My new novel The Murderer's Maid focuses on Bridget

Discover or post articles and transcripts about Lizzie Borden.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

ErikaMailman

My new novel The Murderer's Maid focuses on Bridget

Post by ErikaMailman »

I'm excited to announce that my (hopefully decently-researched) novel The Murderer's Maid: A Lizzie Borden Novel is coming out in October. It's available for preorder now (http://amzn.to/2oJWrD7).
"THE MURDERER’S MAID is amazing! Fascinating, mesmerizing, and so darkly atmospheric that you keep looking over your shoulder as you read. A truly unique voice" -Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series.
cvr with DG quote.jpg
Bram Stoker Award finalist Erika Mailman brings the chilling legend of Lizzie Borden into new focus by adding a riveting contemporary narrative. The true story of the brutal murder of Lizzie Borden’s father and stepmother haunts American history, and Mailman’s prose brings the tale squarely into the modern world, ensuring its relevance to a new generation of readers.

THE MURDERER’S MAID interweaves the stories of two women: one, the servant of infamous murderer Lizzie Borden, and the other a modern-day barista fleeing from an attempt on her life.

Trapped by servitude and afraid for her own safety, Irish maid Bridget finds herself an unwilling witness to the tensions in the volatile Borden household. Lizzie, the younger sister, seethes with resentment against her father and stepmother. As conditions deteriorate, Bridget tries to perform her duties and keep her mouth shut.

Unknowingly connected to the legendary murderer, Brooke, the illegitimate daughter of an immigrant maid, struggles to conceal her identity and stay a jump ahead of the men she thinks want to kill her. When she meets Anthony, an attorney who believes in second chances, she has to decide whether to stop running and begin her life anew.

With historical detail and taut, modern storytelling, Erika Mailman writes a captivating novel about identity, choices, freedom, and murder. She offers readers a fresh perspective on a brutal American myth and explores the trials of immigrants seeking a better life while facing down fear and oppression, today and throughout history. Intelligent and detailed, THE MURDERER’S MAID is a gripping read from beginning to bloody conclusion.

ABOUT ERIKA MAILMAN:
Erika Mailman is the author of The Witch's Trinity, a San Francisco Chronicle Notable Book and Bram Stoker Award finalist, and Woman of Ill Fame, a Pushcart Press Editor's Book Award nominee. She's a Yaddo fellow and lives in Northern California with her family.

THE MURDERER’S MAID: A Lizzie Borden Novel
By Erika Mailman
Published by Bonhomie Press
Price: $25.00
5 ½ inches by 8 ½ inches, 398 pages
Hardcover (IBSN: 978-0997066449)
Publication date: October 2017
ErikaMailman

Re: My new novel The Murderer's Maid focuses on Bridget

Post by ErikaMailman »

The book cover didn't seem to load in the previous post. Let me try again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Good luck with your new novel.

I strongly feel that the only medium left when it comes to writing anything new and refreshing about the Borden case is in the field of fiction.

Everything that is known about the Borden case has been written about. The case has been conjectured to death, with every other writer thinking they have the elucidatory solution to the murders.

As yourself, I too like to read and write about the lives of those who lived long ago. My latest novel takes place in 1861. Much easier to dilute, digest, and discern characters and their dilemmas. People and circumstances today are so complicated.:smile:

:study:
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Thanks for your response! I can see we love the same era. I hope my novel brings a little something different to the Lizzie Borden narrative; we'll see! :) Many thanks.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Writing fiction about a real character in history is risky business. How far to stray, how accurate or how outlandish or bizarre? Some times it works, sometimes it does not. Take "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Haven't read it but those who I know who have love it.

In some cases one finds a fan-base niche but the book sells very little. If well promoted it may be tawdry and still sell well, while even receiving bad reviews. Fiction is in the mind of the beholder. The market can be very fickle. Though publishing has become much easier, pedaling our wares in today's market can appear to be almost impossible at times. If one has a very proficient publisher, that can make all the difference. Even with a bad book. Or if self-published and writing the great all American novel, makes no difference at all.

