The Art of the City

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Franz

The Art of the City

Post by Franz »

I bought this book in a flea market, authored by Peter Conrad, and entitled The Art of the City: Views and Versions of New York. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-City-View ... 0195034082

Has anyone of you read this book? Do you know any other good books about New York, especially about its art and culture? Thanks!
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
twinsrwe

Re: The Art of the City

Post by twinsrwe »

I haven't read this book, and unfortunately I don't know any good books about New York. Sorry, Franz, wish I could be of more help.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

I haven't read this book either but if you're looking to know more about New York, look for their page- hang on, let me see if I can find it- http://www.nycgo.com/

This might help you find things related to the art and culture. I do know it's a city that never sleeps!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, New York, the city that never sleeps.

I, on the other hand, live in fall river, the city that never wakes up.

When you talk of The Art of the City, you are not talking about fall river. (small f and small r for the small minds that live here)

Below is the cities latest destruction of art. This is the Fowler School on Sprague Street in the South end. It is being demolished as we speak.

This is a perfect example of the city politicians selling off city property to their crony friends. A company called "Dream Homes" owns it. They are taking it down and eventually will squeeze in 5 or 6 homes....

This is (was) a wonderful building—very Stately looking. To say nothing about its historical value. It would have made excellent housing for the elderly or the young.

Fall river has one of the worst reputation in the state for taking down historical property.

It's a shame. They have taken down many of these old schools. And nobody cares.

As for New York... I liked it better when it was all farmland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pld0128

Post by pld0128 »

I have a wonderful picture book called "New York Then & Now" by Annette Witheridge. Published 2001. It's got about 150 gorgeous images of NYC comparing the exact views throughout the city as they appeared in the later 1800's and as they appear now. I find it SO fascinating and thank you Franz, for reminding me to have some fun and browse through it again.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Speaking of The Art of the City, here is some real Art. New Amsterdam as I would liked to have seen it, in the late 1600s before the English took it away from the Dutch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thank you everyone for your precious information. If I am not wrong, 2024 would be 400 anniversary of NY's foundation. With some Chinese editors friends of mine I would like to try to edit some books (translations) about NY.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
Franz

Post by Franz »

mbhenty wrote: ... Fall river has one of the worst reputation in the state for taking down historical property...
It sounds that the mayor is Chinese.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I'm one of the most guilty members of this forum to go OFF TOPIC.

I do it all the time.

I also complain a lot about the city I live in and the abuses that go on here. And rightfully so.

Do I promise to never do it again?

Naaah!

So I will continue.

Below are a handful of historical schools that the the city of fall river has demolished in the past 3 to 4+ years. Mostly all of these schools have been demolished, except for one which will be soon. Many of them to contractors who will chop them up into tiny house lots. The mindset is nothing short of ignorant and criminal. (historically criminal)

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

a
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This is the Coughlin School on Pleasant Street where I grew up.

There is no news as to its faith. It is now vacant.

But it is highly likely that in a couple of years it will be demolished, if not soon.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And finally the Osborn School, also closed in 2008.

Not certain what is to become of this building.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Now here's a school that is being saved...

For all that's worth.

It sold last year to a private concern.

It's the Highland School. And the only reason it was saved is because it's in the Highland Section of the city, where a handful of seemingly historical buffs insisted that it should be saved. Only because it was in their neighborhood. Screw the rest of the old schools throughout the city.

It is now being renovated. When they get done I will probably wish they had taken it down. Some of the brick work along the roof is being replaced with brick that does not match and the roof eaves are being sliced off.

What we have here is not the salvation of an historical building, but the opportunity for someone to have a prime location for a business. Perhaps the worst of all evils.

Last edited by mbhenty on Fri May 22, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

It's sad that those buildings will be torn down. I told my husband this morning, that new schools shouldn't be built (we have a new one opening in the next town over) until something specifically is put in the old building. It's a shame to have all of these buildings that are in good shape sitting there empty year after year.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Because there are much less students now than in the past?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

No Franz. That is not the reason, though it is true that there are less students.

In 1920 Fall River had a population of 120,000.

When I was a little boy in 1922... no, wait... I mean 1960 the population was around 100,000.

Today it is more like 88,000.

But what is happening is the city is building all new schools. Big schools, big buildings, consolidating, etc.

When I was a child you walked to school. Schools were all over. Now they have these monster buildings and all the kids arrive via bus.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes everyone. Please sit at my table and watch me eat my words.

I hadn't been by the old Highland School in 6 weeks or so.

I was shocked if not surprised by the progress and the job they are doing.

In the post above I mention the bad brick work along the roof and how it doesn't match and the terrible job they were doing. They have since covered it with some wood trim. It actually doesn't look bad now. The trim along the roof has been reworked. It's not the same but it actually looks good. They actually added some dental molding and such. Surprise, surprise.

They are also adding a brick entrance to somewhat match the existing building.

It appears someone is trying to do a decent job. Chew, chew, chew!

Next time I go by I will take photos.

I tried taking photos with my phone but I couldn't find the button. And every time I unplugged it from the wall it would go dead. Hmmm?

debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I :cheers: off topic!
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
debbiediablo