What Are You Reading Now?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I agree, Kat. Life is too short for bad books. If I lose interest in a book out it goes. I buy most of mine at Goodwill's so I don't feel bad about spending tons of money. I probably throw out two thirds of the books I buy.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Kat

Post by Kat »

I have gift cards to Barnes & Noble and got 3 paperbacks as a treat to myself. Casual reading- just finished Mary Balogh's The Secret Pearl, a Regency Romance. It is a re-release. Everything ends happily. :smile:

Also then just finished A Richard Jury mystery by Martha Grimes: The Old Wine Shades. I must admit she has better books than this one, altho I am in love with her characters. She is in my top 5 writers.

Back to Regency Romance now with Mary Balogh's The Gilded Web. I've no doubt this will also end happily ever after. :sunny:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Oooo, I love gift cards for bookstores! I'm currently on the third book in the series of The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, its called The Amber Spyglass. After having seen the movie of the first book, I was intrigued by the storyline and wanted to find out what happened next. Plus, there is only so much of the story that makes it into the movie.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

That sounds interesting. I think I will see if my library has it. Thanks!
Harry

Post by Harry »

This thread is the most viewed on the forum with over 16,000 views. The next is Lizzie Borden in popular culture with over 15,000.

We do like to read around here! :smile:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, that's true!
Every two months I also read Hatchet submissions, over and over and over. Then I read the magazine itself when it's published in the third month! I should add that into my reading list. :sunny: And to think it used to be every other month! Wow!
I learn a lot during every submission process! That's great stuff!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

After trying for decades I finally got a copy of "KEATON" by Rudi Blesh! It is a bio of Buster Keaton and I have to say I love it! I can't put it down! Blesh, a friend of Buster's, interviewed Buster so the book must be accurate. It is funny! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Today I picked up "Hitchcock's Notes: An Authorized and Illustrated Look Inside the Creative Mind of Alfred Hitchcock" by Dan Auiler. It's a very nice book containing pre-shooting drawings of the scenes Hitch wanted to shoot, reasons for the camera angles and notes about the scenes in his films. It's like reading his brain! It's a very insightful book.

I also picked up "We Took to The Woods" by Louise Dickinson Rich. 1942 edition but it is still in print!

I'm also reading "Sonnet" by Lydia Bird. It's about her sailing her sail boat from Maryland to Greece. Neat book.

-1bigsteve (o:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I was going to be on a plane for awhile, so I brought the book "The Wrong Man" by James Neff. It's about the case of Dr. Sam Sheppard. I got interested in this case when quite awhile back there was a news story about his son having the Dr.s body exhumed for more forensic evidence. In the acknowledgments of the book, it says that three times, important physical evidence was discovered and sent off to be DNA tested and twice, bodies were exhumed and studied for clues. In 1998 the Ohio Supreme Court ruled that the estate of Dr. Sheppard would be able to go to trial with a wrongful imprisonment lawsuit. I'm almost 1/2 way through and it's pretty interesting.
Bobbypoz

Post by Bobbypoz »

In between my Class Management textbooks, English Language Learners material, and readings on the Constitution I am patiently waiting for the new Julie Andrews autobiography "Home" to arrive. This will be my first NON class reading since September, can't wait! When UPS was here yesterday I was still at work (drat!). From what I can see the books is getting really wonderful reviews! Heres to a great weekend doing homework!!!

~Bob :cool: :lol: :shock:
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~ Albus Dumbledore
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I just threw away Julie Andrew's first auto-bio this morning. It was moldy. I was going to read about her but I just couldn't get into it. I was never a fan of hers but I liked her performance in The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. When I heard she had appeared nude in her films she just dropped off my radar. I saw the reviews for her new book and I have to give her credit for the guts she had for supporting her entire family with her singing, living in poverty and enduring that crap from her step-dad. I'll be on the look out for a used copy of "Home." It will be on Goodwill's shelves in a couple of weeks.

-1bigsteve (o:
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm starting the biography of Ellen Terry. She was quite the gal.
Angel

Post by Angel »

duplicate. sorry
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Last night I began "Helter Skelter" about the Manson killings. I read it years ago but I had forgotten how good a book it was.

I bought Lauren Bacall's two auto-bios, "By Myself" and "By Myself and Then Some." I don't care for her much but I like tough women and usually end up liking people after reading about them.

I also bought "Gable & Lombard" by Warren G. Harris.

Believe it or not I also bought "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham. His story about his going around the world in a sailboat all alone at 16 (1965). I didn't like it the first two times I read it so I have no idea why I'm going to read it again. He is not someone I can "bond" with. He never looked into the camera and seems to have very little personality. Tania Aebi's similar story, "Maiden Voyage" was so superior it's unbelievable.

-1bigsteve (o:
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I've just completed "Holidays on Ice" by David Sedaris -- brilliant comic relief.

And I've just started reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Krakauer.
Read it before about 5 years ago. But decided to reread since the FLDS
has hit the news again.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I've almost finished Harlan Coben's latest thriller, "Hold Tight." Like his "ethical delimmas du moment" springing out of suburban New Jersey. Also like the thrills, the twists, the turns, and the surprises.
Returning to Julie Andrews: If you like "The Sound of Music," try Charmian Carr's "Forever Liesl." It's okay.
Yeah, Julie let us Boomers down when she went braless, then topless.
I'm one of the few, I guess, who like her in the Gertrude Lawrence biopic "Star!"
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just finished I Am Legend, by Richard Matheson not knowing it was basically a novella (157 pages). There were about 8 other stories in the book (soft back- Library), which I may or may not pursue. I'm also drooling over the oversized and gorgeous magazine, Florida Architecture that I splurged part of my Christmas giftcard on.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Just read Tourists, Retirees, and Other Reasons to Stay in Bed by David Grimes. He is (or was) a humor writer for the Sarasota, Flordia, Herald-Tribune.
It was pretty funny. He mentions quite often our 10 month long summers, rampant alligators, anf huge palmetto bugs. :smile:
I got it from the Library.
He seems to have an "issue" with snow-bird Canadians tho...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Right now I am about a quarter of the way through Pearson's 1937 The Trial of Lizzie Borden. I want to see if it is as biased as they say it is.

I wish that Pearson would have quoted more of his sources. On page 84 Pearson claims Lizzie read a book about the crime ( Pearson hints that it was studies in murder ) but he does not say how he knows that Lizzie read it.

On the same page he claims that when Hiram Harrington died before confessing to the crime that Lizzie said that her last chance of being cleared was gone, again no source quoted for an interesting claim. Perhaps he was protecting his sources.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

DJ @ Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 pm wrote:I've almost finished Harlan Coben's latest thriller, "Hold Tight." Like his "ethical delimmas du moment" springing out of suburban New Jersey. Also like the thrills, the twists, the turns, and the surprises.
Returning to Julie Andrews: If you like "The Sound of Music," try Charmian Carr's "Forever Liesl." It's okay.
Yeah, Julie let us Boomers down when she went braless, then topless.
I'm one of the few, I guess, who like her in the Gertrude Lawrence biopic "Star!"

I love Charmian Carr's "Forever Liesl." Especially the chapter about dark chocolate! Mmmm yummm! :grin: Here's a picture of her puppy...

-1bigsteve (o:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Fargo, I thought maybe the reference to Hiram Harrington and Lizzie's suspicion of him might be in The Sourcebook, but I could not find it there. Oh well...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just finishedFriend of the Devil by Peter Robinson.
I've read almost all of his books, but am 2 more behind. Something to look forward to. British Police Procedurals, with recurring characters; modern.

In this one he had too many female character names- he had to for his plot, but I did lose track and I hate that when it happens! :smile:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Partial quote:
Fargo @ Wed May 21, 2008 11:16 am wrote:On the same page he claims that when Hiram Harrington died before confessing to the crime that Lizzie said that her last chance of being cleared was gone, again no source quoted for an interesting claim. Perhaps he was protecting his sources.
For general information, Harrington died in 1907. I don't know when this alleged statement was made and I think it only appears in Pearson.

IMO, if anyone would say that Lizzie made such a statement it would have been her closest friend, Helen Leighton. Were they bosom friends in 1907?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

I was reading the Helen Leighton quotes in The Sourcebook and that's not in there. I don't think it's anywhere.
It's like a combination of Lizzie's inquest statement where she names Uncle Hiram as being on poor terms with her father, and all the *quotes* from later that say she stayed in Fall River to walk the street with her head held high and vindicated once the real culprit was unmasked.

