The Borden Case in Popular Culture

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Bob Gutowski

The Borden Case in Popular Culture

Post by Bob Gutowski »

This is only about something that mildly reminded me of the case, but last night I saw an episode of the old "Thriller" TV series, which had as its host Boris Karloff. The episode was entitled "Pigeons From Hell," from a story by Robert E. Howard (the neurotic creator of "Conan the Barbarian").

Why I'm posting about it is that, to begin with, a young man is murdered with hatchet blows to the head (he becomes a zombie, and wanders around with said hatchet, trying to kill his brother). The haunted old mansion they're in was owned by a Miss Elizabeth, whose last name began with a "B." She supposedly drove her sisters away from the house.

That's as far as it went, but it tickled me, nonetheless!
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Bob! I used to love that show! Is it shown on something nationwide, or just your corner station? I have a terrible feeling from your description that it doesn't hold up, but it still would be fun to see again. Besides, when it comes to horror, sometimes worse is more. :lol: I love their zombie take on the Borden case. Maybe Bill Borden was a zombie. That would explain so much!

--Lyddie
Susan

Post by Susan »

That sounds cool, Bob, I loved the Thriller series. Do they still have the beginning animation of the hand coming out of the swamp eating the word "Thriller"?

I found something interesting that was on the old Friday The 13th TV series, wonder if its in reruns anywhere? Its a show entitled Was Magic:

Ryan literally runs into an attractive and polite but timid and mysterious young woman at a carnival. Her name is Marie and she works as a ticket seller at a wax museum that her husband Aldwin Chase operates. Marie suffers from unusual migrane headaches, sometimes so severe that she passes out. When she comes to, she has terrifying visions of horrific murders done in the style of the 19th century infamous axe-wielding killer Lizzie Borden. Victims are carnival patrons who were decapitated in the parking lot. Moreover, Marie wakes up to learn that these visions are, in fact, very real and took place just hours earlier.

From this site: http://johndlemay.sphosting.com/Friday1 ... useum.html
Kat

Lizzie in Popular Culture

Post by Kat »

Bob G. keeps starting this topic and it proves to be very popular. It just might have been the largest thread in Lizzie history! (See archive).
Recently, last March, I knew I was going to miss CSI-MIAMI and I had just figured out finally how to tape off my newish TV. I taped the show and when I watched it later, boy was I surprised! And the fact that I had VCR capability and could pause the tape to take a picture and rewind and maneuver the tape so I could get all the dialogue was fortuitous!
The episode featured a crime-scene groupie, who collects *mementos* of famous crimes thru hook or by crook. His father was wealthy and so he indulged himself. He was really an endearing character and quite young. He had a sad ending.

Please click on picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Fifty Views and no comments? Do you all like Lizzie's "axe"?
Susan

Post by Susan »

:lol: I was trying to read what it said on the screen in red when I clicked on the picture, it started out big and then shrunk down and I couldn't read what it said there.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for letting me know!
Can you see & read this?

Bob Gutowski

How neat! Musical news

Post by Bob Gutowski »

It's wonderful that the show was that accurate, isn't it?

It was "Chiller Theater" which had the scary hand action; "Thriller" had Boris Karloff as host. The show's not currently in syndication, but was shown early on in the history of the Sci-Fi Channel, and the collector's DVD I got at the horror convention was taken from that.

Check this link to Playbill.com for an item on the casting of the upcoming production of LIZZIE BORDEN, the musical! I'll be seeing the final performance on Memorial Day weekend.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86006.html
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Kat, I can read it now! :lol: Did you photograph that off your television? Pretty cool.

Thanks, Bob, glad you knew that, I couldn't remember which show it was, I used to watch all of them, Chiller Theater, Thriller, Circle of Fear, Night Gallery and Creature Features. But, it was that darn hand that gave me as many nightmares as the shows themselves! :shock:
Bob Gutowski

In print

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Folks, the latest edition of RUE MORGUE, a Canadian horror magazine, has a one-page piece on the B&B, with photos of the guest and sitting rooms. Elsewhere in the magazine is an advance review of the new SALEM'S LOT mini-series, which I'm avidly awaiting (I'm going to be doing a comparison with the old mini-series for SCARLET STREET magazine), and even a glimpse of our friend Rick Geary's comic art treatment of some Poe!

Worth a look - don't be put off by the scary pictures!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Isn't Salem's Lot a Stephen King book?
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

bob:

i'd love to read your review comparing it to the earlier effort. SCARLET STREET magazine -- i know i've seen/read from it, but i can't remember when or exactly what it was. do they offer it online now? is there at least a web connection to it?

i've wished you'd talk more about the horror convention -- that was NYC? i wonder what dario argento is up to now. i did not care for his last one -- "sleepless"?
Bob Gutowski

To answer

Post by Bob Gutowski »

'Salem's Lot is indeed Stephen King; his masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. I'm something of a self-taught expert on the subject, and Richard Valley, the head man at Scarlet Street, and now a friend, is taking me up on my proposal to write an article about the two TV versions.

I'd love to go on and on about the convention, but A) it's OT, and B) I'm having a busy Monday. SO, If you'll go to www.scarletstreet.com and click on the "Forums" and go down the threads until you reach "Mystery and Horror Events," you can read about the last Chiller convention in some detail. My posts are fairly evident. Also, Chiller maintains its own website, with photos of the 3-day event (see www.chillertheatre.com).

Scarlet Street magazine is not available online but, as you'll see, the website is a world of its own! I recommend both.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

thanks.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

the other night i noticed a lizzie-related reference in (of all things) the movie, Love Story -- i had never caught it before. but when the couple visits oliver's parents, jenny tells them her mother is from Fall River.
Bob Gutowski

Reviews are coming in for the musical

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Here's a very positive review for the new production of LIZZIE BORDEN:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/new ... ws_id=4713

I've been in touch with the composer/co-lyricist, Christopher McGovern, and he wrote that The Boston Herald also liked the show a great deal.
Bob Gutowski

Cooking show mentions

Post by Bob Gutowski »

We all know that Emeril often mentions his home town, Fall River, and occasionally Miss Borden. But, this weekend, Alton Brown, on "Good Eats," did a show on cutting up and frying your own chicken and he both produced a hatchet and invoked our Lizzie.
Kat

Post by Kat »

This is for you BOB-O:
A Morse link to Tennessee Williams:
Benjamin is the brother of John Morse #4, John Vinnicum Morse’s#10 Great Great Great Great Grandfather.
We are following the line to JVM, but this is the line of his GGGGgrandfather’s brother!

1 Benjamin Morse b: 1668 d: 1743
  + Susannah .... b: ABT 1670 d: ABT 1709
    2 Margaret Morse b: 1702 d: 1775
      + Joseph Coffin b: 1707 d: 1773
        3 Charles Coffin b: 1741 d: 1821
          + Hepzipah Carnes b: 1739 d: 1796
            4 Charles Coffin , Jr. b: 15 AUG 1775 d: 3 JUN 1853
              + Susan Woodridge Ayer b: 22 DEC 1777 d: 30 JUL 1864
                5 Cornelius Worcester Coffin b: 3 FEB 1822 d: 8 JUL 1875
                  + Nancy McCorkle b: 25 MAY 1828 d: 21 MAY 1875
                    6 Isabelle Coffin b: 15 MAY 1853 d: 14 OCT 1884
                      + Thomas Lanier Williams b: 17 APR 1849 d: 23 SEP 1908
                        7 Cornelius Coffin Williams b: 21 AUG 1879 d: 21 MAR 1957
                          + Edwina Dakin b: 9 AUG 1884 d: 1 JUN 1980
                            8 Thomas Lanier "Tenessee" Williams b: 26 MAR 1911 d: 25 FEB 1983
    2 Elizabeth Morse b: ABT 1706
      + John Adams b: 2 NOV 1705 d: BEF JUN 1787
Bob Gutowski

How cool!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

So, let's posit a re-write of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE in which Blanche doesn't try to defend herself from Stanley with a broken bottle, but with a handy hatchet!
Kat

Post by Kat »

He came from a line of "Coffin."
I wonder if that affected him morosely?
Or is is Morsely?
kcfl

The musical

Post by kcfl »

The Lizzie musical implies that she got Robert to kill her parents because:
1. Dad molested her.
2. Dad was going to change his will to give everything to Mrs. Borden.
Any validity to these theories?
-donald caplin
Kat

Post by Kat »

:grin:
Welcome to the Forum!
I see you are a bridge player! I was just thinking about Bridge this afternoon- wishing I had learned from our mother before she died. She was a doulble life-master at Duplicate Bridge.
I was picturing myself playing on shipboard- a cruise- like Omar Sharrif.
For a living!
Oh I wish I had learned!

