An English lesson

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Franz

An English lesson

Post by Franz »

I am a great flea market goer. Yesteday I found A dictionary of American Idioms. I wonder, is there in American English any idiom in which figures Lizzie's name?
For example: oh, don't trust him, what he said is just a Lizzie's barn story...
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
twinsrwe

Re: An English lesson

Post by twinsrwe »

Good one, Franz! :grin:

I don't know as though there is an idiom for 'a Lizzie's barn story', but below are a couple of links which you may find interesting.

Here is a list of Idioms along with their meanings:
http://www.englishdaily626.com/idioms.php

You can test your knowledge of idioms here:
http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/forums/36-Idioms
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you for the links, twinsrwe. Very interesting.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You're welcome, Franz. I hope you enjoy those links. :grin:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

In about one month or more I will be very busy and am afraid not to be able to participate to discussions. Have a good time in forum all of you!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Franz. :sad:
irina

Post by irina »

Hi Franz: I can't think of any idioms concerning Lizzie or the case but it is very much part of our folklore and references to her pop up in odd places. I first heard of the case from a teen magazine when I was 12. It was a fan magazine for the Monkees music group. There was a half cartoon, half picture showing one of the Monkees riding a two seat, old fashioned looking bicycle. Behind him was Lizzie's head over a cartoon body in Victorian dress. The caption was: Sometimes Lizzie Borden, you have the strangest ideas.

I had no idea what it meant and was more interested in a historical reference than the joke. So I started reading everything I could find about Lizzie.

In proper context we do sometimes use the word "axe" in place of "ask", while having Lizzie in mind. However there is a segment of America that routinely pronounces "ask" as "axe" (or "aks"), when there is NO thought of Lizzie or the case.
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you Irina, very interesting, "axe" for "ask"!

I read somewhere that sometimes even in the parlarment people joke mentioning Lizzie and the Borden case.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

That's called "metathesis" (accent on the second syllable). "Ax" for "ask" goes back to Anglo-Saxon times and may even be the original form of the word. It is because of metathesis that we now say "bird" and "horse" instead of "brid" and "hros" (for example).
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Lizzie in Slang:

1: A lesbian. Also, an effeminate young man; also lizzie boy. (1905 —) .

2: A tin lizzie noun. (1913 —) . A Ford Model T automobile that was manufactured 1908-1927 with only the bare essentials, thus making it affordable to the common man for the first time in history.

3: Lisbon wine. (1934 — 6). She drinks 'Lizzie' and methylated spirit (1934).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Constantine wrote:That's called "metathesis" (accent on the second syllable). "Ax" for "ask" goes back to Anglo-Saxon times and may even be the original form of the word. It is because of metathesis that we now say "bird" and "horse" instead of "brid" and "hros" (for example).
Or Morse and Borden instead of Mros and Broden...??? :smiliecolors:
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Or Morse and Borden instead of Mros and Broden...???
Hra de hra hra!
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
Franz

Post by Franz »

Like fromage in French and formaggio in Italian?
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Exalcty!
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

And the Spanish name for Algeria is "Argelia"!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Constantine wrote:Exalcty!
:grin:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Constantine wrote:And the Spanish name for Algeria is "Argelia"!
Oh my dog!
irina

Post by irina »

Fascinating. Glad I checked in here. I learned a lot. Thanks everyone!
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe