Mary Naugle's 92 Seconds

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Mary Naugle's 92 Seconds

Post by augusta »

I totally enjoyed Mary Elizabeth Naugle's 92 Seconds in the February, '06 issue of The Hatchet. What an interesting piece to select to write about.

I saw a cable movie based on them about 15 years ago. It was weird, but the story is weird. It was real good.

Does anyone happen to know the name of the movie, and if it's available for purchase?

Thanks for a good read, Mary! :grin:
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Well, there was a fairly recent film (from '94) called "Sister My Sister" and also a later one, whose English title is "Murderous Maids." (The French title is Les Blessures Assassines). Both are apparently available on dvd, pick your preferred purveyor. (I'm guessing you probably saw the '94 film. Sherry.)

Meanwhile, back in the Jungle, I have to say that I too found Mary's piece on the Papin Sisters to be - it was a masterwork honestly. Exquisitely written and researched - an enticing, but yet also terribly unsettling tale that grabs the gut on many levels. A French edition of Leopold & Loeb - that's as near as I can come to a comparison. I'll resist temptation to say "Keep up the good work..." She'll do that anyway. :wink:
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Thanks so much to both of you. I always enjoy your work too!

Stefani deserves a great deal of the credit for securing the illustrations, which add greatly to the impact of the story. Somehow, seeing the Papin girls before and after is very unsettling: the before looks so innocent, the after so sinister. Those photos and those closeups of the murder weapons--especially the hugely dented pot--somehow drive home the reality of the crime. It is very disturbing. I have to disagree with Doug's Loeb/ Leopold connection, though. Those two were pure nasty intellect. The Papin's were pure nasty (and unpremeditated) passion. Also, I do think the Papins were mad; Loeb and Leopold were, I think, merely unbalanced.

What do the rest of you think?

Have a great long weekend, everybody!

--Lyddie (Mary)
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's odd to me that that sort of madness can go undetected by people living in close proximity to another.
Like *Madame* never noticed?

A question might be was the propensity for violence always there and just errupted? After the deed, one sunk into madness and depravity, and lost their will to live.
That is something I might expect, except the sister who survived prison and left there to work later in her life is the more surprising of the two.

It was certainly an interesting story Lyddie and well done, with your usual attention to detail, and fine grasp of the subject!