Those Moth Eaten Furs...

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Allen

Those Moth Eaten Furs...

Post by Allen »

I stumbled across this on the internet while I was actually looking for something else. After reading it, I believe there are many reasons cited that could explain why Emma went to all the trouble of storing her furs in Boston, instead of in her own home. In this way they could be properly looked after so that they did not become infested with moths, they could be properly cleaned, and she wouldn't have to take care of it herself. She could have someone else do it, and why not she had the money? There were companies that specialized in caring for clothing such as furs.

This article goes into detail about how to protect textiles from clothes moths, explains how they are best stored, and how they should be properly cleaned. There are instructions for how to remove different stains using different cleaning methods. There is an abundance of information which I did not include below, but by clicking on the link provided you can read the entire article. It also states that one of the best ways to take out a blood stain is to use iodide of potassium, which is what Professor Wood states he used on at least one of the hatchets. This is what I was originally searching for when I found this article.

The Care Of Textiles

( Originally Published Early 1900's )

Protection from insects.-All textiles are subject to attacks by insect or other living organisms, commonly called pests, the particular variety depending upon the given textile. As we have already seen, mildew attacks cotton and linen. Mildew is similar in nature to molds, several of which attack not only vegetable fibers but also wool and silk. Housewives of the past kept insects out of their linen chests by using aromatic oils or essences, such as cloves, tobacco leaves, camphor, cedar sprigs, wintergreen, and so on. This practice had some value but these aromatic substances simply acted as deterrents. They by no means prevented all depredations. There is only one certain preventive and that is to keep the textile goods where insects cannot get at them. Above all, textile goods should be frequently looked over, aired, and dusted, so as to prevent anything that does attack them from getting a very long start.

-------------------------------------------

"The destructive work of the larvae of the small moths commonly known as clothes moths, and also as carpet moths, fur moths, etc., in woolen fabrics, fur and similar material during the warm months of summer in the North, and in the South at any season, is an altogether too common experience. The preference they so often show for woolen or fur garments gives these insects a much more general interest than is perhaps true of any other household pest.

---------------------------------------------------

Cold storage.-The best method of protection, and the one now commonly adopted by dealers in carpets, furs, etc., is cold storage. The most economical degree of cold to be used as a protection from clothes moths and allied insects destructive to woolens and furs has been definitely determined by the careful experiments carried out at the instance of Dr. Howard by Dr. Albert M. Read, manager of a large storage warehouse company in Washington, D. C. These experiments demonstrated that a temperature maintained at 4o degrees Fahrenheit renders the larval or other stages of these insects dormant and is thoroughly effective: The larvae, however, are able to stand a steady temperature as low as 18 degrees Fahrenheit without apparently experiencing any ill results. Dr. Read's experiments have extended over two years, and his later results as reported by Dr. Howard are very interesting. They have demonstrated that while a temperature kept uniformly at 18 degrees Fahrenheit will not destroy the larvae of Tineola bisellinella or of the black carpet beetle (Attagenus piceus), an alternation of a low temperature with a comparatively high one invariably results in the death of the larvae of these two insects. For example, if larvae of either which have been kept at a temperature of 18 degrees Fahrenheit are removed to a temperature of 4o degrees to 5o degrees Fahrenheit, they will become slightly active and, when returned to the lower temperature and kept there for a little time, will not revive upon a retransfer to the warmer temperature.

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles04/textiles23.shtml
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good stuff, Melissa, very interesting.

I wonder if Emma had furs when she lived at 92 Second St. We know that Lizzie had a sealskin cape at the time, apparently a gift from her father. Pearson, in his Trial of Lizzie Borden, (p5) has this:

"... Mr Borden, at one time, had kept a horse and buggy---the contemporary equivalent of a Ford car---and he had presented at least one of his daughters (the younger) with a diamond ring and a sealskin coat or cape. Moreover, she had been able to take a long holiday in Europe, and that, in 1890, was not the common occurrence it is today."

This sealskin was probably the same one she wanted the Prussic acid for.
I can't believe Lizzie was getting all these goodies and Emma was left empty handed.

Apparently Lizzie liked sealskin. In Edward Rowe Snow's book "Boston Bay Mysteries and Other Tales" he has a chapter on the Borden case. In it he mentions Lizzie's visit to Tilden-Thurber (p250):

"... Before anyone else entered the gallery Addie Smith noticed that two porcelain paintings – one large and one small – were missing from the stand where they had been displayed. Addie also recalled that Miss Borden had been wearing a voluminous sealskin coat. ..."
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Harry

Post by Harry »

Also found this in Lizzie's Inquest testimony (p91).

"Q. Have you sealskin sacques?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Where are they?
A. Hanging in a large white bag in the attic, each one separate.
Q. Put away for the summer?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Do you ever use prussic acid on your sacques?
A. Acid? No, sir, I don't use anything on them."

So Lizzie had more than one.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Harry @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:10 am wrote:.
I can't believe Lizzie was getting all these goodies and Emma was left empty handed.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Emma. I think she rather enjoyed being the long suffering older sister. Classic passive/aggressive that Emma. Emma reminds me of those guys you read about in the paper who are described as being so nice and quiet and then you find out they killed 5 people or something.

As for Lizzie, I can imagine Lizzie was pretty demanding and everyone in the house tried to calm her down. Emma gave Lizzie her room even though she was older, Andrew bought her expensive gifts etc.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I think Lizzie could be a terror at certain times.

Here's an interesting article on the care of furs:

http://ask.yahoo.com/20021114.html
Allen

Post by Allen »

Thanks for the great link Harry. :smile: They've pelted people with marshmellows ? :scratch: I don't see how that connection was made unless the point would be to smash the marshmellows into the fur. But even at that I don't see how anyone would think to do that.

I believe Lizzie could be a terror when she didn't get her way.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
RayS

Post by RayS »

I was going to suggest this as a new topic.
We are not living in the 1890s. But the ladies here can call a local furrier and ask about "an old fur stole that was inherited". Say there was some bare patches, and ask if this was due to moths. Then ask if there are any furs that are moth-proof. Say you read that sealskin is naturally moth proof.

I wonder is any animal product is safe from moths or other bugs? I once read that mice can chew on a person't hair, and cockroaches will eat eyebrows. But I have no direct experiences.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks for the info, Melissa! I had a question about just this not too long ago, why it was more advantageous to store a fur at the furriers vs. at home. Apparently there is another reason for the cold storage of furs:

"Heat is a fur’s worst enemy (it dries and cracks the pelts). It is vital to give furs a “summer vacation” by putting them in a cold storage vault.

Q: Why is it advisable to keep my fur garment in cold storage during the summer months?
A: The leather or hide of a fur is the most perishable part of the garment. Exposure to heat and humidity will quickly oxidize the oil that is in the leather and diminish its pliability. Fur bearing leather is different from conventional leather and cannot be reconditioned. Once it begins to lose the natural oils through oxidation, the cellular structure collapses and the leather turns into a paper-like material. Once the process begins, there’s no way to reverse it. By having your garment cleaned and glazed at the end of the season and using cold storage until you are ready to wear it again, you will protect and prolong the life of your fur for the rest of its natural life."

And one for Lizzie herself:

"Never moth-proof your garment or use insecticides or sprays on the fur."

From this site:

http://www.bondfurs.com/services.htm
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Allen

Post by Allen »

Susan @ Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:35 pm wrote:
And one for Lizzie herself:

"Never moth-proof your garment or use insecticides or sprays on the fur."

From this site:

http://www.bondfurs.com/services.htm
:lol: Thanks for the link and the information Susan.