What Are You Reading Now?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Post by Harry »

That's one of the better books, Angel. It was the book that kindled my interest in the Borden case.

His comparison of Lizzie's times with Bridget's is very interesting and well done.

Enjoy!
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
RayS

Post by RayS »

Edward Radin's 1961 book reignited the discussion on this old case.
First, he showed how biased Edmund Pearson's book was. But he also pointed to Bridget as a possible suspect. It sounds convincing only if you know little about the case, and most readers then would know little.

While a disgruntled employee is always a possible murderer, that is not the case here. Bridget liked Abby most of all (who doubts this?).

All in all, worth reading for his background investigation.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm into a book on Steve McQueen by William F. Nolan, and "Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass." Missed this one when I was kid.

I came across a real good book on digestive problems, a problem all America has due to bad eating habits, called "Gut Solutions" by Brenda Watson. She really gets into it.

I just finished reading a sad story in a July 1981 issue of LIFE magazine titled, "Multiple Sclerosis: A Lingering Nightmare." A story of a young woman who develops the disease. I though the story was ironic because at the time (1970ish) she came down with it a friend of mine developed the disease and they are both from Mass. Small world.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Kat

Post by Kat »

That name "William F. Nolan" sounds familiar.
Is he a Doctor?

My aunty lived with MS almost her whole life. I hope your friend is doing well?
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Kat @ Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:55 pm wrote:That name "William F. Nolan" sounds familiar.
Is he a Doctor?

My aunty lived with MS almost her whole life. I hope your friend is doing well?

William F. Nolan is a writer. He wrote one of McQueen's "Dead or Alive" episodes, which is how they met, and years later wrote McQueen's bio. He was the only writer McQueen trusted. McQueen once said: "I don't trust writers and don't like giving interviews. I always end up sounding like an a--h--- in print."

I lost contact with my friend in 1972. He and his wife moved back to his family estate. I saw him go from a healthy young man in late '69 to being bed-ridden in early '72. He went down hill in a major hurry and the doctors said he would not live another two years. His care really put a burden on is wife who had to survive on welfare with six kids. MS can really create problems. Reading that article brought back a lot of memories. I imagine the woman in the article is long dead too.

-1bigsteve (o:
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

I started reading "Lizzie Borden" by Elizabeth Engstrom. Cant put it down. Fiction but fascinating.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Kat

Post by Kat »

So sorry, bigsteve.
~~~
Well, I got my *Nolan* books out and they are William A. Nolan, M.D.
The Making of a Surgeon, and A Surgeon's World.

I've read mucho autobiographies by doctors and veterinarians. Close.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Engstrom, Bobbie? eeek!

I'm bogged down in my Borley Rectory book still. I had to take a hiatus to read the magazine contributions. WOW! Great stuff!
ravenways

Post by ravenways »

I just finished "Lizzie Didn't Do It!" by Masterton. Now I'm reading "Micah" by Laurell K. Hamilton, the witness statements, and Under The Black Flag by David Cordingly. That one's about pirates. I'm also getting ready for a re-read of "The Zombie Survival Guide." by Max Brooks. I tend to have at least two or three things going at one time. :peanut16:

Lolly
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

I finished Lizzie Borden by Engstrom. She certainly thinks out of the box.

Lolly- The Zombie Survival guide????? I just had to look that up, that sounds hilarious...

Mohandas Gandhi
ravenways

Post by ravenways »

The Zombie Survival Guide is hysterical. It reads like a manual of what to do if zombies ever attack. It talks about the best weapons to use for killing them, the best ways to travel and how to set up your own survival camp! Way funny stuff! :shock:

Lolly
Richard

Post by Richard »

To get ideas for my Lizzie Borden detective series, I'm reading through a lot of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Just finished The Sign of the Four and knocked off The Naval Treaty and The Golden Pince Nez. Thinking of tackling Hound of the Bakervilles again, first time since high school.

As an off branch of this, I started watching my DVDs of the Basil Rathbone Universal Holmes movies. Last night watched The Pearl of Death and tonight will see The Woman in Green.

I also just read the first book in the Rhys Bowen series of Molly Murphy mysteries. The first book, Murphy's Law, is about a young Irish immigrant girl who comes over to America via Ellis Island and becomes a private investigator. Although I just read the first book which was about a murder at Ellis Island, I know the following books take place in New York's Greenwich Village at the turn of last century.

There's an idea for a series: Bridget Sullivan, Consulting Detective.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Kat

Post by Kat »

I got the Larson book (had credit on a Borders Gift Card) and am deep into Marconi and the British Post Office and hurt feelings.

Am also awaiting my LuLu copy of the Hatchet!
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I just started reading a new biography of Charles Addams.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Richard @ Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:48 am wrote:To get ideas for my Lizzie Borden detective series, I'm reading through a lot of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Just finished The Sign of the Four and knocked off The Naval Treaty and The Golden Pince Nez. Thinking of tackling Hound of the Bakervilles again, first time since high school.

As an off branch of this, I started watching my DVDs of the Basil Rathbone Universal Holmes movies. Last night watched The Pearl of Death and tonight will see The Woman in Green.

I also just read the first book in the Rhys Bowen series of Molly Murphy mysteries. The first book, Murphy's Law, is about a young Irish immigrant girl who comes over to America via Ellis Island and becomes a private investigator. Although I just read the first book which was about a murder at Ellis Island, I know the following books take place in New York's Greenwich Village at the turn of last century.

There's an idea for a series: Bridget Sullivan, Consulting Detective.

You must have been reading my mind, Richard. I have been planning on starting The Complete Sherlock Holmes tonight. "The Hound of The Baskervilles" is my favorite so far. I once rented both the 1939 and 1959 versions and played them back to back to see how close they stick to each other. I had my sodas and popcorn and had a blast. I love stories based upon the dark, moody English moors, "The Hound...", "Jamaica Inn", etc.

The strangest Holmes case to me is "The Problem of Thor Bridge." SPOILER: Why that woman would blow her own brains out to get back at someone else gives me the creeps.

Bridget Sullivan, Consulting Detective in: "The Case of The Missing Hatchet" I love it. :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I finished the Larson and wasn't disappointed, but his lyrical quality was missing. It was interesting, but never compelling.

Then I read a new Julia Quinn, the new Dick Francis, and am now reading Isaac's Storm, by Eric Larson, that Diana recommended. This is more the way I remember him from The Devil in the White City.
taralara

Post by taralara »

i haven't read Devil in the White City yet. Definitely on my list, though.

I'm actually just reading A Private Disgrace, an older edition that my mom left me when she moved a few weeks ago. :grin: also I'm reading Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I'm always on the lookout for nwew memoirs and biographies, so its great reading these recommendations.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm about to start "Mabel", a biography of Mabel Normand by Betty Harper Fussell. I am so enjoying the books about the silent film movies and stars lately. Recently two friends and I went to see a 1929 silent film "Hotel Imperial" with Pola Negri and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm so glad to be living near Washington DC where one can always find things like that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Angel, I just picked up that book also!
Next door to my store is an antique and second hand book store. It is WAY too convenient, for if I ever get bored, I close up shop for five minutes and go browsing next door. I get into all sorts of trouble over there! (PS: that's where I bought my original copy of Porter thirty years ago--for $1.50!!)
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I recently finished The Fall River Tragedy by Porter.
Porter tries to make Lizzie look guilty by sarcastically (very sarcastically) saying that she is innocent. I guess Porter had to do it that way in order to prevent from being sued by Lizzie.

Since then I have been reading short stories from "Such women are deadly" by Gribble and "The Fine Art of Murder" by Gibson. The latter seems very familiar in both the cover and the stories, I think that one of my Elementary school teachers read stories from it to the class.

