Andrew's Last Cut

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Andrew's Last Cut

Post by augusta »

I thought Andrew's barber, who shaved him that fateful morning of August 4th, was Pierre Leduc.

But I ran across this the other day as a photo caption:

"Whitehead's Market, circa 1898. Pierre Leduc, standing in the front door, is wearing the typical work frock and hat worn by sales clerks in this period ...."

I would have scanned the photo, but the figure of the man is too small to make out his face.

Did he give up barbering? Was he a barber and also a sales clerk? Was his barber shop close by Whitehead's Market and the photographer just happened to take the photo when he was over there eating a pear? Is this another person entirely?

(Source: "Fall River - A Pictorial History" by Judith A. Boss, 1982, Donning Company/ Publishers Norfolk/Virginia Beach. Page 110.)
diana

Re: Andrew's Last Cut

Post by diana »

Did he give up barbering? Was he a barber and also a sales clerk? Was his barber shop close by Whitehead's Market and the photographer just happened to take the photo when he was over there eating a pear? Is this another person entirely?
That's a fun find!

Although sometimes it does seem as though everyone in the 1800's had the same name -- I, personally, don't want to think that there are two Pierre LeDuc's. (And I'm not buying into the pear either, Augusta -- once bitten etc. ....)

Can you speculate as to whether there's a chance that the captioner may have confused a barber's smock with a shopkeeper's "work frock"?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'd like to see that book.
Sometimes even the dates are wrong.

Maybe Pierre went out of business and the Whitehead store gave him a job?

Would that he could have sold Andrew's shaving mug on E-bay and retire!
augusta

Post by augusta »

Unfortunately the guy in the photo is too small to see. But maybe if I post it, we can blow it up some and see his face better. I'll try. (Now I'm sounding like the FR Police Department...)

Watch, Diana. It'll probably turn out there are two Pierre LeDucs. I'll tell you, that wouldn't surprise me in this case. Just when you think you've got something solid ...
augusta

Post by augusta »

Okay. I will now attempt to post the picture of the so-called "Pierre LeDuc". If nothing shows up, as knowing me I'd bet on that outcome, I'll have to get a lesson on posting pictures from my Tech Support friend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Turned out well! Hurray!

(If one clicks on the picture it is bigger still).
This guy looks young to me...
Har, don't you have a picture with which to compare?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good post Augusta.

It definitely looks like a boy to me. Maybe Pierre had a son, a junior. I have a small photo of Pierre from the FRHS report but there is not enough detail in the store photo to compare.

Here's a blow-up of that portion of the photo:

I couldn't help but notice one of the items for sale. We can't avoid them.

augusta

Post by augusta »

Great post, Harry. You made a valiant effort to blow up Pierre LeDuc, or his imposter. "Pierre LeDuc, Junior"??? :smile: I would think if the person doing the caption, who may or may not have been Judith Boss, knew enough that it was "Pierre LeDuc, Jr." it would have been mentioned that his dad was the barber who cut Andrew's hair that last time.

I vote that it's just wrong. Unless it's an older photo than we think and Pierre is younger, before he went into barbering. (And people wonder how Borden rumors get started ...)

There is a good photo of Pierre LeDuc somewhere that I've seen. I think it's in one of the books most of us have. I can still remember his face, because I looked at it with much interest as it was the first time I'd ever seen a picture of him. Could be an old LBQ. Could be The Knowlton Papers. Hoffman? I've seen it only in the last year or two. That doesn't mean the publication was printed in the last year or two. Sometimes it takes me that long to get to my email!

Pears. Pears, pears, pears. I wonder if Andrew sold those to the stores? I'll bet he tried.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Augusta said: "There is a good photo of Pierre LeDuc somewhere that I've seen."

This is the only one I've seen. It was in a Fall River Historical Society newsletter.

augusta

Post by augusta »

That's the photo, Harry! You so smart!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry, all your pictures are gone- or have little red squares!

I posted a Pierre Leduc at:
viewtopic.php?t=234

Not knowing it had been done here.
I think we have duplicate info between this topic and the "Fall River" section "Sawdust" topic, so no one can miss it!. :cool:

BTW: It should probably be mentioned at least once that there is no testimony that Andrew was shaved that Thursday morning.
What we have collected comes from the newspaper.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I believe Photobucket where the pictures are stored is doing some maintainance.

Hopefully they'll be back up soon.
Kat

Post by Kat »

They are up there now and I should thank someone- you?

I now see the PEAR sign. :smile: