Poll, Do you plan on reading the OJ Book?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Do you plan on reading OJ's "fictional confession" book?

Yes
29%
No
71%
Not quite sure yet
No votes

Total votes: 17

Caitlin

Poll, Do you plan on reading the OJ Book?

Post by Caitlin »

Hey all, I'd be interested to see how many of you are planning to read OJ Simpson's "fictional" account on how he "would have" killed Nicole and Ron. I've heard that Ron's family, after buying the rites to the book actually contemplated changing the name from "If I Did It, Here's How" to "Confessions of a Double Murder." I personally am up in the air about reading this or not....curious to see what you all think!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes I will read it. I can't discuss it or form an opinion until I do.
The question for me is more likely to be- will I buy it?
After watching the OPRAH show (that was only like the 3rd OPRAH show I've ever watched) :smile: --
Mr. Goldman says 17 cents goes to his family in payment towards the civil judgment.
Where the money goes, and whether buying it and possibly contributing to the promotion of OJ's name, is my dilemma.
When faced with such a question, I usually borrow it from the Library.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Already read the copy that's been floating around for several months in pdf format. Would I buy a copy? That depends on whether the Goldmans got any of the proceeds. If I were certain they would, I might. Otherwise?? Forget it!

The Goldmans get 17 CENTS per copy sold? That's awful. I'd rather just send them a check for ten bucks!
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I haven't read any book yet on the OJ case and I have no intentions of reading this one. I'm only 90% sure OJ commited the crimes. I don't like the way Goldman has been running off at the mouth. On one hand he is condeming OJ for the murders and one the other hand he is making money on OJ and the "story" of the killings. That just seems odd to me.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Nope, no interest in feeding into this one -- regardless of who profits.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

No, I will not buy this book nor do I have the least bit of desire to read it; I think it's down right repulsive.

I find it interesting that Barnes & Noble has announced that it won't be stocking any copies of this book in any of its stores. Sources: http://www.hecklerspray.com/oj-simpsons ... 079778.php
and
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news ... e-oj_N.htm

The Goldman's certainly appear to be hypocritical. They criticized Simpson when he was going to release the book he wrote, then turn around and claim the book is O.K., that is, now that they will be making some money off of it. Why? Are they really that money hungry? If I were in the Goldman's shoes - I would want absolutely NOTHING to do with this book or the profits it would bring in. It seems the almighty dollar is where it is all at - even if it is consider blood money by some.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Barnes & Noble actually reversed their stance on the book several days if not weeks ago. Take a look at http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 5887&itm=1

What's really sad is the fact that this slop is the only - or one of the very few - avenues open to the Goldman family that will allow them to get the money a civil jury says they deserve. I'll agree that Fred Goldman's mouth is sometimes his own worst enemy - but then who am I to really judge? There but for the grace of God in those footsteps I might trod...
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Angel

Post by Angel »

Never!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Did anyone see the interview with the Goldmans on OPRAH?
Or anywhere?
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

doug65oh @ Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 pm wrote:Barnes & Noble actually reversed their stance on the book several days if not weeks ago. Take a look at http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 5887&itm=1
Thanks for the link, Doug. I must have missed this one in my search. :oops:

doug65oh @ Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 pm wrote:... What's really sad is the fact that this slop is the only - or one of the very few - avenues open to the Goldman family that will allow them to get the money a civil jury says they deserve. ...
I can appreciate your feelings on this, Doug, but what about the Brown's? Or better, yet, the Simpson's children?

My feelings are quite a bit different...

The rights of Simpson's book If I Did It was taken away from the star earlier this year (07) and were awarded to Goldman's family to help pay off the $38 million (£19 million) owed to them by Simpson. (Highlighting is done by me, to emphasize my point, which is posted below).
Source: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainm ... 39090.html#

If this is an accurate statement, then O. J. Simpson is not being held responsible for paying off the judgment amount, set by the civil trial judge. Any profits the Goldmans make from this book is not going to be coming directly from O. J. Simpson; it will be coming from anyone and everyone who buys this book!!! Granted the profits from this book would have originally gone to Simpson, and these rights were taken away from him, however, as it stands now - the money does not go to Simpson, then paid to the Goldman family, it goes from the consumer directly to the Goldman family. Meanwhile, Simpson, sits back, playing golf, and enjoying a life of luxury, while the public is paying off his judgment!!! :shaking: (Note: I know the amount of judgment money is inconsistence from one web site to another - the amount isn't important - what is important is that the rights to this book were awarded to the Goldman family to help pay off the money owed to them by Simpson).

I may be way off track in my thinking, however, I am not willing to pay out any amount of money to help pay off a multi-million dollar judgment that O. J. Simpson owes the Goldmans.

doug65oh @ Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 pm wrote: ... I'll agree that Fred Goldman's mouth is sometimes his own worst enemy - but then who am I to really judge? There but for the grace of God in those footsteps I might trod...
I wholeheartedly agree!!!
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Kat @ Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:39 pm wrote:Did anyone see the interview with the Goldmans on OPRAH?
Or anywhere?
Unfortunately, I missed the show. However, I did find a couple of links:
http://www.oprah.com/about/press/releas ... 0912.jhtml
and
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/ind ... id=fd-news
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Anybody do the math on this one? At 17 cents "profts" awarded to the Goldmans for each book sold, they would receive $170,000 per million books sold. Sales would have to reach in excess of ten million copies before they even "recover" $2,000,000.00. So that means what, roughly half the population of the US - I'm estimating here but it's pretty close to half - has to buy the book before they get anywhere near the ballpark award of $34,000,000.00.

Theoretically though, by awarding the Goldmans rights to the book, the judge gave them the keys to the proverbial kingdom. If anyone wants to do anything with that book - serialize it or God forbid make a Hollywood film, they have to pay. You wanna do what? Well, I think it's a tad silly myself but sure I guess you could. How big's your wallet, Clyde? Show me money - then we might have a little chat.

As for the suit filed by the Brown family, I've forgotten whatever came of that but I thought it was either dropped or settled. Doesn't matter in the end anyway though because they all look like a pack of skunks dropped square in the middle of the Westchester Cat-Fanciers Convention - where litter isn't a crime, but a necessity! :wink:
- Robert Frost
Harry

Post by Harry »

They arrested the S.O.B. on robbery charges today. He better dig up Johnny Cochran.

I detest this creep as much for wife beating as I do for murder.

But he'll probably walk away from this too.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I've got my fingers crossed that he doesn't walk! :lol:
- Robert Frost
Kat

Post by Kat »

I thought maybe the Goldman duo might have been on another show- maybe Larry King or something.

I can't go into detail here- it's too complicated.
OPRAH did have also Darden & Clark, and tho they may not read the book- since they were there and pretty much know what's in it- the rantings of a wife abuser- they both said they would buy 20 copies. Their comment was about being sorry that the case failed in criminal jurisdiction and that then the only avenue our justice system gives the victim's families now is a monetary judgment. This may make the Goldmans look money-hungrey but this will be their reality until OJ or they die, whichever comes first.
They are committted to going after him in any way possible and they are the only ones who will. I think they are saying there are a lot of expenses involved with that kind of pursuit of justice. They have garned a couple of other assests of OJ's quietly, in these past years. I also think the kids get a portion. They said the way OJ had set it up originally, it would look like the kids would benefit, but they would not.

The Browns can't really go after him because they want to maintain a relationship with Nicole's children. However, they are nearing legal age- in fact I think Sidney is now 21- it was my understanding they don't live with him anymore. Maybe when Justin turns 21 the Browns will tell what they really feel about OJ.

The Goldmans aren't related to OJ or Nicole or the children.

I'm just informing you'all of what the show was about- in simple terms.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I was quite happy to see him being led off to jail again yesterday.

As for the book, no, methinks not.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Smudgeman

Post by Smudgeman »

NO WAY! OJ is a piece of garbage as far as I am concerned.
"I'd luv to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair"
Bette Davis
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I had to laugh the day he was arrested. I was listening to the CNN news channel when one of the reporters said, "This is a very serious crime..." :shaking:

As if a double homicide isn't??? :scratch:

O.J. is sure making quite a name for himself, isn't he? Something his kids can be real proud of. :ncool:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

twinsrwe @ Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:37 am wrote:I had to laugh the day he was arrested. I was listening to the CNN news channel when one of the reporters said, "This is a very serious crime..." :shaking:

As if a double homicide isn't??? :scratch:

O.J. is sure making quite a name for himself, isn't he? Something his kids can be real proud of. :ncool:

:peanut19: I agree. I'd like to see the court wipe that smug look off his face. He might figure he got away with murder but he may have just stepped into a bear trap he set himself. His ego may have just cost him his freedom. "Hey OJ, can you spell H-U-M-I-L-I-T-Y ?" Well, maybe not. :grin:

It looks like his kids will have a lot to live down. Could you imagine what Lizzie's kids would have gone through? :shock:

-1bigsteve (o:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I would also like to see that smug look wiped off his face, Steve. He is one of the most conceited of human beings; as if he has anything to be proud of. Apparently, he doesn't give any thought, whatsoever, to how his actions impact on, not only, his children, but his family.

The evidence against Lizzie was dittly-swat compared to the evidence against O.J., and his children are, now, old enough to form their own opinions regarding their father's guilt or innocence. Can you imagine how they feel and what they are going through? They may love him, but do they like him? Do they look up to him? Are they proud to be his children? I am sure Emma lived a life similar to O.J. Simpson's children, that is, up until the 16th of this month, when he was arrested, again. Now, O.J.'s children are going to have to live with the knowledge that their father has given them another slap in the face. Nice, father.

If I had a choice of being a child of Lizzie Borden or O.J. Simpson, I would choose Lizzie. At least, to my knowledge, she didn't go to the extreme length of being the distasteful human being that O.J. is.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Harry @ Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:47 pm wrote:They arrested the S.O.B. on robbery charges today. He better dig up Johnny Cochran.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Could you ever imagine yourself joining an "O.J. Simpson" website as a devotee of the case, or spending the night at the murder site if it were made into a B&B?

I wonder if old murders acquire a patina (in people's thoughts, of course) that somehow makes them "respectable"?

Any thoughts?
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Constantine @ Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:11 pm wrote:
Harry @ Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:47 pm wrote:They arrested the S.O.B. on robbery charges today. He better dig up Johnny Cochran.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Could you ever imagine yourself joining an "O.L. Simpson" website as a devotee of the case, or spending the night at the murder site if it were made into a B&B?

I wonder if old murders acquire a patina (in people's thoughts, of course) that somehow makes them "respectable"?

Any thoughts?

Well, I don't think an old murder case develops a patina as much as it develops an "aura" of mystery, even if all the facts are known. I think that when people visit a murder site, say Lizzie's house, they feel that they are touching a part of history. Thats the way I feel when I look for old trees in Yosemite that were photographed by Ansel Adams 60 or 70 years ago. I feel like I'm reaching into the past. It gives me a warm serene feeling.

In OJ's case I don't think his murder case will ever develop an "aura" years from now. A vile putrid stink maybe. But who knows. Someday some "Neo-OJ" knotheads may crawl out of the woodwork to worship him or the murders. I hope not.

-1bigsteve (o:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I have had it with him. I don't want to read his book. As far as I'm concerned he got away murder. I think it's time he be responsible for his actions. I really can't stand the sight of him on the news anymore either.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I agree. I'm beginning to get my fill of Fred Goldman too. If my son were killed I wouldn't want a dime from the killer and Goldman seems to think of nothing else but money. Making money off the details his own son's death. Are the Browns going for the cash?

I don't know. Strange justice. :-?

-1bigsteve (o:
Caitlin

Post by Caitlin »

I personally have had enough with the Goldmans as well Steve. Do you know that the day after OJ was arrested, they were in court petitioning to get possession of the items he stole? That is just sick. No matter how many times they say this isn't blood money, I think it is. Nicole's sister on the other hand, has said she wants nothing to do with them and only wishes to fight to have Nicole's story heard, now that I admire, she doesn't want a dime from OJ. All the Goldmans are after is money, when will they realize that even with the 33 million they can never bring their son back? I think what they are doing is destroying his memory.

I hope to goodness that the prosecution doesn't mess this up...I'm sure everyone is holding their breath....It's got to be a pretty big bonus to the one who actually puts him away for life. Personally, I will watch for that judgement.....and if he gets off....I think it's only a matter of time before someone takes justice into their own hands.

Because of the way the Goldmans have been marketing this book, there is no way that I will read or purchase this book.
Kat

Post by Kat »

There's something about a man crying that gets to me.
Goldman was in tears when he spoke about women reading this book who might recognize the danger they are in within an abusive relationship. He cried and said he hoped one woman was made aware enough to leave an abusive relationship. He's crying about Nicole, not Ron at that point.

From what I gather, 17 cents a copy is not going to make them rich. Nothing that they have achieved in the way of compensation legally awarded them, would ever come close to ever even reaching a pittance of the judgment.
OJ has said on tape that he will never work another day because any money he made would go to the judgement. He said that and smiled.
I think that might goad anyone here.

I feel like we are the justice system- we let the Browns and the Goldmans down- we are the reason OJ walks free and is continuing to ruin the peace and lives of the victims families.

I'm aware that this was a civil judgment- their only recourse after the criminal charges did not stick. Goldman says since that is the only avenue he has he will pursue it. He is especially aggravated by the taunts of OJ who continues free in Florida.

It all makes me sick too- but as I say- I'm still interested in reading it. I read the Ted Bundy attempt at putting himself into the 3rd person when he was trying to alleviate his boredom in prison at Stark here in Florida where he gave interviews to the Profilers about the mindset of a killer. I don't know who profitted from that book.
Ian Brady wrote a book as well, rationalizing the Moors murders- that book was purchased in my family. I don't know who profited from that book either.
We just want to get inside these kinds of people's heads and this is one way.

I notice 4 people say they will read the OJ book but most have not stated their position here. I don't expect them to. But I might be saying a little, maybe, of what might be their reasons too.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Anybody see the interview the other evening on Larry King with the feller that was the ghost-writer on this? I was shocked to see who it was - and how much he's changed the last several years. The ghost-writer is the same feller who gave testimony at the murder trial about the wailing dog... Pablo somethingorother.
- Robert Frost
Kat

Was a “Poll”

Post by Kat »

Kat wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:50 pm There's something about a man crying that gets to me.
Goldman was in tears when he spoke about women reading this book who might recognize the danger they are in within an abusive relationship. He cried and said he hoped one woman was made aware enough to leave an abusive relationship. He's crying about Nicole, not Ron at that point.

From what I gather, 17 cents a copy is not going to make them rich. Nothing that they have achieved in the way of compensation legally awarded them, would ever come close to ever even reaching a pittance of the judgment.
OJ has said on tape that he will never work another day because any money he made would go to the judgement. He said that and smiled.
I think that might goad anyone here.

I feel like we are the justice system- we let the Browns and the Goldmans down- we are the reason OJ walks free and is continuing to ruin the peace and lives of the victims families.

I'm aware that this was a civil judgment- their only recourse after the criminal charges did not stick. Goldman says since that is the only avenue he has he will pursue it. He is especially aggravated by the taunts of OJ who continues free in Florida.

It all makes me sick too- but as I say- I'm still interested in reading it. I read the Ted Bundy attempt at putting himself into the 3rd person when he was trying to alleviate his boredom in prison at Stark here in Florida where he gave interviews to the Profilers about the mindset of a killer. I don't know who profitted from that book.
Ian Brady wrote a book as well, rationalizing the Moors murders- that book was purchased in my family. I don't know who profited from that book either.
We just want to get inside these kinds of people's heads and this is one way.

I notice 4 people say they will read the OJ book but most have not stated their position here. I don't expect them to. But I might be saying a little, maybe, of what might be their reasons too.
Partial news item
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.