Members Impacted By Winter Storms 2022

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Members Impacted By Winter Storms 2022

Post by Kat »

I was about to PM member Reasonwhy, wondering where she's been since the New Year! I guess if out of power, she wouldn't have gotten the message, anyway. :!:

I wanna know! Please tell the story? :-|
Reasonwhy

Re: Members Impacted By Winter Storms 2022

Post by Reasonwhy »

Hi, Kat! Have been missing you :) I posted this in the Privy today.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks! I'll head there now! Good to hear from you!!☃❄️⛄️❄️⛄️❄️
Kat

Post by Kat »

Any other members here impacted? Stories always welcome! I'm getting cold just thinking about it and I live in Florida!🌴
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

It was nothing here in New England. Average snow fall. We got about 5 to 6 inches of fluffy, airy snow.

But remember the old guy who use to tell you about how far he had to walk to school as a child, and through three feet of snow?

Well here is mine.

I was driving home from work down 95 through Providence, R.I. when traffic stopped. It was the snow storm or Blizzard of 78. Nothing was moving. Ten hours later, and after the snow was reaching the door handle on my AMC Gremlin, I realized that we were not going anywhere. I tried sleeping in my car when the police came by and told us that we should leave, walk up the highway and into Providence to find someplace to stay.

I had sandals on. It's what I always wore to the office. I was lucky to find some old boots under the back seat that were too big for me, but better than nothing. I wandered into the YMCA where I slept on a smelly mat on the floor in the gym with a hundred or more people. Talk about the smell and the snoring. I was stuck there for two days with nothing happening out on the highway. Everywhere, bumper to bumper, for miles, cars were stranded on the highway.

At this point I decided I had to get home, twenty miles away. . I walked down a deserted 195 for about eight miles before I was picked up by a couple of hippies in a VW van. They had a birthday cake with them and offered me some. They said that they were on their way to a birthday party two days ago and got stuck in the snow. (At least they had cake. Love cake)

Much later in the week I wandered around Providence with a shovel over my shoulder trying to locate my car, which was towed away. I finally found it almost five miles up the highway, almost all the way to Warwrick. This portion of the highway was plowed and cars were lined up all along the guard railing. My Gremlin was all banged up, when they towed it and scraped it up against other cars. All along the highway were damaged vehicles by crazy tow trucks.

It was the worst snow storm ever. I think we received over three feet of snow in Lizzie town.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Wow, what a picture, mb! I remember that storm. I was a junior in high school; we lived in a small Ohio town a mile south of Lake Erie. What I most remember is the piles of snow from the snowplows on the side of the road towering well over my head as I walked—just a short distance :)—to school, which was NOT canceled.
Kat

Members Impacted By Winter Storms 2022?

Post by Kat »

Is everyone OK, so far?
Reasonwhy, you too?

I talked to Stef and they may go out of power. I'm hoping everyone gets thru this Nor'easter unaffected!
:peanut15:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

We are good so far, thank you, Kat. Forecast here only calling for 1-3 inches. But I hear central Florida has iguanas falling out of trees! Watch your head :lol: