New Lizzie Borden Book

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

stuartwsa

New Lizzie Borden Book

Post by stuartwsa »

Has anyone read Annette Holba's new book, "Lizzie Borden Took An Axe, Or Did She?" Mine is on the way...
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I have seen the book and plan to order it from barnes and noble when I get paid this week. From the blurb I read about it, it sounds good.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I'm waiting for mine to arrive also. I ordered it from amazon.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

I've got mine from Amazon. From the point of view of Borden researchers, the meat of the book consists of five essays previously published in The Hatchet or the LBQ. Dr. Holba has cleverly packaged these as a college textbook designed to teach students to use critical thinking skills to analyze narratives of all kinds. Lizzie Borden's story is a good choice for this: it has blood, mystery, murder, and hints of unsavory sex; it's a story that almost everybody has heard about but whose facts and folklore are widely divergent; there is a great deal of written evidence from the time and a number of retellings.

The Lizzie researcher who isn't interested in critical theory is unlikely to find anything new here.

The Lizzie researcher who is interested in narratives qua narratives will wonder why there isn't a chapter explaining Lizzie's lifelong notoriety in terms of Michel Foucault's carceral continuum.
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

http://unnaturalhistory.blogspot.com
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I guess I need to order it, it sounds good.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
diana

Post by diana »

Thanks, wordweaver -- I found your review very helpful.