Lizzie Borden Home Movies Now On-Line

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Richard

Lizzie Borden Home Movies Now On-Line

Post by Richard »

This is a short and sweet film of the new courthoue in construction. I decided to start a new series that is just little snippets without any attempt at being a documentary, although I couldn't resist throwing in a few historical titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23CRZo1K_Fg

Enjoy.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! What a monstrosity! I mean, as across the street from the Borden house.
That was cool- especially since the last time I was there there was just a big hole in the ground.
Nice video! Did you order up the bus specially? :wink:
Thanks!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Wow. That was very effective. Shows how the charm of yesteryear is continually being pushed out & buried by modern construction. Even in Fall River! Imagining the Victorian era of Second Street will become harder & harder.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It has grown even higher since that was made, Richard. It is a monstrosity. We had to laugh- the sand and gravel company is MORSE-the red trucks have that painted in gold on the side of the truck doors.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I cannot believe how big that building is going to be. It looks like it's going to block out the sun. It looks really out of place for a small street.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I know that Fall River is making a mistake by building the courthouse on that site. If the city of Fall River ever realizes the mistake by that time it will be too late as the by then the structure will have been completed.

Of all the picture I have looked at of second street from the 1890's I can't make out ST Mary's Church in any of them. I guess the trees are in the way too much.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I had to repost the Courthouse video with a new address. Please note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23CRZo1K_Fg

Also, new Max The Cat Video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZaev7xszXQ
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

That's great, Richard.

Isn't he lovely with his dark plush fur (Max, not Richard!). Reminds me of my late great Benny.

Thanks too, Shelley, for posting this on your blog.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Max has one white toe and a few white chest hairs, thus removing any negative black cat superstitions! He is very serene and all-knowing as he parades regally around the premises! Oh yes, Max is blog -worthy! I suspect soon he will have his own web site!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Great short films, Richard. I agree, the new courthouse is HUGE! I wonder why they couldn't find a more appropriate place downtown to build it? Max looks like a total sweetie pie, I hope all the guests are careful when driving around back of the house to park if he roams by the barn.

Shelley, does Max have a favorite room in the Borden house to hang-out in and sleep in?
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

In the early morning Max curls up on the pile of extra blankets on the red chair at the top of the front landing. (just outside the bathroom door which was once the girls' dress closet) Later on in the morning he catches the sun in Abby and Andrew's room (actually at the foot of the bed in what was Abby's dressing room). During the day he greets people in front of the barn-and he is a very savvy kitty about cars and traffic on Second St. I will get some pix of Max at rest this weekend.

He keeps his toys and tuna under the old black stove in the kitchen. :smile:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley @ Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:18 am wrote:...and he is a very savvy kitty about cars and traffic on Second St.
O thank goodness for that! I wondered when I saw him outside if he was streetwise. Is he fixed...I hope so, as that often helps keep the wandering down. I lost one outdoor cat in the late 70s & since became very strict about outdoor time.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Nice video's Richard. Loved the one on Max. Like all cats he seems to have made himself right at home. Way to go, Max!

In this article on the new court house they make mention of a Borden Way.

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x1775724855

"The new building will also result in the reopening of Borden Way, which will become a one-way street connecting Second Street to South Main Street."

Where is (or was) Borden Way? Is it just extending Borden street to South Main?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm certain that Borden Way will be stretching from the end of the construction site on the right as you face it, down the side of the Dunkin Doughnuts and opening onto South Main Street.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks, Richard, that's what I suspected. Since Spring St. is one way down to South Main I'm going to assume Borden Way will be one up.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I was thinking Borden Way will simply be an extension of Borden Street, going through to South Main- and yes, it would make sense to be able to turn right onto it from Borden Street, just past the parking garage.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I remember at least one sketch of the street I saw of the area in the 1890's that showed a 4 way intersection just past the Borden house heading north.

Thats why when I arrived there I thought I was on the wrong street I didn't realize the other 2 streets had been closed off. Where I should have seen an intersection there were buildings and only 1 road.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Liked both films Richard. Of course the one on Max was just awesome. He is really a handsome cat & I love his voice.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Shelley @ Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:18 am wrote:In the early morning Max curls up on the pile of extra blankets on the red chair at the top of the front landing. (just outside the bathroom door which was once the girls' dress closet) Later on in the morning he catches the sun in Abby and Andrew's room (actually at the foot of the bed in what was Abby's dressing room). During the day he greets people in front of the barn-and he is a very savvy kitty about cars and traffic on Second St. I will get some pix of Max at rest this weekend.

He keeps his toys and tuna under the old black stove in the kitchen. :smile:
Thanks, Shelley, thats great, it sounds like Max has totally made himself at home. I was curious if Max had a favorite room because I envisioned him being put off by a guest staying and sleeping in his favorite bed. Has Max ever slept with any of the guests? I think that would make a stay at the B&B extra nice. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Mostly Max likes to sleep with his favorite gal- LeeAnn, on the third floor. From time to time, we get an allergic guests. Last weekend we had two (which is rare) so he had to camp out in the barn (which is pretty darn nice!) I have an air mattress out there myself when the house is full! :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh I sure liked that video, Richard! So Max has moved in!

At the end, in his closeup, I saw the Cheshire Cat- the closeup was slightly distorted and I saw, superimposed, a Cheshire cat grin ear to ear (no teeth showing). It was cool! Thanks!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, the last shot of Max is very haunting. His face fills the screen but it is back lit with the light coming in through the window, so it makes him look very black. You can barely make out his eyes, and there are weird shades that makes it look like he is grinning. Either way, it's a very unusual close-up of a cat. He has a haunted and mysterious look to him.

The toy cat in the Andrew bedroom was a happy accident. I just happen to find it there at the foot of the bed,and then I walked into Abby's room and found Max sitting at the foot of that bed. It was humerous and I hope that comes across in the film.