why the turkey.

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

why the turkey.

Post by mbhenty »

So why the turkey. :-?

Like a scapegoat who was designated in the Bible, in the old testament—Leviticus, to wander into the wilderness carrying with it all the sins of the village. Poor goat.

And then there is the president's tradition of pardoning the turkey on Thanksgiving.

Pardoning him for what? Human transgressions? Why would the turkey need a pardon in the first place. What was his crime?

How magnanimous of humanity to bestow a pardon on such a fowl. :shock: :roll:

Dopey tradition? Though some see the charm or humor in such a custom, still, what did the turkey do wrong to warrant it :?:

I think the tooth fairy would have something to say about that :!:

This thanksgiving I am having a Cod meal... no Indians will be there, though :!: :-|
Kat

why the turkey

Post by Kat »

I don't know "why the turkey?" - I don't think they thought this through...just following a "fowl" tradition? :wink:

I was looking for an available topic, already started, to post some odd phrases we use in English all the time, and that when I hear them, I instantly feel sorry for our friends who are just learning English! This could be the "gentle rant" topic? Like what "bugs us?"

The weatherman said Passing showers will continue." Huh?

The announcer on the football game often says "They are back in front!" (When the losing team starts scoring and passes the opponents score)

The one weather guy says to the other weather guy who changes the radar screen, "Go ahead and stop."

Another weather guy used the phrase "pulling forward".

-- I would think it would be hard to learn the English language! :scratch: