Does anyone know what this is?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Aamartin

Does anyone know what this is?

Post by Aamartin »

Any clue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twinsrwe

Re: Does anyone know what this is?

Post by twinsrwe »

I don't know for sure, but it appears to be a frame for displaying several hanging plants from.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

Did you find it in a flea market?
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

no-- it was buried in the basement
Franz

Post by Franz »

I thought it might be used in a hat store for displaying the articles. But it's difficult to explain the lower part: too low for the clients.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I agree with twinsrwe. I think it's a stand for small hanging baskets of flowers. They'd have to be light though as ihe stand doesn't look as if it would be particularly stable. That's probably why it has landed in the basement.
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

it's cast iron. sturdy as all get out
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I'm thinking more like Franz, that something fits over rather than hangs from it. Not hats. Not shoes. Not puppets or dolls. Not greeting cards. Not books. It's styled like a flower rack so I wonder if canisters holding cut flowers fit straddle the upside down U. I even Googled display rack/images and flower rack/images. Nothing looks like it! Do you think it's hand made by someone with welding expertise. The bottom sections are so low to not seem functional for anything other than showing off something pretty. The tiny loops at the end are too small to fit a hanging planter. THIS is going to drive me nuts.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
augusta

Post by augusta »

I'm gonna vote for a plant stand. A- do you know what it is?
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

debbiediablo wrote:I'm thinking more like Franz, that something fits over rather than hangs from it. Not hats. Not shoes. Not puppets or dolls. Not greeting cards. Not books. It's styled like a flower rack so I wonder if canisters holding cut flowers fit straddle the upside down U. I even Googled display rack/images and flower rack/images. Nothing looks like it! Do you think it's hand made by someone with welding expertise. The bottom sections are so low to not seem functional for anything other than showing off something pretty. The tiny loops at the end are too small to fit a hanging planter. THIS is going to drive me nuts.
I found out-- from my great aunt. It was made to hold cowboy hats and boots. Hats at the top, boots on the brackets-- and holsters too! How it came to be in my family is a mystery even to her. We have never been westerners!
augusta

Post by augusta »

How interesting! I wouldn't have guessed that, because I didn't know there was such a thing.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I would not have guessed that this was a made to hold cowboy hats and boots, either. Thanks for sharing this with us Anthony, I have learned something that I never knew before! :grin:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

Oh thanks Anthony. I made a half point! :smile:
irina

Post by irina »

I can see it as a boot dryer/hat hanger thing. It's unusual. I have never seen anything like it out west. I would suggest boots would be hung upside down sorty of with the arms holding the boots open to dry. Maybe googling "boot dryer" would show this item.

I was going to make a definitive statement which would have been wrong but I have seen things like this that held potted plants. When I was a kid African violets were a rage. I remember seeing things like this in homes holding a pyramid of the violets which took special care, limited light, etc. Some had loops where pots fit in, some had hooks like this item appears to have. Guess it could be a multi-purpose thing?
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe