What Are You Reading Now?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

augusta @ Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:31 am wrote:I finished two more books in the "Lemony Snicket" series. I have two more to go to complete it. I started reading it to see what all the hoopla was about, and after the first book I wanted mo'. So I'm now reading #12. There are 13 in the set. I give them to my daughter and she enjoys reading them, then saves them for her teacher's classroom or her future children. I think I read a rumor that after you read the last one, all the ends are not all tied up and if that happens, I'm gonna be mad. That's a lot of readin' to do and, tho it's fun, the author owes us. It's helping me limp thru a bad cold or flu I got after Christmas.

DJ, read one book on Gilligan's Island that Bob Denver wrote. He and "Ginger" didn't get along. Did you read that in the one you read?

I loved "Love, Lucy". I've read a few on her. A dream-come-true came true in the 1980's when I was out in Jamestown, NY and visited the Lucy-Desi Museum. They were selling little vials of her henna that was left over when she died (very pricey, tho). I have a Lucy book to-be-read written by the writers of "I Love Lucy" - Madelaine ___ and Bob Mosher. I read somewhere they always tried out the stunts first before they wrote it in the script - like being connected by handcuffs.

Big Steve - I've had something to tell you for a long time and every time I'm on here I forget what it is. Well, next time I think of it I'll write it down. (Watch it turn out to be something stupid -----That's it! I wanted to tell you that I went on You Tube and watched that Dean Martin/Nancy Sinatra duet of "Things" (?). I recognized the song when they started singing it, and it was so adorable. Thanks for the tip! (I hope it was you that posted the tip ...) Wow, I hadn't heard that song probably since the '60s.

Also, I asked for and received the DVD of Susan Heyward in "I Want to Live" for Christmas. Watched it Christmas Day. It's just an awesome movie. God, was she beautiful. I think she was maybe the most beautiful actress there's been, IMO.

I know what you mean, Augusta. A thought comes into my head and before I can get the note book out of my breast pocket it's gone again. "Things" is one of my favorite duet songs. It is a good one. I love how her attitude softens as the song goes on. From what I heard, Dean and Nancy sang that song together on her TV show, or his, and it was such a hit they went in and recorded it. I don't know how many times I have told people about that song and they say, "No, no, Nancy sang a song with her father!" They can't seem to grasp the idea that she also sang one with Dean Martin. Their response cracks me up. :grin:

The Gilligan's Island book I have is written by Steve Cox. He treated the show fairly. No dirt and no hatchet job.

I recently finished "Love, Lucy" by her daughter. It was compiled from interviews her mother gave years earlier. I enjoyed the book even though I was not a fan of Lucille Ball before reading it. I am now though.

Susan was a beauty, there's no doubt about that. I have "I Want To Live" on VHS. Sometimes I play it late at night with the sound off just to watch her and the others interact. I get a bit emotional when I see her in her films. They are hard for me to watch. Her last name is spelled "Hayward" with an "a." I once saw a VHS video case with "Heyward" spelled. It cracked me up. It's a common mistake because there is a name "Heyward," it's just not Susan's. "Smash-up: The Story of A Woman" is also a good film of hers. Susan did a good job in that one. I'm happy that you enjoyed her film. It is powerful.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta, hope you're on the mend, and rapidly. I've never read the Lemony Snicket books, although I did read all the Harry Potter volumes. I've read that Jo Rowling is writing a for-adults detective novel. Let us hope!

Also, I know of but have not read the books to which you and BigSteve refer, re "Gilligan." I remember all the hooplah when Denver's book appeared-- he claiming that he "flinged" with Tina Louise, she disclaiming such. He often mentioned in interviews, before and after his memoir, how ticked he was at her for bowing out of all the latter-day "Gilligan" stuff.

One of my all-time favorite episodes of any TV series is the "Gilligan" in which the Castaways stage the musical version of "Hamlet," using the arias from "Carmen," in order to impress guest-star Phil Silvers, playing Broadway producer Harold Hecuba. He steals their idea without rescuing them, but natch. Anyway, that show sort of blows your mind, including Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) playing Laertes. How much wacky weed were the writers smoking when they pipe-dreamed this classic? Oh, those wild and crazy Sixties!

Steve, I think "Love, Lucy" is a shelved memoir that Lucy "wrote"-- compiled from her taped interviews. Daughter Lucie did the Introduction. The typescript was compiled about 1960 (then deposited in a file-cabinet drawer), when Lucy was struggling with "Wildcat" ("Hey, Look Me Over, Lend Me an Ear" being the big showstopper) on Broadway, was almost 50, and "I Love Lucy" had ended, along with her marriage to Desi. She must have figured that there would be no Act III in her life. Wrong! (Thankfully!) I've read most of the books on Lucy, including that one.

There's a really good book about the latter-day Lucy by a cousin of her second husband, Gary Morton, who was much younger than Lucy and a close friend. I believe it's called "I Loved Lucy." Anyway, Lucie did the intro for that too, which lends it credibility.

Steve, speaking of spellings and Miss Hayward-- wasn't her real name Edith Marriner? I'm positive her first name was "Edith." She was a contender for the role of Scarlett O'Hara.

I just discovered, while copying some geneaological records for a relative a few days ago, that I had a great-great aunt (from Georgia, no less!) named Fanny O'Hara.

Happy New Year to you both, and to everyone on The Forum!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Close, DJ. Susan's birth name was "Edythe Marrenner" No "i" in either name. I don't know why her agent changed it. I like it. I didn't know her before her name change so I call her Susan Hayward. Actually Susan never tested for the role of Scarlett. The "bedroom scene" was a test vehicle used to test an actresses' acting ability. The studio got Susan into that dress and ran her through that scene to see if she could act (she couldn't) and not as a potential Scarlett O'Hara. That bedroom scene was used to test some actresses for Scarlett but Susan, and a lot of others, was not among them, although they were led to believe they were.

O'Hara? Sounds like you have some Irish blood in you, DJ. I have a ton in me. Susan's relatives and mine are from the same part of Ireland and we always wondered if we were related. I should do my own genealogical search and see who shows up. I recently found out that a movie actor is my cousin. Maybe another one is in there or maybe a few scalawags.

I never thought much of Lucille Ball until I read that book. Now that I know something about her I have a much higher regard for her. Strange how that works.

My favorite "Gilligan's Island" episode was "Don't Bug The Mosquitoes." I couldn't get over the difference is size between Ginger's feet and Mary Ann's. :shock: That series was so stupid it made me laugh.
:grin:
-1bigsteve (o:
DJ

Post by DJ »

Steve,
Thanks for the clarification/correx. You are the source for all things Susan Hayward!
Yeah, "Gilligan" was positively idiotic, yet memorable.
The book I was thinking about (re Lucy) is Lee Tannen's "I Loved Lucy," which gives a fascinating glimpse into Lucy during the final years of her career and life. (She loved grilled cheese sandwiches and baked beans with franks.)
I'm mostly Scotch/Welsh, but there is a decided Irish side, too. Whenever I bump into one of them, I hear about their feuds with their closest kin; nevertheless, we have a reunion every year, of that very Irish branch. Some stand on one side of the room and don't mingle with those on the other side. Ah, the Irish!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I'm reading Parallel Lives.

Working on its index. My oh my are you all going to be surprised, entertained, and AMAZED!

:peanut16:
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
augusta

Post by augusta »

:peanut19: Gilligan's Island! That was my top favorite show when I was in Kindergarten. Some famous person said, I forgot who, that it was the most perfect sitcom because you could never run out of storylines. Yeah, The Mesquitos (I never could spell that word...)! I loved it! I remember the one with Phil Silvers, too. He was one of the creators of the show. I have a lot of favorite episodes.

I think DJ is right about the Lucy book you just read, Big Steve. She was working on her memoirs and put it in a filing cabinet and quit for some reason. I loved that book.

"Lucy in the Afternoon" I think is the name of a great Lucy book I read. That's the same book you were talking about, wasn't it, DJ? (Sorry, I'm filled with cold medicine - thank you for your well wishes. :smile: ) Where the young man played Backgammon with her all the time? For some reason, I really enjoy learning about her life during and after "I Love Lucy".

I love the two movies she made during the production of 'I Love Lucy' - "Forever Darling" and, especially, "The Long, Long Trailer". I've seen "The Facts of Life" with her and Bob Hope, but when I went looking online for the DVD or video, it's like $40. :?:

A couple of other really good books, at least I liked them, on tv stars of the '60s were one written by David Cassidy ("Come on Get Happy" I think it's called) and one written by Davy Jones that was really interesting. The butler of Marlo Thomas and Phil Donahue wrote a good tell-all book called "That Girl and Phil". I always loved Marlo Thomas - still do. But once in a while it's fun to hear the gossip. I got "Marcia Brady"s autobiography for Christmas. That should be very interesting. I heard that she had a fling with Eve "Jan" Plumb.

I just got a book for Christmas on Joan Crawford that I think has been out a while, where it's taken from taped interviews from her that I think was gonna be a memoir. I have no idea what she says yet.

Bette Davis is another good one to read about. Gary Merrill wrote a book about her in the 1980's that was interesting. There's one by a woman who by some fluke had Bette Davis staying at her house. It's called something like, "When Bette Davis Came to Dinner and Stayed, and Stayed...." I flat out don't like Bette's daughter, B.D. Hyman's book "My Mother's Keeper". I think it was mean and spiteful, and so hurtful to Ms. Davis. Geez, her mother let her get married at 16! She didn't have to! She really loved her daughter. I'm glad she knew how her daughter felt in one regard - she didn't leave her anything in her will! The sequel to "My Mother's Keeper" is "Narrow is the Way" and it's boring and just a nothing book.

"Edythe Marrinner" (sp?) is a lovely name. That is so touching, BigSteve, how you watch "I Want to Live" without sound to see the characters interact. Boy, that dance she does! I've seen "Smash-up...". Yes, that's real good, too.

My mother used to love old movies and the stars, and she had a horde of biographies/autobiographies/movie books. I remember looking thru one when I was young and for the first time reading that Susan Hayward died of a brain tumor, and they showed her photo. I loved her back as a kid even, and I remember being stunned by learning that this totally beautiful woman and great star died like that. It was so sad to me for years, and is still.

DJ, I am fascinated by "I Want to Live". Do you know how she studied for the role?

Ann Sheridan is another actress I just loved since childhood. My mom would always watch the afternoon old movie, and she'd often say, "Hey, Sherry, you wanna see a good movie?" And I'd watch with her and she'd be right all the time. How many times we watched 'Mildred Pierce', 'In This our Life' (one time an announcer said, "And now, back to 'Is THIS our LIFE?' That was funny.), 'The Bad Seed', John Garfield - oh so many. Those are the kind of DVDs I mostly collect. I was just watching "Mr. Skeffington" yesterday for the second time in a few weeks. Every time that was on tv, I'd come across it at the last 20 minutes or so. Boy, is that good! I never did see all of "The Man Who Came to Dinner". Another one I gotta get.

Anyway, Ann Sheridan someone said in an interview would go to the commissary at the studio and only smoked; she wouldn't eat. And her co-stars would urge her to eat and she wouldn't. I think she died of lung cancer. Again, a star I so adored dying in such a sad way. I loved "Take me to Town" because it was in color and showed her red hair. But her films with James Cagney were "swell".
DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta,
Get well, girl!
I have "Lucy in the Afternoon," too, and it's not as good as "I Loved Lucy" (Lee Tannen's book-- he also played backgammon with Miss Ball, and knew her over a period of several decades, as he was a relative of Gary Morton, her second husband.
"The Man Who Came to Dinner" (from the stage play) is a wonderful film, one in which one of the characters is based on Our Miss Borden.
My fave Bette Davis movies are "Now, Voyager" and "All About Eve." "Old Acquaintance" is another winner. Her performance as Queen Elizabeth I in "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" is outstanding. Davis wrote an autobiography and collaborated with authors on two other, later books, in one of which she rightfully slams B.D. Hyman.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I've read at least one of Bette's books where she slams her daughter, and I agree, DJ - good for her! That girl got everything, and Bette wasn't beating her or being cruel to her as Christina Crawford says about Joan C. in "Mommy Dearest". It seems that Ms. Davis just loved her daughter so much.

You probably know that you can see B.D. Hyman in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". She plays the (huge) teenage girl next door. You know her mother got her the role. I think B.D. did a wonderful job with such a small role. I like how she did every line. I read that her mother coached her, and I believe it. I'm a little surprised that B.D. didn't pursue acting. Well, that's just another thing her mother did for her and got bashed for it.

"All About Eve" is my top favorite movie! That script! I bought the DVD recently, even tho I watch it every time it's on tv, and I've watched it several times. That's one that I can roll over in bed and just listen to the dialogue and not have to watch, if I wanna play a computer game or take a nap, tho it's even better to watch. I think that script is flawless. And the characters are soooo perfect. I hope nobody ever remakes that film.

I was watching "Now, Voyageur" (sp?) the other night. It was part of the set of 5 Davis movies I bought. It's long been a favorite of mine. I also have "The Letter" in the set, and I love that one, too. They put "The Star" in the set, and I like it. I saw it before on tv but not all of it. "Dark Victory" is another in the set. I haven't watched that yet, but have seen it many times.

DJ, can you tell me why you like "Old Acquaintance"? Is Sterling Hayden in that? Oh, I'm thinking of "Winter Meeting", and I thought that was boring. I don't know why they put Sterling Hayden opposite Bette Davis - he seems so bland, at least I think so. What is "Old Acquaintance" about and who's in it?

I loved her in "Of Human Bondage". "The Great Lie". "In This Our Life" (I gotta get that one).

She did several films with Claude Rains, didn't she? And I'm not very familiar with them. I'll have to look her movies up.

I would appreciate your opinions, DJ, or BigSteve's or anyone's on good Bette Davis movies so I can build up my supply.

Thank you for the get well wishes, DJ. :smile: It's just dragging on.
Thank goodness for the Forum - and Sudafed!
DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta, I laughed at your ref to B.D. in "Baby Jane" Thanks so much!
The book in which Bette addresses B.D.'s sorry treatment is "This 'N' That," published shortly before she died.

"Old Acquaintance" costars Miriam Hopkins, whom Bette loathed. Well, actually, it was mutual. It's based on a stage play by John Van Druten, and Bette plays an author who's a critical darling. Old pal Miriam wants to be a popular, successful author of romance novels, and Bette helps her. Won't give away any more of the plot, which transpires over several decades. A very young Gig Young (what a phrase; anyway, he was married to Elizabeth Montgomery-- her first husband) plays one of Bette's later paramours. It was released in 1943 and is a definite Davis fave of mine.

I love "Dark Victory," as sad as it is. That scene where Bette knows she's dying, and she pets her dogs goodbye on her way upstairs to her bed-- major tearjerker!

One highly acclaimed Davis film (for which she won her second and last Oscar, too) that I don't care for much is "Jezebel." It's watchable, but it's far from my favorite.

Claude Rains, also a big contract player at Warner Bros., was in many of her films. He plays the psychiatrist in "Now, Voyager"-- Dr. Jacquith. He also plays her husband in "Mr. Skeffington," which you mentioned earlier, and which I also like.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Miriam Hopkins and Bette had previously starred together in The Old Maid, a tearjerker. This one begins during the Civil War. Bette gives birth to a child by Miriam's jilted suitor (George Brent), who promptly gets killed in battle. Miriam winds up adopting Bette's daughter, who grows up despising her "aunt" Bette, who tries to administer some discipline to her spoiled child.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
augusta

Post by augusta »

I went nutz yesterday and ordered "Set #2" of Bette Davis movies from Amazon. I think "Old Acquaintance" is in it - I cannot believe I never saw that movie. What a classic Davis movie. And thanks for describing it, DJ. I would really like it. Oh - the set has "In This Our Life" in it, too. I'm dying to see that again. "Stanley" and "Roy".

I'm thinking of another Davis movie that had Claude Rains in it, where they're married and she cheats on him. She might be a pianist in it. Isn't there one with her and oh - that actor with the real skinny face - George Arliss! Where he is her "Svengali"?

I read 'This 'n That' and so enjoyed her response to BD's book. BD has three scenes in "Baby Jane", I think. Her longer one at the beginning. Then somewhat into the movie she greets Elvira as Elivra arrives at the Hudson House. The way she says, "Good morning, Elvira!" - I dunno. It always made me pay attention. I thought she did the line very good, and it was just a few words. Then there's a scene when BD's movie mom, Anna Lee, comes home and is mad at Jane and says she could kill her. And BD says, "Gee, what'll we use?" And Anna Lee laughs. I didn't care much for BD's delivery in that scene. Part of it I guess was because I thought it was a dumb scene.

She was such a big girl! She was only 16 - maybe 15 - when she was in that. Hard to believe, but I guess it's true.

In one of Bette's later interviews, it might be the one she did on Phil Donahue's show, she said she was in love with George Brent but he wouldn't give her the time of day. Yes, "The Old Maid"! That was so good, and I haven't seen it in years. I think it's part of the set I just ordered.

I didn't know that she and Miriam Hopkins didn't get along. Do you reckon why? I cannot form any picture of Miriam's personality offscreen. I've never seen her offscreen. All I can see is blonde curls and her giving a dramatic lecture to a co-star.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Bette had an affair with Miriam's husband, the director Anatole Litvak. Zat's enough to cause a feud, isn't it?

Remember Miriam in that wacko episode of "The Outer Limits"? To me, that was far, far freakier than "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?".
Tying in with your 1960s thread, Augusta: I would have to say that may be the single weirdest hour of '60s TV.

Bette always credited George Arliss with saving her career, by insisting on her being cast alongside him in "The Man Who Played God" (1932). Rains, however, was not in that picture.

In a 1982 "Playboy" interview-- I still have it!-- Bette called Miriam (then deceased for a decade) "the most thoroughgoing bitch I've ever known."

B.D. was a tall drink of water. So was her Daddy, William Grant Sherry, with whom Bette was evidently more in lust with than in love. At that point in her life, she had decided she wanted a baby. She pretty much picked him up on a beach.

Bette's other big feud was with Joan Crawford. Indeed, there's an entire book on the subject: "Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud," which is well done, informative, and highly readable. I recommend it! (Eventually, there is mention of a book!)

Bette always referred to herself as "an actress," while referring to Joan as "a movie star."
augusta

Post by augusta »

Well, an affair with M Hopkins' husband would do it all right. I never knew that. I haven't seen the "Outer Limits" episode with Hopkins in it. Now I gotta. Thanks for the tidbits, DJ. :smile:

I had forgotten who BD's father was. It does seem like their marriage didn't last very long.

She was married to some guy she called "Ham" early on, and he had a strange death. He fell down the stairs? Or had a concussion? I wonder if they had a coroner's inquest on his death. I read there were whispers that she had a hand in it. Probably some of the public was confusing her film personality with her real one, or at least I think so.

Yesterday on Turner Classic Movies, I got lucky and "The Sisters" was on with her and Errol Flynn. I forgot all about that movie. I think this is the movie they used to show an outtake of, with her and Flynn sitting on the bench at the boxing arena in the lobby and she forgot her line and said, "I've just had a baby in the rest room."

I read "The Divine Feud" re Bette Davis and Joan Crawford years ago. I remember I expected more out of it, but maybe today I'd love it.

Somewhere, this book or in an interview, Bette told how Joan C would make herself as heavy as possible for the scenes in "Baby Jane" where she had to drag her, and she'd make her breasts appear larger by putting something heavy under her clothing. I remember Joan C having said that she turned down some role where she'd have to work with Bette Davis, saying something about "To have to look at that face first thing in the morning??" She called Bette's acting all acting with her eyes. I guess the night of the Oscars, when Bette Davis thought she'd win for "Baby Jane", Joan Crawford was one of the presenters and I guess she really treated Bette Davis badly, especially when Davis did not win. I wonder who did win 'Best Actress' in 1963? I would have thought Ms. Davis would have gotten it.
DJ

Post by DJ »

It was her second husband, Arthur "Farney" Farnsworth, who died under what has later been deemed "a cloud"-- it's in the book. Sherry was her third husband; Gary Merrill her fourth and last. In her last years, the ever-outspoken Davis claimed that, were she able to do it over, that she would have only married Merrill.

Vivien Leigh, who was considered to replace Joan Crawford (ostensibly ailing, but actually suffering from a bad case of Bette Davisitis) in "Hush ... Hush, Sweet Charlotte" who quipped, "I could almost look at Joan Crawford at 6 a.m. on a Southern plantation [the film locale], but I sure as hell couldn't look at Bette Davis."

Meowser!!!

Olivia DeHavilland took the role that Crawford ditched. She and Bette always got along extremely well.

Anne Bancroft won Best Actress the year that Bette was up for "Baby Jane." Joan accepted for her under prearranged terms, and apparently had quite the diva sweep past Davis en route to the stage.

All that's in "Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud." I think it's one of the best books concering either star.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Oh, it was the Farnsworth fellow who died kind of suspiciously. Thanks for the correction, DJ. :smile: There was "Ham" she was married to somewhere in there.

Was it really Vivien Leigh who said that about Bette Davis's face? I'm surprised. I had no idea VL was considered to replace Crawford. Thanks for that correction, too. :smile:

Gary Merrill wrote a book called something like "Bette, Rita and the rest of my Life". Somebody said (I think it was Bette Davis - watch it turn out to be Anne Baxter...) that Gary M fell in love with Margo Channing, Davis's role in 'All About Eve'. I don't know. They were married like ten years. And in his book, he sticks up for her regarding BD Hyman's "My Mother's Keeper" and tells people that if they gotta read it, to get it out at the library.

Thanks for the info, DJ, on who won the Best Actress Oscar in 1962, when Baby Jane came out. I looked it up and, of course, Anne Bancroft won it for 'The Miracle Worker', and Patty Duke won Best Supporting Actress for the same film. Gregory Peck won Best Actor for "To Kill a Mockingbird". Yes!

Gee, Anne Bancroft won over even Lee Remick in "The Days of Wine and Roses".

I saw Anne Bancroft in a like 1952 movie starring Marilyn Monroe called, "Don't Bother to Knock". She played the singer down in the lounge of this hotel. For years I didn't realize it was her. Was she beautiful! It sounds like she did her own singing, but I'm not sure. If she did, she could sing really good too. I was sorry to hear of her passing away a few years ago. She was such a wonderful actress.
DJ

Post by DJ »

A-- Yes, Ham was numero uno in the hit parade of Davis spouses.

I never read the Merrill book, but remember when it appeared. B.D. had apparently attacked him, too, in her screed. Said that he once called her "a slut." Merrill countered, "She doesn't have enough gumption to be a slut."

This is a bit off topic, but we are discussing movies and movie stars-- during the past week, three people will differing tastes have all raved to me about the new movie, "It's Complicated," saying that the audiences were applauding at the end.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I just had that Bette Davis book in my hands the other day! I was going to lend it (This-N-That) to a girl at work- a HUGE fan, who is maybe 20 years old!
Today I was looking at the pictures in there. I had read it a long time ago.
Kat

What Am I NOT Reading Now

Post by Kat »

Well, I guess since this is my topic I can change it for a sec- to what I'm not reading now. I've 2 books I do not like so am throwing out a caution- especially to those who detest cruelty to animals or children- 'bout everyone here, I'd think!

There has been a big hype about the series The #1 Ladies Detective Agency, but this is by the same author, but not in that series (which I have not tried and now probably won't, too bad).

This author is A. McCall Smith. It's a fluke that I first tried his book The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs.

The main character keeps being confused as someone else, and he goes along with it. Finally, he is invited as the person he is not, to come give a lecture in Germany or someplace where he doesn't know the language. They think he is a veterinary surgeon and he proceeds to do surgery on a dachshund! And he amputates the wrong leg! And then they say- 'hey that's the wrong leg!' and he amputates the other! Then another- you don't need any more info- this is Not Funny- Not Amusing- Just downright Wrong! YIK

Then I liked David Sedaris- one book by him, so far. But this 2nd book I do not like and that is Holidays On Ice. The first story was mildly amusing. The second one turned into a story of a girl putting a baby into a washing machine! This book has a cute cover but beware! Why stick a story like that in a book called holidays on ice? (Note I did not capitalize this title this time...) Disgusting.

Both of these books would be in the trash except one came from a friend's mother and the other from the Library.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

It's amazing how low the world's sense of decency has fallen. So many people get a kick out of seeing others suffer, whether they are humans or animals. The authors slip the garbage into the good stuff to make the garbage more palatable. There should be a limit to the garbage that is printed but I doubt that will ever happen. I think the best thing we can do is to raise a red flag by warning others about the kinds of books, video games, movies and TV shows that glorify this type of crap before they buy into it. Why should we pay $10.00 - $25.00 for a piece of trash that will turn or stomachs?

I was tempted to read "The #1 Ladies Detective Agency" but now that Kat has raised a red flag neither author will ever recieve one penny, on any of their books, from me or any of my friends when I spread the word! For years now I have maintained what I call a "Book Reader's Crap List" listing books and authors to avoid. I share that list with my friends and these two authors are now on it! We not only avoid the book itself but all books that author may ever write!

-1bigsteve (o:
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

To play devil's advocate, I think most of us like murder mysteries, and, obviously, we ALL are devotees of true crime. What are we doing occupying ourselves with one of the most heinous murders ever committed?

It's normal to take pleasure in things we would be horrified with in real life. Generally, these are things that are either fictional or that actually happened and in which we had no part.

One of my favorite movies is Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer, a fictionalized account of the career of Henry Lee Lucas (who may actually have committed only one murder in real life). It does leave a bad taste in my mouth, as it can give ideas to the wrong people. On the other hand, it serves as a cautionary tale to others. (Don't let people you don't know in your house, don't stop on lonely stretches of road to help others you don't know.)

In my opinion, things like this are chiefly objectionable when they tell others to go and do likewise.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's animals and children being abused that get my ire. I've always stopped reading a book, no matter how true, or well-crafted, that has vivisection as the storyline or craven abuse of children. The Sedaris treatment seems to be his account of something real that happened. The girl was from VietNam and described as souless- then she not only puts a baby in the washer she puts it in the dryer. My big complaint is the title leads you on-- it doesn't need to be titled that way - like a Christmas story.

The dog in the fictional story ended up without any legs and it was supposed to be amusing that the sausage dog now resembled a sausage. Just plain not humorous!

I also object to TV ads for movies I will never see or want to see- where they show horrible monsters out of the blue in the middle of my TV show.

If there is just a warning on the book or before these types of ads, that would be fine- I would have a choice. I believe there are no bad books- but there are books I don't want to read, if I know ahead of time.

As I say, it's just children and animals- that really gets me.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

The thing that gets me is people giving me things to worry about when I'm getting ready to go to sleep.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I'm afraid my response might be taken the wrong way. Your message just reminded me of one of my pet peeves. It didn't worry me and, in any case, I didn't read it before going to bed.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's OK Constantine- I know your heart is in the right place. I can always admire a devil's advocate: a different perspective is a healthy thing.

I surely shouldn't set a precedent in my topic of books I do not like- I shall stick to ones I do like.

And, things to worry about before bed is my pet peeve as well! :smile:

(I've got one more objection and I'll be done about children: I don't think they should be used to sell things. Ads should be only done by 18 or over. Child actors are not quite the same thing- that could be an art, creative outlet, or calling- that's between a kid and his parents. But selling cars? No!)
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Kat @ Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:22 am wrote:(I've got one more objection and I'll be done about children: I don't think they should be used to sell things. Ads should be only done by 18 or over. Child actors are not quite the same thing- that could be an art, creative outlet, or calling- that's between a kid and his parents. But selling cars? No!)
With me, it depends on the product, the kid selling it and how it's done. I remember a kid named Mason Reese selling Underwood Deviled Ham, if I'm not mistaken. It didn't seem to me that Mason was being ill-used. Besides, he was a mighty intelligent kid who knew what he was doing.

One that did get my goat was an ad for a "Mary Poppins" spoon that appeared soon after the movie came out. This involved a kid who sang "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" and ended the commercial with "Send for it! Send for it! Please send for it!" I thought he and the children in the audience were being used for an utterly unnecessary product (a plastic spoon with a little statue of Mary Poppins on top).
Kat

Post by Kat »

The way I look at these ads is total exploitation.
The kid selling a car doesn't know what that amount of money means. He didn't go slogging to work every day, balance a budget, pay bills-save- no concept of money and what it means- can't even sign a contract.
Just hearing their little voices hawking wares is sickening.

Sure the kid is "working" but there is no wisdom or experience- it steals their innocence.
As a working actor, as I said, that's a bit different.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I am reading a delightful book now- where nothing goes wrong and everything goes right- I would like to write a book like that! A happy book!

Anyway, this is not "happy" but pleasing- it is another of those Jane Austin wanna-be's, but the publish date precedes those others I've read and mentioned here on this topic- so it's more an "original."

It's title A Private Performance: A Sequel To Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice- Whew! Long title.
Vintage Books, 2005, Helen Halstead.

The Darcy's take London society by storm! Yay Lizzy Darcy! :smile:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I just started "Not the Girl Next Door - Joan Crawford - A Personal Memoir" by Charlotte Chandler. It's based on her interviews with Joan herself and some others. I enjoy reading just what Ms. Crawford said.

I finished the last of 13 of the Lemony Snicket "A Series of Unfortunate Events". They were good and worth reading. I got the video and watched it over the weekend. Tho it was just like the book, the movie only covered the first couple of books, which was a disappointment. I haven't heard anything about any sequels being done, and that's a shame because every one of the books was very good.
Gaheris

Post by Gaheris »

I always read several books at the same time. I am currently making my way through:

Elizabeth the Queen - Alison Weir (a book about Queen Elizabeth I)

The Children's Book - A. S. Byatt

The Nature of Personal Reality (a Seth book) by Jane Roberts (who channelled Seth, the spiritual entity who dictated this book and others.)

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche

The Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks (Esther Hicks channels the spiritual entities who dictated this text.)

Conversations With Seth - Susan M. Watkins

The God of Jane - Jane Roberts
"Now I understand what you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they're not listening still
Perhaps they never will..."
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm reading The Story of Jesus by Edgar Cayce in his "sleeping" trance.
I've owned it twice before and read it each time- but not in this decade so I'm at it again. Inter-library loan, with 2 renewals.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, I am reading that book as I mentioned, but also am reading some Fannie Flagg at the same time.
Just finished a 5" thick hardback by her: Standing In The Rainbow.
Now am reading her first novel Coming Attractions.
This is my 3rd of Flaggs'. They make me feel good.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I quit on Coming Attractions- sorry!
But picked up and re-read The Tiger in The Smoke by Margery Allingham.
I rarely do that- but it's one of my favorites by her.

I was awaiting my inter-library loan which finally came Saturday!
The Princeling by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. the 3rd in her series "The Founding." I am very satisfied! :smile:

:cat:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I'm 840+ pages into this 1 000+ page tome. Surprisingly, it has kept my interest very well (I was expecting to bail).

I just found out a movie version is in the works for next year. How a movie will ever do justice to it, I don't know.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Kat

Post by Kat »

Was that ever a movie before?
I keep seeing that actress/wife of Roald Dahl...in my mind- in an Ayan Rand movie?

I've gone back to all the old Martha Grimes that I read new in the 1980's. Seems I've forgotten the plots and am happy to be biding time until my next Inter-Library loan comes in for the 6th & 7th Harrod-Eagles books.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

That would probably be The Fountainhead. I plan to re-read that later; I think I was too young for it the 1st time around.

I'm now left off on page 1004. About 60 more to go. I can't say I agree entirely with her philosophy, but it's actually pretty timely for today after what happened to the economy. It's certainly fascinating & makes one examine themself.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Aye, The Fountainhead it was. Patricia Neal had the part of Dominique Francon.
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Angel

Post by Angel »

She and Gary Cooper had an affair after they starred in that movie
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks you guys! That's it!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

"Little Me" by Patrick Dennis (wrote Auntie Mame). A life of a fictional actress. It's a hoot! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just finished "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane." It's about the practice of actual magic in the world as known in early times by cunning women. It's set in Marblehead and Salem. It was written by Katherine Howe, who is descended from 2 of the actual Salem "witches."
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

DJ @ Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:37 am wrote:It was her second husband, Arthur "Farney" Farnsworth, who died under what has later been deemed "a cloud"-- it's in the book. Sherry was her third husband; Gary Merrill her fourth and last. In her last years, the ever-outspoken Davis claimed that, were she able to do it over, that she would have only married Merrill.

Vivien Leigh, who was considered to replace Joan Crawford (ostensibly ailing, but actually suffering from a bad case of Bette Davisitis) in "Hush ... Hush, Sweet Charlotte" who quipped, "I could almost look at Joan Crawford at 6 a.m. on a Southern plantation [the film locale], but I sure as hell couldn't look at Bette Davis."

Meowser!!!

Olivia DeHavilland took the role that Crawford ditched. She and Bette always got along extremely well.

Anne Bancroft won Best Actress the year that Bette was up for "Baby Jane." Joan accepted for her under prearranged terms, and apparently had quite the diva sweep past Davis en route to the stage.

All that's in "Bette and Joan: The Divine Feud." I think it's one of the best books concering either star.

I like "tough" women, women who can stand up for themselves. Bette didn't seem to get along with very many people and had an annoying habit of irritating people then twisting the facts to make herself the "victim." Some actors can be very polite, kind and cooperative on and off the set but Bette was as soft as a dry corncob. Bette tried to bully Susan on a set and Susan stood up to her. Bette didn't like anyone standing their ground with her. My grandmother was the same kind of woman. Not my cup of tea.

I have two books on Bette's life I am looking forward to reading. I like her characters. My dad was not a fan of Bette's until he read "This 'n That." I'm hoping I will like Bette herself more after reading about her life. She was a very talented actress!

Vivien Leigh may have had a hard time looking at Bette Davis at 5:00am but for myself I would have picked Bette over Joan any day. Joan gives me the creeps. I keep expecting Joan to whip out an ax. :shock: :grin:

-1bigsteve
augusta

Post by augusta »

"This 'n That" was a great book. Didn't she write a note to her daughter, B.D., at the beginning in answer to BD's nasty book "My Mother's Keeper"?
Or did she write a note to her deceased mother, "Ruthie"?

I remember reading that when Bette Davis's parents were on their wedding night, her mother went in the bathroom and tried to, um, clean herself all up because she didn't want a baby. And Bette said, "I would not be washed away."

It's really interesting to see what everyone's reading. I either read for research or for entertainment.

I just finished "Plum Lovin'" by Janet Evanovich and just started a book by one of Gen. Custer's troopers. Still reading Joan Crawford.
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Augusta, Little Bighorn Battlefield is listed as one of the ten must visit historical sites in my History Channel magazine this issue. Someday, I'll make it there. Can I ask the title of the Custer book you're reading? I can never get enough of GAC.

BTW, I love Evanovich and have read several of her Stephanie Plum novels.
"To wives and sweethearts - may they never meet."
SummerCodSuz

Post by SummerCodSuz »

Oh I love Ellis Peters! I haven't read any lately, thanks for the reminder!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Just started two books.

The Carpenters: The Untold Story by Ray Coleman

Yesterday In Old Fall River by Paul Dennis Hoffman
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
augusta

Post by augusta »

Harry, I read that book on The Carpenters a few years back. It was real good. Karen Carpenter is still probably my top favorite female singer.

kssunflower: The Custer book I'm reading now is "With Custer on the Little Bighorn" - "A Newly Discovered First-Person Account by William O. Taylor", forward by Greg Martin.

It's got a heck of a background to it. But, in short, this William O. Taylor wrote a manuscript about Custer and the Little Big Horn. He was in Custer's 7th Cavalry. It got shoved away for years, and this appraiser found it inside this unassuming case. My copy is by Viking Books, hardcover, 1996. I probably got it thru Amazon.com, from a "new and used" bookseller for not much money. I never heard of William O. Taylor before. It looks intriguing. :grin:

There is a brand new Custer book coming out. I just pre-ordered it. It's called "The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick, the guy who wrote "Mayflower". It doesn't sound like there's anything new in it, but just in case ... :grin:
DJ

Post by DJ »

Yes, Karen Carpenter had one of the richest voices ever recorded. Truly one of the great underappreciated singers, along with, IMHO, Cass Elliot.
Among all the thousands of Christmas albums, the Carpenters' is the best.

BTW: I've been enjoying "Glee" since the beginning. Wish the show would pay tribute to the Carpenters as it did Madonna in the most recent episode. Surely the producers follow this Forum, er, gleefully.

Yes, A: Bette "wrote a letter" to her daughter in "This 'N' That,"
addressing her as "Hyman" (B.D.'s surname, from marriage).
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

augusta @ Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:57 pm wrote:
kssunflower: The Custer book I'm reading now is "With Custer on the Little Bighorn" - "A Newly Discovered First-Person Account by William O. Taylor", forward by Greg Martin.
Ok, I thought maybe you were referring to Sgt. Windolph's 'I Fought With Custer'. Now I will be on the lookout for two more Custer books. Thanks.
"To wives and sweethearts - may they never meet."
augusta

Post by augusta »

So many people have said that about Cass Elliott. For some reason, I don't see her voice as being that great. Maybe I don't have the right songs that show off her voice. Are there any you can recommend, DJ?

Oh ... the Carpenters Christmas album. I love it.

They did a 'Behind the Music' episode on them that was good. There was also a tv movie on, I think, Lifetime with Cynthia Gibb (?) playing Karen Carpenter, which I enjoyed. Richard Carpenter wrote his own book on them I think, and I think I read it. I guess he used to tour and play the piano and Karen's picture would be gracing the theatre. He came to Detroit one time, and I thought I'd just sit there and cry my way thru it. Her dying so young, and from what she had - and his grief over the loss of her ... :sad:

kssunflower, I have Windolph's book but haven't read it yet. His daughter is on one of the Custer historical shows. I have the DVD. Her dad was the last of Custer's men to die, in 1950. He didn't like Custer, I guess.

There's a book on Mark Kellogg, the reporter who went on that last campaign and was killed. "I Follow Custer" it's called. I never knew who he really was - what he was about. I only knew he was a reporter. So it was good to get the book to staunch the flow of my curiosity.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Some Cass Elliot musical pix:

"Words of Love" (with the Mamas and the Papas)
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" (solo, as are the ff)
"Move in a Little Closer, Baby"
"One-Way Ticket"
and, my fave:
"Make Your Own Kind of Music"