To give you an answer: I don't think Lizzie was molested, but she seems to have some character traits of an abused child. Just my opinion.
Bob Gutowski

Oh, Donald!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

As you will see from checking the other parts of the board, the questions of child abuse and altering of the will are not anything we can definitively answer.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Welcome to the forum, Donald.

The biggest hurdle to solving (or at least understanding) the Borden murders is the motive.

Andrew probably had a will earlier in his life but none was found at the time of his death. If you assume he had one that opens the door to all kinds of speculation.

As to the incest theory, several responsible writers have put forth that notion. Rebello, page 140 cites the following:

Marcia R. Carlisle - "What Made Lizzie Borden Kill?" American Heritage, July / August, 1992 - According to Ms. Carlisle, Lizzie A. Borden was a survivor of incest and presented an excellent case for that assumption.

Dr. M. Eileen McNamara - "Psychological Profile: Was Lizzie Borden a Victim of Incest?" Lizzie Borden Quarterly, vol. 1, no. 2, April / 1993

Whether a will existed and was about to be changed or incest had occurred, neither can be proven and are just theories.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That Dr. McNamara is all over the 'Net with the article or articles on Lizzie and incest. She also had a chapter in the Proceedings book of 1993, from the Conference.
In the 80's and early 1990's that theory was everywhere- kind of in vogue.
It's reappearing a bit now once again- with less shock value and more of an interested investigation- more a disspassionate view, like a scientific look at something under a microscope...does that make sense?
Bob Gutowski

Happy Memorial Day Weekend - I'm off to hear Lizzie sing!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

As you may remember, we're seeing the musical LIZZIE BORDEN Sunday, in Stoneham, Mass. I'll be back with a report next week.
Bob Gutowski

Jayne Paterson bloody marvlous is LIZZIE BORDEN!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

I was privileged to see the remarkable Jayne Paterson as Lizzie Borden in the Christopher McGovern/Amy Powers musical of the same name in Stoneham, Mass. this weekend.

This woman is not only beautiful (think of a cross between Julianne Moore and Miranda Richardson) and a superb singer, but her acting is impeccable. She created a believable Lizzie with a steely reserve which did not quite hide the yearning and dark currents underneath. She carried the show on her back, which is as it should be.

The project has been noticeably sharpened (pun intended) over the last few years. Christopher McGovern's deft weaving of fact, theory, and supposition has become more incisive since I saw it in New Jersey a few years ago with Alison Fraser in the title role (I did not get to see Christiane Noll at Goodspeed, alas). Christopher told me during the intermission that he's rewritten about a third of the show since the first full-scale production, and it shows.

The production benefited from the performance of Andrea C. Ross, a local seventh-grader, as The Girl, a younger version of Lizzie; I've never heard the show's two stand-outs (which feature both Lizzies), "The House on the Hill" and "Fly Away," sung to such heartbreaking effect. Also especially memorable in a strong supporting cast was Kent French whom, although addressed as "Knowlton," stood in for the entire team of prosecutors. Also terrific was Christopher Chew, who provided an object lesson in how to disappear into two separate characters; the mild-mannered Reverend Kent and the love-lorn Irish handyman who...well, never mind what it is he offers Lizzie. You'll have to see for yourself when the show is mounted again (or, buy the CD though, as I've indicated, some material has been reworked since this recording was made).

This physical production was based on sliding panels decorated with Victorian, lace-like designs, which were often used to breathtaking effect in transitions. Also, the climax of the play, Andrew's comeuppance, was underlined by the use of the stage's turntable, which revolved to show us every angle of the event leading to the slaughter (and a miraculously authentic old sofa was part of the minimal stage funiture, serving both as seating at the Brayton House tea party, and also the last place Andrew is seen alive).

Brava to Ms. Paterson, and bravi to LIZZIE's cast and creators!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Bob, it sounds wonderful! How were the costumes? Anything particularly memorable? Are the killings handled onstage or off? :roll:
william

Post by william »

Kat:

It depends upon what's in vogue for that period of time.

Speculative individuals with little else to do, seem to cuddle up to the incest theory for a while. Tiring of that, they switch to the possibility that lazy Lizzie was a lezzie with Nance or some other public figure. Then, when that thought loses its flavor, they wink at each other and say with lascivious overtones, "I wonder what Lizpeth was doing evenings, with that handsome devil, Tetrault in her summer bedroom at Maplecroft?

All I can say is, if this keeps up our Lizzie is going to wind up with a bad reputation!
Bob Gutowski

The show

Post by Bob Gutowski »

The costumes were mostly very good, with Lizzie in blue, of course. The society ladies of the Fruit and Flower mission were quite well turned-out.

Abby's murder was offstage, and Andrew's was during a blackout; when the lights come up. one of the sliding panels hid the upper two thirds of his body on the sofa.

The actress playing Abby chose to wear the long hair at the back of her neck in a little braided pony-tail instead of twisting it into a simulation of the rat, which is mentioned in the show. I must ask Christopher about that.

I'm sure the musical's website will soon have photos added:

http://members.aol.com/bearluvva/index.html

Also, here is an unofficial Jayne Paterson site:

http://www.unofficialjaynepaterson.com/ ... orden.html
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Bob. I'm dying to see current photos, I'd love to see how they handled Lizzie's dresses as well as the other ladies. The play looks like its gotten some darn good reviews. Wonder if it will ever travel to my neck of the woods? :roll:
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Thanks for the review, Bob! It really sounds like a fascinating production. The staging sounds effective and tasteful--in the best classical tradition of offstage killings! Sometimes I think less is more, and it sounds as if this production takes that approach.

--Lyddie
Kat

Lizzie In Popular Culture

Post by Kat »

From the New York Times- I have no date for the item. It was a bio piece on Princess Margaret- one of my favorite Royals:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

For those of you who have the delightful book by Miss de Mille Dance of Death, here is a photo of Mr. Joseph Welch, late of the McCarthy Hearings, who assisted Miss de Mille in canvassing Fall River for outlandish stories about Lizzie and the crime- the citizenry apparently opened doors to this hero when they would not for anyone else! This is how de Mille got to look over the Waring's Hip-Bath Collection passed down from Jennings!
The picture is undated from The New York Times.
Anyone who recognizes Otto Preminger might give an estimated date?
Bob Gutowski

Forgot to mention!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

At the Stoneham Theater they were selling two T-shirts. One was a kind of arch and precious "Miss Lizbeth's Finishing School for Young Ladies," while the other, which I bought, was a red on black "Free Lizzie!," with a scary rendering of Lizzie's face from the Newport "chair" photo.

I'm going to be seeing the composer of the show again this Saturday when I attend Talkin' Broadway's annual pre-Tony Awards cocktail party in Manhattan.

EXTRA! EXTRA! The people who run the Unofficial Jayne Paterson site have put up some of Christopher's photos of the production! Go to:

http://www.unofficialjaynepaterson.com/ ... orden.html
Kat

Post by Kat »

I found a listing in an old NY Times for a TV show "Omnibus" (which title I recall) and they were showing, on Channel 7 a Joseph Harley TV play called "The Trial of Lizzie Borden."
Catharine Bard played Lizzie
Robert Preston was The Defense
and
Richard Kiley was The Procescutor!

Has anyone seen or heard of this?
It sounds great with that cast!

(BTW: This was way long ago...)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Bob,

I have one of the "Miss Lizbeth's Finishing School" t-shirts, in pink, it's great ! I believe the lady who makes them lives near Stoneham ? I was in Boston a few days before the show opened...I really wished I could have stayed long enough to see the show.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Bob Gutowski

As a matter of fact!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Yes, the musical was worth seeeing!

Kat, Agnes de Mille mentions the OMNIBUS play as part of the whole Lizzie Borden show she put together that included a shortened version of the ballet FALL RIVER LEGEND. In her book, she seems to imply SHE wrote the play, because she was pissed off when host Alistair Cooke gave her surprises away by opening the show with the famous quatrain. She mentions that Knowlton's daughter was offfended that Preston played her father in a snappy striped jacket, as opposed to a proper long coat (even though the listing you read has him playing Robinson!).

Coincidentally, I spent a half-hour this morning looking to see what of OMNIBUS was available on the Net. I've seen a snippet of the OMNIBUS version of FALL RIVER LEGEND in a PBS special on de Mille, but I'm sure I'll either have to go to the Museum of Broadcasting or Lincoln Center to eventually see the entire program.

I watched the Dance Theater of Harlem's FALL RIVER LEGEND again last night, as prep for a piece I've promised Stef for THE HATCHET.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Kat, do you have a date(s) when the Omnibus program "The Trial of Lizzie Borden" aired? My first exposure to Lizzie was a television program (in black and white) I saw around 1960, '61, or early '62. Most of the TV stations we got at that time (all of them over-the-air) were from New York and channel 7 was among them. While I don't remember the title of the program I saw it did make a lasting impression, particularly the "Lizzie Borden took an axe..." song which was played and sung as background music.
Kat

Post by Kat »

No, I'm very sorry.

It is a shame.
These are about 170 items which are undated from the NYTimes.

Maybe in the near future the date can be ascertained at our end.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I wasn't able to find any reference to the specific show but I found out that the Omnibus TV show ran from 1952 to 1961.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Heres a new one, two of my favorite things come together! Pics of a Disney Haunted Mansion action figure taking a visit to Lizzie's house. :cool:

To see more pics, click here:

http://p080.ezboard.com/fdisneyshaunted ... D=24.topic
Bob Gutowski

Oh, my!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

That is adorable! He'll have to go back when that blasted press is no more, and sunlight streams into the sitting room again!

And I'll sit in the back garden with an iced chai latte and relax...
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks, Kat and Harry, for attempting to find the date(s) of broadcast for "The Trial of Lizzie Borden" Omnibus TV program. This program does not appear to be mentioned in the book "Lizzie Borden Past & Present," either.
Alice

Post by Alice »

In the 1941 film, 'The Man Who Came to Dinner', which was on PBS this week, an elderly woman in the story is revealed to be "Harriet Sedley who, as a young woman, murdered her parents in her hometown of Gloucester, Massachusetts. This gave rise to the rhyme,
Harriet Sedley took an axe
Gave her mother forty whacks
When the job was nicely done
She gave her father forty-one." (paraphrasing)
Bob Gutowski

THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, AND THE SISTER WHO...

Post by Bob Gutowski »

It's the final plot twist, actually, by which media and radio star Sheridan Whiteside blackmails his host, Mr. Ernest Stanley, into letting the Stanley children move ahead with the happy, adventurous lives Whiteside has helped them plan during his extended and bothersome stay with the family. "Your sister, Harriet Stanley, is none other than Harriet Sedley, who murdered her parents with an axe...in New Bedford, Massachusetts!" Whiteside threatens to expose her identity to "the good people of Mesalia, Ohio!"

If you didn't know the background, Whiteside was (somewhat) affectionately based on the real-life Alexander Woollcott, a strange, androgynous little man who was a major wit of the time, and who lectured on famous crimes, in particular the Borden tragedy.

Once he commented to Edna Ferber (or was it Dorothy Parker?) on her mannish outfit: "Why, you look almost like a man!" Came the reply, "So do you, Mr. Woollcott, so do you!"
Kat

Post by Kat »

de Mille
Dance of Death, Atlantic Monthly Press

5-6
"When it was known that I was working on Lizzie Borden, letters began to flow in from New England; I kept a dossier and subsequently became acquainted with several of the writers, among them a few who had known
Lizzie personally. I further discovered a coterie of Borden sleuths, amateurs of the case who pursued each clue with the excitement of connoisseurs. This group included two Supreme Court judges, foreign criminologists, Edmund Pearson, who wrote the first important treatment (on evidence not then complete), Mrs. Belloc Lowndes, Alexander Woollcott, Elizabeth Bowen, Joseph Welch, the Massachusetts lawyer, and Victoria Lincoln, who when young lived near Lizzie. Lizzie, it seems, entered into the psyche of many lives."
"Victoria Lincoln as a child lived two houses from Maplecroft [sic] and used to trespass casually into Miss Borden's garden where the elderly woman pottered about among her birdbaths and squirrel-feeders. Victoria's parents reacted with consternation. Her mother said, according to Alexander Woollcott, 'I wouldn't go into Miss Borden's house, dear, if I were you. Because---well, you see, dear, she was very unkind to her father and mother.' "

--Was it Woollcott who stood outside Maplecroft and never knocked? Pearson correspondence?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks, Bob! I couldn't think of Alexander Woolcott's name! I found a picture of him on the 'net but don't know how to post it. He kind of reminds me of a dark-haired Truman Capote.
Those are interesting quotes, Kat. So the "she was very unkind to her father and mother" line came from, or was repeated by Woolcott?
Bob Gutowski

Or was it?

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Robert Benchley, another member of New York's famous Algonquin Hotel "Round Table" of writers and wits (and not a few alcoholics!), was said to have traveled to Fall River on the anniversary of the crime simply to gaze upon the house where the murders took place.

An interesting film based on the dynamics of this legendary group is Alan Rudolph's Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, starring Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's it! Robert Benchley!
I was confusing him with Woollcott.
Thanks Bob-O.

BTW: I wasn't sure of the spelling of Woollcott, but de Mille spelled it
2 o's
2 l's
2 t's.
:smile: