Morse Again

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Morse Again

Post by Kat »

Ad @ Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:22 pm wrote:
I agree with Tracy. Morse has always stood out from the crowd for me.

Firstly; he seems to know where he was, whom he was with and what he was doing, at any given time. (almost to the minute) "very" strange/suspicious, me thinks!!

Also, who travels without luggage? As far as I recall he didn't even have a toothbrush, did he??

It seems odd to me that he can remember the street car diver's cap number, but he can't remember his toothbrush.

And who goes past a "large" crowd of people milling about the house that you're staying at without asking "What's going on?" He chose to go to the back yard I believe.

Is it just me, or does his actions seem a little suspect?

Any thought on our Mr Morse??
Kat

Post by Kat »

Morse is definitely suspicious.
He had various reasons for coming to Fall River but he never achieved any of his tasks:
To find a man to run the farm
To get some oxen for Davis
All he did was go to Swansea to dinner and bring back the eggs. And it took him 5 hours! (3:30 to 8:30PM, approx.)
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

and his explanation for his visit across town to see the niece/nephew has always seemed odd to me -- if i understand it right, he says that andrew asked him to go visit these relatives -- but they are relations of morse. how did this concern andrew? yet morse tells this as if it's understandable.
Harry

Post by Harry »

His relationship with his niece on Weybosset always confused me.

At first he claimed he only met her once then denied that he said that. She says Morse had picked her up at the Warren station just 3 weeks ago and drove her to Swansea. She doesn't say where in Swansea he drove her to but I always assumed one of the Borden farms.

She must have been in the area for those 3 weeks. She certainly didn't go back home to Excelsior, Minnesota during that time. Where was she those 3 weeks? Didn't Morse have a relative in Warren? Was she staying there?

He says he had dinner the night of the 3rd at the home of Mr. Vinnicum in Swansea. Was he a relation? The name Vinnicum is not exactly a common one. Morse also states that it was to this Mr. Vinnicum that he mailed his letter from the post office on the morning of the 4th.

Reading Morse's different stories makes your head spin.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
william

Post by william »

Where is it stated that Morse knew the street car conductor's hat number?
diana

Post by diana »

I don't know whether the bit about the conductor's cap appears in other places -- but in his History of Fall River -- Arthur Phillips writes:

"Although Mr. Morse was first suspected of the crime, he presented the most complete and remarkable alibi ever known, and was almost immediately eliminated from police inquiry. After leaving the Borden home early in the morning, Morse had taken a street car to Weybosset Street from the center of the city and was there till both murders had been discovered. He furnished the police with the number on the street car which he had taken, the number on the conductor's cap and the names of persons he had seen or met." (Source: page 7 of First Facsimile Abstract Edition by Robert Flynn excerpted from Fascicles I and III of The Phillips History of Fall River.)

As has often been pointed out -- this history was written in the mid 1940's -- and may have been reliant on Phillips memory of events that happened over 50 years before; although I guess it's possible he could still have had notes from the trial to use as references.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:40 am wrote:Morse is definitely suspicious.
He had various reasons for coming to Fall River but he never achieved any of his tasks:
To find a man to run the farm
To get some oxen for Davis
All he did was go to Swansea to dinner and bring back the eggs. And it took him 5 hours! (3:30 to 8:30PM, approx.)
I don't think it's all that suspicious that he didn't accomplish much during his stay. He had only been there for a day. He said he left New Bedford on the 12.35 train and got to the Borden home at about 1:30 on Wednesday. He got up the next morning, Thursday, and left early to go visiting to see family. When he got back the Borden's had been murdered. He really didn't have time to accomplish all that much if you look at how long he was actually there. Who wants to show up and get right down to business anyway when you could have some leisure time on your trip as well? This could be especially true when visiting folks you don't get to see that often.

I think Andrew mentioned going to visit his relatives in much the same way I might tell someone who isn't in town that often that while they are here they ought to go and see so and so. If for no other reason that going visiting might make their stay more enjoyable, and that person may like to have a visit from them while they are on town.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I don't think, Melissa, you're realizing that Morse's visit was from just one town away. He wasn't coming from someplace far out-of-town. I'm certain any number of people commuted daily from Dartmouth to Fall River and got an awful lot accomplished in that time. (Look how much business Andrew attended to in a couple of hours.)

He might not have been to the Borden's house in a couple of months, but that doesn't mean he wasn't in and out of Fall River many, many times during that interval.

The same reminder goes to those who say it's unusual that Morse would arrive in Fall River without luggage or a toothbrush. He only lived ten miles away!
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Hmmm, that makes me wonder if there was any hanky-panky going on? As Harry posted, Morse picked up his niece 3 weeks before the murder day visit with her, he had already seen her. Andrew says shes in town, why doesn't Morse go and see her and he does, but, Andrew apparently didn't know that Morse had seen her previously. And that Morse possibly drove her to one of the Borden farms, I do say possibly, and Andrew wasn't aware of it? Were they up to something behind Andrew's back? :roll:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
sguthmann

Post by sguthmann »

In my mind, there are too many coincidences where Morse is concerned to be completely accidental or random. From him showing up the day before the murders, to his visiting the farm and bringing the eggs back (thus eliminating the hired help's morning visit on the 4th), to his being out of the house exactly during the time the murders occur.

And yet, I'm at a complete loss to explain how Morse would gain by the deaths of Abby and Andrew??

One other note re: Morse...I remember reading (I think it was in Rebello?) that morse had training/knowledge of drugs/pharmeceuticals. Again, another coincidence?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Harry @ Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:44 pm wrote:
He says he had dinner the night of the 3rd at the home of Mr. Vinnicum in Swansea. Was he a relation? The name Vinnicum is not exactly a common one.
John Vinnicum Morse and Sarah Anthony Morse Borden were grandchildren of Joseph Morse and Sarah Vinnicum. (And their great-grandmother was an Eddy.)

William Morse married Mary Eddy

Their son Joseph Morse married Sarah Vinnicum.

Their son Anthony Morse married Rhoda Morrison.

Their children included Sarah Anthony Morse and John Vinnicum Morse.
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Susan @ Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:36 pm wrote:Hmmm, that makes me wonder if there was any hanky-panky going on? As Harry posted, Morse picked up his niece 3 weeks before the murder day visit with her, he had already seen her. Andrew says shes in town, why doesn't Morse go and see her and he does, but, Andrew apparently didn't know that Morse had seen her previously. And that Morse possibly drove her to one of the Borden farms, I do say possibly, and Andrew wasn't aware of it? Were they up to something behind Andrew's back?
Inquest
Morse
Q. What was the date of that letter? You may refresh your memory. If you have no objections, I will see it.
(Witness produces the letter dated July 25, 1892.)
Q. Have you any objection to me keeping this?
A. No Sir, I would not like it lost, because it was the last one I ever had from him.
____
Morse had a letter from Andrew 10 days before Morse came over to stay- and again we have the question of the niece and nephew being in or around town 3 weeks already.

Just before this testimony is the statement made about getting a man for the farm. Supposedly Andrew told Morse to wait until he saw Morse in person- why, I don't know.
Morse told the guy at the farm (Eddy) that he would come back Saturday.
We don't know why an early riser like Morse even came to Fall River so late on Wednesday, if he was going to go on to to Swansea.
Davis, in the papers, said he thought Morse would be gone 2 days.
That's Wednesday and Thursday. Morse didn't really Do anything during that visit. He gave reasons for this trip over and didn't accomplish these things. He's going to go home Friday and come back and get the cattle Saturday?
Plus he eats the food at the Bordens after knowing they had been sick? :roll:
(BTW: This is Ad's topic. I hope he joins in).

Witness Statements, pg. 36
"Frederick Eddy made the following statement. 'John V. Morse came over to this house Wednesday evening Aug. 3, between seven and eight o'clock. He drove a horse and top buggy; said it was a stable team. He came in the house and brought a rattan basket, took out three pears and laid on the table, said he brought them over from the Borden house. He said Mr. Borden sent him over to see how I was, and get the eggs. Said Mr. Borden was coming with him, but he, his wife and Lizzie were taken sick last night, and he couldn't come. He said he stopped to supper at Mr. Vinnecum's, who lives a short distance from here. I said to him, after he got his eggs, "how about the oxen Mr. Davis of South Dartmouth was to have to use?” “I am going back and see Mr. Borden, and think we will make arrangements to get them back over Saturday morning”, was the reply. Mr. Morse stayed here perhaps ten or fifteen minutes.' "
Allen

Post by Allen »

FairhavenGuy @ Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:26 pm wrote:I don't think, Melissa, you're realizing that Morse's visit was from just one town away. He wasn't coming from someplace far out-of-town. I'm certain any number of people commuted daily from Dartmouth to Fall River and got an awful lot accomplished in that time. (Look how much business Andrew attended to in a couple of hours.)

He might not have been to the Borden's house in a couple of months, but that doesn't mean he wasn't in and out of Fall River many, many times during that interval.

The same reminder goes to those who say it's unusual that Morse would arrive in Fall River without luggage or a toothbrush. He only lived ten miles away!
I'd like to point out, also, that it was still ten miles away by horse and buggy. It wasn't 10 miles away with a 55 mile per hour speed limit in a car. If you look at what Morse testified to, he said it took him almost an hour after he got on the train at New Bedford to arrive at the Borden home in Fall River. From 12:35 - 1:30 to get from the New Bedford train station to the Borden home. That was by train. If anyone was gong to question something about Morse I'd question that.

The last time he had seen the Borden's before he showed up for the murders was around the 10th of July. He was also there around the end of June. In July he spent the night, in June he came and went the same day and did not spend the night. He said his visits were just as they happened. Which to me means whenever he took a notion.

In July he had come to spend the night and leave the next day. In June he came to visit for the day but did not stay. I think this shows a pattern about Morse's behavior. He was always living with someone else, he never lived alone.It seems he was always visiting around as well. Always looking for somewhere to get a meal. I am thinking Morse would not be the kind of man who wanted to cook for himself.

He showed up whenever he took a notion to stay, and stayed as long as he liked. I think just because he showed up at that particular time to take care of some business per Andrew's request doesn't seem suspicious. I think it was just a coincidence. He was asked to come by Andrew, and he obviously was because he showed the letter to the court, and he just happened to show up on that day. And it seems his CUSTOM to visit around and do some leisurely activities when he came into Fall River to see the Bordens.

Inquest testimony John V. Morse page 96:

Q. The last time you were there before this murder was when?
A. I should think somewhere about the 10th of July.

Q.How long did you stay then?
A. I did not stay but a short time. I was here over night, but I went down to an Aunt's on Stafford road at the time.

Q. What is her name?
A.Catherine Boudray.

Q. Before that can you recall the last time you were there?
A. It was somewhere in the last of June. I know Phebe Curry was sick at the time, she died a little afterwards, I think about the last of June.

Q. Did you stop all night then?
A. No sir, came over in the morning and went back at night, I can tell all about the time if you want me to. There was a lady came over, Mr. Davis' daughter, with me. We drove over in the afternoon, I hired a horse, and Mr. Borden's daughter went to ride, we went down to the steam boat. I took her home after dark.

I also think way too much is being made about him not "accomplishing" anything during his visit. As I said, the man was only there for less than a whole day before the Borden's were murdered. He got there at 1:30 pm on Wednesday, and by 11:30 am Thursday the Borden's were dead. We cannot be sure what his habits were when it came to business. We can't say for sure whethe or not he was a man who wanted to get right down to business.

When it comes to Kat's question about why would Morse say he was leaving Friday but say he and Andrew were going to make arrangements to get the cattle back over Saturday morning. It can also mean that he and Andrew were going to talk and work out arrangements any day before Morse left to have the cattle back over on Saturday. It doesn't necessarily mean he was going to leave Friday, and come back Saturday.

And those eggs. I have never seen so much importance put on a basket of eggs. It's quite possible that Morse went to gather the eggs for Andrew because he was going to be going that way anyway! He went to visit Mr. Vinnicum in Swansea and had supper, which as it happened is where the farm is. He said Mr. Borden asked him to stop by and get the eggs, and that Andrew was going to come with him but was taken ill and couldn't come. What if Andrew hadn't been sick? Then he would've went with Morse to Swansea when they got the eggs, and no one would be speculating that Morse made a special trip to Swansea to pick up some eggs just so the man didn't come to the house.

If the man did come to the house all Lizzie had to do was answer the door and get the eggs. The doors were locked. It isn't as if the man could come barging in the house and said where is Mr. Borden I have these eggs for him. She could've said father isn't home, my step mother went out on a sick call, I'll take the eggs. Depending on what time he showed up. It would've been much simpler, and fit in even better with Lizzie's alibi of saying she believed Abby had gone out, to do that. I think Morse is getting a little too much suspicion thrown on him all over a basket of eggs.

As for saying he did DO anything. In my opinion he did alot. He was visiting around. He visited quite a few places in a short span of time.

And for the tooth brush statement. If he came on Wednesday, and was planning to stay until Friday and then go home, the toothbrush statement still applies for me.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
william

Post by william »

Thank you for your reply, Diana.

