Maplecroft Floor Plan

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Maplecroft Floor Plan

Post by Shelley »

When I first visited Maplecroft, August 4th 1992, I made a sketch of the interior immediately in my car when I exited. I have improved the sketch somewhat and this is, as I can recall after 5 visits there, the last in 2003, pretty close to the interior floor plan. I will never be convinced that Lizzie had two bedrooms. The front second floor room has 2 French doors with glass in them, and a layout of a reception room. This was very popular in Europe to have a special "lounge" upstairs for intimate visitors. I do believe Lizzie may have had a "daybed" in there to lounge upon, I can easily picture a pair of facing settees in front of the Starry night hearth. I have seen one newspaper article referring to it as a reception room.

Her bedroom built over the porch is a funny affair, with angles reflecting the porch, and an odd-shaped landing outside the door. You must go down from the corridor of the main house, to a landing, then into Lizzie's bedroom-this was hard to sketch. The library still has the embossed gilt molding (24 carat gold leaf) which is now covered over in paint. The library has floor to ceiling bookshelves-the books are in a room to themselves entered into via a pair of French doors from the At Hame In My Ain Countrie mantel sitting room-lovely space.

FIRST FLOOR
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Shoot- I neglected to put in the salamander firescreen and fireplace in Lizzie's bedroom- it is in the top left- hand side of the room (you see where that chimney is located.)
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

:grin: Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

A thousand blessings upon you & those who follow after you!

I have been waiting for years to see this!

I'm pleased that this is more or less how I pictured it, altho I thought what is the 2nd floor reception room would have been her bedroom.

Emma really did get a bad deal when it came to personal space!

Is the breakfast nook at all built-in (as in example below)? You have it as "counter", so does that mean as in a soda fountain at a drug store? It looks more like a pantry layout.

Also, does the "powder room" next to the built-in bench in the reception hall look contemporary to Lizzie's time, or do you think this was a later convenience added by subsequent owners?

Oh boy...Now I can dream up my fantasies of restoration even more! Woo-hoo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Sorry I am not a better artist. That "counter " looking thing with the icebox is like a long narrow space adjacent to the porch-it is NOT in the actual breakfast nook. (see the wall?) There was a window where the iceman could push blocks of ice through that chute which landed on that high counter which is of course why the icebox is so handy to it. And he could do so without needing entry into the kitchen. There are great "built-ins" and clever conveniences thought out in this house. It may not be a lavish mansion, but it is a very well-thought out place as far as practical living every day. And creature comforts!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

That front second floor reception room is, I understand, where Lizzie was laid out prior to her burial. I can picture this perhaps in front of the mantel, with Lizzie's face looking towards those two French doors.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Many of us Bordenites have been waiting a lifetime for something like this Shelley. A million blessings upon you for posting your sketches. Very different from what I had imagined. I can Never thank you enough for this gift.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I had no idea! I know there have been sketches of the floorplan around for years. You are quite welcome. I am sure Mr. Dube would not care about a sketch being made public. I neglected also to mention that the bookshelves are on the wall opposite the French doors.

There is a thread here called Maplecroft Exteriors so you can print out the floorplan and compare it to the photos and line up the windows that way from the sketches. Needless to say, the walnut mantel in the reading room is the At Hame in My Ain Countrie mantel- which -halleluia is STILL there! as well as the beautiful diningroom mantelpiece.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Sorry, Shelley---I think we crossed posts when I was editing my 1st one.

I'll repeat my question: Does the "powder room" next to the built-in bench in the reception hall look contemporary to Lizzie's time, or do you think this was a later convenience added by subsequent owners?