Being very familiar with the history of Lizzie Borden, writing about her, and living in Lizzie's home town in a apartment house once owned by lizzie, and abutting Mapplecorft, bla, bla, bla... I find that any radical twisting of the truth or remolding of Lizzie and her contemporaries risky business. Thus, it is no surprise that I found the movie (series) "Lizzie Borden Took an Ax trashy, boorish, and irksome.

So, I have stayed away from "Lizzie Fiction" even though I have written some myself. But as soon as I retire I will pull a couple of fictional accounts off my shelf and give them a read, if not an opportunity at redemption.

This being said, I still feel that the best channel in writing is fiction when it comes to the Borden case. Anything more is a rehash of what is already known. (with the exception of the Fall River Historical Society who still have unseen material to be published)

Further, I am always surprise how much little play new "Lizzie books" get here on the forum in the way of feed back, which tells me that apart from reading LizzieAndrewBorden.com almost no one reads books any longer.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

For sure, for sure :!: Forgot about this one :!: Perfect example of unadulterated fiction. Good or bad, how more extreme :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Hi! Yes, I was going to mention Christine's book to you when I saw your reference to Abraham Lincoln, but you're already on it! That was a fun read with, like my book, some stretches of historical facts (for instance, she has Bridget Sullivan with children--which gave me a jolt and made me go back and look at my sources again to ensure she died without issue). In my novel I tried very hard to keep to the facts except for when I invented--so what's real is real, and what's unreal is unreal, if that makes sense. I also have a contemporary story strand within the novel which gave me a lot of leeway to be inventive (my modern-day character visits the B&B). That's really cool you lived in an apartment once owned by Lizzie; you are very close to the case! Sad to think no one is reading fiction these days. My days hardly end without a book in my hands at some point. I held off on reading fictionalized Lizzie accounts until my book was in galleys so as not to unconsciously influence myself. I've read two now and am looking forward to working my way through the rest.
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

And P.S.....the delicious mention of materials from the FRHS....I'm so, so curious. I have seen a blog post about an unpublished photograph of the family (Andrew, Abby, two girls) that I would so much love to see someday. And how great would it be to don a pair of gloves and go through the contents of that attic bathtub?!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Erika:

Thanks for the reply:

The photograph you mention does not exist. There are no photos of any Borden family member together with another Borden member in the same photograph in existence. The only one that does exists is of Sarah Anthony Morse Borden, Lizzie's mother, holding baby Emma.

Some people get the photograph taken for the 1975 movie, The Legend of Lizzie Borden, mixed up thinking it is real.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

In the past several years there has been a downpour of lizzie based novels. Here's another. Due out soon. By the same author of Lizzie Borden Zombie Hunter. The hero in this one is Doc Bowen.

GO DOC BOWEN :!: :cheers:

ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Re the photo, it was something I saw on Faye's blog so definitely legit. I just spent a while trying to track down the mention (without success); it'd be wonderful if she put a search widget on her site.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Erika:

I believe you. You could have definitely seen something similar. That blog is well known for being creative with photographic manipulation... for fun, you understand. If the gerrymandering of the photo is well done, it could be misinterpreted.

But, I assure you that no such photo exists. But if you can display it, and it is indeed real, I would be happy to place my neck on the chopping block and admit my ignorance.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And if you think it will stop raining in 2018... don't hold your breath. The downpour of Lizzie novels will continue... and that is a good thing. Below is another publication due out sometime in 2018. This one has Lizzie working at a B&B. Yep :!: That's what I said. It is the third book about the Borden girl to be issued with the title LIZZIE I say, keep them coming.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I do like the cover of your book Erika. Very elegant, tasteful, and pleasing. Classy, really. :smile:

I agonized over finding a cover for my book that I liked. In the end I designed one myself. With a little work and some great help from my publisher, we were able to come up with something simple.

But trying to come up with an original and refreshing cover for a Lizzie book can be challenging. To include blood, (?) an ax, (?) a photo of Lizzie's face, (?) lace material, etc, etc. Fun endeavor in any event. Of course, if you are writing about zombies and vampires the sky's the limit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

I hasten to mention, the photo was not displayed on Faye's blog. She talked about seeing it, and that someday others could maybe see it. Darn, I wish I could find the reference. I think she was writing about a visit with someone who had been connected with the family and had the photo that they didn't want to release to the public. Hm...maybe it had something to do with the Whiteheads. I'll try again to find the blog post.

Thank you for the compliments on the book cover. I love it too--I asked the designer to move her eyes from looking to the side to looking straight at the viewer: a subtle but vital difference that those who know Lizzie will recognize! Can you share your book cover here? I'd love to see it.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

That's funny, Erika:

I hadn't noticed the eye placement on the Lizzie image on your cover. I knew something was different. But I couldn't put my finger on it.

But now I can see it. Eerie, really. But a great job was done in enhancing the image, with the blue eyes, crease definition of the mouth between the lips and nose, the wispy hair along the ear, and the color. Great job. Very original.

InterestedReader

Post by InterestedReader »

I've seen reference to what sounds like the same photo? One of 'the Borden couple with both daughters'. Something about it still being unknown to the public. It is referred to somewhere & I read that only in the last couple of days but of course have no idea if it's truthful :smile:
InterestedReader

mbhenty wrote:
Further, I am always surprise how much little play new "Lizzie books" get here on the forum in the way of feed back, which tells me that apart from reading LizzieAndrewBorden.com almost no one reads books any longer.
My sister phoned me up raving about See What I have Done, she thought it marvellous - and she didn't know of my interest in the subject. So we do have some book-readers here still.
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

I'm so relieved I wasn't the only one who had heard of this mysterious family photo! Phew! Thank you for chiming in. I'm curious to read See What I Have Done, too. I know the author sold many foreign rights, which is fantastic.
Michael, what a neat and elegant cover for your novel! Blood and flowers...very Baudelaire ;) I will love to read it when I catch up with my TBR (to be read) pile.
Thanks for the kind words, and I agree the designer did a great job enhancing the photo on the cover of The Murderer's Maid. He cut the image off so that it was possible to see her as a modern woman (no brooch, no hairstyle visible other than the wisps around the ears). I can only hope it's eye-catching. We'll find out in a few months. :)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Erika, your book sounds intriguing. I have put it on my ‘wish list’. Thank you for sharing that you asked the designer to move Lizzie’s eyes from looking to the side to looking straight at the viewer. Very nice.
ErikaMailman wrote:... Michael, what a neat and elegant cover for your novel! Blood and flowers...very Baudelaire ;) I will love to read it when I catch up with my TBR (to be read) pile. ...
I have always thought Michael’s book cover design is very clever. Did you also notice the shadow of a hatchet? The tip of the hatchet blade is right under the ‘P’ in the title word of Pin.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I have not heard about the unpublished photograph of the Borden family. I hope one of you will be able to find the article referring to that photo. I think it would be interesting to read. Just for fun I did a Google search for 'unpublished photograph of borden family', and was surprised to actually find the following one, which has a picture description of: The Borden Family Andrew Borden, Abby Borden sitting next to 5year old Lizzie Borden and Emma Borden standing next to her step-mother AbbyBorden:

Click on image to enlarge:
Borden Family Photo - NOT.png
Source: http://tinyurl.com/y9hw6f88

This same photo is also on Pinterest: http://tinyurl.com/y9c9d9kn

Sorry, but these people do not look anything like the Andrew J. Borden family to me. What do you think?
Last edited by twinsrwe on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Hilarious. Definitely not them in the portrait. Those in the know are being close-lipped about the photograph so all we can do is shrug.
No, I hadn't noticed the hatchet at the other end of the pin! Clever (or...cleaver?) ha ha ha
Thanks for putting my book on your wishlist, Twinsrwe! :)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile: I attended a lecture tonight about Lizzie Borden, given at Bristol Community College in Fall River and put on by the Fall River Historical Society. The subject matter was lizzie in print and movies. All sort of publications were mentioned and critiqued. Your book, Erika, was mentioned and described in good light by the speaker.... (from what little is known about it) along with Sarah Schmidt's book. Some other books and videos about the crime did not fair out very well, and rightfully so.
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Oh my goodness, I had no idea such an event was being held. I know my publisher sent a copy to the Fall River Historical Society; I hope it was received in time. Thank you for telling me my book was held in a good light by the speaker! I appreciate hearing that. Do you know the speaker's name? I'd like to send them a note. Thank you.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

ErikaMailman wrote:Hilarious. Definitely not them in the portrait. Those in the know are being close-lipped about the photograph so all we can do is shrug. …
I thought that family photo was pretty funny, too. The people in that portrait don’t come close to looking like any of the real Borden family members. As MB has pointed out in another thread, Lizzie’s name sells. As for the mysterious unpublished photograph of the Borden family, I don’t know why we are surprised that it is being kept hidden. There are a lot of mysterious things about the Borden murders, so this is just one more thing we can add to the already long list of mysteries.
ErikaMailman wrote: … No, I hadn't noticed the hatchet at the other end of the pin! Clever (or...cleaver?) ha ha ha …
:peanut19: Good one, Ericka!
ErikaMailman wrote:… Thanks for putting my book on your wishlist, Twinsrwe! :)
You’re welcome. :grin:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote::smile: I attended a lecture tonight about Lizzie Borden, given at Bristol Community College in Fall River and put on by the Fall River Historical Society. The subject matter was lizzie in print and movies. All sort of publications were mentioned and critiqued. Your book, Erika, was mentioned and described in good light by the speaker.... (from what little is known about it) along with Sarah Schmidt's book. Some other books and videos about the crime did not fair out very well, and rightfully so.
Thank you for sharing this information with us, Michael. :grin:

Ericka, I am thrilled for you! :lol:

I don’t want to take anything away from Ericka, here, but I am curious to know if the speaker happened to mention Ronald Bartle’s book, titled, Lizzie Borden and the Massachusetts Axe Murders? I also have his book on my wish list; it sounds like it would be a good read, since he was Deputy Chief Stipendiary Magistrate (now District Judge) for Inner London having also practiced as a barrister.

Here is the link to his book at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/y79a7rpa
InterestedReader

twinsrwe wrote:As for the mysterious unpublished photograph of the Borden family, I don’t know why we are surprised that it is being kept hidden. There are a lot of mysterious things about the Borden murders, so this is just one more thing we can add to the already long list of mysteries.
I think it would be weirder if one doesn't exist. Of Borden, second wife, and daughters. I'm very struck by how expensively Emma Borden is dressed in that early photo of her in the taffeta, by how expensively LIzzie is always dressed in the photos taken while her father was still alive. It looks as if Borden liked his daughters to be wearing the tangible proof of wealth on their backs and so it's highly probable they all somewhere sat for the photographer displaying that wealth together :smile: ...According to acid neighbours' gossip after the trial that business with the cheap dress-fabric had given very much the wrong impression - LIzzie was said to spend a fortune on clothes, on silks, and thought nothing of buying dress-trimmings 'at ten dollars the yard'. That, conservatively speaking, would be a hundred dollars' worth of trimming on the average dress. So I wouldn't be surprised if all three women were photographed together with Borden to show off the Money.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes Erika: The speaker was the administrator of this forum, Stefani Koorey.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins:

The lecturer did comment on the book but just gave a general description, and voiced the fact that she is yet to look it over, thus no review.

I have read a bit of it. (very little) It appears ok. But be prepared for errors. Just because you have an elevated degree in law doesn't make you and expert. There's one funny line in the book where the author tells us that he is sitting and looking at a series of lizzie photos. He describes the age of Lizzie in each one. The funny thing is, by his description I know that he is looking at photos from Edmund Pearson's book. Thus, one of the resources he probably used in his research.

As for errors: He gets Emma's birth date wrong. Mentions 1849 when Emma was born in 51. And he mentions Anna Borden who accompanied Lizzie to Europe and adds that she is "no relative". These are elementary facts. So how many other errors are there.

Ordering one on Amazon will just about take all of 30 dollars, once you include postage.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Michael, thank you for the information regarding Ronald Bartle’s book. I have also read a little bit from the 'Look inside' option on the Amazon website. (I haven't gotten all the through the pages that are available with that option, because the two times I attempted to read through it, I got pulled away from my PC. :sad: )

I agree with you; an elevated degree in law doesn't make anyone an expert. I do have to wonder how accurate the rest of the book is, if Mr. Bartle can't get basic information correct, such as the year Emma was born. :scratch:

I do know that I am going to purchase Erika's book first. and then Sarah Schmidt's book. :grin: By the time I get through these books, I will hopefully have a better idea if I want to purchase Ronald Bartle’s book, or not. We'll see.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I have been collecting books for 40 years or so. Recently, I have sold quite a bit of my collection, but that being said, continue to collect new stuff.

One item that came in just today was a volume called THE NEW PACIFIC. The book is a political and historical look at the entire Pacific Ocean and the islands and countries that border it. Printed in 1900 it is very dated and of little use today. But the reason why I purchase it was for the cover. Margaret Armstrong designed the cover art. Margaret was a book illustrator and cover designer. She was also an author. She was born 7 years after Lizzie Borden and died one year before WWII ended. She was famous for her Art Nouveau style. Her designs were used by famous authors in her day.

Thus the reason I purchased the book was for the Margaret Armstrong cover.

Unlike someone who judges a book by its cover, I collect books for their covers. So a book cover means a lot to me and getting it right is an art form.

Below are two books with the same 'image of Lizzie' but with very little in common. One is factual and one is fiction. Though Mr. Bratle's book is nicely done, it doesn't speak to you. But that's ok. It's not fiction. With fiction one must be much more crafty, should I add, canny, leaving us lured and curious to what it's about. If it's about murder, it must contain mystery, and in some respect, speak to the book's title... in an informal way.

When it comes to Lizzie Borden it is difficult to come up with an image of Lizzie that is new. Erika's book cover does that. Makes you want to pick it off the shelf an thumb through it. It is simple and evasive, and somewhat enigmatic... especially Lizzie's expression. There's more to Lizzie here than I already know... something new. You can see it in her eyes. At least that is what I think it says to us.

Out of all the covers of books published about Lizzie in the past couple of years, The Murder's Maid, and Sarah's "See What I Have Done" are two examples of cover art done right.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Below is a site containing the cover book art of Margaret Armstrong, should anyone be interested. :smile:

http://www.rarebook.com/index.php/colle ... collection
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Whew, I missed a lot of posts during my quick trip out of town. Thanks for the wealth of information, the speaker's name, the interesting talk about book covers, and letting me know about the attorney's book--that should be fascinating to get a lawyer's perspective. I'd also love to see a psychiatrist write about Lizzie's behavior, incorporating what is today known about human behavior. Wouldn't that be amazing!!?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Though she is not a psychiatrist, Annette Hobla's book, "Lizzie Borden Took an Axe or Did She" is as close as it comes to a phycological study of Lizzie Borden. You sure may need a psychiatrist after reading her book. Very scholarly, and in more ways than one, beyond the average readers comprehension. A very deep read that may leave you baffled if not down-right impressed.

It's not for everyone, but from what little I read, it appears to be a very immersed study into Lizzie's phycological makeup. When I first purchased Annette's book I tried reading it casually, if not quickly. Not that sort of Book. So I put it down and have yet to go back to it to finish it. From what little I have read, I am unsure whether it was a profound examination of the character 'Lizzie Borden', or whether I was just eruditely lacking, or just a scholarly and specious approach that just doesn't work. Either way it is a challenging, complex, and unconventional read.