I was familiar with the comments made by Phillips, but I was trying to determine if there was any other souce. To the best of my knowledge none of the these statements is supported by the testimony of Morse in the Witness Statements, the Preliminary Hearing, the Inquest and the Trial. I am inclined to think that Phillips was stretching it a bit.
Thanks again for your input.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Andrew's illness may also have been a reason they didn't get much accomplished. Even though Andrew went out that day, what did he really get accomplished? His illness kept him from going to Swansea with Morse.
diana

Post by diana »

You're welcome, William -- and I tend to agree with you that Phillips might have been stretching his point somewhat.

BTW -- Victoria Lincoln (p. 112) and Arnold Brown (p. 172) [our two favorite authors!] also mention that Morse knew the cap/badge number of the conductor -- but I don't know of any primary sources that back them up. They may have cribbed this info from Phillips book....
Harry

Post by Harry »

On the cap/badge number see also Kent (p23):

"Amazingly, he could trace his movements minute by minute and street by street, including the number of the trolley he had ridden and the number on the cap of the conductor who had driven it. His remembrances would suit a casebook on alibis."

It's also in Douglas' Cases That Haunt Us" (p98)

Neither Kent nor Douglas cite a source. Probably Phillips is the same source for all. I could not find a newspaper reference to it.

Kent's paragraph appears in chapter 3 titled, Vinnicum And Other Strange Things. :smile:
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Masterton also writes about Morse knowing the cap number etc. on page 143. Radin in his book on page 208, writes that Arthur Phillips wrote in a newspaper article, "that he always suspected Morse of the murders." Radin goes on to point out how Phillips always wondered about the argument Andrew and Morse had the night before. On page 209. he quotes the New Bedford Standard-Times saying it had, "reported Knowlton as saying, long after the trial, that if he only knew what Borden said during the conversation with Morse, he would have convicted 'somebody.'"

I wonder if Lizzie heard this argument and that's where she got her idea to say Andrew had an argument with an Englishman about some property?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I think the first point against Morse is that, according to his story, he came on a very short trip from South Dartmouth/ New Bedford to Fall River for the purpose of getting Mr. Davis a pair of oxen and yet nearly twenty-three hours after his arrival in Fall River, he's strolling into the back yard of 92 Second Street to eat a pear before dinner and he hasn't done a single thing toward getting those oxen.

The next point against him is that during all this supposedly aimless wandering around he did, he just happens to be away from the Borden house from shortly before we first lose sight of Abby until shortly after Andrew's body is discovered, AND he has so neatly accounted for virtually every second of his time during that interval.

The next point is that, in an unusual change from earlier visits, he slept in the guest room next to Lizzie's bedroom the night before Abby was killed in that particular room. (Usually Emma's home, sleeping in the room connected to Lizzie's, Morse stays in the attic and the guest room stays empty. This time Emma's away and Morse and Lizzie sleep in the front half of the second floor, and Abby dies while up there cleaning. . .)

The next point is that if there are any issues between Andrew, Abby and the girls about money, property and "family," then Andrew's continued business dealings with his first wife's brother probably doesn't help lessen any tensions.

There are other points, too, but it seems as if Uncle John's presence in Fall River on August 4 could have some connection with Abby being murdered and then Andrew being murdered, too.
Allen

Post by Allen »

FairhavenGuy @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:59 pm wrote:I think the first point against Morse is that, according to his story, he came on a very short trip from South Dartmouth/ New Bedford to Fall River for the purpose of getting Mr. Davis a pair of oxen and yet nearly twenty-three hours after his arrival in Fall River, he's strolling into the back yard of 92 Second Street to eat a pear before dinner and he hasn't done a single thing toward getting those oxen.

The next point against him is that during all this supposedly aimless wandering around he did, he just happens to be away from the Borden house from shortly before we first lose sight of Abby until shortly after Andrew's body is discovered, AND he has so neatly accounted for virtually every second of his time during that interval.

The next point is that, in an unusual change from earlier visits, he slept in the guest room next to Lizzie's bedroom the night before Abby was killed in that particular room. (Usually Emma's home, sleeping in the room connected to Lizzie's, Morse stays in the attic and the guest room stays empty. This time Emma's away and Morse and Lizzie sleep in the front half of the second floor, and Abby dies while up there cleaning. . .)
The first 23 hours also includes night time hours when everyone is sleeping, and when Andrew is away? Does it include the time needed to discuss the business that Andrew told Morse they would talk about once he got there? Nothing had even been dicussed fully when Morse arrived because Andrew asked him to wait until he saw him. Morse got there at 1:30. We know from Mr. Eddy that the business was still being discussed and planned when Morse was there at between seven and eight o'clock Wednesday evening. He arrived back at the Borden's at about a 8:45. They talked until about 10 o'clock. It seems to me if nothing had been done yet, it was partly Andrew's fault as well.

Again I'm assuming they were talking and planning Wednesday evening due to the fact that he told Mr. Eddy he was going back to talk to Mr. Borden and they were going to make arrangements for Saturday. This, in my opinion, could also be why Morse had not done anything by Thursday about the oxen. He still had two days. Do we know for sure if they had made any arrangements? Any arrangements he had made for Andrew would be null and void after he was dead.

Morse gets up and leaves early. My feeling is he knew Andrew was leaving, they couldn't discuss business any further, he did not feel like being stuck in a house full of women by himself, and especially Lizzie and Abby together. Lizzie hated Abby. Lizzie was also avoiding Morse. So that leaves him in the company of Abby and Bridget the servant. Bridget was going to be washing the windows, and I don't see Morse seeking her out to keep him company anyway. So that leaves him in the company of Abby. He also can't do, or further discuss, any business with Andrew when Andrew is gone.

He just happens to be away during the time that it took for Abby and Andrew to get killed. Again he knew Andrew was leaving. He also came back at around the time Andrew asked him to come back.

And as for him sleeping in the guest room, maybe he was uncomfortable sleeping in the attic with the servant so near by.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Personally, I don't care about the eggs. I don't think I said the eggs were suspicious- only that that was the only thing Morse accomplished.
He is a early riser. He comes over to Fall River late. Andrew is indisposed. From Morse's testimony we hear he was going to see about a man for the farm, or he was going to see about some cattle or he was going to see how well or ill Eddy was.
He has too many reasons to go there. That is what is suspicious.
Maybe Andrew asked for the eggs or maybe Morse made that up. They didn't eat any eggs on Thursday though.
Morse is a parsimonious man. It's claimed he stays with people for meals, and a bed. Why would he make a train trip, HIRE a conveyance, go to Swansea, and not do anything other than eat and get eggs?
Even Eddy at the farm asked about the cattle.
Morse came for that reason yet stayed there 10 minutes.

