Truman Capote

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Franz

Truman Capote

Post by Franz »

I saw yesterday a second hand book entitled De Sang- Froid (In Cold Blood), by Truman Capote, French translation published by Gallimard. It is about a murder case. Did anyone read it? Is it an interesting reading?
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Franz

Re: Truman Capote

Post by Franz »

Ah what an ignorant I am! I made a reserch online: I didn't know that this book has been so famous. I should have bought it yesterday!
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
taosjohn

Post by taosjohn »

Franz wrote:I saw yesterday a second hand book entitled De Sang- Froid (In Cold Blood), by Truman Capote, French translation published by Gallimard. It is about a murder case. Did anyone read it? Is it an interesting reading?
Franz, it is one of the absolute classics of American literature; surely in the top 20 books ever written in the United States.

An extremely famous book.

How it reads in French, though, hard to guess. I believe Capote spoke French, so it may translate well.

(There's no real mystery involved; the case was essentially self-solving...)
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you Taosjohn, I will try to find an English copy.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Franz wrote:I saw yesterday a second hand book entitled De Sang- Froid (In Cold Blood), by Truman Capote, French translation published by Gallimard. It is about a murder case. Did anyone read it? Is it an interesting reading?

I think I've heard about it but never read it, either. :oops:
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Okay, I just put it on hold at the library.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

I've not read it. Wasn't a film made of the book in the 1960's? I seem to remember seeing something years ago that might have been it.
taosjohn

Post by taosjohn »

Curryong wrote:I've not read it. Wasn't a film made of the book in the 1960's? I seem to remember seeing something years ago that might have been it.
A movie in 1967, a miniseries in the 90's, and a movie about the writing of the book about a decade ago...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There is no mystery to the murders In Cold Blood.

The study here is not the murders but that of Capote himself, and the way Capote handled and reported the case.

As with Lizzie Borden and many who have overly followed the case, Capote became obsessed by the killers Hickcock and Smith.

To those who study true crime, Capote's perspective and study of the case effected him in ways he was not prepared for.

:study:
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Just picked up a copy of the book at the library. I'll let you know Franz, if I like it or not.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Robert Blake was in the Movie, I saw it back in the 70's it was good. I never read the book.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.