The cicadas are coming!

This is the place for friendly chit-chat on off-topic subjects.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

The cicadas are coming!

Post by Harry »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... das_pets_1

More bugs for Kat to watch out for.

Kat

Post by Kat »

They are almost that big. I don't normally see them tho- they make quite a racket! I love the sound. It is the first sound of spring (really summer).
I am awed by their orchestration- and how their voices (well, their rubbings) come in unison.

Ah, thanks for the bug,, Har..? :lol:
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Ugh! The music turns to an unbearable racket in mating years. Also, we'll see plenty of them--mostly their shells with ugly red eye. I remember the sidewalks covered with them when the Midwest had an outbreak in 1973. Brace yourself, Kat, you ain't seen ugly till you've seen these guys come out. :shock: Oh. And we just got swarmed by termites today. Winged ones, so they can't eat (except your paycheck); we lucked out finding them before they hollowed the floors and walls. They did a number on a croquet mallet the kids left on the lawn, though. The hit is scheduled for Monday. :twisted:

By the way, Har, how'd you perform the neat trick of regressing your age to 10? Are you sure you're old enough to be on here? :lol:

--Lyddie
Harry

Post by Harry »

lydiapinkham @ Sat May 01, 2004 10:49 pm wrote:By the way, Har, how'd you perform the neat trick of regressing your age to 10? Are you sure you're old enough to be on here? :lol:
--Lyddie
It wouldn't let me just put the day and month so I lied. Either that or I'm like Peter Pan and won't grow up.

I like your Avator too Lyddie. That large book Did She Or Didn't She with the pages of the Evening Standard has quite a few Lydia Pinkham advertisements in it. I'll have to scan a few.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I didn't get to your link, Har, until too late- it's gone.
I was watching the noon news here and "The Cicada's are coming!"
Just like you posted!
However, I didn't know that their appearance is only every 17 years- that otherwise they live underground eating tree roots.
Well, they are out now and mating. I still haven't seen any but I guess they are swarming.
The wonderful sound of summer I hear around here must be garden variety crickets- we just always called them cicadas!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

So, the last time we've seen them, 17 years ago,
was 1987? Hmmm I was in Vermont then and don't
remember any outbreak, I wonder if New Jersey
will get em? I think it is interesting, what curious
bugs!