The December Hatchet is Online!

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

The December Hatchet is Online!

Post by Stefani »

The December 2005 issue of The Hatchet: Journal of Lizzie Borden Studies has been placed online for your reading pleasure. If your web browser does not load the new page, don't forget to hit your browser's refresh button to make it seek out the new uploaded version of the web site.

http://www.hatchetonline.com/HatchetOnline/index.htm

For those who are not subscribers and would like to order a print copy, you cand do so through our publishing partner LuLu.com at
http://www.lulu.com/PearTreePress

If you are a subscriber who has forgotten or misplaced your login info, please email me at hatchetonline@cfl.rr.com and I will resend it to you. Also, if you encounter any downloading problems, let me know and I can send you the magazine on disk instead.

Happy reading!

Stefani Koorey
editor/publisher
PearTree Press

THANKS TO MARK AMARANTES for the great cover image! :salut:

Allen

Post by Allen »

It's a great issue! I was a little confused as to the pictures of 'the chair', as it was referred to. I didn't see a chair like the one Lizzie is standing behind in the pictures. Am I missing something?
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I look forward to reading this issue ! If we are a subscriber and we want to order from Lulu...do we just go to that site and order ? Is there a Lulu price difference for members ?

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Yes. Log in for the info on The Hatchet site. You will see the discount.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks Stef !

I just placed my order. I don't know Why my mailman can't just walk it over here right this minute. LOL...it said I might not get it before Christmas. This will be my first Lulu copy. I am sure it will be quite lovely. I just wish I could have it RIGHT NOW !

Tracy...
augusta

Post by augusta »

Allen & All Hatchet Readers - I made a mistake about the chair in the article "New Lizzie Finds!" As seen in the photo of Wm. King Covell I in his rocking chair on the porch of the Farewell Street house, the chairs I photographed at the Washington Street house are indeed a match to the chair on the porch. However, it is not the chair Lizzie stood behind in the famed photo.

I sincerely apologize for this error, and I hope that those in the Lizzie world will be forgiving. It was not done purposely.

I take full responsibility for it, and I will submit a retraction for the next issue. - Sherry Chapman
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, the forks are definitely cool and so are the homes and the Covell patriarch photo and that chair he's sitting in is beautiful!

Everyone is wrong in print at some time or other, right? :batman:
And you write so well! Everyone loves your stuff!
augusta

Post by augusta »

:peanut12: Thank you, Kat. What a sweet, sweet post.

The cover is fabulous! Great job, as always, Mark! Everything looks great. It's going to be hard to decide what to read first, so I think I'll start at the beginning. I really like those little newspaper articles about Lizzie put here and there, and the miscellaneous paragraphs of news. The whole magazine is just gorgeous.

I purchased the last two issues in hard copy from Lulu.com. They are good. I'll be ordering this issue from them, too.

Great job, Stef; Harry and Kat! Every issue is soooooo good.
Susan

Post by Susan »

I concur, I just love your pieces in The Hatchet, Augusta. I recall reading something about those dessert forks somewhere before, but, have never seen a picture of them, that is too cool! Something that Lizzie hand selected for a gift. Do the current owners of the house still possibly have the porch chairs or chair that Lizzie posed with? Could be a new excuse to travel to Fall River. :wink:

As per usual, I devoured the newest edition. I always feel like Oliver Twist at the end of each, "Please, Sir," (Or in this case, Ma'am) I want some more." Another great edition, from Kat's wonderful story on down to Dear Abby, great work gang! :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
john

Post by john »

What a beautiful cover!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

My lulu just arrived today ! It is wonderful ! I will order ths way henceforth. The only bad part is having to wait 10 days. But, at least I have it now. Thanks for the lulu option Stef !

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

YAY! I'm getting mine tomorrow!! :smile:
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Sherry, dear, I was so glad to just read your explanantion. I sat on the subway reading the new issue thinking "Golly gee - it don't LOOK like that chair!"

The cover photo is genius, genius, genius! I admit that I have to read the very erudite Holba articles more than once to grasp them, and I liked Eugene's appreciation of that Borden documentary. Sherry's conception of Bridget in the Borden kitchen is thoroughly charming. I'm just transported whenever I have a copy of The Hatchet in my hands.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Kinda like "takin' a trip and never leavin' the farm". THE HATCHET is definitely a great place to visit.

Tracy...
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

This issue wasn't that great, but the cover was.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Nancy, you must have read a different issue than the rest of us. What "wasn't that great" about it ???

