Bridget's last name

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

Bridget's last name

Post by snokkums »

I am confused on Bridgets last name. One the show New England's most haunted, they did a piece on Lizzie Borden. In that piece, they mentioned the maid Bridget, but they gave her last name as Kelly. I thought her last name was Sullivan. Or is that her married name?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Ad

Post by Ad »

Snokkums,
Bridget’s last name was Sullivan. The Kelly name comes from the neighbours on the south side of the Borden house; a Dr. Kelly.

Bridget stopped to talk to “the Kelly girl” while she was washing the windows on the day of the murders.

It appears that the New England's most haunted show was misinformed.
Nice catch Snokkums!!!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

It's a catch which has been caught before. We have had several discussons about the Haunted New England show.

Snok, maybe you just forgot about this one. It's ok. Here's a link for the discussion from last fall when you and others talked about this. Hope it helps.
viewtopic.php?t=1380&highlight=haunted

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Here's another link to try. I did a forum search for "haunted" and it brought up this:
search.php

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I thought I was having an episode of Deja Vu. :roll:

You guys who do these *searches* are pretty good!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Snok...

You even posted in one of the earlier threads on this same topic! Are you forgetful?
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Audrey @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:06 pm wrote:Snok...

You even posted in one of the earlier threads on this same topic! Are you forgetful?

Another sign of old age? Who am I? Where am I? Why am I out in the middle of the street naked? :wink:

Don't feel bad Snokks, we all get those days. They start in at around 41 years of age (you listening Audrey?) and from then on it is totally hopeless. Bridget's name is Sullivan.

Anybody know if she was related to the "Fighting Sullivans" of world war II?

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes Steve, a joke should be made out of everything. Audrey really is your favorite Bordenite isn't she ?

Tracy...
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

theebmonique @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 pm wrote:Yes Steve, a joke should be made out of everything. Audrey really is your favorite Bordenite isn't she ?

Tracy...

I don't have a favorite "Bordenite", at least not yet. I like Audrey because she has a sense of humor. Some people get and stay too serious for too long. Never cared for grumpy people who keep their nose to the grind stone. Trading stocks can make a person very tense so taking a light hearted view of things really helps.

My third grade teacher had no humor! I told myself that when I get to be her age (rear view mirror) that I would learn to laugh at myself, the world and most everything else. I have a serious side to me but I keep it mainly in the gym. Don't laugh but a friend gave me a gym shirt that says, "51% nice guy, 49% Mike Tyson. Don't push it." Maybe he was giving me a hint? There is a time to be serious and a time to smile.

The only Bordenite I don't like is that pain-in-the-neck that Stefani got rid of a few weeks ago. What tree did he fall out of?

But, in all seriousness, maybe we should call ourselves "Lizzieites!?" Just kidding. :wink:

-1bigsteve (o:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I agree that being too serious...all the time, is not good. But, I also think that seriousness does have it's place. I just feel that we were trying to help Snok, and thought you were making light of our attempts. LOL...my mistake ?

Tracy...
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

theebmonique @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:29 pm wrote:I agree that being too serious...all the time, is not good. But, I also think that seriousness does have it's place. I just feel that we were trying to help Snok, and thought you were making light of our attempts. LOL...my mistake ?

Tracy...

No, just trying to take the edge off of "are you forgetful?" I like Snokks and did not want her to think any of us were being "critical." It is easy for a person to mis-read a post, especially when there is no "light heartedness" plainly evident, such as a smilie.

-1bigsteve (o:
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

I agree with Steve.

The "are you forgetful" comment, among many other comments toward Snookums, seems to be a common occurrance on this forum. I notice lots of passive undermining going on. It doesn't seem like "help" to me when every post that Snokkums makes gets scrutinized by a few people all the time.

Many topics and posts on this forum are REPEAT posts. The same topics seem to be discussed over and over and over and over...so what if Snokkums post was already mentioned?

Are you guys forgetful, or what?
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

posted twice :oops:

Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OK...so what you are saying is that if you judge a post of someone else's to have an edge that you feel needs softening, you will "edit" it yourself ? (I sincerely apologize if you had already had Audrey's permission to 'take the edge off' of her post.) I believe that if we post within the rules of the forum, that the only 'editing' of our posts should be due to our own decision to do so, or at the request of the forum administrator, should she deem it necessary.

Tracy...
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

MD! I may be 41 Mr. Steve.. And I guess I do not know your age---- But I do know that if I were to permit you to, say--take me out dancing.. You would need to sit down long before I would!

Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

theebmonique @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:19 pm wrote:OK...so what you are saying is that if you judge a post of someone else's to have an edge that you feel needs softening, you will "edit" it yourself ?

