Celebrity Deaths

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta, as I recall, Olivia DeHavilland's picture was in "Southern Accents" magazine.
Cammie King's voice was dubbed over completely, in all scenes, because David O. Selznick had a problem with it-- didn't care for it.
See the above post on Alicia Rhett. She didn't stay in Hollywood long, and is, I believe, still residing in Charleston.
Twinsrwe, thanks for the post on Vivien Leigh's double. I don't recall VL riding a horse in the film, but she definitely had a double for that scene in "Shantytown," where her carriage almost goes over the side of the bridge. I've seen at least one picture of VL's double in the carriage, preparing to shoot that scene.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

DJ @ Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:24 am wrote:... Twinsrwe, thanks for the post on Vivien Leigh's double. I don't recall VL riding a horse in the film, but she definitely had a double for that scene in "Shantytown," where her carriage almost goes over the side of the bridge. I've seen at least one picture of VL's double in the carriage, preparing to shoot that scene.
You know, David, I think you're right - I don't recall Vivian actually riding a horse in the movie, either. The information I posted was simply a summary from the links I posted. It's been quite awhile since I've seen the movie, but now my curiosity is up. Maybe I'll have some time this weekend to watch the movie again.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I've had two bio's on The Vivling and it seems she had a very interesting life. I remember seeing a documentary on the making of GWTW and mention was made of Viv's double for that buggy ride along with some footage. I enjoyed the telling of how she got the role of Scarlett - standing near the director with that "cat like" grin of hers on her face.

Its a shame she died the way she did. I always liked her.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
DJ

Post by DJ »

I read a bio of Viv, but it's been awhile. Also, Lord Larry's memoir, and a bio of him. Not the healthiest of unions, but-- oh!-- to have seen them on the stage, together!!!
So many people trash Viv's accent in GWTW, but I think she did an excellent job, and she had a dialect coach straight out of Macon, Ga., named Susan Myrick, who was a good friend of Margaret Mitchell. Myrick would sent MM all the scoop from the GWTW set, via the post.
People forget how really thick Southern accents used to be, before TV. There's a recording of Margaret Mitchell giving a speech after the premiere of GWTW in Atlanta, at the Loew's Grand theatre. Her accent is so heavy that it almost sounds like a parody.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Actress Edie Adams has passed away at the age of 81. I just read her obit in today's New York Times at nytimes.com
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks for the notice, doug65oh-- I'd missed it.
I remember her best as Ethel Merman's daughter in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."
A couple of years back, PBS showed the kinescope of the live 1957 TV performance of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella," the one that was remade with Leslie Ann Warren (sp?) and Stuart Damon in '64, and broadcast annually for about 10 years.
Anyway, Edie play the Fairy Godmother in '57, and she had a beautiful singing voice and twirled her wand like a baton, darn near stealing the entire show.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I read up on Edie Adams after I heard the news, and it broke my heart to see that she not only lost her husband in a car crash, but also their daughter twenty some years later the same way.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

:lol: D.J. That's where I remember her best from too, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World." I never knew until I read her obituary though that she'd been Married to Ernie Kovacs.
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

DJ @ Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:26 am wrote:Thanks for the notice, doug65oh-- I'd missed it.
I remember her best as Ethel Merman's daughter in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."
A couple of years back, PBS showed the kinescope of the live 1957 TV performance of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella," the one that was remade with Leslie Ann Warren (sp?) and Stuart Damon in '64, and broadcast annually for about 10 years.
Anyway, Edie play the Fairy Godmother in '57, and she had a beautiful singing voice and twirled her wand like a baton, darn near stealing the entire show.

I remember the '64 edition of Cinderella. I saw it about '65 or '66. I thought I was the only one who remembered that one. I was smitten with Leslie's long neck and smudged face. I don't remember Edie Adams but knowing me she will probably turn out to be one of my favorite singers, as soon as I hear her sing. Too bad she is gone.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
DJ

Post by DJ »

In reading her obit, also discovered Edie won a Tony for originating the role of Daisy Mae in the B'way production of "Li'l Abner" (no relation to Li'l Abbie!).
Well, Richard Rodgers personally oversaw both productions of "Cinderella," so he wouldn't have picked a slacker to play the Godmother-- Celeste Holm did in '64. She was the original Ado Annie in Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma," back in '43.
I love the '64 version of "Cinderella," and it's star-studded. Jo Van Fleet mops up the show as the Stepmother. Ginger Rogers and Walter Pidgeon sort of wasted, but Leslie Ann Warren and Stuart Damon make the perfect Cinderella and Prince. I think the score is, song for song, R&H's best. Not a dud in the batch.
The show is truly magical when Leslie Ann appears at the top of the stairs at the ball, then descends to waltz with Damon.
When I was a college student during the '80s, I interviewed Pat Carroll
(who played stepsister Prunella) when she was touring in "Gertrude Stein Gertrude Stein Gertrude Stein." Tiny lady-- not even five feet-- who smoked Newports. Just a delight, and we talked about "Cinderella." No dish on the costars, though she said Doris Day was loads of fun to work with in "With Six You Get Eggroll," in which PC played DD's sister! BTW, trivia buffs: That's DD's last movie, to-date.
Anyway, Leslie Ann, then 18, was perfect as "Cinderella"-- still young enough for children to relate to her. The show's available on tape, and, I think, DVD.
Julie Andrews was slightly too old. Nevertheless, the '57 version with her and Edie Adams (and Alice Ghostley, of "Bewitched" and "Designing Women" fame) was a ratings blockbuster, which sort of blows Jack Warner's arguments for not casting her as Eliza Doolittle, six years later.
Andrews was scarcely unknown to the masses.
Anyway, thinking of stepmothers and stepdaughters, "Cinderella" does tie in with La Liz & Co.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I just love that Leslie Warren/Stuart Damon "Cinderella"! I saw it on tv when I was a little girl. As a kid, I hated musicals. But I loved this! I agree; all of the songs were beautiful.

Pat Carroll was great as one of the step-sisters. Is she still living? Wow - to interview her! I didn't realize she was that short. I remember her as doing a lot of game shows, as a panelist.

I don't remember any scene in GWTW where Scarlett rode a horse. She had to drive a real old horse back to Tara when Atlanta was burning. Oh, yeah. The fall down the stairs! That was really well done. I wonder how many takes it took for that. Thanks for the info on Vivien Leigh's double, twinsrwe.

Leslie Howard, I read, didn't want the role of Ashley. (Why he was chosen, with that English accent, I'll never know. He did a good job of looking like he was in dreamland all the time, tho.) I read that he made a deal with Selznick - if he got to do "Intermezzo" he'd play Ashley. He was on a plane during WWII that was lost (in England?). I've read he was a real ladies' man! :shock:

I guess Ed McMahon is going to be doing commercials as a rap singer. I saw some preview of one, and I thought it was very sad. To me, it wasn't funny at all. It was just sad.

Edie Adams: I sure know the name. I'll have to look up a picture of her. At first, I thought you guys were talking about Steve Lawrence's wife, Edie Gourmet (did I spell that wrong?).

I remember reading about the dialect coach. One of the practice phrases she had the actors use was, "I can't afford a 4-door Ford", using a Southern accent.

I've read some disturbing things about Vivien Leigh, who I think was the perfect Scarlett. I've read that: she was manic-depressive. Was so afraid to fly, they had to knock her out and carry her in and out of planes on a gurney (I've seen her get off of a plane when she was older...). Would not quit smoking, after warned by doctors and died of emphezema, I think. And she hated her hands - she thought them much too big. But then, I've seen a photo of the inside of one of her last houses or apartments and there was a like-bronze cast of her hand. And I've read she was a nymphomaniac. She even went after her plumber, I read. The book said she wanted to prove to herself she could get anybody she wanted. She was married when she was pretty young and had a daughter named Susan. I wonder whatever became of her. I don't think her and Olivier had any children together; she miscarried once or more.

It was she who was signed up to play the lead female role in "Elephant Walk", but she became too ill and Elizabeth Taylor was then hired for it. They say some of the long shots are Vivien Leigh.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta, Pat Carroll will be 82 this coming May-- yes, she did make the rounds of the '60s TV shows, and was particularly good on "Password." (As a child, I used to love the celebrity-oriented game shows, such as "Hollywood Squares" and "To Tell the Truth." Used to think Kitty Carlisle Hart was the richest woman in the world-- she died not too long ago, up in her 90s. Later, it was "Pyramid" and "Match Game." Thank goodness for GSN and those reruns!)
Also: PC was Cindy Williams's mother on "Laverne & Shirley" and the voice of Ursula in "The Little Mermaid." Lemme tell ya: She was brilliant as Gertrude Stein in that one-woman show!
Anyway, she was most kind to me, a very green college student. She said children would come up and ask her if her knees still squeaked (her complaint in "Cinderella"). Jo Van Fleet's line: "Well, rub some unicorn oil on them!"
As for Vivien Leigh: She suffered from incipient tuberculosis, which affected her mind. Also, I don't believe she ever got over Olivier's leaving her, even though her second husband, actor Jack Merrivale, was dashing. She kept right on working, almost until her death. Won a Tony Award for "Tovarich" during the early '60s, and starred in "Ship of Fools" shortly before her death.
BTW, Augusta: Thanks for the rave on the story! I still think Lizzie did it, but a "plausible fiction" helps to keep other theories in mind.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

augusta @ Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:06 am wrote:... I don't remember any scene in GWTW where Scarlett rode a horse. She had to drive a real old horse back to Tara when Atlanta was burning. Oh, yeah. The fall down the stairs! That was really well done. I wonder how many takes it took for that. Thanks for the info on Vivien Leigh's double, twinsrwe. ...
You're welcome, Augusta. Actually, I don't recall any scene where Scarlett rode a horse, either, but that is what the articles state in the links I posted. I agree, the fall down the stairs was extremely well done; I hope it wasn't a lot of takes on that scene! :shaking:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Marietta, GA has an interesting Gone With The Wind movie museum with info on Margaret Mitchell and some of the actual dresses from the movie. And trust me, after spending six years in the Atlanta area, some of those accents are still pretty thick.
augusta

Post by augusta »

DJ - Are you the person that wrote that first short story in the new "Literary Hatchet"???!! :shock:

Yes, I agree that Lizzie fiction keeps the ideas flowing. We have so little on the characters' personalities to go on. I enjoy Lizzie fiction. It can put you right there on that day. It can give you an idea of what the people may have been like. I loved Evan Hunter's book and Elizabeth Engstrom's too (except I didn't like how she portrayed Emma at all). Cannot stand Sattherwaite's "Miss Lizzie". I just hate that thing! :grin: I know other people like it, and I certainly respect another person's opinion. But I just hated that book.

I thought I remembered 'tuberculosis' being part of Vivien Leigh's problem. She was also successful as a maid in a famous play - I wanna say "Our Town" but I'm not positive. She won her second Oscar for "A Streetcar Named Desire", one of my favorites. I never saw "Ship of Fools" but have always wanted to.

I'm glad to know Pat Carroll is still living! I loved those old game shows, too. I just got the GSN back when I got a better cable package. Don't get a chance to watch it much, there are so many choices - coupled with websites like Hulo and AOL.com. I think my favorite is Password reruns. It just feels good to see like Lucille Ball on there or someone else that's passed away. Well, Alan Ludden himself!

Does anyone remember the game show "You Don't Say" hosted by Tom Kennedy? I watched that every afternoon when I'd come home from school. I can't for the life of me remember anything about the show. But it was a top favorite. And "Truth or Consequences". YES - 'To Tell the Truth'! That one my whole family watched and I had no choice, but I ended up enjoying it. It was fun to guess which one you thought it was. I remember when Bud Collyer hosted it. Then Garry Moore. Then Larry Blyden.

Boy, those take me back - just for a little while. Now I think I understand that Twilight Zone episode where Gig Young drives back to his boyhood home, and how precious it all was to him. Gee, to be able to do that ... But the old game shows are feel-good experiences.

Kssunflower, thanks for mentioning the GWTW museum in Marietta. I have to see it in my lifetime. The real dresses??! What a treat!

I used to collect GWTW stuff. Both for fun and as an investment. What investment? To see what those plates are going for on eBay today is sickening. I'll just hand it all down to my kids. Maybe their great grandchildren will make something from it. (I still love the stuff, tho.)
DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta, I remember "You Don't Say," too-- it came on after "Password," back in the very late '60s. Circa 1970.
Yes, Lucille Ball was a most competitive celebrity player on "Password." Betty White was/is excellent, as were/are Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence.
And, lest we forget, Elizabeth Montgomery, who was a frequent guest with Alan Ludden, who used to call her "Liz." So schmoozy!
Tom Kennedy went on to host the "revived" "Password," followed by Bert Convy, who's deceased. Kennedy, I believe, is still alive.
Back to Viv: She played Sabena, the maid, in the British production of Thornton Wilder's "The Skin of Our Teeth" during the mid 1940s. (Pls. forgive misspellings of proper names here.)
Tallulah Bankhead played the part on B'way, and of course was considered (never promisingly, though she did a screen test) for Scarlett, being a "true daughter of the South."
Viv also played a maid in "Tovarich" on Broadway, around 1961, for which she won a Tony award.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

augusta @ Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 am wrote:... I think my favorite is Password reruns. It just feels good to see like Lucille Ball on there or someone else that's passed away. Well, Alan Ludden himself! ...
Augusta, you may find the following information interesting...

Allen Ludden's home town was Mineral Point, Wisconsin, which is also my home town. He is buried in his biological father's family plot at Graceland Cemetery in Mineral Point. There is a 70-acre man-made lake at the west edge of town named Lake Ludden in his honor; the local community refers to this lake as Ludden's Lake.

Allen Ludden's wife, Betty White, donated some of his papers to the Mineral Point Room of Local History, which is located in the basement of the Mineral Point Public Library. This room once housed the city jail, and still has barred windows.

Sources:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... &GRid=1925

http://www.tv.com/allen-ludden/person/6 ... raphy.html

http://www.mineralpoint.com/community_life/library.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Ludden
augusta

Post by augusta »

Yes, that was very interesting, twinsrwe. Thank you for the post! Your home town, too?! I love Betty White.

I don't remember Liz Montgomery on "Password". I'd love to see any of those shows! Yes, Lucy was competetive. I remember Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence on there as "Eunice" and "Mama".

I think 'Tovarich' was the play I had in mind with Vivien Leigh, because it was in that time period, and I thought she still looked great. I didn't know she won a Tony for it! I remember reading she was fabulous in the role.

Wow, DJ! You remember "You Don't Say"! I wish they'd find that and put it on the GSN.

Someone I really miss, and it tugs a little at my heart to see, is Bill Cullen. He died of lung cancer (as did Alan Ludden). He must have kept working almost to the end, because he was still hosting a show pretty late in his life, I think. I've seen real old game shows with him as a panelist. I wonder what he did then - why he was famous enough to be a panelist.

Anybody remember "Concentration" with Hugh Downs? I was so little, I could NEVER solve the puzzle. That home version of the game was fun.

I wonder if Art Fleming is still alive? The old "Jeopardy" host. Gene Rayburn (I loved all the versions of "Match Game" - I caught him as a panelist on an old game show, too.) - anyway, I was sad to learn of his death about ten years ago, maybe. He was 80 or 81. And he did not believe in God. He was such a nice guy all those years on tv, I hope he made it into heaven. "What's My Line" was always good, too.

There are hardly any game shows on tv now. I don't care for 'Deal or no Deal'. I started watching 'Don't Forget the Lyrics' and enjoyed the first season of that but got tired of it. I got tired of "Wheel of Fortune" a while back, but I still turn to "Jeopardy" every night at 7:30.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Twinsre, Thanks for the info on Allen Ludden!
Augusta, "Liz" Montgomery was a champ "Password" player, back during the late '60s and early '70s. I haven't seen her on reruns, because GSN shows the newer versions, which started with Allen Ludden, succeeded by Tom Kennedy, then Bert Convy.
Bill Cullen was a game-show host/panelist from my earliest remembrances. I believe he was host of the first incarnation of "The Price Is Right," before it was revived in '72 with Bob Barker.
Many of those hosts started in radio, which is why they have such clear, understandable, unique voices. Even Alex Trebek started on radio in Canada. Of course, Pat Sajak was the inspiration for "Good Morning, Vietnam," and he used to do local TV weather. Bob Barker and Gene Rayburn also began as radio personalities.
GSN-- at least until recently, was rerunning Bill Cullen's "Blockbusters," from the late '70s.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You're welcome, Augusta, & David; I'm glad you enjoyed the info on Allen Ludden. Yes, Mineral Point is my home town; actually, the town is best known for the Pendarvis State Historical Site. Here are some web sites on Pendarvis:

http://www.wisconsinbeautiful.com/south ... onsin.html

http://www.mineralpoint.com/pendarvis_h ... _site.html

http://pendarvis.wisconsinhistory.org/

For the Golfers, there is the Ludden Lake Golf Course & Supper Club

http://www.activegolf.com/golf-courses/ ... nt_WI.aspx

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/cd9- ... l-point-wi

I have not personally gone to the Ludden Lake Golf Course & Supper Club, however, I found a web site that contains a review of the club:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ludden-lake-gol ... eral-point
DJ

Post by DJ »

Twinsrwe-- I enjoyed these sights. Judging from the map, you're really on the prairie, not far from Laura Ingalls Wilder "territory."
Now we know where Allen Ludden came by his distinctive Midwestern voice. Guess his ancestors were part of the Scandinavian influx to the area. Thanks for sharing!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

David, I'm glad you enjoyed the web sites. Mineral Point is about a 4 hour drive from Pepin, WI, where Laura Ingalls Wilder was born, so these two towns are not real close.

The town of Mineral Point is surrounded by farm land, although I wouldn't exactly refer to it as prairie land, which I think of as flat grassland. The countryside surrounding Mineral Point is full of rolling hills and trees, which resembles rural England. Here is a web site that pretty much describes Mineral Point: http://www.portalwisconsin.org/MP_feature.cfm

Fun Fact: In a 2008 competition to determine the “best” Wisconsin towns, Mineral Point was voted the most beautiful and best historic getaway: http://www.mineralpoint.com/mp_gets_noticed.html
augusta

Post by augusta »

Twinsrwe, thank you for providing all those lovely URLs! I will visit them.
Your NYC New Years' drop ball is gorgeous!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

augusta @ Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am wrote:Twinsrwe, thank you for providing all those lovely URLs! I will visit them. ...
Your welcome; I hope you enjoy those links.
augusta @ Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am wrote:... Your NYC New Years' drop ball is gorgeous!
Thanks, Augusta. :grin:
DJ

Post by DJ »

Twinsrwe, you certainly do live in a beautiful part of the World-- thanks for sharing! I'm lovin' the ball m'ownself, too.
Oh-- since we're in the celebrity deaths post, I suppose everyone saw where Michael Crichton died. He started off as an MD, and I remember reading an early book he did about a Dr., set in a hospital. I believe it was published under an assumed name. It was sort of a prelude to the tone and tenor of "E.R.," with lots of inside Drs.' lingo. I remember "SHAOH" stood for "Ship His A-- Outta Here." Anyway, the medical staff had an earthy "codespeak" that would go over the patients' heads.
Read "Jurassic Park" before the movie came out, and liked the book so much better-- but, isn't that almost always the case?
augusta

Post by augusta »

Yes, I heard about Crichten. I saw 'The Andromeda Strain' at the movies when it first came out. I was so young I couldn't understand most of it.

Westworld is one of my favorite movies. I was surprised that I liked the movie 'Jurrasic Park'. I have never read the book.

