Lizzie in prison today... (Wentworth television show)

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Aamartin

Lizzie in prison today... (Wentworth television show)

Post by Aamartin »

I have been watching a really good Australian television program (Netflix) called 'Wentworth'. It takes place in an Australian women's prison.

Several things jump out at me...

1)- It seems women are sent there prior to their trial/conviction and are in general population while awaiting trial.
2)- They have prison supplied televisions in their cells--which they do not share and are actually kind of cozy looking.
3)- They serve themselves their meals-- like a buffet.
4)- There are many cliques and 'crews' of women-- just like we see on other prison shows..

I wonder how Lizzie would have fit in to such an environment? Would she have been a bad ass? A quiet victim? Would she have fashioned a shiv out of a toothbrush and kept it in her bra?

I think she would have done all right for herself in some aspects-- She could have arranged for all sorts of things via Emma-- things money could buy. I believe she would have been assigned a fairly decent work detail as she was somewhat educated, well read and capable of more than some people seem to be. I also contend she could be manipulative-- and might even end up as a 'trustee'.

This program is based on the old series 'Prisoner Cell Block H' which I faithfully watched while I was in High School some 30+ years ago.

It's worth a watch...

Curry-- have you seen it?

Are Australian prisons like that? They seem, from this show at least-- to be a bit more sensitive and rehabilitative in nature to prisons in America.