Tracy...
He didn't edit anything. I think he's just being a nice guy, and doesn't want someone's feelings to get hurt. There is nothing wrong with that. He probably noticed how Snokkums gets ganged up on a lot of the time, and just wants to make her feel better...or make her feel like someone's in her corner.

But that's just my opinion.

Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

He didn't edit anything. I think he's just being a nice guy, and doesn't want someone's feelings to get hurt. There is nothing wrong with that. He probably noticed how Snokkums gets ganged up on a lot of the time, and just wants to make her feel better...or make her feel like someone's in her corner.
I apologize Elizabelle, I should have been more clear. When I put edit in quotes I was referring to what had been done to another's post...not that he had literally gone in an edited the post. We are all in Snok's corner, that's why we try to help her, as we would anyone else from the forum.

Tracy..
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

[b]Audrey @ Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:07 pm[/b] wrote:Sorry for the teaser subject line-- But I didn't want to give it all away!

I have a job!

Some of you may know that since my triplets went off to Kindergarten last year I have been experiencing terrible "empty nest" syndrome and depression. For the past 16 years I have had small children or a baby to care for. I had Alax when I was 21. (A mere child myself!) I just turned 38. My life has been "momming"...

I know this is off-topic, Audrey, and I hope that I don't come across as confrontational, but I'm terribly confused!

If you turned 38 last year on January 11th, how could you have turned 41 this year on January 11th? So wouldn't you have had Alax at 24 instead of 21?

I only bring this up because you mentioned in this thread that you were 41 and you could outdance Steve. I know you were just joking in light fun, but I'm baffled by your comments about your age...

Since Snokkums was accused of being forgetful by you, I thought that your conflicting posts about your age might be due to forgetfulness too! :smile:

Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
sguthmann

Post by sguthmann »

for pete's sake, can we just stay on-topic for one thread?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Elizabelle @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm wrote:
[b]Audrey @ Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:07 pm[/b] wrote:Sorry for the teaser subject line-- But I didn't want to give it all away!

I have a job!

Some of you may know that since my triplets went off to Kindergarten last year I have been experiencing terrible "empty nest" syndrome and depression. For the past 16 years I have had small children or a baby to care for. I had Alax when I was 21. (A mere child myself!) I just turned 38. My life has been "momming"...

I know this is off-topic, Audrey, and I hope that I don't come across as confrontational, but I'm terribly confused!

If you turned 38 last year on January 11th, how could you have turned 41 this year on January 11th? So wouldn't you have had Alax at 24 instead of 21?

I only bring this up because you mentioned in this thread that you were 41 and you could outdance Steve. I know you were just joking in light fun, but I'm baffled by your comments about your age...

Since Snokkums was accused of being forgetful by you, I thought that your conflicting posts about your age might be due to forgetfulness too! :smile:

LOL!

If you were to read a bit deeper on the forum you would get it...

Otherwise, you can just continue your bitchy little witch hunt.... Your opinion holds little interest for me....

When I was a child the girl who used to serve our breakfast had really terrible breath.. I mean-- you could smell it sitting there as she was moving around the table. I complained to my mother who scolded me severly and told me "Audrey, when someone has a habit or a personal 'issue' that offends you-- ignore it."

You like to stir up trouble.... It's your "issue".

With that in mind... I will not be repsonding to you or your posts again. Au revoir......
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

No...I guess I don't get it, because you didn't answer my question!

How can one go from 38 to 41 in one year? I'm just curious is all. It's not a "bitchy little witch hunt."

I just thought since you went off topic and asked Snookums if she was forgetful, that I could ask you the same thing.

Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

How am I stirring up trouble? I asked a simple question, and you have yet to answer it.

You asked another person in this thread if they were forgetful. How is that not stirring up trouble on your part?

Oh well.

Thanks for comparing me to a "servant with bad-breath" that you had as a little girl! I love all of your wonderful stories! Too funny! :lol:

Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Ebelle...may I request that if you wish to continue the off topic discussion you have chosen, that you do it via PM's or email. We need to either get back to the original topic or end it.

Thank you.

Tracy...
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

With all due respect Tracy, I could request the same from you. You veered off topic on this thread before I did. You don't see me telling you to continue your conversation VIA e-mail or PM, do you?

Are you an administrator or a moderator? If so, then I'll respect your wishes; but if not, then I don't believe you have any right telling people what to do.

Thank you.

Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

theebmonique @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:19 pm wrote:OK...so what you are saying is that if you judge a post of someone else's to have an edge that you feel needs softening, you will "edit" it yourself ? (I sincerely apologize if you had already had Audrey's permission to 'take the edge off' of her post.) I believe that if we post within the rules of the forum, that the only 'editing' of our posts should be due to our own decision to do so, or at the request of the forum administrator, should she deem it necessary.