I haven't decided which Lizzie book to start reading next. Usually after reading a book that implies Lizzie was guilty, I try to find one that implies Lizzie was innocent. Since there are few innocent books compared to the guilty books, I sometimes find a neutral book or a fictional book.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Which books are considered to be *Lizzie innocent* books?
Is Masterton?
Muriel Arnold? I can't recall.
Spiering, Radin...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just read the new Evanovitch (which was back up to par) and am now reading Master Detective: The Life and Crimes of Ellis Parker, America's Real-Life Sherlock Holmes by John Reisinger.
He played a role in the Lindbergh case.
It's interesting- there are cases he solved that I never heard of but seemed to have been infamous at the time in New Jersey- Trenton area. Turn of the century thru 1930's.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Kat, I live about 10 minutes from the Flemington courthouse where the Lindburgh Kidnapping Case was tried. Each summer they do a two and a half hour recreation of the more sensational parts of the trial. I go every year because it's really breathtaking. It's only interesting that the trial recreation is swayed towards Hauptman's innocence. It's interesting how you would think this more conservative and rural part of New Jersey would be more accepting of the guilty verdict, and not officially, for tourists, portray the verdict as flawed. The acting is great. There's one guy who plays the gym teacher from the Bronx (I forgot his name) who just steals the show.

But it's a great entertainment, capped by the fact that they use some of the real chairs that Lindburgh and Hauptmann sat in. And outside the courthouse they have young kids dressed like newspaper boys from the 1930s running around shouting the headlines to draw people in to the event.

The Devil in the White City was a great book.

I used to be in love with Mabel Normand. When I was in sixth grade, I fantasized that I was Charlie Chaplin in 1914 making movies with her and giving her hell because I don't like her directing of Mabel At The Wheel. Other kids were playing baseball at the time...but I'm weird that way!

Shelley, I'm about 300 pages into Moby Dick. I actually never read it in full before! Wow. The scene where Ahab has the severed whale head hoisted in front of him and he starts speaking a monologue to it like it was the sacrificed head of a sea god....I don't think any of the movie versions of Moby Dick really cpatured the exact feel of the book. It's a unique work of art.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! That's really something!

Had you ever heard of Ellis Parker? Harry told me he had- I hadn't until now.
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

Just finished reading Stephen King's "Cell". If you are a Stephen King fan, get it. It reminds me more of his earlier books. I am a die-hard King fan...read Carrie 28 years ago while I was expecting my first son...and have read just about everything he has written. Years ago, I read "The Mist" and thought twice about going to the supermarket....now I'm getting a little nervous about my cell phone!
Richard

Post by Richard »

For those who would like to check out Ellis Parker, this site has a lot of his writing. He's quite a find. Thanks Harry and Kat,

http://www.ellisparkerbutler.info/
Kat

Post by Kat »

Ah, I was at the library and picked the Ellis Parker book up off the New Release shelf. That is my favorite shelf, besides Large Print! :smile:
I told Harry about the book which was waiting now on my dining room table, asking him if he had heard of him, and of course he had! :wink:
The link you gave is not to my Ellis Parker. :?:
Here's my guy:
http://www.johnreisinger.com/parker.html

Your guy seems interesting, too, Richard!
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Yep, those 4 are Lizzie Innocent books.

Masterton - Lizzie didn't do it ( who did? )
Radin - Lizzie Borden, The Untold Story ( Bridget did it )
Muriel Arnold - Lizzie Borden, The Hands of Time ( Bridget did it )
Spiering - Lizzie ( Emma did it ), Also
Richard and Debbie Senate - Phychic Solutions, The Lizzie Borden Case ( Sean did it )

I have heard Forty Whacks, A Study in Conjecture, and Browns book are Lizzie innocent as well but I haven't read them yet.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I am finally starting the November 2006 Hatchet...today.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I just finished, "Gracie: A Love Story" by George Burns. It's a bitter-sweet story of his life with Gracie Allen, his wife.

I'm now into Alice In Wonderland.

-1bigsteve (o:
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Reading info on Morphine, geesh they drugged poor little Lizzie, then questioned her, then tried to convict her on morphine induced testimony.

Anyone got any great internet links to Effects of Morphine?

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Hans Christian Andersen complete fairy tales with illistrations. Just finished reading his "Snow Queen." I can't figure out why she wanted that boy. So many stories don't explain the "why" part. Nice story though.

OK, so I'm still a kid at heart. :smile:

-1bigsteve (o:
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Oh gosh! I read that along time ago! it was good reading! I'm between books right now, finished "The De Vinci Code" and then of course had to see the movie, It was interesting and I had a hard time putting it down! The movie ran pretty close to the book, which is cool, its almost like seeing the book come to life, if ya know what I mean. Stay young at heart always, I'm with Peter Pan on that one!! lol
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

A few recommendations:

It Happened in Boston?, by Russell Greenan. A novel about a mad artist who thinks he can bring about world peace by murdering seven people at random. Many interesting facts about art technique. The Secret Life of Algernon Pendleton, also about a madman, is also excellent.

Fancies and Goodnights, by John Collier. Short stories, often dealing with the supernatural in a tongue-in-cheek way. Later editions, including the one currently in print, contain more stories.

Phantastes and Lilith, by George MacDonald. Two novels about men who find themselves in fantastic worlds.

The four mysteries of Sarah Caudwell, of which the best are the first, Thus Was Adonis Murdered and the last, The Sibyl in her Grave. Her detective, Hilary Tamar, is never referred to by pronoun, so you can't tell if it's a man or a woman.

Also, does anyone know the exact title of a children's book from the early fifties about a man named Mr. P. Buckingham who keeps having accidents in which he loses a major part of his body? He always says, "It didn't hurt." Finally, there is nothing left of him but his still-living head. I have been searching for it unsuccessfully. (I have fond memories of it, but I would not be surprised if I found it mediocre now.)
Susan

Post by Susan »

I've never read it myself, sounds like an interesting book. Here you go, Constantine;

BRAVE MR. BUCKINGHAM — Dorothy Kunhardt — Harcourt, Brace=A toy Indian made of Nugg could always say, in spite of calamities, "THAT DIDN'T HURT." Nonsense with a moral, for children (and adults) by the author of Junket Is Nice. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'll be soon starting "Life Wish" and "Life Line" both by Jill Ireland. I read "Life Wish" a few years ago and enjoyed it. Too bad she died at 54. Just a kid. I think it's sad that she wrote that book thinking she had beat cancer then died soon after it's publication when the same cancer came back stronger than ever. I guess she thought the fight was just a 1 rounder. It's a bitter-sweet story.

-1bigsteve (o:
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

A couple of short stories I recommend:

The Pond, a little-known and uncollected short story by Saki (H.H. Munro), one of six appearing in an appendix to A.J. Langguth's A Life of H.H. Munro (1982). It is far and away the best, and I think it a neglected masterpiece (as I said on the discussion page to the article on Saki in Wikipedia). It (and the other five) may be found at
http://www.gwywyr.com/saki/index.html

Old Smokytoes, a surreal story by Louis de Bernières, author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I found it in an anthology of contemporary literature apparently available only in Ireland and out of print even there. It's worth looking up.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

"Forever Liesl" by Charmian Carr

A real good book about the casting and making of "The Sound of Music."

-1bigsteve (o:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

By the way, has anyone ever read Dicken's "The Old Curiosity Shop?" Is it worth reading? I thought I would give it a try after finishing "Bid Time Return."

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm reading Diana, (2006) by Sarah Bradford, Viscountess Bangor.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

1bigsteve @ Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:55 am wrote:By the way, has anyone ever read Dicken's "The Old Curiosity Shop?" Is it worth reading? I thought I would give it a try after finishing "Bid Time Return."

-1bigsteve (o:
It's not Dickens's best work but I still recommend reading it. If for no other reason read it to read about the truly yucky, horrible Quilp. He has to be right up there in the top three of Dickens's rotten characters. :lol:

I read the book because the McGuffrey Readers has the passage from it where Little Nell dies. That scene was really big during the Victorian Age. Lizzie most assuredly would have read it.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Right now I have more than one book I'm reading. My main book is:

Triumph. The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church.

But, just recently I had a few books come in I ordered via interlibrary loans. All on Lizzie:

The Knowlton Papers

Did Lizzie Borden Axe For it? by David Rehak.

Lizzie Borden: A Study in Conjecture by Marie Belloc Lowndes

[/b]
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Thanks, DWilly. I'll give The Old Curiosity Shop a try. Sounds like it's right up my street.

It seems that Dickens had a habit of bumping-off his stories heroines: Nell and Nancy from Oliver Twist.

-1bigsteve (o:
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Just purchased my copy of Victoria Lincoln's "A Private Disgrace". I just started reading chapter 1. I have wanted to read this book for some time now. I know I have alot of catching up to do to get to the point of you guys. :grin:
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm into "Holding On To The Air", an auto-bio by dancer Suzanne Farrell. A real good book detailing her life and rise in the world of ballet.

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm reading Dust, by Martha Grimes. It's a Richard Jury British mystery. (The series where the titles are names of pubs.)
I got this from the Library- also got a new Diana bio by Paul Burrell, and a autobio by Robin McGraw. (Dr. Phil's wife).
Angel

Post by Angel »

stuartwsa @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:08 am wrote:I enjoyed it as much as when I read it many years ago, and I thought that Vidor came up with the right answer. All of the information about the lawsuits in the Shelby family was pretty compelling. And the visit with Mary Miles Minter at the end bordered on the surreal.
I know another book came out after this one (The Deed of Death, by Robert Giroux, I think) which had a different solution, but I thought Kirpatrick's book had a much stronger case.
What is your opinion, Angel?
I finally got around to reading "A Deed of Death", and it is so much more compelling than the Kirkpatrick book for some reason. I'm not finished with it yet, but I am really enjoying it. I had been convinced up until this point that Shelby did it, but now I don't know.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Angel @ Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:57 am wrote:
stuartwsa @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:08 am wrote:I enjoyed it as much as when I read it many years ago, and I thought that Vidor came up with the right answer. All of the information about the lawsuits in the Shelby family was pretty compelling. And the visit with Mary Miles Minter at the end bordered on the surreal.
I know another book came out after this one (The Deed of Death, by Robert Giroux, I think) which had a different solution, but I thought Kirpatrick's book had a much stronger case.
What is your opinion, Angel?
I finally got around to reading "A Deed of Death", and it is so much more compelling than the Kirkpatrick book for some reason. I'm not finished with it yet, but I am really enjoying it. I had been convinced up until this point that Shelby did it, but now I don't know.

I know what you mean. I like "Deed of Death" much better myself. I don't have a clue as to who did it. It could have been a stranger or Shelby or any number of people. People have accused Shelby because she was protective of Mary and carried a .38 revolver. Mothers had to be protective of their daughters in Sleazewood and that caliber is one of the most popular. A gazillion people had/have guns in that caliber.

It is a very interesting case.

-1bigsteve (o:
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Looks like I'll have to dig out my copy of "Deed pf Death" and give it a second read!
BTW, there is a website dedicated to the case that is a wealth of information. I don't have the web address, but do a Google search on "Taylorology" and you'll find it.