At one local hospital they will get on the speaker and call for "Dr. Strong" if there is a violent patient. I was in there one day when they did it. Didn't see the action, tho. It was neat to hear it and know what it really meant.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

DJ @ Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:02 pm wrote:Twinsrwe, you certainly do live in a beautiful part of the World-- thanks for sharing! I'm lovin' the ball m'ownself, too. ...
Thanks, David. Unfortunately, I don't live in Mineral Point now but I do go home to visit as often as I can. Home, sweet, home, yeah know? Glad you like my avatar! :grin:
DJ @ Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:02 pm wrote:... Oh-- since we're in the celebrity deaths post, I suppose everyone saw where Michael Crichton died. ...
I hadn't heard about Michael Crichton's death. Thanks for sharing.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I hadn't heard about this. I had just read his (2002?) book, Travels this Spring. I've read his true autobiographical books, but not his fiction. I just loaned this book out but the person passed away before reading it. Now Chichton is gone...

He was really tall, right? Like 6'7"?
I loved his true books.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Jimi Hendrix's old drummer died recently. It was on the news.

There's supposed to be a curse with the number 27 and rock stars. Jimi died at that age; so did Janis Joplin AND Jim Morrison. I think there is a long list of them. I was watching the E! channel and they said - oh, crap - who is that woman with the black hair who's getting all the publicity for doing a lot of drugs now? Anyway, they say her 27th birthday is coming up but did not say when.
Susan

Post by Susan »

I think you mean Amy Winehouse, poor thing needs help bad.

“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
augusta

Post by augusta »

Yes, Susan! It was Amy Winehouse I was thinking of. Thank you!

I came across a paper today that said William F Buckley Jr died in February of '08. I never heard it before. He was 82 and was found at his desk at home (Stamford, CT). He had diabetes and emphysema, but the cause of death was not immediately known.

(Source: NY Times online, Feb. 27, 2008)
DJ

Post by DJ »

His son Christopher is also a writer-- I saw him very recently on a "Book Notes" interview.
W/O looking up the particulars-- I recall WFB collapsed in a room of his house (the kitchen?) and wasn't discovered until the next day, by a housekeeper.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Noticed yesterday: Nina Foch, whom I remember best as the wealthy woman on the prowl for Gene Kelly in "An American in Paris"--
Also, Beverly Garland (no relation to Judy, who was born Frances Gumm), whom I remember best as Steve Douglas's second wife on "My Three Sons." She also co-starred on "Scarecrow and Mrs. King." Did a lot of B movies before going respectable as a TV mom.
Kat

Post by Kat »

And Sunny Von Bulow. But they're not saying what caused her death...
augusta

Post by augusta »

I heard about Sonny VonB. Husband Claus was convicted of her murder in his first trial, then The Dersh (Alan Dershowitz) got him off in his second trial. I do not like Alan Dershowitz.

I thought to google Buddy Hackett to see if he was still living or not. Turns out he died of natural causes in Malibu at the age of 78 in like 2003. I had never heard he had died.

It said that he played Lou Costello in the movie about Abbott and Costello that starred Harvey Korman as Bud Abbott. I watched that on tv years ago. I remember Harvey K as Abbott but didn't remember Buddy H had played Costello. I think it was a good movie. I'd like to see it again.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Betty Page has died at the age of 85
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the news, Fargo. There's a great link about her and her death at: http://www.comcast.net/articles/enterta ... ttie.Page/

She died in LA and was 85 years old. She had been in the hospital with pneumonia for three weeks before she had a heart attack. She was on life support, which was discontinued.

She had disappeared from the public eye for decased, as she battled "mental illness" and became a born again Christian.

She resurfaced in the 1990s, gave some interviews and a photo signing, but she never wanted her photo taken again. She wanted people to remember her as she was at her peak.

McCauley Culkin's 29 year old sister died yesterday or today as she stepped off a curb and was hit by a car.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Well, let's don't forget Van Johnson, who made it to 92, and all those movies with Esther Williams and June Allyson during the '40s.
I saw him recently in "Where Angels Go ... Trouble Follows," playing a priest/headmaster at a Catholic boys' school, opposite Rosalind Russell and a very young Susan St. James. He also appeared as a guest star on many TV shows, especially "Murder, She Wrote," and did Broadway (where he began) in later years-- "La Cage aux Folles."
augusta

Post by augusta »

Eartha Kitt died today at the age of 81 from colon cancer. She died in a hospital in New York.

