What Are You Reading Now?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

If she is the same miser I'm thinking of, she ate cold oatmeal and her son ended up having his leg amputated because she was tooting around town trying to find a Doctor who would charge the lowest rate?

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Kat

Post by Kat »

Richard wrote about her recently in the Hatchet.
Do you get that magazine, BigSteve?

The thing about the leg was more complicated than that, according to Slack.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

No I don't get the Hatchet yet, Kat. Right now I have reading material coming out of my ears. I'm trying to finish Suzanne Farrell's book "Hanging Onto The Air." Her life in ballet. It's only about 300 pages but it seems I've been reading it forever. A very interesting story but I can't seem to get to the last page. Ever have a book like that?

Last night I started "Climbing High" by Lene Gammelgaard, about her 1996 climb to the top of Everest. Twelve people died during that climb.

-1bigsteve (o:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I can't tell you how many books where I've read everything but the last 20 pages or so. For some reason, the very end didn't seem worth the effort (and this does not mean that I didn't find the book interesting). Perhaps some authors just belabor their arguments a little too long.

Steve, a lot of what was written about Hetty Green was extreme. One of the topics discussed in the book was Colonel Ned's leg. Hetty took him to a number of doctors. She did prefer to pretend to be poor and take him to "free" clinics. One doctor of a free clinic found her out and sent her a bill for her son's care. She paid it.

Now I'm starting The Great Wave: Gilded Age Misfits, Japanese Eccentrics, and The Opening of Old Japan by Christopher Benfey, a professor from Mount Holyoke. Is he someone you know, kfactor?

The United State's Japonica phase was inspired by Fairhaven visitor, John Manjiro. I understand there's a Manjiro Festival planned for October, Fairhaven Guy!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I had a feeling the "facts" on Hetty Green may have been slanted against her. The media loves to bash people. I try to remember something I read years ago, "The bad I do no one wants to forget. The good I do no one wants to remember."

I know what you mean about the last 20 pages of a good book, Cynthia. There are three basic reasons why I sometimes can't read the final few pages or have a hard time getting through them:

1. It's a good story but the author is running out of story and is now getting wordy and doesn't know when to cut it off,

2. For some unknown reason I can't seem to get to the end of the book. Like walking toward a mountain in the distance and no matter how long you walk you are still no closer to getting to it. That's the way I feel about Suzanne Farrell's book. A real interesting book but I can't seem to get to the last page and it is even more interesting now than at the beginning,

3. The ending is real sad. I love "Gypsy & Me," the story of Gypsy Rose Lee written by her son Erik. The whole book is funny and adventurous but the last chapter is rather sad because of her cancer and death. When I get to the end of the book I feel like I have lost a friend so the instant I am done with the last chaper I start at the beginning again and read the first chaper then I close the book. I like to finish the book on a happy note.

Some books start out interesting but suddenly get wordy and into the trash they go.

-1bigsteve (o:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I finally finished ballerina Suzanne Farrell's auto-bio "Holding On To The Air." It is an interesting book. For those of you who love ballet, dance and the theater, you may be interested in getting a copy. It's a good clean story. No dirt. My kind of book.

-1bigsteve (o:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I started reading "Faces of Everest," about attempts to reach the summit over the years. I also began reading "Life Is Too Short" by Mickey Rooney. A funny fast-paced book on his life.

-1bigsteve (o:
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

BigSteve, have you read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer? An incredible book about his first-hand account of the lives loss in the tragic 1996 attempt on Everest.

I just started Into The Wild by the same author about a young man who walked into the Alaskan wilderness in 1992 and did not survive. I read it once years ago, but decided to give it another read due to the movie coming out this year.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Cheryl @ Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:31 am wrote:BigSteve, have you read Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer? An incredible book about his first-hand account of the lives loss in the tragic 1996 attempt on Everest.

I just started Into The Wild by the same author about a young man who walked into the Alaskan wilderness in 1992 and did not survive. I read it once years ago, but decided to give it another read due to the movie coming out this year.

Yes I did read "Into Thin Air," Cheryl, and I really enjoyed it. I read "Into The Wild" also. I just finished "Climbing High" by Lene Gammelgaard. She tells of her experiences of climbing Mount Everest during that same tragic attempt. One of the leaders, Scott Fischer, was her friend. A very good account. It was the first book written about that 1996 attempt.

I'm tempted to read "Climb" written by another climber in the same attempt.

-1bigsteve (o:
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm presently going through "A Private Disgrace" again. When I finish that, I am going to start a biography of Edith Wharton by Hermione Lee.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm wading thru Murder On Trial, 1620-2002.
Yuck! There's a Borden chapter in there that goes like this:

“’Physiognomic perception’ buttresses the ‘physiognomic fallacy,’ which is the belief that ‘the system of signs, the style [of the work of art], is not a language but an utterance of the collective, in which a nation or an age speaks to us. Gombrich’s discussion of formalist art analysis as ‘physiognomic’ implicates it in the kind of essentialism the science of physiognomy engages in when hypothesizing that the formal aspects of one’s appearance reveal the essence of one’s race, nationality, class, or gender.” Etc.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ooops, sorry Kat, I dozed off.

One word: What?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

:shock: Egads.

Not exactly light reading!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Wow, thats some heavy reading there, Kat. So, how does all that tie-in with the Borden murders? Study of Lizzie's face to see if there is some sign there that she did or did not commit the murders?

I'm currently re-reading books 1 through 5 in the Harry Potter series so I can be up to date when I start books 6 and 7. Its been quite some time since I last read them.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh to be reading Harry Potter! I'm all caught up there tho!

The point being made at the spot in the book I was transcribing is hooey but a couple of pages later it is that crime scene photos can be art but not art. The difference is that the forensic view purposely strives to disassociate the cameraman from the scene being photographed so there is no artist "opinion" accidentally embedded in the picture. (This is in the context of early crime scene photography.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

I was going to list for BigSteve all the star bios and autobios I had read between the years Dec. 1999 to Jan 3, 2001. I found the note where I kept track of the non-fiction:
Esther Williams
Bette Davis
Jim Morrison
Shelly Winters pt.2
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
Mrs. David Bowie
Jackie, Ethel, Joan
Truman Capote
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Vincent Price
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother ("Buffy")
Elizabeth Taylor
Dommink Dunne
Lizzie Borden
Shelia Graham
Marilyn Monroe
Tracy & Hepburn
Peter Ustinov
Fran Drescher
Elizabeth Taylor by Kitty Kelley
Josh Logan
Nancy Reagan
The Duke and Duchess of Windsor
Joan Collins
Gloria Vanderbilt- auto
Little Gloria Happy at Last
The Pink Palace- bio of The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Diary of Fanny Burney
Doris Duke
Elsa Maxwell
Diana, Princess of Wales: Shadows of a Princess
Liz Smith
Lee Radziwell
Deitrich
Regis Philbin
Jimmy Carter
Edward the Seventh

My mother had died and this and all the Agatha Christie got me thru it.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

’Physiognomic perception’ buttresses the ‘physiognomic fallacy,’ which is the belief that ‘the system of signs, the style [of the work of art], is not a language but an utterance of the collective, in which a nation or an age speaks to us. Gombrich’s discussion of formalist art analysis as ‘physiognomic’ implicates it in the kind of essentialism the science of physiognomy engages in when hypothesizing that the formal aspects of one’s appearance reveal the essence of one’s race, nationality, class, or gender.”

The feller that wrote that a bookworm by chance? I once heard tell of one of those poor devils, betaken by thoughts of doing himself harm. The body was found in horrid condition, surrounded by the estimated remains of ten volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary. :wink:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Kat @ Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:35 pm wrote:I was going to list for BigSteve all the star bios and autobios I had read between the years Dec. 1999 to Jan 3, 2001. I found the note where I kept track of the non-fiction:
Esther Williams
Bette Davis
Jim Morrison
Shelly Winters pt.2
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
Mrs. David Bowie
Jackie, Ethel, Joan
Truman Capote
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Vincent Price
Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother ("Buffy")
Elizabeth Taylor
Dommink Dunne
Lizzie Borden
Shelia Graham
Marilyn Monroe
Tracy & Hepburn
Peter Ustinov
Fran Drescher
Elizabeth Taylor by Kitty Kelley
Josh Logan
Nancy Reagan
The Duke and Duchess of Windsor
Joan Collins
Gloria Vanderbilt- auto
Little Gloria Happy at Last
The Pink Palace- bio of The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Diary of Fanny Burney
Doris Duke
Elsa Maxwell
Diana, Princess of Wales: Shadows of a Princess
Liz Smith
Lee Radziwell
Deitrich
Regis Philbin
Jimmy Carter
Edward the Seventh

My mother had died and this and all the Agatha Christie got me thru it.

Thats some list, Kat. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mom and I know how much it hurts.

I've read some of those you listed and others I want to read. Over the last few years I've read bios and auto-bios on:

Marilyn Monroe (2)
William Desmond Taylor (2)
Charlie Chaplin (1)
Buster Keaton (1)
Elizabeth Taylor (2)
Gypsy Rose Lee (2)
Joan Rivers (2)
Patrick Macnee (1)
The Judds (2)
Sandra Dee (1)
Judy Collins (1)
An actress friend of mine (4)
Jackie Kennedy (1)
John F. Kennedy (1)
Kennedy, Jr. (1)
Maria Callas (2)
Ari Onassis (1)
Christina Onassis (1)
Georgia O'keeffe (2)
Ansel Adams (1)
Marlo Thomas (2)
Danny Thomas (1)
Sharron Farrell (1)
Anne Frank (3)
Audrey Hepburn (3)
Arnold Schwarzenegger (2)
Lee Harvey Oswald (1)
Rita Hayworth (1)
Charmian Carr (1)
Russell Johnson (1)
Jill Kinmont (1)
Brooke Hayward (1)
Virginia Hill (2)
Frances Farmer (1)
Tammy Wynette (1)
Debbie Reynolds (1)
Jessica Savitch (3)
Sylvia Plath (2)
Alex Deford (1)
Lizzie Borden (3)
Joan Collins (1)
Susan Strasberg (1)
June Havoc (1)
Gavin Maxwell (1)
Robin Lee Graham (2)
Tania Aebi (1)
Christine Demeter (1)
Bill Gates (1)
Kevin Poulsen (1)
Kevin Mitnick (1)
Phil Donohue (2)
Jim Lovell (1)
Gene Kranz (1)
Dolly Parton (1)
Louise Brooks (2)
"The Parades Gone By..."
Vivien Leigh (1)
Jim Backus (1)
Steve McQueen (1)
Patsy Cline (1)
The Lennon Sisters (1)
Mary Pickford (1)
Marion Davies (1)
Rembrandt (1)
Lucy Lawless (1)
Gilda Radner (1)
Maureen O'Hara (1)
Charles Lindberg (1)

That's about all I can remember for now. I'd have to dig through my book pile in my backyard to find the others I've read. I'm not much into fiction but I do read a lot of technical books on math, stock trading, construction as well as adventure stories and a few kid's books to relieve the tension (Miss Hickory is my favorite).

-1bigsteve (o:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Kat @ Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:12 pm wrote:Oh to be reading Harry Potter! I'm all caught up there tho!

The point being made at the spot in the book I was transcribing is hooey but a couple of pages later it is that crime scene photos can be art but not art. The difference is that the forensic view purposely strives to disassociate the cameraman from the scene being photographed so there is no artist "opinion" accidentally embedded in the picture. (This is in the context of early crime scene photography.)
Thanks, Kat, I see what they're saying. Despite trying not to add an "opinion"(or what I would call a fingerprint, that particular photographer's signature touch) the photographer did still have to line up the shots from certain angles for best viewing of the subject, make sure the lighting was optimum for viewing, etc. So, there is still a certain amount of art involved in making a piece that is to be viewed as nonart.

Just think of the amount of changes that were made to the crime scene before the photographs were taken of Abby. Chairs moved, shutters opened, bed taken out of the room, possibly done at the photographer's call to best view his subject.

I'm currently rereading book 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the moment. Can't wait to start The Half-Blood Prince, a new, fresh book for me.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

I am finally reading that book no one wants to hear about:
If I Did It.

I keep stopping and closing my eyes and trying to imagine things working out differently. OJ paints Nicole as some kind of drugged up nut job whose life purpose was to make him miserable. It's less about why did he kill her and more about why didn't he kill her sooner...
I knew he was going to point and say she deserved it- he's not quite saying that in so many words, but it really is implied.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Kat @ Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:58 pm wrote:I am finally reading that book no one wants to hear about:
If I Did It.

I keep stopping and closing my eyes and trying to imagine things working out differently. OJ paints Nicole as some kind of drugged up nut job whose life purpose was to make him miserable. It's less about why did he kill her and more about why didn't he kill her sooner...
I knew he was going to point and say she deserved it- he's not quite saying that in so many words, but it really is implied.

I heard Fred Goldman owns the book rights now? I wonder what OJ will be saying in the book when Fred gets done "editing" it? :grin:

I just bought, "It's Always Something" by Gilda Radner. I read it before and even though I never cared for her I found the book a good "human interest" story. She dies at about the time it was published thinking she had beaten the cancer. Jill Ireland thought she had cancer beaten too when she published her second book, "Life Lines."

I just finished, "Air Disasters," about real-life plane crashes. It makes you want to walk! :shock: :shock:

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm just finishing the new Joe McGinniss (who wrote about Dr. Jeffery McDonald in Fatal Vision ). The book is called Never Enough.

I must admit there are 2 forms of killing here. A wife drugs her husband insensible and then whacks him 5 times with a lead statue. Each blow would have been fatal.
So basically that is 2 weapons, wielded by one woman, and premeditated. I find that unusual, but others here have not- so Missy...
But I will say that I think we have entered a new era of crime- things are changing so rapidly I don't think Offender Profiles are as effective as they were when first developed. The basic foundations of profiling might need updating already.
I don't know if this speeding-up-of-changes is due to technology...
(There are more girls committing crimes for instance, as one example. I have another example, but maybe not for here.)
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm reading "A Man On The Moon" by Andrew Chaikin about the Apollo moon flights. I can't put it down.

I'll be starting "A Time To Die" by Robert Moore about the Russian submarine "Kursk" tragedy.

Speaking of crimes, my dad is reading Patricia Cornwell's book on Jack The Ripper "Portrait of A Killer." He loves it. She thinks she has it solved. Don't they all.

-1bigsteve (o:
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I just finished "Lizzie Borden, A Study in Conjecture" by Marie Belloc Lowndes.

It was a bit different than I expected but then with a work of theory you never know what to expect. The ending kind of left me hanging and wanting more.

I have been trying to alternate between reading factual Lizzie books and then fictional Lizzie books to give me a break. Whether it be a fictional
book on the case like "A Study in Conjecture" or a fictional book that is based on the case like the two novels called Forty Whacks, one by Sheila Macgill Callahan and the other by Geoffrey Homes.

I have been wanting to read the "Trial of Lizzie Borden" by Pearson to see if it us as biased as people say it is, but I have been putting it off as it is a long book and I get the feeling it may be drawn out.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm now reading "Speak to me, Dance with me" by Agnes de Mille
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just finished Hannibal Rising by the great Thomas Harris. A bit depressing. The War Years.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

I read that a few weeks ago. What did you think of it?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I love his turn of phase- he can be elegant. But the subject matter - the making of a monster- was not appealing. When Hannibal was young, you think. . . he can still be saved. But no.

I knew what was going to happen too.
It reminds me I've never read Black Sunday but I'm not sure if that would seem dated now?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Just finished An Unsuitable Attachment (1982) by Barbara Pym. I think our Diana and our Stuart know this author?
Liz Crouthers

Post by Liz Crouthers »

I just finished The tale of the Body Thief the fourth installment of The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. They're really good.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I would like to read the Rice books, but I don't think I have the courage or commitment.

I just finished a Rosamunde Pilcher The Day of the Storm. She wrote The Shell Seekers which was a great book.
This one is the kind of story that *tides you over* like a few cookies before dinner. :smile:
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I am reading two books at the same time. I do that a lot. I am reading Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates by Stewart P. Evans and DOnald Rumbelow, AND Bill Bryosn's Shakespeare: the world as stage.

I am going to do a big 3 hour presentation on Shakespeare and the Elizabethan Stage for the Honors Program where I teach. An invite I just couldn't pass up!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Stef, did you read Will In The World by Stephen Greenblatt?

I just finished reading it.

It's a truly refreshing new book about Shakespeare, just when you thought they couldn't write another truly refreshing new book about Shakespeare.

I was raised by a Shakespeare obssessed father -- one reason why I was named Richard is because when my mother was 9 months pregnant in 1964, he took off to England for the 400th birthday celebrations in Stafford and was inspired by a performance of Richard II. I'm a little miffed I was named after Richard II and not III, but that's another story.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Kat

Post by Kat »

Stef must be a Ripper expert by now because she passes on all the Ripper books she buys to me when she is through! :grin: I'm about 4 behind her already! and I used to collect Ripper books!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Richard @ Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:41 am wrote: -- one reason why I was named Richard is because when my mother was 9 months pregnant in 1964, he took off to England for the 400th birthday celebrations in Stafford and was inspired by a performance of Richard II. I'm a little miffed I was named after Richard II and not III, but that's another story.
I like that story. It reminds me of how we named our second son. His middle name is Stuart because he was conceived in Edinburough, Scotland and we were entrenched in reading about English history at the time, especially Mary, Queen of Scots.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I like it too. Because it's such a Zen thing- saying he's named after Richard II and not Richard III. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Speaking of Hannibal Rising- I caught the last hour of "The Silence of the Lambs" last night and realized that Buffalo Bill, (Jame Gumb) was played by Ted Levine! He is Lt. Stottlemeyer on "Monk!"
Whew! :shock:
Liz Crouthers

Post by Liz Crouthers »

So what's the best Ripper book?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I did not see your question here, sorry.
I don't know which is the best Ripper book, but I kind of liked the James Maybrick brou-ha-ha- over a series of books. I think it started with The Diary of Jack The Ripper.
Then there was a book that said it was fake and then there was a book that said it wasn't a fake, Jack the Ripper The Final Chapter. Beware books that claim "The Final Chapter," because usually they are not...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just started and finished Born Standing Up: a comic's life, an autobiography by Steve Martin, 2007. I liked the way it was presented, with illustrating pictures in black and white placed exactly in the text where they belonged within the story. It was fast to read, but not funny. It was introspectve without being self-indulgent. He always has shown a lot of discipline, I think, in his writing.
Susan

Post by Susan »

I finally had a chance to delve into one of the books I got for Christmas; The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook. I filled the tub with bubblebath, got a glass of white wine and settled in for a good soak and a read. Its great looking through all the old news coverage of the case, and I believe its been stated before, I wish there was more of an index to do a search. But, overall a great Lizzie book to own. :grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I just started A Prescription for Murder, all about the serial killer Dr. Thomas Neill Cream, who killed prostitutes in America and England and was thought by some to be Jack the Ripper. Great bedtime reading! :shock: For a preview click link below.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/h ... 0/7917.ctl
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Neill Cream... isn't that the feller who was in the middle of saying something from the gallows and the rope put the stop to it?
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

That's the legend. No truth in it, apparently.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Here's a complete bio on the Infamous Dr. Cream. " he is said to have uttered "I am Jack..." as the noose fell taut and squeezed the life out of his body. As the Ripper murder scare was still in full force, the immediate assumption was that Cream had confessed to being Jack the Ripper."

http://www.casebook.org/suspects/cream.html
Kat

Post by Kat »

Just finished The Empty House- I'm still on a roll with Rosamunde Pilcher. I love novels set in Britain and this was Cornwall- nice descriptions of cliffs and sea and sunlight and wind and fields and farms. And it ends happily! :smile:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm into "Facing Tyson" by Ted A. Kluck. It is a real good look into human nature. I was surprised that it would be so good! It covers the stories of 15 fighters who fought Mike Tyson and how their lives changed before and after the fights. I can't put it down.

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi You're back!

I finished Reginald Hill's Death Comes For The Fat Man, meaning Andy Dalziel.
I think I've read every book by him. Even the "Joe Sixsmith" books.

I started and put down 2 Minnette Walters, which a few years ago I would never have done!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

It feels good to be posting again. I had to take time off to get work done around here. My backyard still looks like a jungle but it's getting there. I found Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart lost in the weeds and vines so who knows what else I'll find.

I recently started Anne Edward's bio on Barbra Streisand but I put it down and can't get going with it again. Her voice is nice but so cold. I bought a bio yesterday on Ava Gardner. She and I looked like brother and sister when we were both about nineteen. The resemblance is amazing. Hmmm...

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Back in the old days, I never put down a book- it was like a small defeat. I guess now I'm older and know time is more important, I do now put down books and keep going on to the next. I guess I read 6 books this month by looking at past posts.