What's happening on August 4th in Fall River?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Oscar

What's happening on August 4th in Fall River?

Post by Oscar »

I was wondering what events, if any, were planned to take place in Fall River on August 4th? I understand that the B&B have done re-enactments in past years. Are there other observations taking place too?
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Umm, well, I might stop by the FRHS (we'll be on our way back from a few days in Provincetown, and we usually stop in Fall River) and take the tour (I'm a member, so it's free!).
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

On August 9th, at 6:30Pm, I will be giving a talk at the Fall River Public Library on Lizzie Borden in Popular Culture. Admission is free, but seating is limited. The address is 104 N. Main Street.

Call the Lizzie Borden B&B! Their phone is: 508-675-7333. They always do reenactments. But I don't know about the schedule.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Friday, August 4, 2006

Lizzie Borden Museum Annual Re-enactment

Description: Did she or didn’t she? For over a century many have debated whether Lizzie Borden

actually killed her parents. On the anniversary of the crime, take in a re-enactment and see for

yourself.

Admission: A Charge

Phone: For more information (508) 675-7333

Source: http://www.bristol-county.org/calendar/cal_august.html

Check out some of the festivals in the area on the same weekend!
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

all i can say is that i'm sorry i will have to miss it this year due to issues beyond my control.

i am determined to make a more thorough examinaton of 92 second street when i can -- that could be this fall or later -- but i have some ideas about creative approaches i won't forget about.

i said last year i would not miss stefani's next lecture there, but i hereby eat my words.

i hope everyone attending will get a lot out of it -- i'm sure it's there for anyone paying attention.
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

I've known for a couple of months that Stef was going to be up there the week after the anniversary, and I'm still bummed, especially as we all had such a good time meeting up last year, and checking out Len's archives.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Bill Pavao & Bob G. at Len's August, 2005.
We miss you too, Bob!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keim

Post by keim »

That is a great shirt!
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Gals and guys, I'm back! Jay and Mick and I stopped by The House last Friday afternoon, about 3:30. We parked in back (!) and went right in to the "barn" and chatted with Lee Anne and her partner. They persuaded us to take the last reenactment tour, and we did. The actual tour guide, a young man, had to leave, so Mrs. Thibault, who had been playing Addie Churchill, served double duty. Her husband Ed, he of the fiberglas skulls (see HASH & REHASH) was Andrew, and a very, very good young actress portrayed Bridget, and there was a wonderful Abby. I will have some pix of the recreated Abby death scene for you soon. Everyone invoved was fine, actually, even if Lizzie did come into the kitchen and announce that she was going to have "cookies and TEA." And the lass playing the Kelly's girl, who took over the second half of the tour, should be told that Abby was not struck in the middle of the forehead as she faced her killer. Anyway, it was all a hoot, and the house looks fantastic, now that light is streaming into the sitting room the way it should.

In fact, it hit me that when I was peering through the door to see the ruined face of "Andrew," and when I was standing over "Abby," it must have been very much as it was in 1892, since it's only the old photos which make the light loook murky.

After bidding everyone farewell and congratulating Lee Anne on the appearance of the house, we drove up to The Historical Society, which was just about to close. I chatted with Dennis, who told me of the book he and Michael are writing while the Hilliard project is on hold; a social history of Fall River with the Borden case as its center. As they closed down the gift shop, I asked if I could show Jay and Mick the Borden Room, and Dennis answered, "Sure - you know that the light's behind the door, right?"

So, I took Jay and Mick on a very quick tour of the Borden exhibits, feeling like an honorary guide - I was in heaven, Fall River style.

Oh, I got that neat t-shirt when I saw the LIZZIE BORDEN musical in Stoneham, Mass a while back.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks Bob! So it was YOUR sneakers stealthily returning which I saw from under the bed! I had quite a time of it, not being caught "resurrecting" too soon and came to know the carpet well. Young Ben was Mr. Cunningham this year again, we had a new Lizzie in Dee who is a day manager and looked great with auburn hair, new guide Kathleen who boasts Irish heritage was fabulous as Bridget, Ed Thibault is the Immortal Andrew, and I was glad to retire my hatchet 2 years ago as pulling off Lizzie B aged 32 at 52 was getting tough to do!/ "Abby"
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh we missed Ben! Please tell him Hello! Thanks!
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Shelley, I don't think we've EVER properly introduced, do you know? I did peer at you from the other side of the bed, and I had my friend Mick take three photos of you as poor, dead Mrs. B., one of which I'm also in. At some point I'll be able to post the pix.

I'm sending you a big hug, 'cause I've been hearing your name ALL these years and there you were right in front of me when I came back into the house to compliment you on your performance, and I didn't put two and two together! I feel a fool!

I LOVE Richard Matheson!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Three photos? Wow- and you got my BEST angle-prone flat on my face and fanny up! Thanks for the hug- "Come up and see me sometime". I would continue further with Mae West and say "Peel me a pear" under the circumstances! Nice to meet you too, even though we didn't know it!