Haunted New England

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Alice

Haunted New England

Post by Alice »

The Travel Channel is showing 'Haunted New England' again right now. It has a portion on the Borden house. A number of mistakes in the story, though-the maid, Bridget Kelly?; when Abby was murdered Andrew was asleep in the room below? Anyway, they talk about the alleged hauntings with Martha McGinn. Nice to see the house anytime.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Alice and welcome to the forum!

It's always nice to see a show on the case even though you may have seen it before. And yes, alas, there are always a few boo-boos in the telling.

We are all looking forward to the special where are own Stefani and Kat were interviewed on the case.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks for the welcome, Harry! Where and when is the special with Stefani and Kat? I'll be sure to watch!
On the 'Haunted New England' show, I wish they had shown the bedspread with the bloodstains more thoroughly. It would've been helpful to see the pattern of blood spatter in relation to Abby's body.
Also, I read about a new show for the Discovery Channel where they used Luminol in the house. I wonder if they used any in Lizzie's room?
Harry

Post by Harry »

That's the show. You can read about it in this article from the Herald News:

http://www.heraldnews.com/site/news.cfm ... 9784&rfi=8
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thank you for the link, Harry! I look forward to that show!
I found the statement about the murderer being covered with blood interesting. I've gotten the impression that that wasn't necessarily true. Didn't Dr. Dolan say it might not be the case? But I suppose modern investigators know more than Dolan would have.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hello Alice!
I love your Avatar!
I "Saved" a bunch of those pictures from the Arborwood poster site which used to sponser all the Arborwood Forums.
The Lady of the Lake was one of my favorites.

Dr. Dolan is someone I admire in this whole mess. I happen to believe he believes every word he said. I think he did give this case and the blood evidence his best, considered opinion.
However, how can we reconcile the weapon, at first being admitted as the claw-headed hatchet and then later by trial it is thought to be the handleless hatchet?

Anyway- I am very happy to have recently been told I will most probably be in the Discovery video- but mainly because I say the hatchet head is "Beautiful!"
JEESH! And wondering for 7 months to find out any mistakes I made, is hard! :-? :grin:
So I don't think about it!

Have you been to the House?
That really was the more exciting event for me.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hi, Kat. I'm glad you like my avatar. And thanks for 'saving' it so I could choose it!
I agree with you about Dr. Dolan. As for the question of the weapon, I get very confused about all the various hatchets. It's hard to know whether they actually found the murder weapon at all. Or if they even knew!
I haven't been to the house-yet. I have driven through Fall River on my way to Cape Cod. Maybe someday.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hi Alice, welcome to the forum! :grin: I saw that Haunted New England show, love that kind of stuff. I haven't been to the Borden house yet myself either, so it was such a plus them showing the bedspread from the guest room and Andrew and Abby's hair samples on that show! I had just posted about the show myself in the Stay to Tea section under the Bodega Bay Haunting thread, theres more haunted stuff there if you're into it. Heres a link to the page. I love your Avatar too! Gotta' find one for myself, everything is too big that I find that I like.

viewtopic.php?t=142
Alice

Post by Alice »

Hi Susan. Thanks for the welcome! I did read the Bodega Bay thread. That was so interesting about your visit to the Whaley House. Although they now say the Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana is the 'most haunted house in America', it used to be the Whaley House.
P.S. Love your picture of the Haunted Mansion ghost going to the Borden house!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Although they now say the Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana is the 'most haunted house in America', it used to be the Whaley House.
Oh, I know, its confusing to me, one moment I hear one is being touted as most haunted then the next. I guess its safe to say that both are in the top ten. Are there any known haunts in your area?

It was pretty cool hearing those ghost stories from the employees of the Lizzie B&B on that show, thought it makes me sad to think that maybe Abby's spirit may be trapped in that house.

P.S. Thanks, that pic is from another site I frequent, I just started collecting the figures myself. :grin:
Bob Gutowski

Love ghostly stuff!

