Wyoming barber defends Lizzie

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Wyoming barber defends Lizzie

Post by Harry »

Haulover

Post by Haulover »

***Disselkoen has no plans to publish the manuscript, but about 30 copies have been distributed, including those sent to the Fall River Historical Society and Bristol College. He also has sent copies to Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist and Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who in 1997 presided over a mock trial of Lizzie Borden. O'Connor acknowledged the gift with a postcard. ***

i wonder if anyone here knows author. this sounds like a theory worth reading. GREAT title.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I've never given a thought to the "cores." I wonder if this gentleman is familiar with the Lizzie Borden Society Forum and associated sites?
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

the article itself had the usual mistakes in it -- but no, i would think that anyone who could produce that title must know lizzie's testimony. and the way pears were used in explaining or trying to explain what someone was doing at this time or that time.

who knows? someone with connection at historical society could identify?
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

author had article in 4/03 issue of lizzie borden quarterly "joseph carpenter -- once more with a feeling"....anyone familiar with it? (i'm not, i just found listing)
Doug

Post by Doug »

Looking more closely at the news item, it appears to be from a Michigan newspaper. There apparently is a Wyoming, Michigan.
diana

Post by diana »

Thanks for the reference to the LBQ issue, haulover. And you're right, Doug -- Mr. Disselkoen is from Wyoming, Michigan according to the editor's note in the LBQ.

That LBQ article (April 2003) is in response to two pieces in the January 2003 issue: Joseph Carpenter, Was He the One (Rebello and Caplain) -- and Joseph Carpenter Probably Didn’t Do It (Masterton).

Joseph Carpenter was accused of embezzling about $6000 or so from Borden and Almy fifteen years prior to the murder and this gave rise to some suspicion as to bad blood between him and Andrew Borden.

Although Carpenter’s landlady in Albany provided an affidavit stating that Carpenter stayed at her home every night from July 18 to August 12 -- Peter Driscoll, a barber, said he shaved Carpenter in Fall River on August 3rd and a school teacher named Dean said he saw Carpenter in Fall River on the day of the murders.

And of course there's that strange letter written to Carpenter from his wife -- asking him to come home because: ‘Lizzie has been acquitted and I don’t think they can do anything with you now..’

I remember reading Disselkoen's article in the LBQ and being struck by his contention that when a barber shaves a man with a straight edge, he doesn’t forget his face because he has “physical contact for 15 to 20 minutes at arm’s length”. He maintained that: if “Peter Driscoll, the barber, said he shaved Joseph Carpenter, you had better believe him!” (Disselkoen, LBQ Vol. X No.2, April, 2003:10)

I would really like the opportunity to read his longer manuscript!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks you guys!

Stef thinks she will contact him to see what's up.

We really do love new theories- any and all!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Yes, I'd love to see his theory too. We've tossed that idea around before on the old forum about what happened to the pear cores. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, we wanted an accounting of Lizzie's pear cores, Morse's pear core and Bridget's barf.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Since we want to know about the cores, maybe we can also find out what the outcome of the mock Lizzie trial with Justice O'Connor presiding was ? Anybody know ?

Tracy... :?:
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here you go Tracy. The web site is, alas, no longer but I saved it as a document.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Harry!
I couldn't open it in Explorer but I could open it in Safari.
Did anyone have a problem?

The mock trial video was pretty good and the defense attorney, Barbara Babcock was excellent. The prosecutor was about as effective as Chris Darden and seemed a bit stiff.
Rehnquist was terrible- he sounded wheezy and old. If he has a health disability I'm sorry.

It turns out both these Supreme Justices are Grads from Stanford, and I wondered at the odds of that happening.

Of course, some of the info contained in this article is incorrect- but that's the way it goes.

Thanks again, Har!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

THANK YOU THANK YOU HARRY ! This is great !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.