A new website

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

MysteryReader

A new website

Post by MysteryReader »

Hi y'all:

In researching John Morse, I came across this website and wanted to know what y'all think? Of course, I sent an email and suggested they changed the colors for easier reading... :roll:

http://40whacksexperience.com/the-experience/
Constantine

Re: A new website

Post by Constantine »

I like the colors as they are. Very atmospheric.

(Or did they already change them? To me it seems easy enough to read.)
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

That is an interesting web site, for sure. I was also researching John V. Morse when I came across a web page which appears to be a part of the 40 Whacks Experience site, but I was not able to find this page within the link Mystery posted. :scratch:

http://tinyurl.com/qe7gayk

I also liked the colors of that web site, and found it to be easy reading. It's a good thing we don't all like the same thing, otherwise it would be a pretty dull world indeed! :grin:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I agree that reading white on black is difficult...for me. There's substantial research that some persons with dyslexia benefit from having a sheet of colored plastic placed over print. The kind that used to be sold to divide notebooks works fine. The color that helps (blue, green, pink, yellow) varies with the individual. This site is elegant but for me reading it made the words swim! From the site:

"What transpired when John arrived at the Borden house has been the subject of much debate. There were several dozen people gathered in the street, having heard that a murder had occurred, and that Mr. Sawyer was on guard duty at the side door. John, claiming that he did not witness anything unusual about the house, strolled into the backyard and plucked some pears from the arbor, returning casually to the side-door while he munched on the fruit. It was only when he talked to Mr. Sawyer and the maid Bridget, who was huddled on the stairs just inside the door, that he registered recognition of anything out of the ordinary. He was shown the bodies, and subsequently aided the police in their search of the house. He even speculated with a police officer over whether the killer had hid himself in the house the evening before, and raised the memory of an old unsolved murder."

Does anyone know what "old unsolved murder" is being referenced?
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*
Even Paranoids Have Enemies

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear."
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

I see someone named Melissa Rebelo is listed as a backer of this site.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

Thanks for the tip, Debbie!

I find it interesting but hard for me to read- I've been having some issues regarding that (most likely since I read a lot) but I'll give it a go.

I saw that too, but couldn't do much reading to understand- I don't know what "old unsolved murder" is being referenced. I also saw Melissa Rebelo's name. Isn't there a book regarding Lizzie with that last name?
debbiediablo

Post by debbiediablo »

Yes, Leonard Rebello with double L. Hers is spelled Rebelo on the site so probably a coincidence.
DebbieDiablo

*´¨)
¸.· ´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·'*

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I also caught the part of the 'old unsolved murder', but I have no idea what murder is being referenced.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

debbiediablo wrote:I agree that reading white on black is difficult...for me. There's substantial research that some persons with dyslexia benefit from having a sheet of colored plastic placed over print. The kind that used to be sold to divide notebooks works fine. The color that helps (blue, green, pink, yellow) varies with the individual. This site is elegant but for me reading it made the words swim! From the site:

I'm using yellow and it does help with the eyestrain.
"What transpired when John arrived at the Borden house has been the subject of much debate. There were several dozen people gathered in the street, having heard that a murder had occurred, and that Mr. Sawyer was on guard duty at the side door. John, claiming that he did not witness anything unusual about the house, strolled into the backyard and plucked some pears from the arbor, returning casually to the side-door while he munched on the fruit. It was only when he talked to Mr. Sawyer and the maid Bridget, who was huddled on the stairs just inside the door, that he registered recognition of anything out of the ordinary. He was shown the bodies, and subsequently aided the police in their search of the house. He even speculated with a police officer over whether the killer had hid himself in the house the evening before, and raised the memory of an old unsolved murder."

Does anyone know what "old unsolved murder" is being referenced?
Now that I can go back and read it, I did come across this statement: There was a similar axe murder nearby shortly before the trial, though its perpetrator was shown to have been out of the country when the Bordens were killed.[22]

I wonder if this is what the "old unsolved murder" means? Not the murder of the young woman on the farm.