Tracy...
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

It just wasn't the best issue ever, trying to get my
posts on board here, don't know how many I need.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I have NO complaints about this latest issue. I guess I am missing your point when you say it wasn't the best issue ever, Nancy. Maybe I would if you gave some specifics. Here are my specifics as to why it IS GREAT:

I think each article is well written and informative. Dr. Holba's piece on Porter's book was great. I found it very interesting how she separated and explained the factual flaws and factoids of Porter's version of what happened.

Ms. Chapman's article on her conversation with Ms. Anne Ramsey Cuvelier was a delightful 'New Lizzie Find'. I loved her 'Bridget's Kitchen' ! And then there is Dear Abby...I love it !

Mr. Walters...our own Doug...is very entertaining, interesting, and informed writer.

Ms. Naugle's story on the Porteguese is very enlightening. Her sonnets are wonderful.

The article by Ms. Ross makes me want to go back and reread Shirley Jackson. I definitely want to take a look at 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle'.

I enjoyed Eugene's take on 'A Woman Accused'.

Denise Noe always presents us with nice work. I like the animal take this time. Her poetry is great too.

Kat's piece on Borden travels connected to Chicago was very informative and gave me much new information.

THANK YOU ALL FOR A GREAT...(AS USUAL !) HATCHET !!!

Tracy...

P.S. I HIGHLY recommend using the Lulu option !
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

What I've read so far is pretty good, though I do get bothered when I have to look up a word to understand the title of a piece. (Especially when there are much less obscure words with close enough meaning.)

I'm always thankful for a couple of online friends who gave my Hatchet subscription as a birthday present. :grin:
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I had to look up that word too, Chris...wasn't familiar with it. Now I know.

Tracy...
sguthmann

Post by sguthmann »

is there a way for one to subscribe so that they might get all future issues in print, instead of ordering old issues? i've failed to find anything in the information on the website. am i missing something?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

sguthmann, when you subscribe, you certainly go from the current issue foward.

I think, though, you can also use it toward some back issues, too.

If you wait a few minutes, somebody who really knows what they're talking about will come along and explain.

Tracy, let me know the next time you use it in conversation. . .
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes sguthmann...what Chris says.

When you subscribe...you get all the issues for the year to come. If I am thinking right, whenever you sign up for the subscription, you get all the issues for that year. Generally the subscription year starts with the February issue. But now that they will be coming out quaterly, it may now start in March. If you start your subscription later in the year, I believe you still get all the issues for that year.

If you have other questions I am sure Stef would gladly answer them.

Tracy...

P.S. Chris...I will.
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Nancy, I think some issues are better than others, of course. Since this is a discussion board, after all, why not be more specific about what didn't you enjoy? That would be more interesting than just saying "It wasn't great."
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thank you, Bob G., for your kind words re the last issue. I love doing Bridget's Kitchen. They are authentic old Irish recipes. The Hatchet takes me back in time, too and I love it.

Maybe Nancie doesn't want to be specific about her opinion on the current issue so she does not hurt someone's feelings?

I meant to comment on Mary Naugle. Her song on Lizzie based on "Mona Lisa" was sooooo good!

I don't think there has been a piece in The Hatchet that I haven't liked. And it keeps growing and getting even better.

Tracie brings up a good point: THANK YOU, STEF, for making hard copies available at a reasonable price thru Lulu.com.

Are they going to be doing the first two issues of 2005? I don't have hard copies of those and would like them.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Sorry for not replying sooner to your question about ordering hard copies as a subscription---I have run the numbers a dozen times and it isn't cost efficient for me to offer a hard copy subscription. In order to do so I would have to purchase the hard copies from LuLu and then resell them to you, but the postage alone in mailing them out is almost $4.00 per issue, which would make the subscription price for a year of hard copies mailed from me to be something close to $50! I don't think that is a good price, do you?

Now you can always order the issues one at a time through LuLu and NOT subscribe to the PDF version as a regular internet subscription. Your purchases would be through LuLu solely as they are a print on demand publisher.

Next year's internet subscription will be less money, and a good price at $20 for all four issues online. Renewals will not go in the mail until January as the first issue for next year is due out February 4th.

If I can get my marketing act together I will start to sell advertising which will cut the production costs down to hopefully nothing, thereby making a hard published copy a much doable thing. It will have to be in 2007, however, as we are not yet set up for this process.