I just read Pearson's quote: it's awful.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Just finished Patricia Cornwell's The Front, it was sort of a second part to At Risk. They were both excellent. Now back to The Hatchet.
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

I just finished" The Suspicions of Detective Whicher" by Kate Summerscale. It was very good. The story has some similarities to the case against Lizzie. Not so much the original murder but more so the newspaper accounts and the opinions of the townspeople. It takes place in England in 1860 and is a true story about the murder of a small boy named Saville Kent. Very Victorian!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is that the Constance Kent story?
That's a fascinating case!
I think one of our magazine contributors gave us an offering on the case (?Mary Naugle?)
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

Yes Kat. I had never heard of the case before. It was just by hapenstance that I picked up the book. I found it fascinating because of the similarities to the Borden case and the way society viewed young , single victorian ladies. I could not put it down. I would like to read more about this case.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Ayup - Mary Naugle did write up a fine piece on Constance Kent. I think that may have been the first in her "Unwomanly Weapons" series she wrote for the mag.
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

The Constance Kent case is dealt with in one section of the old British horror movie Dead of Night, which I heartily recommend (though not particularly for that section).
Last edited by Constantine on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

And the missing nightdress!

I've been reading another Peter Robinson book but it stinks of perfume and is making me sick. So I'm stuck.
But I am writing, so that's where my time is going the last week.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm reading Naomi Judd's book, "Love Can Build A Bridge" for about the tenth time. Her "rags to riches" story fascinates me. I love reading about people who made something of themselves.

I am also into, "Slim" by Slim Keith. An auto-bio about her life. Very interesting and fast paced. Her name was mentioned in Hitchcock's "Rear Window."

-1bigsteve (o:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I've got Eric Clapton's new Auto Bio on my dining room table. I'm thinking of looking at the pictures. :smile: It's due at the Library like in 2 days.
DJ

Post by DJ »

"The Murder at the Vicarage" by Agatha Christie, and I share this because it seems everyone in Miss Marple's village has a watch or clock that's off, so no one can place the all-important chronology of the murder and its aftermath correctly. Characters rely upon the village clock sounding as well-- what they were doing and where they were when it chimed.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I bought Agatha's auto bio today and look forward to reading it. I love the warm, homey, sedate settings she uses in her novels. It reminds me of easier times. Now days writers rely on explosions, bloody espionage, serial killers, car chases, plane crashes and such to fill their books. I love the simplicity of writers like Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle. I can relax in my easy chair with her novel and a cup of hot chocolate and be more than content. :smile:

-1bigsteve (o:
DJ

Post by DJ »

Christie is masterful not only at constructing plots, but also at presenting characters and developing them with finesse. Her insights into humanity are universal, and she's focused-- though not doggedly so-- on the organic/metabolic/genetic elements that may factor into criminal activity. Moreover, there's her dry wit and sense of humor.
Going back to character development-- to me, good fiction writing does not exist without strong characterization, not only of major personages, but of minor. It's not anywhere near enough to have incessant action and a screeching, two-wheel-turn story.
Also, of course, there is St. Mary Mead, Miss Marple's delightful village.
Of the modern mystery writers, I put Sue Grafton at the head of the list, mainly because of Kinsey Millhone and her small circle of mostly elderly associates. I also like the "film noir" feel of Santa Teresa and its Southern California environs, however modernized. I like Grafton's presentations of So. Cal. desert and mountain towns gone-to-seed. I think Jonathan Kellerman does an excellent job of capturing Los Angeles and its panoply of suburbs.
Why stop at the hot chocolate, Steve? Join Mrs. Price Ridley of "The Murder at the Vicarage" for a glass (or two) of damson gin. (I've had damson jam, but never damson gin. More's the pity, I suppose.
Since we're in this Forum-- another similarity to the novel at hand and the Borden case: the importance of the house maid, and what she can recall.
Yes: I'm fond of Sir A.C. Doyle, as well. Especially the short stories.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I did start the autobio on Eric Clapton. There's stuff he admits that I would leave out!

I collected Agatha Christie paperbacks (for reading)! Anyone want to buy my collection? :smile:
Anyway, I have 33 titles and 1 Mary Westmacott- her other name. They saved my sanity when my mother died. I read one after another -and looking for new titles, going to used bookstores, got me out and about. I read for a year.

I also have about 40 John Dickson Carr- master of *the locked-room mystery.* (That includes Carter Dickson.)

Martha Grimes, in her books named after pubs in England, has built up wonderful characters who I lovelovelove!

I guess my favorites are British mysteries.
Allen

Post by Allen »

I have just started to reread "Her Name, Titanic: The Untold Story of the Sinking and Finding of the Unsinkable Ship" by Charles Pellegrino. It's been awhile since I've read any books on this subject, which happens to be one of my favorite subjects in the world. I've started to have the same familiar craving for all things Titanic. So I pulled down a book off the shelf to curl up with for the next few days. Its funny how you can read a book, maybe several times, then after it sits on the shelf opening it up is almost like reading it for the first time.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
diana

Post by diana »

Allen @ Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:10 pm wrote: . . . Its funny how you can read a book, maybe several times, then after it sits on the shelf opening it up is almost like reading it for the first time.
Isn't that true! And aren't we lucky that it is! I wonder if it has something to do with our personal perspective changing over time?