Thanks!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I never went into the powder room, it is tucked beneath the big staircase. It has a sink in it I know. I would think it had been a coat closet in Lizzie's day- many older homes have this set-up with the beneath the stairs little room being converted into a tiny half-bath. I cannot imagine Lizzie being comfortable with a toilet and sink in her main entry!
That bench was there though for Lizzie to take off her galoshes and toast her tootsies by the fire. It is a built in right by the newel post.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Lizzie's bedroom over the porch...do you think she had got a touch of claustrophobia after her stint in the Taunton jail? That's how it has struck me.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thank you so much, Shelley! I've been curious as to the layout of Maplecroft for years, trying to piece it together with the few pics I've seen of the interior and the exterior window placement. I seem to recall that you had said that you didn't get to go on the third floor/attic space, but, did you ever get to go into the basement? If so, was it as finished as one author had it, including a billiards room? Thanks again, that is to cool! :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I never went to the third floor, but a friend of mine recently did and said it was just a lot of chopped up rooms-none too large. There is a billiards table on the the third floor. I forgot to ask if there were a bathroom. I would bet Lizzie did put one in for her servants who lived up there.

No, nobody I ever met has gone into the cellar. That is supposed to be where things like that mantel are stored. Her tub, sconces and stained glass from the library window are supposed to be either there or in the garage. I have also heard all of these have been sold.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Chopped up- OH NO!! Did I just write that! :shock:
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

LOL Shelley! I guess Lizzie couldn't break her "chopping" habit :lol:
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I discovered something else that confuses me (what else is new? :grin: )

I always thought the bathroom near Lizzie's "summer bedroom" was part of the extention she put on the back of the house. I assumed there were two bathrooms on the second floor.

Mike Dube said---

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Archi ... ecroft.htm

The house has "3 full baths and 2 half baths"

So, assuming there is the powder room on the main floor, that would be one 1/2 bath.

Where then would the two other "full baths" & the 2nd "1/2 bath" be?

If the bathroom shown was built with the extension & there is no other bathroom on the 2nd floor---would that mean the house had no bathrooms when Lizzie & Emma moved in? I somehow doubt that.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I would bet there is a full bath for servants on the third floor. Yes, the bedroom was an extension she had added on and the contours match the porch below. The addition does not go all the way up to the third floor. You can see the third floor window above in the center of the addition. Okay- am straining my brain here... I recall going IN Lizzie's bedroom, the fireplace (which you need to add to that sketch) with the salamander screen is on the left side back wall sort of catty-cornered. I am now thinking there was a private bath for her off to the left which held her famous hand-painted tub. I will dig out the notes again after the weekend is over. Still, I can only acount for 3 1/2 baths. We will sort it out after the 4th!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thanks, Shelley!

I seem to remember Mike Dube mentioning something about a "master bedroom" that had an ensuite with "cool" tile work. No idea what he would consider to be the master bedroom, but he said his room when he lived there was "Lizzie's summer bedroom" (so that would not be it). There doesn't seem to be an "ensuite" in your floor plans. Unfortunately, he does not mention it on the thread I posted, but there was more than one thread he was posting to at the time & I have yet to find it in the archives.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Sorry, I will ask Len, I know he has seen her bathtub, and has also been in Maplecroft. He may recall about the baths. I was so google-eyed at that back bedroom and the fireplace I was too awed to make note of where that tub room was in relationship to her room and I would rather not put it down unless I am sure.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Shelley. Yes, I imagine the third floor at Maplecroft to be much like #92's attic, small serviceable rooms under the eaves meant for servants and storage. I wonder if that billiards table on the third floor is Lizzie's; that one that was allegedly in the cellar at some point in time?
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Angel

Post by Angel »

Shelley @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:11 pm wrote: I was so google-eyed at that back bedroom and the fireplace I was too awed to make note of where that tub room was in relationship to her room and I would rather not put it down unless I am sure.
Shelly- you said you were awed by what you saw. Were you feeling that way because you had the chance to actually get inside the house, or because it really was that grand? I look at the outside pictures of the house and see that it is large, but it doesn't grab me like some of the beauties that are in the town. I have always wondered how lavish it was on the inside.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

OH, it is not grand at all. The rooms are boxy, fairly plain. The glory of Maplecroft is in the WOOD.. Beautiful wood everywhere. There is nothing ornate- no "gingerbread"- a very tailored, neat, almost masculine feel to the interiors. The workmanship is excellent- built-ins, carving, finish carpentry. And the mantels are noteworthy. I was justy googly to be in Lizzie's bedroom and seeing that salamander for the first time on the firescreen on the hearth. The mind is always trying to make a memory in that house.
Angel

Post by Angel »

It's interesting that if it was so important to her to live up on the hill with society that she didn't go wild in choosing the house once she had the chance. Of course, she probably had to take her sister's taste into consideration too when they chose the house, so she would have had to compromise.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Many moons ago, before Shelley’s great floor plans, I was doing research & trying to envision Maplecroft interiors. I picked up a book, Late Victorian Houses & Cottages (1999, Dover Publications). This is kind of a misnamed book, because there’s maybe 1 house in it I might call a “cottage”, & that one only because it doesn’t have a bathroom. Originally this book was Modern Homes 1897 by The Century Architectural Co. of Cleveland, Ohio. A bit like Sears & Roebuck, these were house plans with building instructions you could purchase without the expense of hiring your own architect.

Eg. A-1 (below, as always, click to enlarge) comes the closest to the floor plan of Maplecroft. Reception halls were a big deal at the time, with a lot of space used for the purpose of callers waiting while a servant announced them. This one has a fireplace as well as a lavatory. Altho the “lav” here is just a sink, many of the designs include a sink & toilet (1/2 bath, powder room). Coat closets in these reception halls are relatively rare (I assume a servant disappeared with coats elsewhere). So, I was excited Shelley included a “powder room” on her plan & wondered if it was original, because it would not have been unusual for the period.

There is a butler’s pantry between the kitchen & dining room. This area, plus the conservatory, seems to correspond to Lizzie’s breakfast room. It’s possible Lizzie rejected the formal Victorian butler’s pantry in favour of the more laid-back arts & crafts style breakfast nook.

On the 2nd floor (EgA-2), & in many floor plans from the 1897 book, the main bath is centrally located. This, along with Mike Dube’s descriptions, led me to believe there was a centrally located full bath on the 2nd floor along with the additional full bath at the back (possibly part of Lizzie’s addition).

Eg. B shows a slightly larger home. Lizzie with her library probably aspired to this kind of home. In this one, not only do we have a reception hall with built-in seat and lav, but also a formal reception room. One imagines visitors had to graduate from room to room according to familiarity with their host---reception hall, reception room, then finally the formal parlour.

One thing I am curious about is pocket doors. Maplecroft doesn’t seem to have them. If you look closely at the 2 examples, you’ll see them. Eg A-1 has one between the reception hall & dining room. Eg B has them in just about all the “public” rooms. I wonder if Lizzie might have replaced them with the Italianate arches.

I am a complete Maplecroft junkie (no kidding! :wink: ). It’s a Queen Anne altered with arts & crafts features. To me, that’s must about perfection. Oh, how I’d love to restore that house!

It’s very hard for me to resign myself to the fact the current owner has no desire to explore, restore, & share the treasure he has. The process of restoration alone would be such a learning experience!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The best book I ever read about the whys of houses of this era was Death in the Diningroom by Ken Ames. It explains all about entry halls, dead birds, fruit and such in diningrooms, and anything else you want to know about Victorian houses.

I am not sure if that little powder room is original- there was no way for me to tell. It may just have contained a small lavette sink.
william

Post by william »

Shelley,

Thank you very much for those wonderful floor plans of Maplecroft.

The only problem is ......what are you going to do for an encore?
Whatever it is I'm sure it will be great and I am looking forward to it!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Ditto. Shelley, you're too cool for words!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Tina-Kate @ Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:07 pm wrote:Thanks, Shelley!

I seem to remember Mike Dube mentioning something about a "master bedroom" that had an ensuite with "cool" tile work. No idea what he would consider to be the master bedroom, but he said his room when he lived there was "Lizzie's summer bedroom" (so that would not be it). There doesn't seem to be an "ensuite" in your floor plans. Unfortunately, he does not mention it on the thread I posted, but there was more than one thread he was posting to at the time & I have yet to find it in the archives.
Hi TK!
Here are some links I uncovered with reference to Mike Dube. Maybe one of these might help you on your search?

viewtopic.php?t=296&highlight=dubiousmike

viewtopic.php?t=857&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

viewtopic.php?t=177&start=0

viewtopic.php?t=2221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=25

viewtopic.php?t=1900&start=0

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Archi ... FRTour.htm
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thanks Kat, tho none of those were the one.

The one I'm looking for I think was called "Movin' On Up" & was started by either Harry or William. It was not on this forum, but the one previous to it.

The archives search won't allow me to find the thread by its name. I generally find things if I can recall a key word that was used in the thread.

So far, no luck.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I spoke to a friend who saw Maplecroft about 10 weeks ago to confirm that YES, there is indeed another 2nd floor bathroom. It is ensuite to Lizzie's room over the porch. I thought I had remembered going inside her room and looking hard left at a bathroom. I will modify the floor plan to include that and also put the fireplace in that room which I had forgotten to add.
Kat

Post by Kat »

There's a newspaper photo with that bathroom in it, isn't there?
I posted the article a while back.
I was getting confused about that because it's on here somewhere, but there's still a bathroom missing?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm sorry. I haven't found the topic yet.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Tina-Kate @ Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:50 am wrote:Thanks Kat, tho none of those were the one.

The one I'm looking for I think was called "Movin' On Up" & was started by either Harry or William. It was not on this forum, but the one previous to it.

The archives search won't allow me to find the thread by its name. I generally find things if I can recall a key word that was used in the thread.

So far, no luck.
I searched the archive with the term dubiousmike and got this too:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Archi ... rovert.htm
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Two full baths on the second floor (including Lizzie's famous tub in her private ensuite), no doubt a servant bathroom on the third floor, a half-bath under the front staircase. So- we are just missing one half-bath somewhere. Always good to have one mystery!
Kat

Post by Kat »

So it's a half bath you're missing?

Here, in the meantime, is the Herald News picture of the summer bedroom, taken probably c. 1980 when the house was for sale.
There is the bathtub there to the far left of the photo.

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yep- that's the one. Too bad the photo is too dark to show the raised hearth very well-that is the one with the salamander screen. Actually, the room is not huge.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Where is the hearth pictured here?
Yes it's very dark. I got it from the FRHS, but I've seen worse copies! :smile:

Oooo while I was typing this a screech owl just screamed outside my window! :shock:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Look in that corner- that big, dark squarish area is a small raised-hearth fireplace. I have sceen the firescreen on it. It sits a little angled in that Northwest corner. You can see its chimney on the outside.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh. Is there like a hassock in front of it - striped?
Yes I now recall the stone pile-up outside that is a chimney.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, that is a footstool in front of the hearth. You get a better idea when you see the other side of that fireplace- the chimney on the outside.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

You can clearly see the windows each side of the chimney and to the right of that tree trunk you can see the small bathroom window which would be over the tub- naturally it had to be smaller in length for privacy's sake lest the Swifts get a gander at more of Lizzie than was seemly! :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you.
I'd never had known that blackness behind the striped thingy was a fireplace!
We've stood and looked at that first view of the cobbled chimney (from the "Swift" house side yard) but I hadn't put it together in my head. :smile:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

That's brilliant, thanks!

Over my week off, I more or less figured it out. I remembered having seen that pic of the view to Lizzie's bathroom from her "summer bedroom" & having heard mention of that being an ensuite. I was looking at exteriors of the house & figured that Shelley had the main bathroom in the correct place. (Shelley's floor plan is only missing Lizzie's ensuite bathroom). If Emma's bedroom was in that western "bay", you can see there is another good sized room to the north of it. It would make sense for Lizzie to put her ensuite up against the main bathroom, making it easier for the plumbing to connect to the existing lines.

BTW, Shelley, I was doing a little project while I was off, hoping to get some Titanic tidbits for you...

One of the houses I was looking at here in town (I went on a little jaunt checking out arts & crafts houses on the local historical register) had a legend that it was built for a family from England that was moving over here to Canada---however, they unfortunately chose to come over via the Titanic. Of course, they never occupied the house.

What I could not figure out, however, was that the records stated the house was built in 1912 & a report that said the family perished aboard the Titanic in 1914(!?!) Something was definitely WRONG. Of course, Titanic went down in April of 1912! I checked the Titanic passenger list & could not find them. Then, it came to me to check out the lists for Lusitania. Sure enough, there was the man & his wife listed. So, the local legend is WRONG!

Makes me wonder if the story was altered because Titanic is more famous than Lusitania & thus "sexier". Drives me nuts, however, when history gets so twisted.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks for checking on that- what is the family's name and city? - I have both passenger lists and passenger bios. There are two known Lusitania survivors, one in Connecticut who I visit from time to time. She was aged 3 but does recall some things.

Yes, I was fairly certain the plumbing on the second floor was back to back in the bathrooms and I am currently making a cleaner copy of the floorplan with better labels. It occurs to me that maybe that missing half-bath might be in the back of the house on the first floor maybe directly beneath the second floor plumbing lines and off the kitchen or even in the cellar? That second half-bath may not even be there now. I expect Emma tootled down the hall to use that loo outside Lizzie's room. :lol:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Their names were Mr & Mrs Copping---they had planned to settle here in Peterborough Ontario. The house Mr Copping built is just lovely!

BTW---My surname is Rouse. On Titanic, in steerage, there is a Richard H. Rouse listed. My parents are British (& live there). We do not know if Richard was a relation---my dad was adopted & raised with the name Evans. His birth mother was Rouse & he had to take her name when he went into the British army.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh yes- I know the Rouse story- here is a link to more info about him, his body was not recovered. http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/1172/
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

COPPING, Mr. George Robert

British
Toronto, On., Canada

COPPING, Mrs. George Robert (Emma Louisa)
Toronto, Canada. His body was recovered and identified; hers was not. Per The New York Times, Wednesday, May 26, 1915, page 4, his body was returned to New York City on Monday, May 31, 1915, on board the Lapland.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Oooh, thanks for that info, Shelley!

Rouse is far more common a surname in the US than here in Canada. My parents both came to Canada in the 50s (& moved back to England in the 90s). Unfortunately, we have next to no info on my father's origins at all. He was born in the 1920s with no father listed on his birth certificate. Of course, his adoptive parents, if they knew anything, never told him any info.

My dad & I both write---we both wrote stories in which people went down on the Titanic---& then around 2003 or so, I came across the Titanic passenger list & found our relatively rare surname. So, we kind of wonder...

Thanks also re Copping info---interesting they are listed as "Toronto". Basically, Peterborough is to Toronto as Fall River is to Boston.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, it has been so rewarding for the past 30 years meeting Titanic people and their families. I went up to Milo Maine last summer to speak with a granddaughter of Rev. Kirkland who was on Titanic, only to learn his brother who was also a minister died on Lusitania. I have some stories on my Titanic site, Journeys in Time http:// www.revdma2.com and I do a website for Titanic International which also has a daily blog at www.titanicinternationalsociety.org

It's good to have a hobby- or two or three! :lol:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley---

To update from my personal tour of craftsman houses in town last summer, here is a picture of the Copping house.

Also, a link to this article with the correct info re Mr & Mrs Copping---

http://www.peterboroughexaminer.com/Art ... x?e=914757
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893