Eventually, I will be putting all the issues (past ones) up for print on LuLu. There is a conversion issue that I have to tackle as the online versions of the magazine only needed photos to have 72 dpi, while the print versions all must be at 300dpi. Plus the old issues are in color and the new one (to keep the cost down at LuLu) are in black and white.

I might also put them all out in one volume, to save costs to the consumer, but then lose the color covers. In other words, a reformating of the content is going to happen regardless. And all that takes time. I wish there were three of me---then I could get all the work done sooner!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Nancy @ Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:54 pm wrote:This issue wasn't that great, but the cover was.
I agree that the cover was stunning, thanks to super photographer Mark A.

Nancy, you wrote me a long time ago about writing a piece for the magazine. I wrote you back twice but received no reply. How about making the magazine better by contributing to it! :grin:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks for the info Stef ! I did like the color copies before, but the Lulu copy is so great. I guess I like the idea of having options...by subscribing to the .pdf version, plus ordering through Lulu. You are so good to us ! THANKS !!

Tracy...
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Now that finals and Christmas are over, I finally found time to read the December Hatchet. I especially appreciated the article on Henry Trickey.

Today as I played on the Internet, I found a genealogy site on which a Sarah Trickey of the New Hampshire Trickeys married a Leighton of New Hampshire (of whom one branch went to Maine--as in Helen Leighton?). Unbelievable as it sounds, this poor Leighton male had the first name of Hatevil.

I also came across the interesting story of Dr. Graves and the New Year's whiskey, which was covered by Trickey and McHenry the year before the Borden murders:
The Infamous Dr. Graves
"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."

--Henry David Thoreau

Poison as a means of murder has long been considered the prerogative of the ladies. For centuries--particularly before tests to develop the presence of arsenic--a tip from a tiny bottle into the unfortunate's food or drink was an amoral woman's quick substitute for divorce proceedings or other protracted unpleasantness. But a man, a poisoner? Hard to imagine, historically speaking, unless the gentleman in question had ready access to an illicit substance (say a druggist or a doctor) and not-so-easy access to the victim.

Generally, it was women who killed with poison, not men. The exception that proves the rule: Thomas Thatcher Graves, M.D. One of the most shocking and widely covered murder trials of the late nineteenth century was the case of the unfortunately named Dr. Graves. A year before Lizzie Borden took an axe to her folks (alright, allegedly took an axe), Dr. Graves went on trial for the murder of one of his wealthy patients. Did the widely disseminated coverage of the Graves case spark ideas in Fall River? But I digress...

T. Thatcher Graves (1841-1893) was a descendant of a very prominent New England family and lived in Providence, Rhode Island. He served in the Union army as an aide-de-camp of General Weitzel and wrote a now-famous essay on President Lincoln's triumphant entry into the defeated southern city of Richmond, Virginia, that appears in comprehensive collections of Civil war memoirs. Shortly after the war, he married his first and only wife, Emma. They had no children. He became a doctor as well as a lawyer.

Enter Mrs. Barnaby. She apparently became acquainted with Dr. Graves as a patient. At one point, she became a widow. Dr. Graves learned that her wealthy husband had left her a pittance in his will, and he urged Mrs. Barnaby to challenge her husband's will (which would seem to your correspondent to have been excellent advice; under American law as it has existed for centuries, a wife who was omitted or short-changed in her husband's will had the absolute right to demand a minimum allotment, often a third of the estate; this right to elect against your husband's will is known as the dowry right). Dr. Graves referred his patient to a friend of his by the name of Colonel Daniel Ballou, also a lawyer. Ballou secured a $105,000 settlement for the widow, kept $10,000 for his fee, and gave Graves $500 for the referral.

Dr. Graves then became deeply enmeshed in Mrs. Barnaby's financial affairs, now that she had considerable assets in which he could enmesh himself. He told her what to do with her money and how to do it. He became a beneficiary of her new will. When she balked at his control, he threatened to put her in an asylum or have a guardian appointed over her.

And then she was murdered.

Her killer managed it by mailing her a bottle of whisky laced with arsenic of potassium while she was on vacation in Denver in April 1891. The bottle was accompanied by an anonymous greeting: "Wish You a Happy new Year. Please accept this fine old whiskey from your friends in the woods." She took a sip and declared it "poor stuff" but drank it anyway, then died hours later in agony.

Dr. Graves learned of her death; promptly began bad-mouthing her to everyone within earshot (declaring her an adulteress, a drunk, and a lesbian, among other things), and went to Denver and took possession of her body. He took Mrs. Barnaby's corpse back to Providence and promptly began withdrawing money from her accounts.

Needless to say, he was accused of the murder and put on trial in Denver, where the death occurred. Dr. Graves protested that the trial was a sham and that the prosecutor had it out for him. Regardless, the circumstantial evidence against him was unimpeachable, the handwriting on the bottle looked like his, and he was convicted in January 1892 of first-degree murder and sentenced to hang.

There's a fascinating footnote to the Graves trial for the well read true-crime aficionado. Anyone familiar with the Lizzie Borden case will recognize the names Henry G. Trickey and Edwin McHenry. Both worked up the case against Dr. Graves and testified against him on minor points at the trial. Trickey also told the jury about the disparaging remarks Dr. Graves made about his dead patient. Those who know the names will have an opinion on the credibility of their testimony.
For his part, Dr. Graves was shocked by the verdict. He was immediately escorted into custody by a deputy sheriff named Wilson who would walk away from the event with an interesting tale. It seems Dr. Graves, still reeling from the conviction, asked the deputy about the chances of a successful appeal; the deputy declared they were slim and it would be best for the defendant if he confessed and begged for clemency. At that point, per the deputy, Dr. Graves declared, "Ballou has brought me to the gallows. I know I am going to my death place... Ballou was worse than I am; worse than I am, Mr. Wilson; twice as bad."

He was thrown in the Colorado State Prison. While awaiting his fate, he wrote a prison memoir and essays protesting his innocence. Then there was another twist in the tale--the Supreme Court of Colorado reversed Dr. Graves' conviction and ordered a new trial.

But Dr. Graves was not up to a second trial. While awaiting the new proceeding, he killed himself in fall 1893 in prison. He left a suicide note (dated months before the acutal event) to the Denver coroner in which he said: "Dear Sir:--Please don't hold an autopsy on my remains. The cause of death may be rendered as follows: Died from persecution. Worn out. Exhausted. Yours respectfully, T.Thatcher Graves, M.D." A second letter to the public protested his innocence.

For years there were rumors that Dr. Graves did not actually die, and when his coffin was shipped home to New England, it contained a log.

Unfortunately, it appears that the case has been largely ignored by modern writers. The only publication of relatively recent vintage on the subject is A Revolting Transaction by Conrad Barnaby (Arbor House, 1983), which has proven impossible to find. Ah, well, the old accounts have more flavor anyway.

Update, 7/6/05: I received an intriguing comment on the subject of Dr. Graves from one "DP," which is so illuminating that it merits repeating wholesale herein:

A few years back I discovered the Graves story while in the Adriondacks in upstate New York (where Doctor Graves first met Mrs. Barnaby socially at the Prospect House in Blue Mountain Lake) and pursued it back in my home town of Denver. I must say that my own opinion, after reading quite a lot, including hundreds of newspaper articles, many books, and the Colorado Appellate Court decision, is that Dr. Graves was as likely not guilty as guilty. We'll never know, of course, but to say that the circumstantial evidence was 'unimpeachable' is uninformed. I also was in contact with Barnaby Conrad who wrote A Revolting Transaction; he is the victim's grandson and did not seem too convinced of Dr. Graves' guilt either. An interesting sidenote is that he (Mr. Conrad) is married to a woman who is directly related to the Fall River Bordens, surely making them the most prominent historical couple of 1890's U.S. murder trials anyplace. That's my two cents on this very fascinating episode.

Very interesting. Though I do stand by my remark that the circumstances were unimpeachable; that is the difficulty for a defendant facing a purely circumstantial case. I have invited the commenter to elaborate, and I certainly hope s/he is working on an updated examination of the fascinating case of Dr. Graves.
from http://laurajames.typepad.com/clews/his ... index.html
augusta

Post by augusta »

NBCatLover - I have the book "A Revolting Transaction". If one of you can't find it elsewhere, PM me and you can borrow it if you want to.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Putting all the Hatchets in one volume is a great idea. All of your ideas about the look, etc., of the magazine are great, Stef. If we have to go to black and white to get a reasonably priced copy from Lulu.com, I won't complain. I received my December issue earlier, and it's just fine. I think I would miss the wonderful color covers, tho. But again, you have to do what's the all-around best thing to do.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think the covers will always be in color.