Do you like this sideboard?

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Franz

Do you like this sideboard?

Post by Franz »

I purchased days ago this sideboard in a flea market. Do you like it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
mbhenty

Re: Do you like this sideboard?

Post by mbhenty »

That's a beautiful piece, Franz. Very unique and exotic. The sort of furniture that is difficult to come by in the US. How does it open? I don't see any handles? Does it have a lid like a chest?

Very funny that you post this. We just looked at a sideboard this week. But we waited to long and it was sold. Made out of old oak. What is commonly known as 'tiger oak'. It went really cheap, so I'm not surprised. Of course American furniture is very different from European or Oriental. Especially the ancient pieces. Below is a photo of the wonderful piece I wanted to buy. Funny how you and I were looking at sideboards at the same time. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

So.......

When I discovered the sideboard was sold I purchased a bookcase instead. (form the same dealer) It was really originally built as a hutch for plates and kitchen ware. Probably build around the end of the 1800s into the 1900s. Very nice piece. Of course I will be using it to display my book collection. Tiger Oak. Nice :!:
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hey Mbhenty! your two furnitures are adorable! They are much more gracious and elegant; the mine is definitively rustic! :-)
"Mr. Morse, when you were told for the THIRD time that Abby and Andrew had been killed, why did you pronounce a "WHAT" to Mrs. Churchill? Why?"
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Franz:

Your sideboard is definitely rustic... primitively chic. And I mean that in a stylish or tasteful way. What do you use it for? How do you get into it? Does it have a lid or door or history? Looks old. Uncommon style here in the States.

Below is a chest I just purchased this week. I have been redecorating my apartment and will be using the chest as a coffee table.

The chest was originally built as a hope chest or cedar chest. Could be considered Art Deco design. (?)

Hope chests were popular with young ladies hoping to be married and storing away precious belongings or clothing for the big day and new life. Many were used to store sheets and blankets and kept at the foot of the bed. Hope chests became very popular in the United States early in the 20th century and especially around WWII. Today they are used mostly for storing bedding or clothing and there's a very small market for new chests.

The practice of a hope chest was popular in Italy back in the 16th century and could have even started there. (would need to do my homework on that one) The early Italian chests were called a "Cassone Chest" or marriage chest. Original old ones, when found, are very prized and expensive on the antiquity market.

Mine is cedar lined, as was most "hope chests:.

Nice find, Franz.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hey mbhenty, my sideboard opens from the front.