A few years ago, she was touring with Mickey Rooney in a version of 'The Wizard of Oz'. Rooney played the wizard, and I imagine he was quite good at that. Ms. Kitt I think played the wicked witch. Her makeup in the promo shots looked way overdone, and I didn't like what little I saw of her interpretation of the character. I didn't see the show when it came 'round this way.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

One of the world's best playwrights died on Christmas eve: Harold Pinter. He was my favorite. He had battled cancer for a long time and nearly died twice before I think.

The Homecoming is a play I have taught in my script analysis class. When I gave the assignment for them to read the play by themselves as homework, they have one idea about it. Then when I have them take parts and read it aloud in class, they had a completely different view.

Plays are meant to be seen acted and not read. Especially Pinter.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
DJ

Post by DJ »

So true about plays being seen-- you can almost snooze off reading Eugene O'Neill, yet have your soul wrung out seeing a performance of, say, "Long Day's Journey Into Night."
Saw Pinter's obit-- had no idea he was still so young, given his longevity. He was already thoroughly established when I was an undergrad, several decades ago.
I've passed through Eartha Kitt's birthplace of North, S.C., on multiple occasions. Her dreams must have been very powerful to have carried her out of that place, particularly at the time at which they did.
If I'm not mistaken, she was one of the "New Faces of 1952," which gave us the "Fall River Hoedown." Paul Lynde and Alice Ghostley were also in the revue. Eerie that they wound up as Elizabeth Montgomery's costars on "Bewitched."
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Ms. Kitt was indeed in New Faces of 1952. She sang two songs, "Monotonous" and "Bal, Petit Bal."

Some years ago, I saw a revival of this show in New York with young unknowns playing all the parts. The young lady taking Ms. Kitt's part had to step out. Guess who stepped in and played her own part? (Darn! I gave it away!) That was the night I saw it.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
augusta

Post by augusta »

Well, it must have been either Eartha Kitt or you. I'm gonna guess you.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Augusta! Surely, it's Eartha!
BTW, A-- What are you doing with Luminol on NYE? Are you at No. 92? If so, you're expected to supply in-depth reportage!
Yes, the Twi-Zo marathon extends into tomorrow, for you non bowl-game junkies. Or, for those who wish to take a break from the bowls.
Also, all three "That's Entertainment" installments, plus "That's Dancing," are showing tonight on TCM.
Here's to a Mighty Fine Aught-Nine!!!
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

augusta @ Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:00 pm wrote:Well, it must have been either Eartha Kitt or you. I'm gonna guess you.
If you will check my gender, you will find that it disqualifies me. The answer is therefore Eartha.
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

As far as I know, Jane Russell is still hanging in there.

No, No, No, Not Alice Russell, ..............Jane Russell.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

'Hee-Haw' comedy duo member Jon Hager dead at 67
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=346970&gt1=28103

Hee Haw cast member Jon Hager, a member of the Hagers vocal duo, was found dead Friday morning (Jan. 9) in his Nashville apartment.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD95K0PMG3

According to the AP "Lovullo said Hager had been in poor health and was depressed since his identical twin brother, Jim Hager, died in May 2008." So it was a little bit of everything that finally put Jon Hager to rest.
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/origi ... 8788.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Hadn't heard-- one of those obscure cable channels (RFD or something)airs a lot of vintage Nashville/Country programming. Caught the twins about two months ago. They probably would have been even bigger stars in their day if they'd jumped to Lawrence Welk, where there were two pairs of twins in later years.
Stefani

Patrick McGoohan RIP

Post by Stefani »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_ ... mcgoohan_2

I loved The Prisoner and saw McGoohan in a play on Broadway titled Pack of Lies. Afterwards, I saw him walking down the street and he signed my playbill. What a nice, talented man.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Stefani

Post by Stefani »

And also today Ricardo Montalban.

"RRRRich Corinthian Leather"

"da plane, boss, da plane."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_ ... ntalban_12
Read Mondo Lizzie!