Uncle Oliver?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Uncle Oliver?

Post by Harry »

I found this amusing paragraph in an article in the Boston Daily Globe dated June 5, 1893. The article covers the jury selection:

"The seventieth or eightieth talesman stood up to be examined, and was asked the first question, "Are you related to the prisoner at the bar?"

"I am," said the man, to the astonishment of everybody, including the prisoner.

"Then you are excused," said the Chief Justice.

Miss Lizzie Borden leaned over to Deputy Sheriff Kirby and said:
"Who on earth is he?"

Mr. Kirby told her he was Mr. Oliver E. Gifford, and her uncle by marriage. Miss Lizzie put up her fan in front of her face and laughed quite heartily. Gifford saw her action and he, too, laughed as he sought his seat."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Rebello, 124:

"A New Bedford Relative's Opinion of the Borden Murder," Fall River Daily Globe, Thursday, August 18, 1892: 7.

"The wife of Oliver E. Gifford of this city [New Bedford], and Andrew J. Borden's first wife, were cousins. Mr. Gifford is the New Bedford man who called at the Borden house on the day following the murder, but the name appeared in all of the newspapers as 'Fish.' Mr. Gifford was interviewed for the first time by a Mercury reporter. He said at the time of his call, which was on the noon after the murder, the officer at the door challenged him when Emma came to the door; 'I'm so glad to see you Oliver', she said and he went in. At that time, Mr. Gifford said that the family did not dream that suspicion pointed at Lizzie as they had not read a newspaper. ... Mr. Gifford said Mr. Borden was tight fisted to that degree that it had become almost a mania. He recently sustained losses in his real estate transactions, and he seemed to regard himself as a poor man."

" 'Have you any theory of the crime?' asked the reporter. 'I think it was the work of a woman,' said Mr. Gifford. 'I saw the wounds, and the larger number of little cuts didn't look like a man's act.' "

"Note: Mr. Oliver E. Gifford's name was drawn to serve as a possible juror at the Borden trial. Mr. Gifford, juror 87, was excused. He claimed he was related to Lizzie. (Trial: 37)"

--Maybe Oliver did not see Miss Lizzie that day he came to call.

Trial
Page 37:

"OLIVER E. GIFFORD, New Bedford.

Excused, being related to the prisoner at the bar."