BTW--In Allen's post it says I asked why Morse said he was leaving Friday- but I didn't say that. I was asking rhetorically: Was Morse going to leave Friday and come back Saturday?

Here are Morse's reasons for coming to Fall River. He has as many reasons as Lizzie has stories as to the places she was during Andrew's murder.

Also note that Davis says Morse will be gone 2 days, and also note that Morse said he could have gone back the same day. But he didn't. He stayed too long in Swansea and missed the 6 or 6:30 train. Then Thursday, he hangs around town, whereas he could have been concluding his business about the man or the cattle, in Swansea. Andrew is on his feet again...no impediment there. Plus they had had time to discuss things- they had Wednesday afternoon and Wednesday night and Thursday after breakfast.
^^^^^^^^

Witness Statements, 29:
"She [Mrs. Emery] asked him to remain to dinner, but he declined saying something about going to New Bedford, to which place they understood be was going after leaving the house. He left by the front door, but she does not know whether or not he took a street car."

"He said Mr. Borden sent him over to see how I was, and get the eggs."--Eddy

Inquest
Morse
A. I dont think I did. Let me see, let me tell it as I can think of it. Mr. Borden, when I was over here sometime in July, that I speak of, wanted to know if I knew of a man he could get on his farm, to take charge of it, I told him I did not know, I would see. When I got back I wrote him I knew of a man I thought would suit him, I would send him over. He wrote back to me he had rather I would wait until I saw him. I have his letter in my pocket, if you want to see it.
Q. What was the date of that letter? You may refresh your memory. If you have no objections, I will see it.
(Witness produces the letter dated July 25, 1892.)
Q. Have you any objection to me keeping this?
A. No Sir, I would not like it lost, because it was the last one I ever had from him.
Q. That, then, was the last correspondence before you came over?
A. That is the last.
Q. You did not write him you were coming?
A. No Sir.
Q. You came partially in pursuance of that request?
A. Yes Sir
She did, in the dining room. I sat down and ate, and we went back in the sitting room and chatted again until between three and four. I was going to Swansea. I came over to Kirby’s stable, hired a horse and buggy and went over to Swansea.
Q. With Mr. Borden?
A. No Sir. I asked him to go. He said he did not feel able to; they were indisposed, all of them that day.
Q. Did you happen to know of his taking some medicine?
A. I asked him to go over to Swansea. He said he did not feelable to. I says “I will wait until morning, if you will go”. He said no he had been taking some medicine, and did not think he would go.
Q. When did you leave the house?
A. Well, about nine, but I should think maybe quarter or twenty minutes of nine.
Q. What was going on in the intervening time, before you went?
A. We went out in the sitting room from the dining room, and Mr. and Mrs. Borden and I talked a little while; then she went to dusting around, doing her little chores. Then Mr. Borden and I talked about some cattle I had; and then I went away.
Q. Did you say where you was going?
A. Yes Sir. He was telling the night before, up at Mr. Emery’s I had a nephew and neice from the West, and he told me where they lived, and wanted me to go and see them.

101-102
Q. Did you tell him you were going?
A. Yes Sir. As I went out the door, he says “John, come back to dinner with us”. That is that last he spoke to me. I said I would. I came to the Post Office and got a car.
Q. When you came from New Bedford to Fall River did you have any set time to go back?
A. Not particular, no. I told Mr. Davis I would try to get back the next day. He says you will be gone two days, I guess, I will give you that. I could have gone back the night before at six o’clock or half past

Preliminary Hearing
Morse
Q. This last year, how often have you been there yourself?
A. O, sometimes once a month, it might be two months.

Q. When you made your home in Dartmouth?
A. Yes Sir, for the last year.

Q. Whose farm did you go over to?
A. Mr. Vinnecum’s and Mr. Borden’s both.

Q. Mr. Borden has a place over there?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Did you have some business of Mr. Borden’s over there?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. I do not care to go into the particulars of it. You had some business relating to Mr. Borden at the farm?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Something about hiring a man, was it not?
A. I went more particularly over there that day to see about some cattle I bought of him. I thought I would make arrangements to take them.

Q. Mr. Borden knew you was going over?
A. Yes Sir, I invited him to go with me.

Q. How did you find Mr. Borden’s health that day?
A. He was sick, indisposed, laying on the lounge.

Q. That is the last time you saw her?
A. That is the last time I saw her alive.

Q. Mr. Borden, the last time was when he let you out?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. To whom did you write that letter you put in the post office; you are not obliged to tell that.
A. I think it was to William Vinnecum.

Q. Of Swansea?

Page 244

A. Yes; it was to him, I know now; it was about some cattle.

Q. You mailed it here in the post office?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Did you go straight up in the horse cars, up to Emery’s?
A. No Sir, I walked up.

Q. Then you went over to Swansea and did an errand for Mr. Borden, got some eggs for him?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Did he request you to get them?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. And you saw Mr. Borden’s farmer about some cattle which you had bargained for from Mr. Borden, I understood?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. And got home about what time?
A. Somewhere not far from quarter to nine.
_________

It seems by trial time they are no longer asking Morse why he came.
Perhaps they knew better than to ask?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Phillips is the source for the "perfect alibi" story of Morse, claiming he knew about the conductor's cap # etc.
Diana is right- It starts with Phillips.
I have looked exhaustively in the past for the source and it is he.
Terence had e-mail correspondence on aspects of the Borden case with Fritz and with Masterton, which Stef and I have just seen recently after our Fall River trip. He discusses different aspects of the case with both. With Fritz, there is a discussion of that Phillips news article I had requested Ter get for me. When Terence got it he found info in there which changed his theories on what he was writing about for the LBQ at the time. Also, in that article we both found the conductor's cap # alibi business.
Ter must have said to Fritz something along the lines of:
"that Morse could tell the number of the horsecar and of the conductor's cap as maybe being an intended exaggeration..." which I myself did believe, after studying Phillips for a long time.
However, Fritz thought it might have been more of a misunderstanding and gives a likely scenario as to how the story may have started.
This was in March of 2002- and I have copious notes on the subject but never wrote it up.
So I find now recently, that not only was I interested in the origin of the perfect alibi- but so was Terence, Fritz, and now Diana! :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

BTW: This reminds me- when you read the introduction to the Phillips article taken from the Phillips History of Fall River, download at the website:
Stef did not know my theory as to to how that chapter was written, and added my name to her theory in the intro- but I didn't agree. She was only about 1 e-mail behind when that was uploaded for the public. It's not ever been changed. When she updates the site, that will be fixed. :smile:
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

We must remember, as Kat has pointed out, the only things we know about the business between Andrew and Morse comes from Morse, after Andrew was dead.

Morse tells Mr. Eddy that Andrew sent him for eggs.

Morse says Andrew invited him back for dinner Thursday. (But Mrs. Emery had the idea, also from Morse, that he was going back to New Bedford.)

Morse says Andrew suggested he visit his niece.

Morse says the Swansea business was about buying or transporting oxen or finding somebody to take over the farm or whatever.

None of that stuff about eggs or dinner or the farm business is corroborated by other witnesses. And other witnesses actually tend to contradict Morse. (He tells authorities--after Andrew's death--he was going to Swansea about Oxen, but he tells Eddy--before Andrew's death-- he's there to check on Eddy's health and pick up eggs, staying only ten minutes or so. He tells authorities--after Andrew's death--that Andrew asked him back for dinner at noon Thursday, but he suggests to Mrs. Emery-- before Andrew's death is known -- that he's going to New Bedford.)

Back when I wrote my previous post about Morse and Lizzie sleeping on the second floor and Abby cleaning up the guest room the next morning (which was not usually her chore) I started wondering if Abby might have heard something during the night that led her to investigate the guest room in the morning after Morse had left, and if she might have discovered something in the guest room that ultimately resulted in her death.

Morse leaves after breakfast.

Lizzie comes down later.

During Lizzie's last known encounter with Abby, she (Lizzie) has been made aware that Abby has been in the guest room and that she (Abby) is going back there again to finish making the bed. . .

Abby dies first in the guest room.

Some time later after his return from his walk, Andrew dies.

The next we see of Morse at 92 Second Street, he's eating a pear in the back yard, apparently having missed the gathering crowd out front and a man standing just inside the screen door. . .
william

Post by william »

There appears to be a lot of speculation concerning the "sucspicious activities" of Morse, but little to no comment about his motive, means or opportuniy-or is it being implied that he was only involved before or after the actual crime?
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

I don't like Uncle John, the alibi, the missing of the huge crowd of people out of the front, or not hearing the huge crowd if he came from behind..... it's all very strange.

This may be a bit off-topic, but I saw the thread open for Morse, so here goes:

Last night, I recorded a demo cd, and had to travel to CT to record. Well the town/village where the studio is called "Falls River". Now for the scary part; his name is John Morse!!!!!!
WOW - kind of an omen or something? It came out great, though, and I just thought I'd share that creepy connection. He works also part time for Caruso Music in CT.

Ben
Le classe de français cinq a l'ecole Chariho rappèlent la voyage aux Québec. Le 24 avril - 29 2006
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

william @ Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:20 pm wrote:There appears to be a lot of speculation concerning the "sucspicious activities" of Morse, but little to no comment about his motive, means or opportuniy-or is it being implied that he was only involved before or after the actual crime?
Well, I'm just going to throw out an idea. What if Lizzie had been thinking about killing Andrew and Abby but didn't really know for sure how she was going to pull it off. Right before she goes to bed she hears Morse and Andrew get into a heated argument over some property. Morse, like Lizzie, may have begun to fear that Abby was starting to move in and take most if not all of Andrew's wealth. Maybe Morse feared that with Sarah long dead he was now being pushed aside for Abby's relatives. Anyway, Lizzie hears them fight and when Morse comes up stairs to go to bed she goes to him and tells him that maybe working together they can get rid of Abby and Andrew. It's agreed Morse will leave at about 9am but, Lizzie will let him back in later and he can go up kill Abby and then go hide in Emma's room and clean up. He then leaves the house for a short time to do some of the things he said he did. But, he returns much sooner. Again, Lizzie lets him in and he waits and when Andrew returns Morse kills him and hides in the cellar. Lizzie calls for Bridget and right away sends her out of the house. Thus, allowing Morse time to clean up and flee out the back and over the fence. Well, it's a theory. :lol:
Allen

Post by Allen »

william @ Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 am wrote:There appears to be a lot of speculation concerning the "sucspicious activities" of Morse, but little to no comment about his motive, means or opportuniy-or is it being implied that he was only involved before or after the actual crime?
Considering that Morse had what they call an "airtight" alibi, and it was corroborated by the police that he was where he said he was, he had no opportunity. As for motive, I don't see where he had any motive what so ever for killing the Bordens. None. He gained nothing.

I think Andrew Borden was someone he considered a true friend. I find the best evidence of this when he asked that the letter that Andrew wrote to him be treturned, and not to lose it, because it was the last one he ever got from him. This is something a person would say when they care about someone. He had been coming to visit and stay there off and on ever since his sister died. If he had any reason to dislike them, he wouldn't come around. He definitely wouldn't stay there.

The reason I have a hard time believing Morse had anything to do with it is because he had no opportunity, and he had no MOTIVE. So what was his motive? Considering Morse came with the clothes on his back and nothing more, what was there to find in the guestroom? What noise could Abby have heard through two rooms and three closed doors that she could definitely distinguish as coming from the guest room? Is it being implied that Uncle John and Lizzie were sleeping together? I'm more inclined to believe that if Uncle John being there caused the murders in any way, it was something that he did that angered Lizzie, such as going behind her back with Abby and Andrew to "plot" something.

I would think that at least some of his stated purpose for being there would've been corroborated by the letter from Andrew he turned over to authorites to READ. So in a way Andrew did partly corroborate his story.

Hypothetical situation. You come to Borden home on a semi announced visit. You are there concerning many items of business. The man for the farm, the oxen, and one you knew would probably cause unrest with at least one member of the family. Lizzie. Why did Andrew even ask him to help hire a farm hand? Was he in the habit of asking Morse who lived in South Darmouth to help him hire farm hands to work in Swansea? This much was at least in the letter from Andrew that Morse showed to the court. Why did Morse lie about going to Swansea with his niece? Maybe Andrew asked him because Morse was getting ready to purchase it.

Ok so you spend Wednesday night discussing all of the business with Andrew and Abby. Lizzie has been avoiding you since you arrived. You think she is upset because she knows something is going on. You know that Lizzie will probably be very upset when she finds out what everyone is up to. Maybe the paper that everyone thinks Andrew was carrying was the deed.

Lizzie corners Abby in the guestroom and questions her about some of the things she may have heard them talking about the night before. Finding out that her father is going to sell the family farm, or something as equally upsetting to her, she flies into a rage and kills her. When Andrew comes home he has the deed, or some kind of evidence, with him confirming Lizzie's suspicions. This would be enough to send her back into a rage. Maybe she would love to kill Uncle John too, but had no way of knowing for sure when he would come home, and where Bridget would be when he did, or even if anyone else would show up for that matter.

You come back, being totally unaware anything has happened to find Abby and Andrew dead. Now here you are in the middle of a murder investigation in a home you just happened to show up to the night before. You showed up with nothing but the clothes on your back. You may know that you had nothing to do with it, but the police are going to make you suspect number one for the very reason that you just happened to show up the night before. You have an idea who did it. Lizzie. But you won't disclose fully what brought you to Fall River because if Lizzie isn't caught, she may kill again. So you rack your brain and remember every detail of your day that the police could corroborate to at least show that you had nothing to do with the murders because now your freedom is on the line. Is it suspicious that his alibi was so detailed? I don't think so. I'd make mine as detailed as possible as well if there was a chance that I might go to prison for the rest of my life.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Melissa, I agree with your scenario as much as any other possibility at this point. I do not think that John V. Morse killed either Abby or Andrew. But I do think his visit there may be connected to their deaths. I do think parts of his story and some of his activities are suspicious. I think, if nothing else, he had a damned good idea who the killer was, but never disclosed that to the authorities.

As far as the alibi. . . Most law enforcement officials tend to be suspicious when the details of an alibi are too good. A normal person under ordinary circumstances is not going to pay attention to the number of the street car he is riding or the name of the conductor, etc.

While knowing that stuff may, in fact, prove he was on that street car at that time, it also shows that maybe he knew in advance he was going to have to prove he was on that street car at that time. Carefully building an alibi can imply guilty knowledge that (a) something bad had happened or (b) something bad was going to happen.

Abby might have heard, though the door separating her bedroom from Lizzie's, a discussion between Lizzie and Morse about how Andrew had decided to sell Morse the farm instead of deeding it to Abby. Maybe Abby was the angered one who confronted Morse or Lizzie in the guest room the next morning.

Or maybe after Andrew came up and said Morse had retired for the evening, Abby heard a knock at Lizzie's door and/or Lizzie leave her room and come back again. Again Abby might have felt Morse or Lizzie were working some deal with Andrew behind her back.

Or, yes, maybe Uncle John and Lizzie were "an item" and Abby discovered that and threatened to tell Andrew. Morse might have had things going with more than one niece. . .
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's possible Morse did tell Phillips that alibi, but I don't really buy it. The newspapers documented and checked what is known as "The Six Priests" story- and that is probably what Phillips embellished upon- that there were 6 priests on the street car with Morse and that is how he designated what car he took, as to the time. The conductor remembers and knows the time, etc.

It took too long for Morse to get to Dan Emery's place in my opinion. Also, we have been giving Morse the benefit of a possible misprint in his sworn statement when he first says he took a CAR to Emery's.. Later he says he walked. He may have needed that time before he got there- to benefit his timeline- otherwise he could be killing Abby before arriving at the Emery's.

Now, we think he is related to Dan Emery or his wife- but we don't know how. And if they are related, they may have stretched the truth for him. I would think Morse blood was thick in the ways those ties bind.

W don't think Morse died with a lot of money, but there appears to have been something around $9,000 worth of IOU's of which it is said he let lapse a $7,000 note and did not require reimbursement, upon his death.
That's about $125,000 nowadays!
Was he generous after all?
As he grew older, did he not care as much?
It sounds like he made some promises to his niece Anna, which he didn't keep. He may have purposely or mistakenly misrepresented what he was giving her while still alive, merely to keep her solicitous attention.

And he wrote in his will, to make sure any niece named BORDEN was left out! Just more odd Morse behaviour-
Sounds odd to me.
Kat

Post by Kat »

There is the letter in the Knowlton Papers collection from AG Pillsbury to DA Knowlton, offering a suggestion that they also charge Lizzie as accessory.
If she was considered as an accessory by the Attorney General of the State of Massachusetts, then she probably was. This was just at the time of the grand jury hearings.

#HK093
"Letter, typewritten, with comments handwritten in ink.

ATTORNEY GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT,
COMMONWEALTH BUILDING,

Boston, Nov. 21, 1892.
Dear Mr. Attorney:-
As [under the Robinson doctrine]> [this phrase crossed out], I see no possible doubt that the whole transaction can be put in evidence in a trial for the killing of either, I incline, on reflection, toward two indictments, if there are to be any.

Has it ever occurred to you to put in a count or counts as accessory before & after? There is, to be sure, no affirmative evidence, at present, that any other person was concerned, but a great many people believe that she was
in it, but that hers was not the hand that did it. I could easily believe this if there were any evidence of it. Perhaps one indict for killing both & others for killing each will be best of all.

I write these suggestions now as they occur to me, and as you will have time to think of them. I wish the investigation just begun in the other line to be thoroughly, and, if possible, exhaustive, chiefly for the satisfaction of my own mind, as I doubt if it develops anything of consequence for any other purpose.

Very truly yours,
Attorney General.
Hon. H. M. Knowlton"
Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:15 pm wrote: And he wrote in his will, to make sure any niece named BORDEN was left out! Just more odd Morse behaviour-
Sounds odd to me.
He stated that they were not in need of it, "except those named Borden, who are not in need of it." They weren't. They were already rich. He left his estate to the relatives who would be more in need of it. I don't find that odd. I have a sneaking suspicion that had Uncle Morse outlived them, Lizzie and Emma would not have made any provisions for him either.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Radin in his book on page 208, writes that Arthur Phillips wrote in a newspaper article, "that he always suspected Morse of the murders."
--DWilly quoting Radin.

I don't understand why Radin would say this. Phillips goes beyond truth when he claims that Morse's alibi was perfect.
Anyway, thanks for pointing it out, because I just checked the article and Phillips doesn't say that.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Morse did not distribute his assests equally.
He stated that they were not in need of it, "except those named Borden, who are not in need of it." They weren't. They were already rich. He left his estate to the relatives who would be more in need of it. I don't find that odd. I have a sneaking suspicion that had Uncle Morse outlived them, Lizzie and Emma would not have made any provisions for him either.
--Allen

He had a lot of survivors and left his money unequally. I don't know how it could be figured at this late date, which ones were "more in need of it."

Also, I find it Odd that Emma refused her share.

It's like Morse was not allowing the Borden girls to benefit from the sale of his property (which was the share they eventually got- not of his liquid assests) (Rebello, 71-74).
And Lizzie did the same to Emma- said Emma should have had enough from her father, and left her nothing.
This *will-speak* sounds like a decidely odd habit of these 3 people- Morse, Emma and Lizzie.
Morse refuses Emma and Lizzie a share, Emma refuses the share finally secured for her (by her estate manager but does not accept it in her liifetime), and Lizzie refuses Emma a share of her wealth.
Sounds like a Shakespeare tragedy to me!
It could all be an amount of money which either did pass hands, or was promised and never delivered- between these 3 in a conspiracy (from before, during or after or long after the events of August 4th).
_
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

If this has already been posted, I missed it.

The Morse Society is having their next annual convention in Westport, MA--October 20-21, 2006. Uncle John and thus Lizzie, through her mother, are part of the Anthony line of Morses.

http://morsesociety.org/
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Descendants of Benjamin Morse

1 Benjamin Morse
........ 2 Joseph Morse
............ +Mary Tucker
................... 3 William Morse
....................... +Mary Eddy
............................. 4 Joseph Morse
................................. +Sarah Vinnicum
........................................ 5 Anthony Morse 1800 - 1878
............................................ +Rhody Morrison - 1843
.................................................. 6 John Vinnicum Morse 1833 - 1912
.................................................. 6 Sarah Anthony Morse 1823 - 1863
...................................................... +Andrew Jackson Borden 1822 - 1892
............................................................. 7 Emma Lenore Borden 1851 - 1927
............................................................. 7 Alice Esther Borden 1856 - 1858
............................................................. 7 Lizzie Andrew Borden 1860 - 1927
.................................................. 6 Unknown Morse
.................................................. 6 Hannah M. Morse
.................................................. 6 Frederick A. Morse
.................................................. 6 William B. Morse
............................................................. 7 Anna E. Morse
............................................................. 7 John Morse
............................................................. 7 Bert Morse
............................................................. 7 George Morse
............................................................. 7 William Morse
............................................................. 7 Andrew Morse
................................................................. +Unknown
........................................................................ 8 Unknown Morse
........................................................................ 8 Unknown Morse
............................................................. 7 Susie Morse
................................................................. +Unknown Booth
........................................................................ 8 Unknown Son Booth
.................................................. 6 Mary Louisa Morse
...................................................... +Joseph L. Morse, Sr.
............................................................. 7 Ora E. Morse
............................................................. 7 Joseph Luther Morse
.................................................. 6 Orin F. Morse
.................................................. 6 Selecta Richmond Morse
...................................................... +Philip Shaw, Jr.
............................................................. 7 Amy Shaw
................................................................. +Unknown Andrews
............................................................. 7 Selecta M. Shaw
................................................................. +Unknown Bee
............................................................. 7 Sarah Shaw
................................................................. +Unknown England
............................................................. 7 Bird Shaw
................................................................. +Unknown Fairchild
............................................................. 7 Eva M. Shaw
................................................................. +Unknown Roe
............................................................. 7 Henry L. Shaw
............................................................. 7 John W. Shaw
.................................................. 6 Fernando W. Morse
...................................................... +Margaret Lucinda Louisa Graves
............................................................. 7 Annie A. Morse
................................................................. +Unknown Lancaster
............................................................. 7 Edith M. Morse
................................................................. +Unknown Lancaster
........................................ *2nd Wife of Anthony Morse:
............................................ +Hanna Chase Almy
.................................................. 6 Arabella F. Morse
...................................................... +Unknown Davidson
.................................................. 6 Alvarado K. Morse
.................................................. 6 Sarah M. Morse 1856 -
........................................ 5 Charles Morse

NB: I'm not back to the original Anthony Morse yet.

I started working on getting my Morses in order last night, and got into the quagmire of Anna E. Morse. Is she the daughter of Mary Louisa (Morse) Morse and her husband, Joseph L. Morse, Sr.? Or is she the daughter of William B. Morse, as listed in Uncle John's will? She seems to be a bit of a mystery. Some years back, I read something about her becoming a teacher, and that she had died here in Massachusetts, but the old Internet link to the source is no longer working.

And who the heck are the Emerys? For years, I thought Daniel Emery was the nephew. Last night, I was that it was Joseph Luther Morse, Anna E.'s brother?

Is the Emery family even related to the Morses? I hit a brick-wall last night looking for a connection between Emery and Morse.

Lastly, does anyone have more info on Rhody Morrison. I read that she was living in Swansea when she married Anthony Morse, but another source suggested that she was originally from Maine. Has any of this been clarified? I didn't get very far searching the archives.

The most curious recent thing I've found was a Bowen currently searching for her Morse roots in the Anthony Morse line. Isn't that a giggle! :roll:

I haven't got the time to chase the Bowen documentation, and just trying to organize the Morse stuff for my own reference is confusing me. Ouch!
Kat

Post by Kat »

An indispensible issue:

The Hatchet- Journal of Lizzie Borden Studies
June/July 2004
Vol. 1, Issue 3
"The Elusive John Morse" by Joe Carlson
pg. 12.

"The Descendents of Anthony Morse" by Joe Carlson
pg. 20.

"Hastings, Iowa" by Audrey Martin
pg. 52.

Big Anthony Morse tree. You'll love it.

I found a family member's notation of Dan Emery but it wasn't documented in any way. That was in Terence's stuff.
I had heard of him called a "cousin."
Good luck with Dan Emery! My guess is you might find him related thru his wife.

I believe Anna is out of Minneapolis, so that would make her daughter of Wm. Bradford, tho others are not so sure. She's the one who contested John's will and sued her own Uncle, George Shaw.

As a Morse aid: Len always tells me to look at the Mason Family.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Kat--how do I get that edition of the Hatchet? I was looking on Lulu.com but don't see back editions. I haven't been a member long enough to have June/July 2004.
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.hatchetonline.com/HatchetOnl ... ptions.htm

Here is the single issue info.

SINGLE ISSUE PRICE (on CD-ROM only): $8.00

SINGLE ISSUE PRICE PRINT COPY THROUGH LULU.COM: $10.00

SINGLE ISSUE PRICE (download only): $8.00

We accept money orders and personal checks (US Dollars) at:

The Hatchet
P.O. Box 540052
Orlando, FL 32854-0052
USA

If sending payment by mail, you must include your name, address, email address, and phone number.

For secure online credit card orders and e-checks, we use PayPal.com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
diana

Post by diana »

I couldn't find back issue info on the Lulu.com site either.

Are all the back issues of The Hatchet available in hard copy through them -- or just the last few?
Kat

Post by Kat »

queries@lizzieandrewborden.com
I think you have to ask Stef
But thank you for your interest.
I'm not totally conversant with subscription info and do not wish to give wrong info. :rendeer:
Allen

Post by Allen »

FairhavenGuy @ Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:59 pm wrote:
I just read something in Bridget's trial testimony that made me think that Morse might not have been breaking the habit of sleeping in the attic. I think he had been sleeping in the attic on his visits occassionally, but I think he may have slept in the guestroom before that as well.

Trial testimony of Bridget Sullivan:

Q. Do you know who took charge of the room in the front part of the house?
A. Well, when Miss Emma was home she done it. When Mr. Morse was there or when Mrs. Borden had any friends there, I guess she done it or helped do it, that is, as far as I can remember.

Q. This is the front chamber you are talking about?
A. Yes, sir.

I can think of no other reason that Abby would clean the guestroom when John Morse was there unless he was actually sleeping and staying in it.But what I find odd is that Bridget says that when Emma was home she cleaned the guestroom. But when Morse was there, she states that Abby cleaned or helped to clean that particular room. Why would Abby feel the need to clean up after Morse? Why didn't Emma just continue to clean it?
Kat

Post by Kat »

This comes just before your selection and I think adds to the idea of where Morse slept:
A. Yes, sir, two rooms. The room next to it had one window in it, and two windows leads out in the back yard. [Describing the back attic rooms].

Q. Do you know whether your room is the room next to Mrs. Churchill's house or next to Mrs. Kelly's house?
A. Next to Mrs. Kelly's house.

Q. Who occupied the other room, if any one? Did any one?
A. No, sir, excepting when the hired man slept there. Sometimes Mr. Morse slept there.

--I think Morse slept in the attic when the guest room was in use for other guests, or for sewing or for when it was in use as a sitting room- when the girls had casual company.
He probably also used the attic room when he was going to stay any length of time.
Maybe Abby helped clean that guest room after Morse came because the girls might put on best sheets or something and she preferred second-best?
It might have been a sort of small stuggle to control that room. Abby did keep her things in there and it sounds like the girls sort of resented that. Abby helping *clean* in there might have kept her partial claim on that room.
A *territorial* thing.
Who cleaned his attic room?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Kat @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:26 am wrote:Who cleaned his attic room?
Reading your post I was just about to ask that same question.

I wonder if it made any difference whether Morse or one of the farm hands slept over. ie: Abby cleaning up after Morse and Bridget after the farm hand.

I can see Emma helping but not Lizzie.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Why was Abby keeping anything in that guest room? Abby had her own bedroom. Didn't she also have that little room where she kept her jewelry? When I went to the house in mid August I went upstairs to the attic and I noticed it was fairly big. Now, it's my understanding some changes have been made. For example, they made another bedroom up there. I think they call it the Robinson room or something. Anyway, my point is the attic was pretty big. You had Bridget's room. The tiny room Morse slept in and all that other room. I suppose they kept a lot of junk up there but still it seems Abby had other places she could keep her things. So, why bother the "girls"?

Another question: What out of town guests would Abby be having?

I wonder if Emma thought Uncle Morse was just to much of a slob to clean up after?
Allen

Post by Allen »

DWilly @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:27 am wrote:
I'm not sure of other guests Abby may have boarded in the guestroom but I do believe that when the dressmaker was there while they were having their dresses made, she was a guest of the house during that time. I am unsure as to the length of her stay, I'll have to do a little checking around and see if I can find that out. But I am thinking it was something in the neighborhood of two weeks. She would more than likely have occupied the guestroom, as I can't think that they would put her up in the attic. I also believe she would've been considered a guest of the mistress of the house, which would be Abby.

I think that Miss Russell also might have stayed at the house.
Kat

Post by Kat »

If she was local, why would she stay there?
I just read Raymonds statements at the trial and she doesn't say she lived there during any time she was working there.
Is the info somewhere else?

The same goes for Alice.
I think Mrs. Tripp stayed there the previous summer while the elder Bordens were at Swanzy?
________

That Abby kept her things in the guest room has been overlooked somewhat when the question arises why did Abby go in that room.
Lizzie at her inquest (64) states:

Q. Can you think of anything she could be doing in the spare room?
A. Yes sir. I know what she used to do sometimes. She kept her best cape she wore on the street in there, and she used occasionally to go up there to get it and to take it into her room. She kept a great deal in the guest room drawers; she used to go up there and get things and put things; she used those drawers for her own use.
Allen

Post by Allen »

DWilly @ Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:27 am wrote:Why was Abby keeping anything in that guest room? Abby had her own bedroom. Didn't she also have that little room where she kept her jewelry? When I went to the house in mid August I went upstairs to the attic and I noticed it was fairly big. Now, it's my understanding some changes have been made. For example, they made another bedroom up there. I think they call it the Robinson room or something. Anyway, my point is the attic was pretty big. You had Bridget's room. The tiny room Morse slept in and all that other room. I suppose they kept a lot of junk up there but still it seems Abby had other places she could keep her things. So, why bother the "girls"?

I wonder if Emma thought Uncle Morse was just to much of a slob to clean up after?
Well I can understand why Abby might have been keeping things in that room. After all, it was Abby's home. She was the mistress of the house, whether she 'reigned supreme' in the eyes of the girls or not. I know in my home I have my things spread from one end of the house to the other, I do not just confine it to one or two areas of the house. The whole house, except for the bedrooms of my children, is my area and I have things everywhere.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Mary Raymond's trial testimony may have caused the confusion as to whether she stayed at the Borden house, page 1577:

"Q. Do you remember at that time making a Bedford cord dress?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Before I pass to that I will ask you what time you went there?
A. In May.
Q. What time in May?
A. The first week in May. I was there three weeks."

I don't think she was "there" in the sense of staying over at nights. She lived at 31 Franklin St., which was near the Central Congregational Church, within walking distance of the Borden house.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Kat @ Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:25 am wrote: That Abby kept her things in the guest room has been overlooked somewhat when the question arises why did Abby go in that room.
Lizzie at her inquest (64) states:

Q. Can you think of anything she could be doing in the spare room?
A. Yes sir. I know what she used to do sometimes. She kept her best cape she wore on the street in there, and she used occasionally to go up there to get it and to take it into her room. She kept a great deal in the guest room drawers; she used to go up there and get things and put things; she used those drawers for her own use.
So, if Abby wanted her "best cape" she'd get dressed in her room, walk down a flight of stairs, cross the length of the house, then go up another flight of stairs to get the cape. Then walk back down the stairs, back across the house and up another flight of stairs back to her room. Why not just keep it in her room in the first place? Didn't Abby have another small room too? How much junk did she have? Maybe old Abby just like to check up on the girls.