Lizzie Borden took an axe.

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Steve88778

Lizzie Borden took an axe.

Post by Steve88778 »

We all know how it goes - and we all know that it contains errors . But just how many ? I say 8 - see if you can find 9 errors.
If so, do tell !
:birthdaysmile:
Last edited by Steve88778 on Sat May 22, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mbhenty

Re: Lizzie Borden took an axe.

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Ok, let's look at this:

Lizzie Borden took and ax.

1. We don't know who took an ax. Lizzie was found not guilty.
2. It was not an ax. A study of the wounds suggested that it was a hatchet not an ax.

And gave her mother forty whacks.

3. She was not her mother but stepmother.
4. The whacks delivered to Abby was 19, not 40

When she saw what she had done.

5. Again, it has never been proven that 'she' did it.

She gave her father 41.

6. Her father received 19 whacks, not 41.
7. And again, it was never proven that 'she' delivered them.

For further study: Below is an article written in the Fall River Herald News about seven years ago, and written by the men at the Fall River Historical Society.

By Michael Martins and Dennis Binette
Posted Aug 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Updated Aug 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Fiction: Abby and Andrew Borden were killed by 40 and 41 whacks. Fact: The actual number of blows was 19 to Abby and 11 to Andrew.

Fiction: Abby and Andrew Borden were killed by 40 and 41 whacks.
Fact: The actual number of blows was 19 to Abby and 11 to Andrew.

Fiction: Andrew Borden forced his family to eat rancid mutton stew for days leading up to the murders.
Fact: According to the testimony of their maid, Bridget Sullivan, at the preliminary hearing, the Bordens had actually had a menu that included fresh swordfish, pork steaks, cakes, cookies, and johnnycakes, along with cold mutton and soup, in the days leading up to the murders.

Fiction: Skinflint Andrew Borden deprived his family by forcing them to live in substandard conditions.
Fact: On the contrary. The Borden house had city water immediately after it became available on Second Street (and before many families on the Hill). There was also a pan-type water closet in the basement of the house that was fed by city water, so there actually was an indoor flush toilet. And, the house was centrally heated, as evidenced by radiators in photographs. The fact that there were no gas or electric lights was not uncommon at the time, especially in that neighborhood.

Fiction: A maniacal Andrew Borden slaughtered Lizzie’s pet pigeons with a hatchet, thereby planting a bloody seed of discontent.
Fact: Although pigeon keeping was a popular hobby in nineteenth century Fall River, there is absolutely no evidence to document that Lizzie ever maintained a loft. During the inquest, Lizzie was questioned by Atty. Hosea M. Knowlton regarding “any killing of an animal” that may have taken place on the Bordens’ Second Street property. Her rather matter-of-fact reply was that her father “killed some pigeons in the barn last May or June.” When asked “With what,” she said, “I don’t know, I thought he wrung their necks.” The birds were subsequently brought into the house, presumably the kitchen, where Lizzie noticed “all but three or four had their heads on.” She asked her father, “Why are these heads off,” to which he replied, “they twisted off.” Asked by Knowlton if the heads were “cut off or twisted off,” she stated, “I don’t know, I didn’t look at that particularly ... the skin, I think was very tender.” The somewhat vague exchange of words on the topic of the pigeons, coupled with the unemotional manner in which the responses were delivered, differ from the reaction to be expected from a woman recalling the massacre of her pet birds. The fact that the birds were brought into the house make it apparent that they were likely a utility breed, raised for culinary use, and customarily killed by wringing their necks. It appears that the Bordens were simply going to enjoy a meal of squab.

Fiction: “Lizzie Borden took an axe...”
Fact: The murder weapon was probably a hatchet, not an axe, and, following Lizzie’s acquittal, no perpetrator of the crimes was ever found.

Fiction: The hatchet in the collection of the Fall River Historical Society, that was brought into the courtroom as evidence, was the murder weapon.
Fact: This hatchet, found in the cellar of the Borden house, was never proven to be the murder weapon. No blood was found on it, and the single strand of hair on it was animal, not human. Also, flecks of gold were found in Mrs. Borden’s brain matter at the autopsy. This led the examining doctors to believe that it was a new hatchet that was used to kill her. (New hatchets had gold foil along the edge of the blade, and the manufacturer’s label was also stamped in gilt on the blade – any loose gold would come off with the first use.) No gold was found in Mr. Borden’s wounds. The hatchet found in the Borden cellar was not new at the time.

Fiction: Andrew Borden was a mortician and embalmed bodies, some say in the cellar of the Borden house.
Fact: Andrew Borden never embalmed bodies; in fact, there were no embalmers listed in the Fall River city directories until the 1880s, well after he had retired. As many furniture dealers did, Borden served as an undertaker. In the 19th century, many dealers sold burial furnishings and “undertook” the arrangements for funerals and provided supplies – rented chairs, shrouds, coffins, and transportation from the home to the cemetery. Existing receipts in the collection of the Historical Society clearly detail the services provided by Borden, Almy & Co., and embalming was not among them.

Fiction: Andrew Borden was one of the wealthiest men in Fall River.
Fact: At the time of his death in 1892, Andrew Borden’s estate was worth approximately $250,000 to $300,000. By comparison, Mary Brayton Durfee Young (B.M.C. Durfee’s mother), upon her death in 1891, left an estate worth “in excess of ten million dollars.” There were many individuals in Fall River whose fortunes far exceeded that of Andrew Borden.

Fiction: Lizzie Borden was, in her later life, a friendless recluse.
Fact: As is evidenced by recent research done by the Historical Society, Lizzie had a considerable number of friends, both in Fall River and elsewhere, who were extremely loyal to her. The children of these friends consistently referred to her as “Auntie Borden.” To this day, the descendants of these people still hold her in high esteem.

Fiction: As a child, Lizzie Borden was a peculiar child who was kept out of circulation by her father.
Fact: Thanks to the recent discovery of the diaries of Louisa Holmes Stillwell (“Lulie”), there is the first indication as to what life was like for Lizzie Borden as a teenager. Lulie was a contemporary of Lizzie’s and the two attended high school together and socialized. Through mentions in Lulie’s diaries, we see that Lizzie’s adolescence was no different than that of other girls her age.

Fiction: Andrew Borden was tyrannical and suppressed his daughters.
Fact: By all accounts, Lizzie and Emma were allowed to come and go as they pleased. Both were active in various charitable and social organizations. Lizzie’s proposed fishing trip to Marion indicates that she likely was in the habit of attending house parties, as Emma was, and, of course, Andrew Borden sent Lizzie to Europe on the Grand Tour. Again, Lulie’s diaries show that Lizzie engaged in the same social activities as her contemporaries.

Fiction: Andrew Borden’s strict, penny-pinching ways left his family deprived of any luxuries.
Fact: The Borden family appears to have been well provided for. All existing photographs show the Borden women to be well dressed, and Lizzie and Emma were each provided with allowances from their father. Also, Andrew Borden employed a live-in domestic, Bridget Sullivan, even though there were three adult women who did not work living in the household; if he were as unreasonable as he is made out to be, he could have foregone the expense and forced his family to do all of the housework, cooking, and laundry. Recent evidence recently uncovered by the Historical Society shows that Andrew Borden was also in the habit of hiring outside help on a per diem or weekly basis.

Fiction: Lizzie Borden was a kleptomaniac.
Fact: One story concerning Lizzie shoplifting at Tilden-Thurber in Providence appeared in select newspapers, but only for a couple of days’ duration. Then, the story disappeared as quickly as it had appeared, with no evidence to substantiate the claim. It was also rumored that she stole things from Fall River stores, but no evidence has ever surfaced to indicate that this was true.
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

1) not proven that LB took an axe
2 ) hatchet not axe
3) stepmother not mother
4 19 wacks not 40 wacks
5) when she saw what she had done - she was acquitted of killing step mother
6) she gave her father 41
7 ) father only got 11
8) acquitted of killing father
9) Lizzie acquitted of killing father and stepmother

Actually there is one more so the total is 9 - I will change my title.

Last edited by Steve88778 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:razz: Now, if only we can get the common humanoid to remember it. :shock: :grin:
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

HI !
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes :birthdaysmile:

Below is an excerpt extracted from the novel, Lizzie Borden the Girl with the Pansy Pin.. Here the author takes liberty with the doggrel, having some fun with it.

The little, blue Buick turned down French Street and up the drive at Maplecroft. Across the street, a group of children played on the sidewalk near the Lake residence. One of them, a little, red-haired girl, skipped rope and recited her rhyme. “Lizzie Borden whacked her mother, went downstairs for toast and butter, when she knew what she had done, she killed her father just for fun. Lizzie Borden whacked her mother went down…”
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

:birthdaysmile: EEEEEESH ! that's a creepy one.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile: Yes:

To continue the narrative from "Lizzie Borden the girl with the pansy pin", this is how Lizzie handled the children.

“Those terrible children from down on Barnaby Street are outside the house again,” complained Emma, as the car stopped just short of the garage.
“Shall I chase them away, Miss Borden?” asked Tetrault, opening the car door and letting the two women out.
“No, Mr. Tetrault, let me take care of this,” said Lizzie.
She rushed to open the back entrance to the house. Emma followed. As the door swung open, Lizzie’s little dog, Henty, a Scottish terrier, came sprinting out as if the house was on fire. Lizzie disappeared inside, only to reappear a minute later with a dish of sugar cookies.
“Here, Mr. Tetrault. Now you be nice. Give each one a cookie. Tell them they must move on and go play in their own neighborhood.” She offered the chauffeur a reassuring smile. “There’s one there for you too, Joseph.”
He gave her his little boy grin.
Lizzie watched, making certain everything went well. Her terrier jumped up on her, begging for something to eat. She leaned over and petted him, feeding him the treat he was sure she carried for him. Not soon after, the children scurried down French Street with their sweets in their mouths. Tetrault trotted back across the street, looking pleased.
“See how easy that was?” Lizzie said. “Thank you, Joseph.”

:study:
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

"Lizzie’s little dog, Henty, a Scottish terrier" Nice touch...... :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thank you, Camgarsky4.

I'm accustomed of taking friends and enemies, real people in my life, and from literature alike, and sticking them in my novels as friend or foe.

Henty was a Scottish pup I used to have.

He was named after George Alfred Henty, an English novelist, who wrote boy's books centered around historical events, mostly war, well over a hundred years ago. G.A. Henty was know for having dogs. Mostly Cairn Terriers, but also Scottys. Thus my Scotty, Henty made the cut. One must add fun to writing.

Lizzie was known for having Boston Terriers, so a hint that she may have one in the future was echoed in the novel.

Below is another excerpt from "The Girl with the Pansy Pin."

Here Lizzie is throwing a party at Maplecroft and some famous people were invited. Including Nance and an English actor Named Will Faversham. 1868 to 1940. Faversham performed on stage and film.

The scene has the actor arriving at Maplecroft. After some introductions Faversham and Lizzie break into some small talk... about dogs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You have a dog, Mr. Faversham, do you?” asked Lizzie.
“Please… you must call me Will. A Boston Bull Terrier, of course. Most loyal dog a man may own.”
“Well, we don’t own Henty, he owns us. Don’t you, little Henty?” she said, bending over to pet him.
Lizzie and Faversham’s face were inches apart as they both pampered the pup. Just as their eyes locked, Lizzie jumped to her feet.
“We have had Henty for almost a year now,” she said, for lack of something better to say.
“Have you ever considered a Boston Terrier, Miss Borden?” asked Faversham, standing and brushing off his trousers. “If you like, I can introduce you to some reliable breeders here in New England.”
“Thank you, Mr. Faversham. I may just take you up on that.”
“Take it from and Englishman. One can never have too many dogs.”

Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

I thought she was charged with killing her father - killing her stepmother - THEN another charge of killing her father and stepmother - for a total of 3 separate charges. But I can only find the first 2 in the official trial charges read - I can't find one that said she was charged with the father and stepmother. So I guess the total number of errors is 8.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

"Indicted On Three Counts / Lizzie A. Borden is Held for Trial / Charged with the Murder of Her Father, Step-Mother and of Both With Some Sharp Instrument to the Jury Unknown / The Trickey Episode Does Not Appear," Fall River Evening News, Friday, December 2, 1892
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

So she was charged with the Killing of her Stepmom and Father in a separate count ? Where is that found ?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

The information I posted above was written into Rebello's book and taken from the newspaper, The Fall River Evening News, on December 2nd of 92.

If you want a more authoritative account you can find the indictments of 1. Andrew, 2. Abby, and 3. Andrew/Abby, in the book: The Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Lizzie A. Borden, The Knowlton Papers 1892 - 1893, starting on page 111.
Steve88778

Post by Steve88778 »

Thanks - so there are 9 errors - thanks for setting me on the track of finding those extras !