Other Interests

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Other Interests

Post by Kat »

I was thinking about getting to know some of you better, and thought to open a topic based on other interests we have.

It happens that I am a great fan of The History Channel, and I noticed a new segment coming soon on their show Histories Greatest Mysteries: on Houdini, who I also wrote about for The Hatchet.

They keep showing a quick clip in the promo, where he is on a wharf with a crowd around him and he's in a bathing costume, 1908. There is one lady present right next to him, and way long ago I had captured that exact photo and manipulated it to add Lizzie Borden there. I just found that image in my files. (I call it a fakefoto)

I will present it to you- and when you see the next commercial for the upcoming episode, you may, as well as I, think how strange we both picked that same photo, altho more than 10 years apart... :!:
(you may click on pic)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kat on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

Re: Other Interests

Post by Kat »

OK, OK. I also love football!🏈 And donuts!🍩
Kat

Post by Kat »

And Ancient Aliens on History channel. 🙀👽
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat, I too find Houdini interesting, especially his relationship with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who, of course, created the Sherlock Holmes character. Their conflict was over Houdini’s Rationalism versus Doyle’s Spiritualism, sadly motivated by he and his wife’s desire to contact their son, who had died in WWI.

Oh, in reviewing this I see there was a 2016 series on Netflix called “Houdini and Doyle.” Anyone see that?
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Good to know other interests of yours, Kat. I hope all current posters will respond to this topic.

My hobbies? I read voraciously and have all of my life - literature, history, and science are my favorites. I have writing ambitions but haven’t seriously tried my hand. Love films, and music, too.
I’ve always avidly followed politics.
I like nature, keeping freshwater aquarium fish and many species of tropical potted plants. We also often vacation at the beach; I collect shells.
I’m also a (quite amateur) painter.
Thanks for asking us!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Bless you, my dear...I was beginning to think I was alone in the universe! :wink:
What fun things!...and sound calming and relaxing....🐚 (except for the politics🕴)
If you write fiction, Stefani welcomes contributions for review for acceptance to her Literary Hatchet!🎭
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Just read your article on Houdini and Doyle - “The Medium is the Message,” from “The Hatchet,” so I see you were fascinated by their relationship, too. Nice writing, Kat.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you...how kind!🌺
The tv ad just came on for the program on Houdini.
It's History Channel, 8 pm, Histories Greatest Mysteries, tomorrow night, Tuesday.
I think they are investigating whether he was killed, rather than died.⛓⛓⛓

Our Forum is so old, we used to actually headline a topic for an upcoming tv show "VCR ALERT." 📺
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here's my favorite picture of the friendship between Doyle & Houdini, hanging out at Atlantic City beach!
It didn't make it into my Hatchet article, but it was included when the FRHS decided to publish the essay on their website.
Can you imagine seeing these guys together- rock stars!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Yes, rock stars, brave for publicly putting their all into what was the biggest possible issue for each man, of whether we live on after this life. I admire how much each honored and respected the other, trying so hard to understand the other’s views—though of course Houdini would have liked for Doyle to have been right, as Houdini so wanted to contact his dead mother.

I place my own faith in science, but have empathy for Doyle as it was grief which seemed to cripple his reasoning. He so hoped what he wanted to be true somehow could be.

And though I am a skeptic, and believe science will ultimately provide the solutions, I do admit there is so much we do not now have the answers for.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Perhaps they didn’t respect each other much toward the end! Just watched the History Channel show, which seems to indicate quite the struggle over their stances, and between their followers, before Houdini’s death. Wish we had Lizzie diaries to reveal her, as Houdini’s did him.
Thanks for the heads up on the show.
Kat

Post by Kat »

You're welcome. Isn't it nice in Stay To Tea?🍐

Well, I'm taking the show with a grain of salt- you noticed at the end the writer/researchers kind of said it could have been this way, but...? They said even Houdini said it was an accident, and don't blame the kid...when their come-on was "was it murder?" I think they exaggerated a bit...they had to have an edge, or point of view, or controversy to even make a show.

And remember, Penn and Teller and other commentators are Magicians, so they have an agenda, like Houdini did.

When I was researching my article I was able to have an e-mail communication with Donald E. Simanek, Emeritus Prof. of Physics, Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, and was able to get his opinion on such as Amazing Randi, Uri Geller, Houdini, Andre Kohl and Doug Henning, skeptics, physics, psychology, and religion: with the relationship between religion and magicians as my main inquiry.
(When I’m writing I contact anyone and everyone, and surprisingly I get answers!)

I was surprised at the bitterness and aspect of revenge the show accused Houdini of...but my impression after research was that Doyle maintained a feeling of friendship with Houdini thru it all...but at times it was strained, as you say.
Last edited by Kat on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hey you've hit 50 posts! Congratulations! Yay! :smiliecolors:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:47 am Hey you've hit 50 posts! Congratulations! Yay! :smiliecolors:
You are really encouraging me, Kat, and I thank you.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat, you wrote:
posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=100820#
"You're welcome. Isn't it nice in Stay To Tea?"

You bet! Only way to top it would be actually sitting together in the beautiful tea-fairy-palace you posted pictures of earlier under this topic (while keeping our minds squarely in the "Privy," of course). :lol:

You also wrote, "....with the relationship between religion and magicians as my main inquiry."

Dagnabbit if that isn't a tantalizing inquiry.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Do we have our own private little sub-forum here, Kat? Well, folks are missing out IMHO, but it’s kind of nice 😉
Kat

Post by Kat »

I don't know why folks don't scroll d o w n more often!
BTW your inquiry about The Privy got a member vetted and approved this weekend! I'm sure they must be hap- hap -happy right now!🌟 Goodforyou!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

That does make me happy; thank you. And more than likely, my time will come...someday... :peanut16:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, it's been Ancient Aliens Marathon day and night Friday - Whew!👽
I've seen them all since 2010 about 5 times. I even take notes, so I can look up things for myself. I'm not so much interested in current UAP, or sightings or abductions, but I love the new astroarcheology, theories of how the universe works, astronomy, the now more commonly used technology like Lidar & GPR that contributes to the finding of lost cities in the Rain Forest, and the potential of more pyramids under the sands of Egypt.
I like the content of comparative religions, the paranormal and occult, astrophysics, history re-written, sociology, anthropology, legends and lore investigated, cryptozoology.

My very favorite topics are about the ancient monolithic stone structures with evolving theories on their origins and how built: like the pyramids of Giza, the Moai of Easter Island, Stonehenge, Baalbeck in Lebanon, Temple Mount, Puma Punku in Bolivia, and the one that pushed back the date of civilization to 12,000 years- Gobekli Tepe. Archaeology is changing so rapidly due to the use of technology, with the younger scientists coming to the fore!

I have always been interested in archeology - back in the 60's when we lived in California, they were always excavating with big dozers to build new homes in our area and I couldn't wait to rush home after school, grab my homemade sifter and a paper bag and climb to the top of the piles of dirt and find arrowheads and beads until dinner time!🗿
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

What an enchanting picture of you as a young woman searching the ground for clues! The marvels that enter our minds when we are young seem to stay with us forever; do you also find this to be true? For instance, I encountered the story of Lizzie as a pre-teen, and she lodged herself firmly into my brain.

I will have to revisit Ancient Aliens (been years). I do not altogether discount the possibility that Earth has been so visited, though as I said, I run toward skepticism and trust science. To me, it only makes sense, given the near infinitude of space and time, that some manner of life, and perhaps of an intelligence so capable, has existed at some time other than on our own planet. If they had the ability, why would they not go exploring? The lack of absolute evidence of this is disappointing, but the chance is exciting to imagine. And the immense building feats of pre-history are difficult to grasp, in terms of how they were built, but also, why? Just enormous resources of time, men, and money were devoted to their construction.

I share your enthusiasm for all things archeological, anthropological, and sociological. In those fields we may not be so frustrated, as tangible examples abound. By mythology and lore, I am also drawn. The concept of mermaids, for example, has always fascinated me, even more so since I discovered that the idea of them has existed for thousands of years. (I have quite a collection of vintage images of them, and figurines/sculptures.)

So, it seems we have a few interests in common, beyond the vexing Miss Borden😉
Kat

Post by Kat »

Four intriguing words:
10 Dimensions plus 1.

There are you-tube tutorials...🌟
A person may never return from that...👀
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Thanks for giving me such a mentally stimulating morning! First I did a YouTube tutorial, then listened to Neil deGrasse Tyson’s way of explaining multidimensional universes. That general concept is not new to me, but 10+1 was. Think I need to start listening to more TED talks and burrow less into all things Borden—ha! So much to understand, so few years to fit it all into…
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's cool you dove into that!😎
I wanted you to know you can have your mermaids, now.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Wait, I think I misspoke. I viewed a YouTube explanation, not a tutorial. There are tutorials?? :cyclopsani:
Kat

Post by Kat »

They are very hard and take time and I needed to watch them several times. There were several teachers to choose from, and if I wasn't getting it, I changed tutors until I found one with whom I was compatible. There would be a segment on Dimension 1, then a segment on Dimension 2, etc.
It's funny because when I first started, I thought hey I know about 3 dimensions, no problem, I live in that. Well, guess what. I tried to start at 4th dimension, but no way. I actually had to go back and start at 1 dimension! And watch that twice! Then on to the second, and watch that twice. I did get thru four, in about a week, but paused to let my brain rest and did not proceed. My manager at work who is brilliant and loves this stuff, did all 10 dimensions. Then I told him there was another - but technically it is not considered an 11 dimension, nor 10 dimensions plus one, but really rather ten dimensions plus 0. But the secret to the zero dimension cannot be revealed until the tenth has been understood.

I wouldn't recommend it...we would never see you again..but as I mentioned, at least you can have your mermaids.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

My mind is a bit blown here. I will need to learn more about this. To think, though, this is based on scientific string theory borne out in equations. Just hard for me to envision how we as a species which evolved to perceive just three (four?) dimensions might personally evolve to perceive more dimensions…
It’s certainly intriguing, though.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, if you are considering "time" as the fourth dimension, that's been challenged. That's why I say I'm familiar with three dimensions.
One newish theory (that I've had since I was eight years old) is that time is simultaneous.💥
Oh, and that reality and the universe is a hologram which technically is 2D.💥 Not tied, necessarily to string theory or membrane theory. You'd have to figure out for yourself what's most compatible.
[edited to remove one too many explosion symbols...]
Last edited by Kat on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Have you seen the movie, “Interstellar”? It tries to show that theory, applied. At eight?? This must be your day to amaze me.
Kat

Post by Kat »

No, not seen that movie. My father was a rocket scientist. He worked at the Cape and he invented and designed the first solid rocket engines for The Minuteman missile, 1960-61.
I live in Florida, can watch launches from my driveway (60 miles away), shuttles return with double sonic booms over my house cracking windows. ⚡️I've always brainstormed with him about his scientific interests...and I've learned a lot more from other sources. I've had friends who actually hands-on built space shuttles. I'm just very interested. I also have an intuition for math, but I don't use it except to figure out the discount on the coat I want to buy :cat:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat, wow. I was curious about where all that intelligence of yours came from. What an opportunity you must have enjoyed to learn from him, as his daughter.
So I also see we do truly have that shared orientation toward science.
I think you might enjoy “Interstellar.” Scientifically quite ambitious, it aims far above most science-fiction.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/neil-degr ... sive-waves

https://www.space.com/27692-science-of- ... aphic.html
Kat

Post by Kat »

Now, on the other side of my family, my mother was a double Life Master duplicate bridge player- that was her passion, and oil painter. She was Pennsylvania Dutch, and a "dowser."
She inherited "psychic" abilities from her grandmother. She read deeply in Edgar Casey, Ruth Montgomery, Jeanne Dixon's books. But would stop at the point when they got too far out there for her comfort level...like Mongomery's "walk-ins."

My parents and I read the Thor Heyerdahl books, Project Blue Book (the one put out for mass consumption), The Interrupted Journey about Benny and Barney Hill when it was first published in 1966, and I read a lot of Edgar Casey myself. This is before high school. (My dad was reading The Forrestal Diaries, and it wasn't until recently I found out that he was the Secretary of Defense during "The Roswell Incident" and died mysteriously.)
I think I had cool parents.😎
So I have a good admixture of arts and science, and I certainly want to make up my own mind about things.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for the links! I will enjoy looking them over! :cat:
Kat

Post by Kat »

BTW: Friday is Ancient Aliens marathon on History Channel again. At 7 pm EDST is an episode called The Harmonic Code. If you are not busy on a Friday night :roll: that is an interesting one about what the ancients might have known (and thus able to control for their own use) about acoustic properties...especially the 110 Hertz.
-------------
This is not part of the show, but related:
Tandy had a big building and for some reason his workers were complaining of seeing ghosts or hallucinations out of the corner of their eye or a feeling of prickling on the hair of the back of their necks, or feelings of foreboding.
He decided to get to the bottom of it. He did not believe his building was haunted.
Well, he did figure it out. There had recently been installed a large extractor fan and he tested the acoustics and sure enough it vibrated at 110 Hertz. It was a frequency that makes the fluid in the body vibrate, including the eyeball, possibly causing hallucinations. And there he found a good, rational solution to a potentially ghostly haunting! I am very interested in scientific solutions to strange phenomenon.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat,

Many years ago you had posted about “infrasound.” Is this the phenomenon to which you refer? Oddly, I saw that post of yours shortly after I had just read of infrasound as the speculated cause in Donnie Eichar’s
“Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident.” In the last year or so, scientists seem to have agreed it was instead caused by an avalanche…please see my next post here…
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

And yes, I had read about Tandy’s building in trying to learn more about infrasound. So we crossed paths there…
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:27 pm BTW: Friday is Ancient Aliens marathon on History Channel again. At 7 pm EDST is an episode called The Harmonic Code. If you are not busy on a Friday night :roll: that is an interesting one about what the ancients might have known (and thus able to control for their own use) about acoustic properties...especially the 110 Hertz….
Just finished watching it and it was fascinating. For me, it’s a big leap to technology imported from ancient aliens that early civilizations might have incorporated. Think it more likely that humans’ perceptions of altered states of consciousness, created in their bodies in part by sound, led them to connect these states with the supernatural/religious/divine. Why should they do so? I have read in recent years of humans’ cross-cultural seeming “need to believe.” Think I remember scientists even tracing it to evidence in genes?

Show had much science, to my delight, and encouraged open, creative thinking, which is productive. Just can’t quite make the link they speculated; which is okay—I understand it is the framework for the shows’ content and one need not agree with that position to glean much from considering the possibility. Stimulated my thinking on several subjects, though, to be sure.
Thanks for the recommendation! Makes me want to try out more episodes.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I appreciate that you are open to "possibilities" and yes I also enjoy pondering things and deciding for myself.

It's strange tho, that years ago, in conversations with the manager at work who was also watching the show (who I mentioned earlier)...we had been developing our own "theory of everything"- but he kept saying to me that he felt strongly "there's something missing we've not thought of before, it's right before our eyes but we can't see it!" I pondered and pondered and the realization came to me- we were "missing" acoustics! When I told him, I said you were right it was right in front of us but we could not SEE IT!
It was goose-bump moment- being that attuned to someone so brilliant - brainstorming about the nature of life, and why are we here... :smiliecolors:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, the AA theory also postulates that it is in our genes to need to believe in God(s) and religious ritual, but they tie it to the universal cultural acceptance and reliance on a promise that the God(s) will return someday....Hard-wired to accept that when it "happens."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Reasonwhy wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 pm Kat,

Please see:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-020-00081-8
Earlier I wasn't able to link, until now. I assumed it was the Siberian hikers story, tho. I have watched every show on that for several years. I am unconvinced by any of the theories. Why were some found so horribly mutilated?
However, anything that helps scientists understand more about unstable ice and Avalanche is always a positive outcome.
Kat

Post by Kat »

College football! YAY!🏈These have been big rivalry games today! "Homecoming!" :cheers:
I would love it if my Texas A&M team knocked out Alabama for a change!
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Sports are not my thing, but enjoy!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Only 1 point difference right now. This is crazy!,,🎉
Kat

Post by Kat »

:smiliecolors: WOW! Texas A&M BEAT Alabama! One of my Texas teams! Never thought it would happen! YAY!☑️ :colors: :bounce: :colors: :flower: :queen: :viking: :thumleft: :colors:
Kat

THE BAD SEED 8 pm TCM channel

Post by Kat »

Just noticed The Fifties version of The Bad Seed is on tonight, Turner Classic Movie Channel
8 pm
Kat

The Bad Seed

Post by Kat »

:detective: The pre-interview is bringing up nature vs nurture and the Talking Head said the character Patty McCormick plays (Rhoda) is just dead inside and a con-man.
Kat

THE BAD SEED

Post by Kat »

Leroy is about to wash the windows! Eeeek! Bad things happen when the windows get washed! :shock:
Kat

Post by Kat »

And then I switched to the Kansas City game (which took f o r e v e r) and sorry Camgarsky, we didn't do so well...🏈🙄
And then I switched back just in time to see Rhoda get hit by lightning! Very satisfying....⚡️⚡️
kssunflower

Post by kssunflower »

Hello Kat, I come back occasionally to browse the forum and was happy to see you again. KC had a terrible game Sunday night. It rained buckets in our area off and on for hours.
"To wives and sweethearts - may they never meet."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes there are at least 2 of us rabid KC fans here!!!
I'm very glad to see you here again! I've missed you and everyone!✨✨✨