An English tea-pot

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

debbiediablo

Re: An English tea-pot

Post by debbiediablo »

Very nice avatar of Abby and Andrew...:-)
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thanks, Debbie! :grin:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Franz

Post by Franz »

debbiediablo wrote:
teapots.jpg
I don't need these...my obsessions run toward rare patterns and pieces of blue and pink Depression glass, fine china with floral motif and old Japanese cloisonné chocolate pots and tea sets...but aren't these gorgeous? Made around 1940 in Japan. Not a bargain either. On eBay rather than at a flea market... :smiliecolors: Grace and elegance....
Yes, very elegant teapots!
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

That's very funny Debbied':

Smart cat.

He should be exhibiting an unsettling and shocking face at any moment. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I must confess. I am a collector. Collectors are very compelling and obsessive individuals. We collect everything from thimbles to gum wrappers.

Allow me to admit that I am very much in touch with my feminine side. Perhaps the reason I can attend a movie theater all alone. :shock: :roll:

That can be proven my one of my past collections, teapots. I was once a teapot collector. I must have had close to 100 pots in the collection at one time. Nothing fancy or expensive. A fun collection. It was fun using some of them. Using my collection, unlike collecting wine or coins is unique. Use your collection of wine and it is gone, use or spend the coins and, well....

I have since given my sister most of the collection, though I still have a pot or two left.

Below are two photos. One of a shelf in my closet room, and the other from a shelf in the basement, where my old silver plated collection lives.

Once a collector, always a collector. Recently I started collecting small children's books, called "The Big Little Book."

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Franz

Post by Franz »

I love your collection, Mbhenty!

I collect old books, Vinyl discs,coffee pots, bibelots, nothing of expensive but they are lovely little things.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thank you Franz:

That is the only thing I collect today, Books.

For a while I was collecting plates of Robinson Crusoe. I also have a "Robinson Crusoe Book Collection. Collected for their cover art.

I still have the plates, but since the decor changed, they are now in a box in the basement, along with the silver teapots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, I love your teapot collection; they are absolutely beautiful. I favorite, hands down, is on the top shelf, third from the left, in the second picture. What a gorgeous, unique, teapot! My second favorite, is the first one on the bottom shelf, of the second picture; it’s very pretty!

Thank you for sharing your teapot collection with us.
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Twins:

Yes, they are lovely things. The first pot on the top shelf is called a Chintz pattern pot, which as you must well know, is a term used to describe a flowered print, usually used in fabric.

The larger pot is in constant use. Of course, in today's world it is "stick it in the microwave and run." But every once in a while I will pull it down, fill it with tea.

MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

MB! I love these 2 pictures of tea pots. I love drinking tea and would use the first one daily, I'm sure. The second one, I'd put up as a collector's item :-) You're right- in today's time, it's stick it in the microwave and run but people need to slow down and enjoy the finer things in life. I'd collect books, too if I had somewhere to store them. Right now, I only collect them in the series I'm reading that I want to keep to re-read. :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thank you Mystery:

Yes if you had somewhere to put them. Books :!:

I know exactly what you mean about having the room to place books.

I often wonder what sort of bookcases were at Maplecroft, where Lizzie Kept her books. Many Victorians had beautiful English mahogany bookcases. And if she did, where are they today?

I've been looking for a mahogany bookcase for quite a while. But they are pricey. Most of my books are in bookcases I built myself—just painted pine.

Below is a bookcase I have looked at for quite some time. It's on ebay. Lovely, lovely thing.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Of course we are talking books, not teapots.

But, most of my book collection is in boxes. Banker boxes. About 150 of them.

Below are the books which are displayed in my library and not in boxes.

It is my dear polar collection, books about travels and exploration through Alaska, Greenland, Northern Canada, North Pole and South Pole and their discovery. Most are first editions and scarce. I have added very little to it in the last 10 years since money has all but vanished. It is a 35 year/plus collection.

(click on photo to make big)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote:Thanks Twins:

Yes, they are lovely things. The first pot on the top shelf is called a Chintz pattern pot, which as you must well know, is a term used to describe a flowered print, usually used in fabric. ...
You're welcome MB. Yes, I am very familiar with the Chintz pattern. The first teapot pictured in your post (my favorite), is absolutely gorgeous! The second one is a bit too busy for my taste, however, it is an interesting design. Thank you for the close-up pictures.

I particularly like Chintz teacups which have a flower on the inside of the cup. Here is a question for you...

Do you think The Girl With The Pansy Pin would enjoy a cup of tea made in a Purple Pansy Chintz teapot, served in a Purple Pansy Chintz cup and saucer, while she sits on the piazza of Maplecroft, holding Laddie in her lap?

Fine English Bone China Teapot - Pansy Chintz.jpg
ENGLISH BONE CHINA CUP AND SAUCER - PURPLE PANSY CHINTZ- ADDERLEY CHINA, ENGLAND.jpg
Lizzie A. Borden on the piazza of Maplecroft, holding her Boston terrier, Laddie Miller Borden, circa 1916..jpg
Last edited by twinsrwe on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, what an awesome display of the books in your library! :shock: It appears to be a place one could spend a lot of time in, without getting bored. :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

I haven't looked at this library photo in quite a while. I had just finished adding to the bookcase. Taken Sometime in the 90s. You can see the unpainted shelfs to the right. You can also see the old Brother Word Processor in the background. Gives you an idea how much ahead of the curve I am when it comes to contemporary technology. Also in the foreground is a copy of Leonard Rebello's book, which sits on my desk which is just off the picture.

Yes I do picture Lizzie having tea, offered to her by Miss Russell, in a Purple Pansy Chintz pattern or sitting on the porch with her Scottie, Henty. (the name and breed of her dog in the novel, The Girl with the Pansy Pin)

The new owner of Maplecroft is getting some interior work done. It is circulating in the the grapevine that she will also repair the old small wrought Iron fence along the Davenport property.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, I bet your library is even more fantastic appearing today. The picture you shared with us is so inviting, that it makes me want to spend a lot of time there.

Dang, my mind took a vacation without me, again! :shock: I knew Henty was the name of The Girl with a Pansy Pin’s dog! My bad! :oops: Actually, My mind was focused on the Pansy Chintz patterns on the teapot, cup and saucer. Sorry about that!

I hope the grapevine news becomes a reality! If it is true, then the owner is making every attempt to renovate Maplecroft back to its original appearance, or as much as she can anyways. Kudos to her if she does.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

The author of the Pansy Pin used a lot of people he knew in the novel. A good example is Maria Fatima McCahey, Maria Fatima being the authors sister. Even the owner of Lizzie's house is in there, with a slight change to his name. Thus, Henty, the author's dog.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Though.........

In my poetry book, The Sadness I Take to Sea, I did include a poem about Lizzie's pooch, Laddie. Her other two dogs are also mentioned....Donald Stewart and Royal Nelson.

The poem is called "Sweet Laddie."

In it Lizzie lays in bed dying, with Laddie by her side, as she begs for an answer to the merits and failures in her life, of her life's worth. Very sad poem and the best thing on Lizzie I have written.

My opinion, you see. After all, when it comes to one's own work good/bad is left to the critic.

The new Lizzie play, due out this April, has every poem I have ever written about Lizzie Borden except Sweet Ladie, which only appears in The Sadness I Take to Sea.

Franz

Post by Franz »

mbhenty wrote:Of course we are talking books, not teapots.

But, most of my book collection is in boxes. Banker boxes. About 150 of them.

Below are the books which are displayed in my library and not in boxes.

It is my dear polar collection, books about travels and exploration through Alaska, Greenland, Northern Canada, North Pole and South Pole and their discovery. Most are first editions and scarce. I have added very little to it in the last 10 years since money has all but vanished. It is a 35 year/plus collection.

(click on photo to make big)
What a beautiful library!
Franz

Post by Franz »

twinsrwe wrote:
mbhenty wrote:Thanks Twins:

Yes, they are lovely things. The first pot on the top shelf is called a Chintz pattern pot, which as you must well know, is a term used to describe a flowered print, usually used in fabric. ...
You're welcome MB. Yes, I am very familiar with the Chintz pattern. The first teapot pictured in your post (my favorite), is absolutely gorgeous! The second one is a bit too busy for my taste, however, it is an interesting design. Thank you for the close-up pictures.

I particularly like Chintz teacups which have a flower on the inside of the cup. Here is a question for you...

Do you think The Girl With The Pansy Pin would enjoy a cup of tea made in a Purple Pansy Chintz teapot, served in a Purple Pansy Chintz cup and saucer, while she sits on the piazza of Maplecroft, holding Laddie in her lap?

Fine English Bone China Teapot - Pansy Chintz.jpg
ENGLISH BONE CHINA CUP AND SAUCER - PURPLE PANSY CHINTZ- ADDERLEY CHINA, ENGLAND.jpg
Lizzie A. Borden on the piazza of Maplecroft, holding her Boston terrier, Laddie Miller Borden, circa 1916..jpg
Absolutely charming teapot and cup!
Last edited by Franz on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Here are some plates of mine:
Franz

Post by Franz »

mbhenty wrote:Though.........

In my poetry book, The Sadness I Take to Sea, I did include a poem about Lizzie's pooch, Laddie. Her other two dogs are also mentioned....Donald Stewart and Royal Nelson.

In it Lizzie lays in bed dying, with Laddie by her side, as she begs for an answer to the merits and failures in her life, of her life's worth. Very sad poem and the best thing on Lizzie I have written.

My opinion, you see. After all, when it comes to one's own work good/bad is left to the critic.

The new Lizzie play, due out this April, has every poem I have ever written about Lizzie Borden except Sweet Ladie, which only appears in The Sadness I Take to Sea.

Great!
Franz

Post by Franz »

A Holland made (Maastricht) teapot (?):
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Franz wrote:... Absolutely charming teapot and cup!
Thanks, Franz! :grin:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Franz, I really like the Kütahya, Turky, hand painted plate! It is beautiful.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote:Yes Twins:

The author of the Pansy Pin used a lot of people he knew in the novel. A good example is Maria Fatima McCahey, Maria Fatima being the authors sister. Even the owner of Lizzie's house is in there, with a slight change to his name. Thus, Henty, the author's dog.

WOW. MB, I had no idea the author used so many people he knew. With this new information I need to re-read the novel and pay more attention. Thank you for posting these tidbits. :grin:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote:Though.........

OK, another must-have book I want purchase; it sounds very intriguing. Can't wait to read the poem "Sweet Lizzie"!!!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Just placed my order for 'The Sadness I Take to Sea'!!! :peanut20:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Nice Franz:

Pottery can be very interesting, even plates and bowls.

You can hang them on a wall or display them on a shelf or even use them. I dare say, there must be as many collectable plates in the world as there are books. One must really know what he or she is buying, not to spend to much for a plate that is not really worth what the seller is asking. With ebay, everyone is a dealer or an expert, or at least they think they are. Many ask crazy prices. But one does not need to be rich to collect some exquisite items for very little money. In the end the best approach is just collect what you like, which can be very rewarding and affordable. I like the last plate Franz, the blue one.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Twins: That was very kind of you. I really hope you like the book.

Yes, The Girl with the Pansy Pin has lots of me in it.

Another is the conversation between one of the main characters, Martin McCahey and his father. They talk about a bottle of wine given to them by a Mr. Miranda.

J. Miranda is my best friend.

There is a Cobb Dube, who lives across the street from Martin McCahey in the story. He's really not a nice guy and a moaner. I'll let you guess who he was patented after.

In the Paris Chapter there is a character named Don Duarte, an artist who befriends Lizzie. Not a real person, but the real Don Duarte was my barber and had cut my hair for over 30 years. Sadly the real Don just died several months ago before I could get a chance to tell him he was in the book.

There are also fall river historical figures who were real people. Thomas Burrell was manager of the Academy of Music in fall river. In real life he was one of Lizzie's classmates. But there is no proof they were friends or communicated.

There's much more.

Once again, thanks for purchasing the poetry book.

Franz

Post by Franz »

Yes, Twinsrwe and mbhenty, me too I like very much the plate (almost a bowl) of Turky. it is hanging above my bed.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Maybe there are some on here who remember this.

When I was a little boy I use to go to the movies with my mother. Every time we went she would get a free plate, saucer, cup, etc. You would get a gift for attending the movies, unlike today where you pay 5 dollars for a candy bar.

Below is a photo of my teapot collection in its hey day. My sister has most of it today. I just don't have the room.

I have since gone through vigorous counseling, treatment, and therapy for my collection infliction and now have it well under control......

NOT!
Franz

Post by Franz »

mbhenty, I am so envious of you for your children book collection!

A couple of days ago I bought in a small flea market store a Grimm's Household Stories, published by Routledge & Son, London. There is no publication year in the book, but seems ante 1900, or even older.

I will try to post an attachment soon.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Here are some pictures of the book:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Some illustrations:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Franz:

Wonderful book! The sort of book I collect. I prefer cloth covers over leather ones. Just like a prefer a posy of daisies over one of roses.

I tried to find a copy of your book, Grimm's Household Stories. The Rutledge and Son copy you have is quite rare. Not sure of it's worth. It has wonderful covers. Looks like late 19th century, probably around the 1880s or 90s.

Nice! Love the color illustration.

You are now the new caretaker of this book. It may well sit on your shelf for many years. In time someone else will own it. And it will survive because of caretakers like you and I who save such items for future generations to enjoy.

Below is a couple of photos of my latest acquisition to my Arctic collection. It was priced very reasonable. Just had to have it. About a voyage taken to Iceland and Spitsbergen in 1856 by Lord Dufferin a British public servant and Governor General of Canada. When you had position, money, and influence you could take such a voyage.
Franz

Post by Franz »

mbhenty wrote:... You are now the new caretaker of this book. It may well sit on your shelf for many years. In time someone else will own it. And it will survive because of caretakers like you and I who save such items for future generations to enjoy...
I appreciate very much what you said, mbhenty.