Parallel Lives

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

MysteryReader

Parallel Lives

Post by MysteryReader »

Yay! I got my copy for Christmas and I will enjoy reading it. But, oh my goodness!! :shock: :shock: The size of the book...But I'll enjoy reading it and probably come up with more questions (I'll search for old posts before posting the same questions).
irina

Re: Parallel Lives

Post by irina »

I think I'm going to call Barnes & Noble & see what I can order by phone since I don't buy online. In another forum I am involved with everyone has just published a book. I need to get caught up there and on Lizzie.
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

It's good so far. I'm only on page 2 :lol: but I'm making notes as I read. It's not about the murder or who did it but the over all view of the town and lives of the people there, including the Bordens. It is all new information, etc. I'm really looking forward to it.

Irina- any new books you can list here or PM me? I'm always looking for new books and have several gift cards. :grin:
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I learned that Andrew Borden may have been smart but he was socially inept. "Set in his ways and a man of opinions, particularly on "temperance and moral issues." it was said he "spoke his mind very freely to anyone," yet if they attempted to reply he would shut his teeth and walk away." (p. 20). He also stopped going to church simply because the church wouldn't pay him his asking price for a piece of land they were interested in. :roll:

I've learned that people who protest the loudest or strongest about an issue *usually* has that problem going on in their lives (in this case, the opinions regarding moral issues).

An interesting point- he lived at home with his parents (& later, his step-mother), his wife and one child and siblings. He did move out eventually, when he married Abby.
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

'Shutting his teeth and walking away,' if anyone tried to answer him back. Yeah, he sounds very pleasant! It's a wonder he wasn't bumped off years before!

Tried to get Parallel Lives in Australia. Impossible, so I have it on order at the FRHS. As always, dear freight charges and a long time to wait before it arrives. I have heard it is encyclopedia size, Mystery Reader. So is Rebello. Do keep your eyes peeled for a Rebello on E-bay, though, as it is very handy.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Curryong wrote:'Shutting his teeth and walking away,' if anyone tried to answer him back. Yeah, he sounds very pleasant! It's a wonder he wasn't bumped off years before!

Tried to get Parallel Lives in Australia. Impossible, so I have it on order at the FRHS. As always, dear freight charges and a long time to wait before it arrives. I have heard it is encyclopedia size, Mystery Reader. So is Rebello. Do keep your eyes peeled for a Rebello on E-bay, though, as it is very handy.
Oh yes! It's encyclopedia sized :lol: my in-laws gave it to me for Christmas and my mother-in-law couldn't figure out how to get it out of its binding (in the box) so I got the whole box. It's great so far. I will have to put a watch for Rebello, as I've heard many good things about it.
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

There is a degree of validity that some people who are adamant about a subject are sublimating a part of themselves that they deny and fear. For instance some men who a extremely homophobic use this as means to repress the part of themselves that is sexually attracted to other men. All of us fall on a continuum about all things, so whether a person is expressing their true views about a subject or repressing hidden desires is not possible to determine simply by what a persons says or doesn't say or about their intensity of expression. An example that sticks in my mind is a few guys from my high school who were very close to doing jail time their teen years, then went on to become prison guards.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

True, Debbie. I just found it interesting. :smile: I'm keeping a notepad to jot things down as I find them. It's a HUGE book so I'll be reading it for the next few months. :grin:
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I kinda wish that they had Parallel Lives also available in 2 book form, as it would have made it easier to handle.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Fargo,

I do too! It is a very good book but awkward to handle.
pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

Just got mine yesterday. I had no idea it was so huge! I agree about the 2 book form idea.