An introduction of sorts!

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

cfowler

An introduction of sorts!

Post by cfowler »

Hello there everyone, my name is Chase!

I'm new to the forum (obviously) but I am not new to the subject of Lizzie Borden. I first heard the story back when I was in third grade (so it was 2005 or 2006, I'm really quite bad at math) when I was outside jumping rope. I remember the classic rhyme and found the subject interesting. The next Saturday, I remember going to the library with my mom and checking out a young adults books on true crime about Ms. Borden. I guess that's what got me into horror and other macabre things, and kind of made me the person I am today.

Anyways, I am digressing! I joined this group with the sole intent gathering information for a project, as well as figuring out any legal things I might have to step through. A team and myself are in the process of writing a musical based on Lizzie, and while we all read the trial transcript page for page and take notes, I was looking on here and thought I could find some other interesting bits.

Another thought I had, and since I can't find it anywhere else, is what (if any) legal processes are there to take when dealing with the story of Lizzie Borden? I originally thought that it's all open and that anyone can write about the subject, but I'd prefer to keep all my ducks in a row and not miss anything that could potentially screw me over, haha! So any help with that would be appreciated!

Thank you all kindly!
"He's a pretty cool guy." - Oscar Wilde, probably.
twinsrwe

Re: An introduction of sorts!

Post by twinsrwe »

Hello, Chase, welcome to the forum. You will find a vast amount of information within the varies topics of this forum about Lizzie Borden. As far as I know, there are not any legal processes, except you will want to be careful about copyright articles. Stefani and/or mbhenty would be excellent people to ask about any legal processes. Have fun reading through the topics!
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
JamesInnocentBorden

Re: An introduction of sorts!

Post by JamesInnocentBorden »

Welcome Chase. I do think the Lizzie Borden story is a wide open historical subject not owned by any entity/company, or Fall River. That said, there are other works, literature, plays, etc. that would be copyrighted. That would be pretty self-explanatory.
This is a great forum, and you will find many details researched, many that I was never aware of. I'm also new here and enjoy reading the various posts on this subject matter. Your musical sounds really fascinating. I hope it comes to fruition, and that in the future you can post more about it here.
Oh, Mrs. Churchill, do come over, someone has killed father.
L.A.B.