Dorothy Parker tour

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Nancie

Dorothy Parker tour

Post by Nancie »

I know there are a few Dorothy Parker fans on this forum so reporting
on my "walking tour of the Round Table in NYC" today. We were supposed to all meet at noon in front of Algonquin Hotel. My sister and I took the train and it was running late so we ran 13 blocks and got there at 12:20,
whew our group was still in the lobby. We forgot today was also the "Puerto Rican Day Parade", ugh the train was jam packed, they even had to add another train. We bypassed the mob pretty well and it was a
wonderful tour of all of Dorothy's hangouts and apartments, our tour guide
Kevin was a gem and so full of tidbids about the 20's. It was fasinating to see all those places and theatres and learn the history. After the tour we
had lunch at the Algonguin, all 17 of us. A huge beautiful cat greeted us,
he rules the place. The hotel is all original and restored, we ate at the famous Round Table, under a painting of the group. The menu was so weird, our lunch cost 70 dollars! The choices on the menu were so weird
I didn't know what anything was, I chose the only thing I understood, spinach quiche. (and that certainly isn't anything I would ever order anywhere that had normal choices). Oh well, it was a one-shot deal and we really enjoyed it. The train ride home was another experience, now all
the Puerto Ricans we rode there with are coming home Drunk and rowdy. A group came into our train screaming "we hate white people" and
so many obscenities. My sister said "lets get off this car and go to the next" and I said no just stay, the next car sounds worse. They were all drinking and smoking on the train and the conductor said "you will have to leave at the next stop". And they say "we aren't getting off this train, we have no money..." Long story short, our conductor gets on loudspeaker and says "we need police in car #3.." So that group gets kicked off and are screaming at my sister and I for being white people. We never said boo we were scared to death of them!
So nice to be home in my little house with my little dog, I guess you just
have to be a city-lover to enjoy, as Dorothy Parker was.
diana

Post by diana »

That was so interesting, Nancie. I'm a huge Dorothy Parker fan -- I was in New York for a few days last month -- but never even thought to go to the Algonquin! Wish I had! Thanks for sharing that.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the report. Glad you got to do something cool.
I just saw on the local news the parade you mentioned. They said it is the oldest, largest and most colorful parade in New York's history- that it has been around since 1958!

I didn't know that and I guess it's a shame you didn't know that either! :smile:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Sounds like an interesting tour Nancie. I could do without the $70 lunch though.

As for the animals on the subway where's Bernie Getz when you need him?
william

Post by william »

Nancie:
You apparently had a great time at the Algonquin; I envy you.

As for the unfortunate incident on the train, do what our Dorothy would have done in your place:
Say - - - "The hell with it."
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

I'm sorry, Nancie, that you had a bad experience on the subway. I have found, though, that the kind of attitude you speak of is rare among most Puerto Ricans. I worked in East Harlem (Spanish Harlem) and now work elsewhere, but still have Puerto Rican clients. East Harlem is one of the last remaining true neighborhoods in New York, where kids play on the streets, neighbors greet one another and sit out on chairs and chat, and I must say, I never ever heard an insulting word--though I am white--quite the contrary--folks always said hello and "buenos dias"--a custom that no longer exists in most "white" neigborhoods. Also, I might note, that Puerto Ricans come in all colors, even white!!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

RH, the incident was on the train home to Jersey,
not the subway, so these rowdy kids were from
our own neighborhoods in Joisey. I think it was just adding alcohol to the occasion that caused the problem since the train ride there was without incident! We got to see some of the parade since it was lined up in front of the Algonk, it was truly colorful!
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

yeah, I know people can get rowdy. glad, though, that the Dorothy Parker tour went well. I, too, cringe when rowdy folks get on the train. Look at it as a kind of tribute to Dorothy who certainly downed a few in her day!!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Nancie, outside of the train incident, it sounds like you had a great trip, I envy you! I didn't get into Dorothy Parker until after I had left the east coast, so, no tour for me. I've been to a couple of the sites that she used to hang out at, but, at the time didn't know, so, they didn't have that special appeal for me. One day I'll get back there and walk in Dorothy's shoes! :smile: