Are you lost in the world like me!

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Are you lost in the world like me!

Post by mbhenty »

When I was growing up color TV was just becoming popular. Some may remember the familiar maxim, "In Living Color." Woa! Was that not great. We were just getting use to color photography. Of course, those on the forum in their twenties or younger a rolling over laughing. No fear, I'm laughing with you. After all, age is a malady of brain not the mind.

If TV was the biggest invention of the early part of the 20th century, we can safely declare the computer the most important discovery of the latter part of the century. This brings us to the early part of the the 21st. In modern times its the smartphone that reigns.

I refuse to have a smartphone. Just don't want one or saddle myself with a technology I have never missed. Yes, I carry a cell phone, but it's one of those Star Trek deals. I say hello, I say goodbye, and put it away. And I never answer it when I'm talking to someone. They usually look at me like I'm insane. "Hey, your phone is ringing! You not going to answer it?" When I tell them, No, I'm talking to you at the moment, they just look at me like I'm crazy. How Ironic. No, I don't dance to the tone of my phone. And if someone answers their phone while I am talking to them, and they don't warn me that it is important that they take the call, and pull it out of their pocket, I walk away, and keep walking.

Which brings me to the video below.

I remember black and white cartoons. I lived with them as a child. Now I live with the nuisance of the smartphone. Such a valued tool. Yet the perfect zombie groomer. The cartoon in the video below is very telling. It is also very well done and powerful. It's a new release by Moby. Moby is Richard Melville Hall, a song writer. The song is called "Are you lost in a world like me." Lots of Moby's stuff has a techno beat to it. He's very progressive and a brilliant musician. It also sends a commanding message. If you are not into the music mute the sound and the video is still worth watching. Brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8
twinsrwe

Re: Are you lost in the world like me!

Post by twinsrwe »

Excellent post MB! :cheers:

I do not have a Smartphone either. I find it annoying when people are more interested in being on their phone than paying attention to what they are doing, like crossing a street, waiting for the stoplight to turn green or when they are in a conversation with me or another person. When I was working at an assisted living facility there was a caregiver who could not walk down to resident’s room without checking her phone, or dish up and serve a meal to the residents without getting her phone out and checking it. One day she was assisting a resident with her meal. This caregiver would put a spoon full of food in the resident’s mouth, and then she would be on her phone. The resident had to wait 5+ minutes in-between bites before the caregiver would pull herself away from her phone and give the resident some more food. I found that caregivers actions absolutely appalling!

I do have to comment on TV: Growing up, my parents had a black and white TV. I was 20 years old, before I had the opportunity to watch a color TV. The first show I watched in color was The Wizard of OZ. I have to admit, that I prefer watching this movie in black and white. :grin:

TV Trivia: The first televised presidential debate in American history, was held on September 26, 1960, between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon. Source: http://tinyurl.com/olx96bk
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks Twins:

Catchy tune... speaking truth to life.

I know what you mean. I love westerns. And I rather watch the old ones in black and white than anything recently filmed in color.

That's sad about the 'caregiver' and her crude behavior and her failure as a caring person.

I for one resent the term 'caregiver' as used for someone who gets paid for their service. A true caregiver does so from the heart not the pocket. Thus the term in the medical industry should be dropped and replaced with one which really describes such a person..... such as 'care provider' or 'care jobber'. The same is true for the term 'first responders', when in fact they are not the first responders in many if not most cases. Thus they should be referred to as 'qualified responders' or 'licensed responders', or as I really see them, "paid responders".

Another term that is casually misused is 'hero'. But we won't get into that one. If I did this system would probably crash. :lol: :roll: :oops:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You’re welcome, MB.

I see your point of resenting the term ‘caregiver’ for someone who is being paid for their service. However, the problem is not so much in the job title, as in the attitude of the person who is hired to take care of the elderly and handicapped, and even more so with the people who are in management positions.

The attitude of caregivers, such as the one I posted about above, was that they were not paid enough money to do any more than they were doing. Really? I would always remind them that they knew what the wage was when they accepted the position, and therefore their reasoning was nothing but a copout excuse. (Unfortunately, at the time I worked there, the starting wage for a caregiver was exactly the same as McDonalds starting wage for new hires. Where is the justification here? Slinging hamburgers vs. taking care of human beings. :shaking: ) On the other hand, there are caregivers, such as myself, who were there for the resident; these are the ones who went above and beyond what their jobs required. Don’t think for a minute that the family members didn’t know who the good caregivers were, and who the bad one were.

The assisted living facility where I worked, had a policy which read, ‘No cell phones’. The management staff knew that at least 98% of the caregivers were carrying their cell phones with them. When management personal would received a complaint, nothing was ever done, because if they needed to get a hold of a particular caregiver, they would do so by calling that caregiver’s cell phone. I can’t tell you how many calls I received on my cell phone, even though I constantly told them that I do not carry my phone on me, while at work. I could never figure out why they had such a policy if they did not enforce it. ???

OK, enough ranting on my part.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I hate smart phones. The glowing faces in movie theaters bug me to no end. Just before the movie starts they are reminded to turn the damned things off. I grew up watching Kukla Fran and Ollie, local D. C. kids shows, old movies like Tarzan, and Curse Of the Cat People. I went to fancy department stores and the toy departments had magic shows, puppet shows, snacks, etc. I still collect old dolls and Vintage kids books to this day. I am hard pressed to fit into modern times from a cultural standpoint. TV commercials are so bad, and when I go shopping, I cringe at the lack of quality. At the age of 69, I'm feeling closer to the past every day.
Neglect is a one way street to nowhere