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Jay and I do a lot of ghost walks when we visit different towns around the world. I believe in ghosts, but I've never found the Borden house upsetting or frightening; I'm just too interested in what happened there, I guess.
Susan

Post by Susan »

My sweetie and I just recently started doing the same thing. Its one of the many things we share that make me so glad I met the man! Theres so many sites here in California that fall under the title of "Haunted" that they should keep us busy for awhile. :grin:
Alice

Post by Alice »

The old railroad station and an old theatre in downtown Salt Lake City are said to be haunted. And I know of a couple of privately owned houses rumored to be haunted, too.
Susan, have you been to the Hotel Del Coronado? They supposedly have a ghost. I had brunch there once, but didn't see any ghosts.
I've always been skeptical of the Borden house being haunted. Simply because, as famous as the house has been since the murders, I never heard about it being haunted until it became a B&B. I don't know.
Bob, what cities have you done ghost walks in? Ever seen anything?
Kat

Post by Kat »

You asked the same EXACT questions I was going to ask!
About that Hotel Del room that's haunted and where Bob-O has been?
Stef and I went to England with my friend who we had to promise first off we would not take her knowingly anyplace that was haunted.
She did agree to the Tower tour tho.
But no JtheR tours!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Susan, have you been to the Hotel Del Coronado? They supposedly have a ghost. I had brunch there once, but didn't see any ghosts.
Yes, I've been to the Hotel Del many times and have had the brunch on the terrace before, its fab! I've seen the staircase going down to the beach (don't know if its the original?) that Kate Morgan supposedly shot herself on in November of 1892. It is she that is supposed to haunt the Del, never was able to see her old room. Only guests of the hotel are allowed upstairs though I did sneak up there once and got hopelessly turned around, it is a BIG place.

Alice

Post by Alice »

I knew about Kate Morgan, but I'd forgotten it was in 1892. What a coincidence! The Hotel Del is a gorgeous place!
Kat, that's funny about your friend. The Tower is supposed to be chock full of ghosts, but I never heard of Whitechapel having any. I'd think they would considering those murders were never solved.
Bob Gutowski

Ghost walkin'

Post by Bob Gutowski »

We took a ghost walk in New Hope, PA (in 97-degree weather!), and we went up outside the "haunted" room in the Logan Inn after the walk, which was eerie, though nothing happened.

We were the only clients in London one evening for a charming stroll with a retired teacher who insisted on taking just the two of us, anyway.

Let's see - we've walked in Key West, in Annapolis, and in Charleston and Savannah. The tour in Charleston on a very dark night was really scary, and they displayed several good ghost photos taken in the vicinity.

We tried to take one in Paris, but the guides never called us back.

The only time I SAW something ghostly occur was when I was younger, and a ghost in a friend's house tossed some items out of a bathroom cabinet.

I've had some experiences with astral projection, but that's another thread, if not another site! Oh, and skulking around the wonderful Hotel Stanley in Colorado, where Stephen King dreamed up THE SHINING, and where they filmed some of the TV remake, was certainly goose-bump inducing.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Wow, you've done alot of that sort of thing, haven't you? In that 97-degrees I'll bet you were longing to find a "cold spot"! :wink:
I've heard about alot of hauntings in Charleston.
Thanks, Bob!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Susan & Bob!

Stef & I snuck upstairs in the Del too! I didn't get lost but I was practically dragging her.

We were all set to take the ghost tour in Charleston last November but got tired from walking already all day and went home and played poker instead. :smile:
We had been on a day tour of some of the homes many years ago, too.

Bob, was it Timberline Lodge of the original the Shining? Our brother stayed there (whatever the name of it was) one skiing vacation. He insisted. He said it was beyond creepy.
Susan

Post by Susan »

You are correct, Kat. The orignal movie The Shining was filmed at The Timberline Lodge in Oregon.

I dragged an old boyfriend upstairs in the Del, he was worried we would get caught. We were trying to get to one point in the hotel and were trying to gauge where we were at by looking out the windows. Needless to say, we never got to the area we wanted to be, that big tower towards the beach. :-?
Bob Gutowski

When we all shine on...

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Yes, that hotel in Oregon was used for early exterior shots in the Kubrick film, but the interiors and the later snow (salt, actually) covered exterior were sets built on a London soundstage.

The Stanley is where Steve and Tabby King were staying off-season, practically alone, when he dreamt up the premise for The Shining.

There were framed clippings and photos in cases abou the hotel and King, and since the mini-series was partially shot there, I'm sure there are more!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Susan & Bob!

Susan, I can't see your pic. Only that dratted square with red in it.

I knew The Stanley was in London so I knew it figured into the story somewhere! :smile:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Sorry, Kat, it was just a pic of the Timberline Lodge shot from a distance away. Heres another one closer up during the summer.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh wow! Thanks!