The Evening Standard—Wed., August 10, 1892 Page 6


Police and a Carpenter at Work
in Borden House.

Still Believe a Clew is to be Found
Within its Walls.

Miss Borden Gives Way to Tears in
Her Strict Examination.

[Special Dispatch.]
Fall River, Aug. 10. — It is still widely believed that the police will yet find some new clew to the Borden murder fiend inside the unfortunate couple’s late home.

About 1 o’clock this afternoon City Marshal Hilliard and Officer Harrington were seen to accompany a carpenter named Morris Daley into the Borden homestead on Second street. The carpenter took with him his entire kit of tools. The entrance was made by the front door, which was carefully locked after them.

Although the house has previously been searched three times, and no evidence bearing on the case been found, it is surmised that at the inquest some evidence was put in that the weapon with which the terrible crime was committed is still within the four walls of the Borden house, and that in accordance with such evidence a thorough search is to be made with the assistance of the carpenter. A brick mason was in the house yesterday and tore out fire-places, and it may be that repairs are to be made though it is hardly probable that a carpenter would do mason’s work.

This last movement of the police is looked upon significantly, and its result is awaited anxiously.

The inquest has been going steadily on since 10 o’clock this morning behind closed doors and with the greatest secrecy preserved. The witnesses listened to were John V. Morse and Lizzie Borden. The inquest is still in session.

[By Associated Press.]

Fall River, Aug. 10. — There was an intermission in the proceedings at the inquest at 11:15 o’clock.

A few minutes later Marshal Hilliard drove to the Borden homestead and returned with John V. Morse.

Miss Lizzie Borden was taken into the matron’s room.

Mr. Morse was taken into the court room, but it is said that he was not subjected to an examination.

At 12:50 o’clock the inquiry was postponed until after dinner.

Miss Borden, Mrs. Brigham, Mr. Morse and the city marshal were driven to the house in a close carriage.

Miss Borden was asked some nerve shaking questions, and when she came from the matron’s room she was tear-stained and very much upset.

There was a great difference between her appearance before and after the examination.

The servant girl is kept under the eye of a policeman at her brother-in-law’s house on Division street, and she was not allowed to go free as was intimated last night by detectives.