I just finished reading 'The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst' for the 4th or 5th time. I bought it over twenty years ago and it's falling to pieces now. But each time I read it, I see his tragic story from a different vantage point -- and details I don't even remember from other readings take on a new significance.

BTW I just got my Amazon mail order of 'The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher' (thanks for the recommend, JoAnne!) -- it looks like a great read!
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I have some of the Ellis Peter books & they are a really good read. I think Brother Cadfael is brilliant. Right now I just finished one of the older copies of The Hatchet so I started reading Bread & Roses about the 1912 mill strike in Lawrence, MA
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

DJ @ Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:00 am wrote:Christie is masterful not only at constructing plots, but also at presenting characters and developing them with finesse. Her insights into humanity are universal, and she's focused-- though not doggedly so-- on the organic/metabolic/genetic elements that may factor into criminal activity. Moreover, there's her dry wit and sense of humor.
Going back to character development-- to me, good fiction writing does not exist without strong characterization, not only of major personages, but of minor. It's not anywhere near enough to have incessant action and a screeching, two-wheel-turn story.
Also, of course, there is St. Mary Mead, Miss Marple's delightful village.
Of the modern mystery writers, I put Sue Grafton at the head of the list, mainly because of Kinsey Millhone and her small circle of mostly elderly associates. I also like the "film noir" feel of Santa Teresa and its Southern California environs, however modernized. I like Grafton's presentations of So. Cal. desert and mountain towns gone-to-seed. I think Jonathan Kellerman does an excellent job of capturing Los Angeles and its panoply of suburbs.
Why stop at the hot chocolate, Steve? Join Mrs. Price Ridley of "The Murder at the Vicarage" for a glass (or two) of damson gin. (I've had damson jam, but never damson gin. More's the pity, I suppose.
Since we're in this Forum-- another similarity to the novel at hand and the Borden case: the importance of the house maid, and what she can recall.
Yes: I'm fond of Sir A.C. Doyle, as well. Especially the short stories.

I know what you mean, David.

I like the English "who dunn it's" more than most of the American crime stories. With a Christy novel you get a simple crime committed and everything happens within a large manor house or on the grounds of a big house, on a ship or in a small town. In American novels the criminal is being chased all over the country with bodies piling up all along the way. It's always a race against time.

I also love stories set on the dark, foggy English moors. Stories like "Jamaica Inn" and "The Hound of The Baskervilles" are two of my favorites. I love that sense of mystery not knowing who, or what, is lurking out there in the dark. I also love the "weirdness" that crops up in some of the Sherlock Holmes stories. The woman who rigs up that gun to make her own suicide look like some one else murdered her; or the guy who murders people with a snake; the guy following that girl on his bike; or Professor Moriarty chasing Sherlock all over the Alps trying to put a bullet through Sherlock's head with that air rifle. I love the odd "I couldn't see that plot coming" types of story lines. The English writers are good at that. I love it.

-1bigsteve (o:
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

May I suggest that anyone who is going to include "spoilers" in their messages give warning of the fact. Not everyone has read what you have. Thanks.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

diana @ Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:49 pm wrote:
Allen @ Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:10 pm wrote: . . . Its funny how you can read a book, maybe several times, then after it sits on the shelf opening it up is almost like reading it for the first time.
Isn't that true! And aren't we lucky that it is! I wonder if it has something to do with our personal perspective changing over time?

I just finished reading 'The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst' for the 4th or 5th time. I bought it over twenty years ago and it's falling to pieces now. But each time I read it, I see his tragic story from a different vantage point -- and details I don't even remember from other readings take on a new significance.

BTW I just got my Amazon mail order of 'The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher' (thanks for the recommend, JoAnne!) -- it looks like a great read!

I tried reading "The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst" but it was so moody I couldn't get through it. I love stories about sea faring though.

-1bigsteve (o:
DJ

Post by DJ »

Steve, the British mystery authors (generally speaking) tend to put more thought into the psychology of their characters-- what makes them snap, drives them toward the brink, sends them over the edge.
That's why I like American writer Jonathan Kellerman-- he's a child psychologist, and he gets into the minds of not just his criminals, but all his characters. Plus, he shines when describing Los Angeles and its many and varied neighborhoods.
I stopped reading James Patterson after about five of his books, which seem to be big on body counts and awfully repetitive otherwise. But, hey, he found a formula that works.
A good modern American thriller writer is Harlan Coben. He's very "East Coast": NYC and its New Jersey suburbs.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I've been reading wonderful Hatchet contributions! Yay!!
I am lucky! :smile:

I'm also reading a birthday gift from Stefani: When You Are Engulfed In Flames, by David Sedaris. It's a collection of essays. I love his writing. Another book I read of his was Me Talk Pretty One Day. That got me started on him.
He's darkly humorous. But I get a chuckle about every 6th page. That's pretty good. :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:thumleft:

That's Cool DIANA:

The Strange Last Voyage of DONALD CROWHURST is a tragic story. Great book. Crowhurst was out of his league. Not the greatest sailor, but brave non-the-less for taking on the voyage he did, with the vessel he used. Though, I think he already had mental problems before entering the race and the stresses of the voyage put him over the top.

One interesting titbit..............Donald Crowhurst's trimaran was designed by ARTHUR PIVER. Piver was originally from FALL RIVER. In the late 50s Piver left Lizzie's SWANSEA in a small trimaran he built and reached England.

I can relate somewhat to Crowhurst. (Not mentally, I hope)

In 2003 I set off in my sailboat to solo cross the Atlantic. After 2 days offshore I became exhausted and ill. At the same time a "no name storm" came up the coast packing winds of 60K. I turned back just in time and hid out in Mystic Harbor Conn. I developed a high fever. Later at the hospital I discovered I was fighting a real bad infection.

In 2004 I tried again. I anguished over whether I really wanted to do the voyage the second time. But, after failing the first time, and having all my friends rooting for me, I didn't want to let anyone down, so in 42 degree weather offshore I went. After 3 days I realized how Donald Crowhurst must have felt. I could not see how I could return. Everyone was counting on me.

But, at the end of the third day I decided it was not what I wanted to do, the time was not right, so I turned around and headed home. Upon returning everyone was happy I didn't go, but were afraid to tell me.

(I have not given up my dream. After I complete the refit of my vessel I will try again.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2006 I headed again offshore and made a solo run for Florida. There I spent the winter.

May of 2007 I returned to New England. I was originally headed to Bermuda but changed my mind and headed home instead. Luck was on my side.

As I was pulling into Cuttyhunk Island just south of New Bedford, after 14 days at sea, a storm was blowing off the coast of North Carolina. Four young people died in that storm and four other boats were abandoned and their crews saved by the Coast Guard.

The four who died were on a large sailboat 160 miles off the Carolinas.

Two days before pulling in at Cuttyhunk, I was sailing by the Carolinas, the same area, 200 miles off the North Carolina shore. Fate?

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/sto ... d6e13.html

:farao:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Trip back North:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Can you swing by California and pick me up, MB? :grin:

Have you ever read "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham or "Maiden Voyage" by Tania Aebi? I love stories of sailing.

-1bigsteve (o:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes Steve1, don't I wish. I was out in Calif. for the first time last year. Stayed with a friend in San Diego. Also drove the the coast from just about San Fran. down south.

Yes, I have read both those books. I could not ever get over the fact that Tania's father insisted she go to college or sail around the world. Don't think I would be able to sleep nights knowing my teen is sailing alone around the world.

Robin, though much younger than Tania, took longer and was later supported by National Geographic who helped him acquire his second boat and talked him into completing his voyage. If you remember Steve, towards the end he wanted to quit. There were two Doves. Little Dove and Big Dove. Little Dove was only 24 feet long, while Big Dove was 33.

Yes Steve, great reads.......

Below are a couple of photos I took when I was out west.

I had plans to transfer out there in the 70s. :cry: Should have gone.

:farao:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Every time I read "Maiden Voyage" I get the urge to kick Tania's father around the block for forcing her into sailing alone. There is no way I would ever do that to my daughter. He had to be insane.

That top picture of the pier looks familiar. Isn't that the spot where "The Rockford Files" was filmed in the '70s? I often wondered if they moved Rockford's trailer into position every morning for shooting and hauled it away every evening or if they left it there hoping no one would vandalize it. The bottom photo looks like the bridge between Big Sur and Carmel? Clint Eastwood was filmed driving over that in "Play Misty For Me," if it's the same bridge.

Here is a photo of Graham's first boat "Little Dove" taken just a few years ago. It doesn't look so good. The photographer said the boat was gone the next morning. It was built in 1960 so I wonder how much more life it has in it.

I never could "bond" with Robin Lee Graham or his story. He seemed so cold and distant through out the book. His sequel was a bit better. Tania Aebi was much more personable.

-1bigsteve (o: