An American coffee-pot

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Franz

An American coffee-pot

Post by Franz »

I found this American coffee-pot in a flea market. In Rome it's not easy to find something from America.
The coffee-pot is a product of D.W. Haber & Son, New York. I love the simplicity of its form. Do you like it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Aamartin

Re: An American coffee-pot

Post by Aamartin »

gorgeous. I would have bought it in a minute.... That said, I prefer coffee from a French Press!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Aamartin wrote:gorgeous. I would have bought it in a minute.... That said, I prefer coffee from a French Press!
Really? why not an Italian coffee machine? If I went to America, I would bring one to you, Anthony.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Franz

Post by Franz »

irina

Post by irina »

Great post, Franz!

The style of that coffee pot goes back to our Revolution. Paul Revere's style with silver and other metals was similar to that. I would think this is far more modern but the style reminds me of Colonial metal working.

I'm a big garage sale shopper. I am on the look out for anything valuable and I do pretty good. I especially like jewellery and have gotten some good stuff this past year. Right now I am wearing a beautiful red shirt with plaid and Christmas roses embroidered on. I knew I would love it on Christmas day when I bought it in July!
Is all we see or seem but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you Irina for your information.

I made a quick check online, Paul Revere's pieces are marvoulous.

I have an Encyclopedia of Antiques, a chapter is dedicated to the American Silver. I just found the name of Paul Revere in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

Franz wrote:
Aamartin wrote:gorgeous. I would have bought it in a minute.... That said, I prefer coffee from a French Press!
Really? why not an Italian coffee machine? If I went to America, I would bring one to you, Anthony.
Please come!
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

Franz wrote:
Please come!

When growing up we had several exchange students-- 12+ -- from all over. I get coffee sent me to me from South America several times a year-- I have to be careful with coffee or I drink 20 cups a day!
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

irina wrote:Great post, Franz!

The style of that coffee pot goes back to our Revolution. Paul Revere's style with silver and other metals was similar to that. I would think this is far more modern but the style reminds me of Colonial metal working.

I'm a big garage sale shopper. I am on the look out for anything valuable and I do pretty good. I especially like jewellery and have gotten some good stuff this past year. Right now I am wearing a beautiful red shirt with plaid and Christmas roses embroidered on. I knew I would love it on Christmas day when I bought it in July!
I LOVE not paying retail! I love those junk stores where you have to dig and need a shower when you leave!
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I love that coffee pot! Franz, what is an Italian coffee machine? I don't really care for flavored coffee but it sounds intriguing.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hey MysteryReader, Here is a link about Italian caffettiere:
https://www.google.it/search?q=caffetti ... d=0CB8QsAQ
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Thanks, Franz! I like the look of them. :-D
Curryong

Post by Curryong »

If any of you ever came to Melbourne, you would love our little coffee houses. They are tucked away in little nooks and alleyways, each with their own barista. A very wide selection, places like Starbucks don't do so well here.
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I love the handle...grace and simplicity. Here's its almost twin on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/85156678/n ... t-dw-haber

attachment=0]CoffeePot.jpg[/attachment]

Nickel Silver Plate Coffee Pot D.W. Haber & Son, NY

This very heavy duty hotel quality nickel silver plate vintage coffee pot was manufactured by "D.W. Haber & Son, NY, Pat. 33994044", which is stamped on the bottom of the pitcher. D.W. Haber & Son have prided themselves on being "Hotel Silversmiths of Indestructible Hollowware Since 1902."

The pot stands 9-1/2" tall and is 5" in diamater at it's widest point. From spout to handle end it is 8" wide. It weighs almost 3-1/3 pounds.

A nice heavy duty coffee pot will complement any table!

Although I don't always do so, I removed the tarnish on this piece to reveal the beautiful nickel silver finish and engraved NYH.

The outside surface, which is nickel silver plate, is in very good condition - no dents or dings. I believe the inside is stainless steel and is extremely clean and in great condition.

The top of this pot easily swings open and shut and is very sturdily attached. D.W. Haber & Son guaranteed their work for 100 years.

The engraved "NYH" monogram on both sides probably stands for New Yorker Hotel, since D.W. Haber & Son were well known for making hotel quality silverware products.

A very nice piece of nickel silverware overall.[
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you Debbiediablo. This one is almost the same as that I bought, except the form of the mouth.