Tracy...

Excuse me, Tracy, but I was not editing anybody's post or changing it's meaning as you seem to imply. It is very easy for someone to mis-read a written comment. I did not want Snokks to get the impression that Audrey ment any "slight" when she said "are you forgetful?" Without a smilie a person could get the wrong impression. I know what Audrey ment and you know what Audrey ment and I just wanted to make sure Snokks knew too. Thats' all. Elizabelle understood what I ment. Thank you, Elizabelle.

Now, what else can we talk about? :smile:

-1bigsteve (o:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Audrey @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:23 pm wrote:MD! I may be 41 Mr. Steve.. And I guess I do not know your age---- But I do know that if I were to permit you to, say--take me out dancing.. You would need to sit down long before I would!

Your asking me out, Audrey? Wait, I'll be ready in 5 minutes!! I've never danced in my life. Have you ever read June Havoc's first auto bio? Those marathon dancers danced, if you can call it that, for weeks! I may not know how to dance but if I got you into the gym and put my dumbbells into your hands you wouldn't last a minute! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Steve,

I totally understood what you were saying to Snok. I only wondered why you thought you should interpret Audrey's post for Snok when I would think that would be Audrey's prerogative to do, if in fact it needed to be done. I know if one of my posts needed "interpreting", I would hope to be the one to do it.

I don't know that there is any requirement for using similies. Maybe I should look into it.

Tracy...
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

theebmonique @ Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:11 pm wrote:Steve,

I totally understood what you were saying to Snok. I only wondered why you thought you should interpret Audrey's post for Snok when I would think that would be Audrey's prerogative to do, if in fact it needed to be done. I know if one of my posts needed "interpreting", I would hope to be the one to do it.

I don't know that there is any requirement for using similies. Maybe I should look into it.

Tracy...

Tracy-

I was not "interpreting" nor was I "editing" anything. I was letting Snokks know, in case she wasn't sure, that Audrey was not "slighting" her. But tell me, Tracy, with all due respect, what business is it of your's what I say to Snokks? Snokks and I are grown people. If we want to say anything to each other that is our business. No offence, but did someone set you up as boss? I don't hear Audrey throwing a fit so why do you seem to be up-tight? Can't people speak in a friendly manner without you jumping on them?

You know there is not any requirements for using smilies. Your last comment, "I don't know that there is any requirement for using smilies. Maybe I should look into it" sounds a little sarcastic. Now if you had put a smilie at the end you would have taken some of the "edge" off of it. It would have sounded more friendly. Without seeing the other person's face and hearing their voice it is very easy to misunderstand their meaning. Using smilies help convey our true meaning. I'm sure you are probably a real nice person but the way you jump on grown people may give some of them the impression that you may be a grouch or at least pushy.

Now that I've made this one thing perfectly clear what do you say we bury the issue? This is my last response to it. What else can we talk about? I know, how about your bunions? Just kidding. :wink:
augusta

Post by augusta »

Goodness - what was the topic? Oh, yeah. Snookums asked if Bridget's last name was "Kelly".

Snook: Dr. Kelly lived next door to the Bordens. (I believe on the south side of the house.) Their servant girl was "Mary Doolan". She was outside washing the Kelly's windows at the same time Bridget was washing the Borden's windows.

Despite how we often hear that it was 'unusual' for Bridget to be washing the windows, and suspicious because it was on that day, that isn't altogether true.

Second Street was a busy street, both with vehicle and pedestrian traffic. If you go to Fall River, you will see how close the Borden house was to downtown Fall River. That was one of the reasons Andrew moved there. Anyway, windows got dirty - I'm guessing kind of fast.

Bridget washed windows like every two weeks. I don't know how often Mary Doolan washed the Kelly's windows, but I think her doing it coincidentally the same day Bridget did hers could tell us that it was perhaps a common chore.

I saw part of that show for the first time recently. I didn't hear how they referred to Mary Doolan or Bridget. But Mary Doolan was the "Kellly's girl" and Bridget Sullivan was the Borden girl's name.

Even later in life, Bridget's last name was still 'Sullivan', as she married a man named 'John Sullivan'.

I never heard of Bridget being related to the "Fighting Sullivans". 'Sullivan' is a pretty common name - especially in Fall River's gilded age.

BTW, I know Audrey somewhat and Tracie quite a bit. Neither of them are wicked witches. Tracie especially is actually one of the sweetest persons I know.

C'mon now. On the count of three let's all just say 'I'm sorry". One ... Two ... Thr -