I met Ms. Hobla at one of her talks. She was charming, friendly, and easy to talk to. I liked her. On the other hand, her work on the case goes far beyond small talk.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's another cover I find alluring.

I love the statement above the girl's head. (Anyone is capable of anything) The real attraction here for me is the building and its open door. And a night scene no less. It appears that Ms Purdy uses real models for most of her books. That seems the case here. This cover is not as muted as Erika Mailman's cover. As "The Murderer's Maid" hints of mystery, "The Secret of Lizzie Borden" signals action.

But again, can we really judge a book by it's cover. Not really. But we can see the cover art for what it is and in many respects it stand by itself.

What is she looking at? The reader? Did someone just drop her off? And the house looks so threatening. Art work well done. I like it.

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tiny example of reviews of "The Secrets of Lizzie Borden" taken from Amazon. (click to make BIG)
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

It is fun to see all these covers! I love cover art and used to follow a book design blog where a designer would dissect jackets and talk about why they worked or didn't work. He stopped blogging a while ago but the archives would probably be fun to dig through if you enjoy that: http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

MB, thank you for posting the image of THE NEW PACIFIC by Hubert Howe Bancroft. The cover is very intriguing, and the art work is absolutely beautiful; it is very eye-catching. There is something written on the right and left side of the circle; all I can make sense of is: We were the first that ever burst ... ??? :scratch:

I also took a look at the site containing the cover book art of Margaret Armstrong. Wow, she really had a lot of beautiful designs. There were several covers which caught my eye, but I think the covers of Sonnets from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning and The Rossettis by Elizabeth Luther Cary, are two of my favorites. Thank you posting a link to that site.
Armstrong-025.jpg
Armstrong-047.jpg
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote:...
Unlike someone who judges a book by its cover, I collect books for their covers. So a book cover means a lot to me and getting it right is an art form.

Below are two books with the same 'image of Lizzie' but with very little in common. One is factual and one is fiction. Though Mr. Bratle's book is nicely done, it doesn't speak to you. But that's ok. It's not fiction. With fiction one must be much more crafty, should I add, canny, leaving us lured and curious to what it's about. If it's about murder, it must contain mystery, and in some respect, speak to the book's title... in an informal way.

When it comes to Lizzie Borden it is difficult to come up with an image of Lizzie that is new. Erika's book cover does that. Makes you want to pick it off the shelf an thumb through it. It is simple and evasive, and somewhat enigmatic... especially Lizzie's expression. There's more to Lizzie here than I already know... something new. You can see it in her eyes. At least that is what I think it says to us.

Out of all the covers of books published about Lizzie in the past couple of years, The Murder's Maid, and Sarah's "See What I Have Done" are two examples of cover art done right.

Interesting analysis of book covers! I see what you mean, and it does put another angle on ones consideration to purchase a book. Thank you!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

"We Were the First that ever Burst into that Silent Sea."

The Rossettis book you displayed is very interesting. I had the book many years ago, before I collected Margaret Armstrong and before I even knew who she was. I gave it as a tip to a young lady at a restaurant where I had coffee everyday. She was a mousy and timid college age girl, majoring in art and poetry. I thought she deserved it more than I did. But to be honest, I would like to have it back. :lol: :lol: :lol: It was a very nice copy.

Armstrong used the same cover, in some cases, for multiple titles. Below is a title I would love to have. The life and works of William Morris. It's on eBay as we speak. A little pricy, as these things usually are. But it's in nice condition. Same cover as the Rossettis but a little more scarce title.

Collecting cover art is just a small portion of my book collection. And I don't collect dust jackets. Most of the ones I do are 19 century decorative cloth, such as my Robinson Crusoe collection below. All the same title. Different editions, publishers, and years. Sure you have seen it before.

(click to make BIG)

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:oops: Sorry Erika.... did not mean to hijack your thread :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's what happens here on the forum at times. People and topics stray. :-?

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote::smile:

"We Were the First that ever Burst into that Silent Sea." ...
Thank you, MB! :grin:
mbhenty wrote: ... The Rossettis book you displayed is very interesting. I had the book many years ago, before I collected Margaret Armstrong and before I even knew who she was. I gave it as a tip to a young lady at a restaurant where I had coffee everyday. She was a mousy and timid college age girl, majoring in art and poetry. I thought she deserved it more than I did. But to be honest, I would like to have it back. :lol: :lol: :lol: It was a very nice copy.

Armstrong used the same cover, in some cases, for multiple titles. Below is a title I would love to have. The life and works of William Morris. It's on eBay as we speak. A little pricy, as these things usually are. But it's in nice condition. Same cover as the Rossettis but a little more scarce title.

Collecting cover art is just a small portion of my book collection. And I don't collect dust jackets. Most of the ones I do are 19 century decorative cloth, such as my Robinson Crusoe collection below. All the same title. Different editions, publishers, and years. Sure you have seen it before.

(click to make BIG)

I noticed that Margaret Armstrong used the same design for multiple titles. I don't blame her, some of her designs are just so outstandingly beautiful.

You have an awesome collection of books, MB, and I can see why we wanted the decorative cloth dust jackets, that are on your Robinson Crusoe collection. :grin:
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

mbhenty wrote:.

:oops: Sorry Erika.... did not mean to hijack your thread :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's what happens here on the forum at times. People and topics stray. :-?

I am also sorry for hijacking your thread, Erika - well, sort of sorry, that is. We may stray from time to time, but we are easily put back on track. I hope we haven't offended you in any way.
Last edited by twinsrwe on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

I do want to reply to the following post that InterestedReader submitted, before this thread went off track:
InterestedReader wrote:… I'm very struck by how expensively Emma Borden is dressed in that early photo of her in the taffeta, by how expensively LIzzie is always dressed in the photos taken while her father was still alive. It looks as if Borden liked his daughters to be wearing the tangible proof of wealth on their backs and so it's highly probable they all somewhere sat for the photographer displaying that wealth together :smile: ...According to acid neighbours' gossip after the trial that business with the cheap dress-fabric had given very much the wrong impression - LIzzie was said to spend a fortune on clothes, on silks, and thought nothing of buying dress-trimmings 'at ten dollars the yard'. That, conservatively speaking, would be a hundred dollars' worth of trimming on the average dress. So I wouldn't be surprised if all three women were photographed together with Borden to show off the Money.
I don’t know as though it was Andrew who liked having his daughters display the family wealth by wearing expensive dresses, as much as it was his wife. According to the Find-A-Grave web site, Emma was 9 years old in the photo of her wearing the taffeta dress, which means the photo was taken in 1860, the year Lizzie was born: http://tinyurl.com/ycgcvquw If Emma was in fact 9 years old in that photo, then it would have been Sarah who would have picked out the taffeta material, or approved of Emma getting the material, for a dress.

I can see a family portrait being taken when Sarah was still alive, but I really have a hard time visualizing a portrait of the family being taken once Abby became Andrew’s wife, especially once the girls became adults.

I hope you or Ericka are able to location the article that mentions the family portrait. If such a portrait exist, then I will have to eat crow. :sad:
Last edited by twinsrwe on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

To get back to Erika's book...

Someone I know who had seen the cover of The Murderer's Maid had asked me why it's called The Murderer's Maid and instead place Lizzie on the cover in place of Bridget.

Not an issue. But I can see why the question was asked.

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

For sure, I can also see why that question was asked.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Ericka, I remember seeing your name prior to you joining the forum, so I did a Google search and sure enough, I came across your blog, which is where I had seen your name. ( http://tinyurl.com/ych583b7 ) What a great blog you have! I am impressed with all of the information you have on Lizzie Borden, as well as the vast amount of other topics, which I had to check out.

I also had to check out your official website: http://tinyurl.com/yak8kb7j
Last edited by twinsrwe on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
InterestedReader

twinsrwe wrote:I do want to reply to the following post that InterestedReader submitted, before this thread went off track:
InterestedReader wrote:… I'm very struck by how expensively Emma Borden is dressed in that early photo of her in the taffeta, by how expensively LIzzie is always dressed in the photos taken while her father was still alive. It looks as if Borden liked his daughters to be wearing the tangible proof of wealth on their backs and so it's highly probable they all somewhere sat for the photographer displaying that wealth together :smile: ...According to acid neighbours' gossip after the trial that business with the cheap dress-fabric had given very much the wrong impression - LIzzie was said to spend a fortune on clothes, on silks, and thought nothing of buying dress-trimmings 'at ten dollars the yard'. That, conservatively speaking, would be a hundred dollars' worth of trimming on the average dress. So I wouldn't be surprised if all three women were photographed together with Borden to show off the Money.
I don’t know as though it was Andrew who liked having his daughters display the family wealth by wearing expensive dresses, as much as it was his wife. According to the Find-A-Grave web site, Emma was 9 years old in the photo of her wearing the taffeta dress, which means the photo was taken in 1860, the year Lizzie was born: http://tinyurl.com/ycgcvquw If Emma was in fact 9 years old in that photo, then it would have been Sarah who would have picked out the taffeta material, or approved of Emma getting the material, for a dress.
You posted earlier that this image dates to 1866-68 when Emma attended Wheaton.

I wouldn't myself date an image from information on Findagrave. A more reliable means is to evaluate the era, which is to say the method of the photography and above all, date by costume history. In any case, do we think Emma looks 9 years old in this one?

Her mother Sarah was a dressmaker. So yes, she probably had quite an input. But I'd suggest Sarah is already dead when this Emma photo is taken, and the new marriage had begun. Also, there are reasons why Abby would have had the same, if not a greater influence over her step-children's clothing.
twinsrwe wrote:I can see a family portrait being taken when Sarah was still alive, but I really have a hard time visualizing a portrait of the family being taken once Abby became Andrew’s wife, especially once the girls became adults.
It's very interesting this. Why? Why do people believe Abby wouldn't merit a photo? My goodness, Abby gets a bad press. How do we know she wasn't really attractive in 1865? :grin:
Or is the idea that she was already too much the target of her stepchildrens' animosity?
twinsrwe wrote:I hope you or Ericka are able to location the article that mentions the family portrait. If such a portrait exist, then I will have to eat crow. :sad:
I went into my History! To try and help Erika. I found I'd hit just one page on that website when searching around for something... one page, and I couldn't find the dratted thing. I don't know what Erika thinks but I know I read it and I'm suspecting it's been removed.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

It all derives from the way the press chronicled their perception of Abby at the time, whether from perceived eye witnesses or ill regarded neighbor and family accounts. She has always been portrayed as unsightly.

And Andrew as mean and an old cheap old miser.

These renditions have plagues these two slaughtered people over the decades as writer after writer repeated what they researched off each other.

Of course, by the time it got to Hollywood, and the hands of some fiction writers, Andrew was a rapist and Abby a useless fat cow who deserved everything she got.

Measuring the temperament and nature of the senior Borden's by their relationship with their daughters does not make it so. Except when it comes to what the common pedestrian wants to believe. That the world is flat and the solar system revolves around our planet.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Erika:

A short voyage on the Freda B. looked like good fun.

Of course their fees are pricy, especially when there's very little history of note connected to the vessel. I wonder how the prices compare to the windjammers of Maine. Though the coast of Maine is not San Francisco Bay, the water's are just about as cold.

None-the-less, great time was had, I'm sure.

I love sailing. It's in my blood. Probably because my ancestors came from an island.

When I first took possession of my sailboat 'Saudades" and renamed her, I almost called her the Lizzie B. Then I thought better.... or perhaps different. Below is a photo of my S/V. Went out for my first sail of the season just this week. Working 7 days a week leaves me little time to sail. Must change that.