I cleaned the inside but didn't remove the tarnish of the outside, that is a part of the pot history.

Does New Yorker Hotel still exist today?
Last edited by Franz on Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Sorry, double post.
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

Will you use the pot at all? I like to try and use things-- even old, collectible things!

When I visited Italy in 2000, I used my 'mad money' to buy a very good pasta maker-- and still have it and use it today? I should have saved a little more and gotten a cafe pot too!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Certainly Anthony. I buy every old thing to use them.

This coffee-pot is a pretty high one. I probably use it as a vase for flowers.

By the way, do you prefer a new coffee-pot or a used one? I have collected some, this is one of them. This Alessi model is included in the Design Collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

I would try and use them for cafe!
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Franz- love your website but of course, I can't read it. :shock: :-? lol.. but I do love old coffee pots and old tea pots. I did enjoy using an coffee pot that was similar to an Italian coffee press. By the way, are you Italian?
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I collect antique china, ceramicware and glassware but, like all 'antiquers', I see something else that I like and it comes home with me... :smiliecolors: The handle on that Haber coffee pot is spectacular. I would use it as a coffee carafe for weekend breakfast and lunch when my husband and I are both home. Or I'd designate it as a hot chocolate pot only. The New Yorker Hotel has now become the Wyndham New Yorker, 4 1/2 - 5 stars, located on 34th Street and 8th Avenue in Midtown Manhatten, only a few blocks from the Empire State Building. Madison Square Garden, Times Square, Broadway and Penn Station as per its website at http://www.newyorkerhotel.com/
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you Debbiediablo. I made a quick check in Booking.com, Wyndham New Yorker Hotel has a excellent location.

I am pretty convinced that this item was produced for hotel use, because it is just too huge - more than 20 cm high - for a family, but for a numerous family it might be ok.
Aamartin

Post by Aamartin »

debbiediablo wrote:I collect antique china, ceramicware and glassware but, like all 'antiquers', I see something else that I like and it comes home with me... :smiliecolors: The handle on that Haber coffee pot is spectacular. I would use it as a coffee carafe for weekend breakfast and lunch when my husband and I are both home. Or I'd designate it as a hot chocolate pot only. The New Yorker Hotel has now become the Wyndham New Yorker, 4 1/2 - 5 stars, located on 34th Street and 8th Avenue in Midtown Manhatten, only a few blocks from the Empire State Building. Madison Square Garden, Times Square, Broadway and Penn Station as per its website at http://www.newyorkerhotel.com/
While I don't necessarily collect it, I love old glassware. In October I found some old crystal liquor decanters. Was walking out to my car and dropped the box they were in, breaking them both! :cry:
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I love old glass vacuum coffee pots, myself. Nice find, Franz.
Neglect is a one way street to nowhere
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

For all of you who like color, here's one by a contemporary artist named "Borden".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/034-JULEEZ-034- ... 2518.l4276

http://www.juleez.com/about-the-artist.html
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you MB for the link. It's an absolutely lovely tea-pot. I would surely buy it if I found such a tea-pot in a flea market here in Rome.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Thanks MB for the link. I like the bright colors but that is about it. :smile: I am thinking of collecting a few perfume bottles and perhaps, books. Maybe I'll resell or maybe I'll keep them. I've always wanted to start an online book business but am afraid that more and more people are into Kindle. :cry:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Found some steel roses, that match well with this coffee-pot.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Ohhh, Franz, the roses do go beautifully with that coffee-pot! I am captivated by the middle photo, because it shows a subtle hint of color. Gorgeous!
Last edited by twinsrwe on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

twinsrwe, I am happy that you like these roses. The second picture I made it with the mode called Pin Hole in my camera.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You're welcome, Franz. I knew you made those pictures by colorizing them with your camera. It's just that I find the middle picture intriguing. If I had that picture I'd enlarge it, and then fame it with a silver colored frame to draw out the colors of the roses, leaves and coffee pot. :grin:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

It's very kind of you, twinsrwe. I like a little more the first one.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

As you already know, our likes and dislikes of the photos you posted are due to our personal tastes. I also like the first photo; it just happens to be secondary to the middle photo. :grin:
Franz

Post by Franz »

:grin: :grin: :grin: