Hands in the 'Cook' ie jar ?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Allen

Hands in the 'Cook' ie jar ?

Post by Allen »

I am just wondering something. Does anyone believe that Charles C. Cook may have been a little shady? It seems to me, and I'll try to find some examples of what gives me this impression once I get them all together, but in some of his dealings I got the idea he was being a little less than honest. Did anyone else ever get this impression about him?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Allen

Post by Allen »

Lizzie of course nominated Mr. Cook as the executor of her estate. She also left $10,000, a nice piece of real estate located on French Street, and her 1923 Lincoln sedan worth about $1,000 to him. Which I don't find particularly curious. It was also requested that he be exempt from giving any sureties on his bond to the Probate Court.

Rebello page 328+

"3. Charles C. Cook, of said Fall River and Tiverton, [Rhode Island], for his long and faithful service to me the sum of ten thousand dollars and my so called Baker lot on French Street, across from where I live.

Charles C. Cook ( executor, advisor) 10,000.00
1. Baker Lot 3,000.00

Mr. Cook maintained ownership of the Baker lot until he died in 1934.
His will listed the value of the Baker lot as $1500. It was inherited by the Second Baptist Society of Fall River.

2. Executor's Fee 5,000

This fee was initially $10,000 and contested by Mrs. Grace Howe and Miss Helen Leighton. The court set the fee at $5,000.

3. 1923 Lincoln sedan given to Mr. Cook 1,000
in a memorandum written by Lizzie.

Inherited 14,000
Executor's Fee 5,000
Total $19,000

(Which would've been $24,000 had it not been for the contestation of the Executor's Fee.)

Charles Cook sold the Henry property ( house and land next to Maplecroft) to Mary K. Buxton on March 14, 1928, for 10,000, but did not record the sale to Lizzie's estate. The property was purchased in December 1926, for $12,000 with Lizzie's money. However, the deed was in Mr. Cook's name. Lizzie had purchased other property an deeded it with Mr. Cook's name as trustee for her. This was a practise to avoid publicity. Lizzie pad the taxes on the property and all repairs. Mr. Cook claimed it was Lizzie's intent that he have the Henry property when she died. Grace Howe and Helen Leighton contested. They wanted the proceeds back in Lizzie's estate. The Probate Court ruled in their favor. the proceeds were placed in Lizzie's estate at a 6% interest rate. the decision of Probate Court was appealed and heard at the State Supreme Court in Boston in 1932. Mr. Cook claimed that the " Bristol Court had no right, while considering hs accounts as executor, to hear evidence as to the ownership of the property." ( "Borden Case Before the Full Bench", Taunton Daily Gazette, April 8, 1932: 2) The Supreme Court agreed with the ruling of the Probate Court.

Note:Harriet E. Henry was a high school teacher in Fall River. Miss Henry resided in the second floor apartment at 3 French Street later renumbered 328 French Street. She purchased the property in 1925 from the Fall River Savings Bank and then sold it to Charles C. Cook as trustee for Lizzie in December, 1926.

Mr. Cook sold Lizzie's half interest in the Andrew J. Borden Building (135,000) for which he received a commission of $6,500. He then charged the estate $10,000 for executors fees. The Probate Court ruled that Mr. Cook would receive $5,000 for executor's fees, not the $10,000 he charged the estate."

I also think his wife's name is very interesting :grin: . Mrs. Wealthy Cook. The book also states that Mr. Cook and Lizzie were very close friends. But I wonder, was there a little more going on behind the scenes with Mr. Cook than we know? Or is it just that I'm not overly fond of lawyers and insurance salemen? :grin:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Good question! I've often wondered the same thing myself. (Of course I have absolutely nothing to back my opinion up, but..) Maybe Mr. Cook felt some sort of entitlement after dealing for many years with what must have been a very difficult client. It does seem, though, that Helen Leighton and Grace Hartley Howe did catch him trying to pull a few fast ones (see Rebello).
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's a lot collected on Cook!
Thanks.
I agree about the feeling of something shady going on with a piece of property and the fee. Going all the way to the state Supreme Court tho makes me think it's possible that maybe there were promises made which were not written down and maybe Cook got a surprise? :roll:
Allen

Post by Allen »

I think Mr. Cook would be a smart enough man to realize that promises, without the benefit of something written down and legalized, are not binding when it comes to the way a person's estate is disbursed after their death. So I have a hard time believing that he thought any of it was legal, or that he could do it without the knowledge of the court. Plus he was the executor of her will, he knew better than anyone else what was in it. If this was the case people could've been coming out of the woodwork when Andrew and Abby died saying they'd been promised this or that.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's what happened to the Whiteheads and the Fishs' earlier when Abby died. It sounded like they thought they might have been *promised* something.
I'm only trying to figure out why Cook would go to the state Supreme Court. I've always wondered about that. He was smart but not a lawyer. Was it just a bluff on his part? Doesn't he pay costs or fees if he loses?
John Vinnicum Morse's family went to court over his will, as did Lizzie's legatees (over Cook).
Were there any other squabbles over the Borden girl's wills?
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:42 pm wrote: Doesn't he pay costs or fees if he loses?
Yes, I think in any debate that is taken to court there are fees for both parties. But I also think that having his pocket padded with the initial $15,000 dollars he inherited from Lizzie (I'm not including the value of the Baker lot or the car in that figure, as they would've needed to be sold first) would've offset the expenses a little on his part. He came out ahead in that department even though he did lose. He started out ahead $15,000. I also feel it could've made him greedy for more?
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Didn't several of Emma's cousins band together and try (unsucessfully) to break her will?
Greedy, GREEDY Bordens! ;-)
Allen

Post by Allen »

I forgot that in the Codicil to Emma's Will she left our Mr. Cook an additional two thousand dollars. Adding the fact that Emma and Lizzie died within a few days of each other, that brings his inheritance up to $21,000.

Rebello page 342:

"Many Public Bequest In Emma Borden Will," Fall River Daily Globe, June 30, 1927. "
"Cousins Would Break Will." Girard Press, Girard, Kansas.

Henry L. Shaw, a farmer living near here, and four sisters and a brother have filed suit in Boston, Massachusetts, to break the will of their cousin Miss Emma L. Borden, by which she disposed of her estate The Will said in part: " I, Emma L. Borden, have valued at nearly one half million dollars today...intentionally omitted to provide in this will, for relatives and next of kin other than those mentioned herein..." A family relative was sent to Fall River to represent the family and they later decided to drop the attempt to break the will.

"Contest Over Will of Emma L. Borden, Petition Against Allowance Filed in Probate Court in Behalf of Mary B. Fairchild and Eva M. Roe, Cousins, both of Illinois."

The petition was filed in Probate Court in Taunton, Massachusetts. the petitioners were omitted in the lists of bequests in Miss ( Emma) Borden's will. They were represented by the law firm of Hardy, Hardy, Barnes & Hardy of Galesburg, Illinois. Fifteen cousins in this and others parts of the country surivive Miss Borden....
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the transcription!
I'm not yet sure if he is my Mr. Cook.
I don't quite trust him...
He died with a lot of money and didn't leave it to any family, I don't think...
Odd.

And good memory, Stuart! :smile:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Does anyone know if Charles C. Cook was in anyway related to the Cook family that Hannah Borden Cook (Abraham Borden's sister) married into?

I read his background in Rebello but didn't get anywhere on some of the genealogy sites.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I just transcribed the Charles C. Cook entry from the Biographical section of the Bristol County history, 1899. In another thread I'll post William C. Davis. In the past I have posted some others of these. They're pretty much "puff" pieces provided by the subjects, who could then say, "Look, I'm in a book!"

Our County and its People, a Descriptive and Biographical Record of Bristol County, Massachusetts, The Boston History Co., Boston, MA, 1899

Cook, Charles C., insurance manager, real estate operator and notary public, was born in Fall River, Mass., March 28, 1854, a son of Alexander O. and Mary Sherwood (Bronson) Cook. His mother was the daughter of Elder Asa Bronson, who was pastor of the Second Baptist Church of Fall River, a very prominent and influential clergyman, deeply interested in the growth and development of the city and promoter of many interests that contributed to the public good of the community. Mr. Cook obtained hid education in the public schools of his native city and very early in life began his business career. He first entered the employ of Cook, Grew, & Ashton, who were engaged in the sale of plumbing and heating material and apparatus and mill supplies. Is father was a senior member of the firm, which carried on a large trade in Fall River and vicinity. Charles C. Cook during his connection with this firm had charge of the mill work and outside management of the business. He sustained this relation to the firm for fifteen years, his active and energetic efforts greatly extending the business and enlarging the trade of the firm and helping to prepare him for other positions of trust and responsibility which he has since held. In 1888 he became general agent for Bristol county of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and devoted himself to the interests of that company for several years. His knowledge of human nature and general adaptability to business assisted him in achieving success as a life insurance man. In the mean time he added to his business fire insurance, real estate operations and dealer in local stocks. Since 1894 he has also been district agent, adjuster and general manager for Bristol county of the Travelers Life, Accident and Liability Insurance Company of Hartford, Conn. Mr. Cook, owing to his good executive ability and mature judgement has been called upon to become the business manager of several large estates, including the Andrew J. Borden estate and the John Campbell estate. He does all the building and looks after all business connected with these and other smaller estates, whose interests are entrusted to him. October 4, 1877, Mr. Cook married Wealthy W., daughter of Benjamin F. and Margaret (McEwan) Winslow.

I'll transcribe Andrew J. Jennings when I get around to it. There's a great engraving of him, much closer in age to the trial time compared to the later photo posted on the LAB website.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for all that!

I will only add, he and his wife had one child, Benjamin A. Cook, born August 17, 1878, died August 22, 1882. The Cooks were members of the Second Baptist Church.-- fromRepresentative Men...Southeastern Massachusetts..., 1912, pg. 1350.
And Rebello mentions that Asa Bronson officiated at Andrew's marriage to Abby Gray, June 1865. (pg. 22)
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Is that as in JUDGE Benjamin Cook?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Allen

Post by Allen »

Thanks for all that information FairhavenGuy! That was very helpful info! I copied and pasted that to keep on my computer so I would have it for reference, along with the information Kat posted. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Their only child, Benjamin Cook, died age 4.

BTW: That Charles Cook bio info is pretty rare. It's a special thing that Christopher shared with us! Thanka again!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

One thing that's interesting about the 1899 Our County and Its People. . . is that the very large Fall River history section has virtually nothing about Andrew, except maybe a passing mention as an incorporator of a bank or something. This was published seven years after his death and Fall River barely acknowledged his existence.

The exceptions are that Cook's biographical entry mentions him handling Andrew's estate, and Jenning's bio mentions he was Lizzie's lawyer. I think Knowlton's bio mentions the case in passing, but I don't have it in front of me right now. I posted it back on the Arborwood forum and I think it's in the archives.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

This is only the second place I've ever seen a bio on Charles Cook.
I think these guys pay to get their bio in a book and either they or their spokeperson provides pertinent info so eveyone sounds so wonderful.
The thing about there maybe only being 2 bios on Cook tells me he wasn't interested in:
Buying his way into a book for posterity
or
Wanted to keep under the radar.
:?:
W Brayton Cook

Post by W Brayton Cook »

NBAcatlover: You asked the question "Does anyone know if Charles C. Cook was in anyway related to the Cook family that Hannah Borden Cook (Abraham Borden's sister) married into?

I read his background in Rebello but didn't get anywhere on some of the genealogy sites."

I believe the answer is no - or if related VERY distant. Hannah married William Cook, his son was William Mintern Cook (sometimes the "Mintern" is spelled different ways) William M Cook's son was Charles Bennet Cook - my great grandfather. They did live and work in fall river.

Hope this helps