John Morse

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

MysteryReader

John Morse

Post by MysteryReader »

Can anyone please, please tell me if John Morse came from PA? I'm reading about a crime during roughly 1875 (give or take a few years) and the name John Morse came up. I know there were probably a lot of John Morse's about that time. :roll:
mbhenty

Re: John Morse

Post by mbhenty »

No PA. history to John V Morse.

Morse was born in fall river. At some time he ended up in Illinois for a while, like 15 years or so. Then he finally settled in Hastings Iowa.

Also, John and Morse are very common names. When Andrew Borden lived in fall River there were 3 other Andrew Bordens living in Fall River, I mean fall river.

One of them lived just about 2 blocks from Maplecroft in one of 4 homes in fall river that were named. Lizzie lived in Maplecroft, and the "other" Andrew Borden lived at the Moorings, on Rock Street.

He never lived in Penn.\

:study:
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Thanks, mb!

I figured it wasn't any relation to John V Morse. :-)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

John Vinicum Morse is one of the most interesting, mysterious, peculiar, puzzling, and strangest characters in the Borden Story.

I have always been baffled by the fact that there were two major movies made about Lizzie Borden and that they both left out Morse.

John Morse is tailor made for fiction, such as the Montgomery and Ricci Movies. And let us agree that they were after all, fiction. Alas, based on truth but with a grain of garlic salt and utter conjecture.

Please allow me to say it again. John Morse is tailor made for fiction. A while back I got into a tiff on the forum with one member who did not find Morse's actions strange and poo poo'd the fact that I mentioned or made reference to fiction at all. But in fiction he makes a most excellent suspect and villain. Not that I believe he was, but his strange behavior made him so. And to include him in a fictional account, such as a movie, is obvious.

They have made two movies about the Borden Crimes. The first one with Elizabeth Montgomery was probably a lot more accurate than the recent one with Ricci.

Where anything factual that can be written about Lizzie, and not done before, has been written, an accurate account of the crime is yet to be filmed. Which is hard to do, when you don't know the truth, but one that does not leave out John Vinicum Morse.

But my experience has been that written fact is still more popular than fiction. But to a scholar of the case, new discoveries based on solving the crime and such factual information has been disclosed. The only thing left is creative literature, poetry or story. And one is not complete if you leave out John Morse.

Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I saw about 5 minutes of the Ricci movie I'm afraid, before I lost interest. I must watch it all through one day. 'The Legend of Lizzie Borden' was quite an enjoyable TV movie and in my opinion Elizabeth Montgomery played Lizzie very well, as a woman with hidden depths.

It is indeed strange that Morse has been regarded as a dispensable character in both films. You would have thought that the screenwriters would have enjoyed sketching in his particular brand of eccentricity in order to add extra depth to the story.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Curryong:

Eccentricity is the key here. Anyone who has studied the case has heard about how eccentric Lizzie was. We know the uncle was eccentric. So Lizzie must have been her Morse/Mother's daughter. Like niece, like uncle, I say.

Not only would he make an interesting fictional character, in many's eyes he is still a suspect to the crime today.

Another thing both movies have in common is that Lizzie is the murderer. Now, can we make a good story out of the Borden case and use Lizzie as the innocent victim who lost both her parents and in the end had to carry the load of guilt? I think so.

Curryong

Post by Curryong »

Well, the projected TV series is going to show her as a suspected serial killer, apparently! I think a film could certainly be made showing an innocent Lizzie, but I suppose the viewing public, if they think of Lizzie Borden at all, just remember the rhyme.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Yup, not having Morse in a Movie seems strange, as, in my opinion he is one of the main characters in the story.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.