Can't someone comment on my Hosea Knowlton Whittling?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

ddnoe

Can't someone comment on my Hosea Knowlton Whittling?

Post by ddnoe »

Did you like it? Dislike it? Find errors in it?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

At quick glance it looks interesting and well researched, but I haven't been able to devote time to it yet. We've had a crabby. ill five year old this week and our own magazine had to go to press on Wednesday.

I'll get back to you when I've had a chance to really sit down and enjoy it.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I’d not yet gotten ‘round to reading your Knowlton piece until just a few minutes ago, Denise. What follows is a “first-read” reaction which at this point will be a bit brief perhaps – but here goes:

I find your portrait of Knowlton fascinating. You've taken a man who’s a relative historical paradox – famed to some, yet unknown to a great many – and within a few pages or so given him the gift he’s been dispossessed of now for five-score years and three, give or take a few weeks: Life, a beating heart, and a personality. That’s a difficult thing to do so much of the time, particularly as these famed figures recede into the past and into history.

I’d like to have seen Knowlton at work I think, as likely he’d rival any of today’s famous lawyers. It would have been a treat too tho to witness the quest for the wanted cigar. Little things mean a lot as the song says – particularly when it comes to bringing a “portrait” to life.

Well done! :wink:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I enjoyed it as well. I was especially interested in Mr. Knowlton's work in helping to abolish the death penalty in Massachusetts.

I lived in Massachusetts for some time, it was my first home in America. I have always considered it somewhat progressive in areas of civil rights. Mr. Knowlton appears to be somewhat of an academic and in my experience people like this are often more liberal in this area.

Thank you for the information. It was a well written article.
Lizthemadcow

Post by Lizthemadcow »

I would be glad to comment on it if I could find it. You wouldn't be able to give me a link to it, would you?
"We shall board our imagined ship and wildly sail among sacred islands of the mad til death shatters the fabulous stars and makes us real."
Lizthemadcow

Post by Lizthemadcow »

Nevermind. Found it. Sorry, sometimes I'm a little slow. Blonde, ya know.
"We shall board our imagined ship and wildly sail among sacred islands of the mad til death shatters the fabulous stars and makes us real."
ddnoe

Post by ddnoe »

doug65oh @ Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:24 pm wrote:I’d not yet gotten ‘round to reading your Knowlton piece until just a few minutes ago, Denise. What follows is a “first-read” reaction which at this point will be a bit brief perhaps – but here goes:

I find your portrait of Knowlton fascinating. You've taken a man who’s a relative historical paradox – famed to some, yet unknown to a great many – and within a few pages or so given him the gift he’s been dispossessed of now for five-score years and three, give or take a few weeks: Life, a beating heart, and a personality. That’s a difficult thing to do so much of the time, particularly as these famed figures recede into the past and into history.>>

(Denise) Thank you very much! It's always wonderful to know one's work has been appreciated. I hope you might be motivated to read some of my other work as well if you haven't already perused it.

I’d like to have seen Knowlton at work I think, as likely he’d rival any of today’s famous lawyers. It would have been a treat too tho to witness the quest for the wanted cigar. Little things mean a lot as the song says – particularly when it comes to bringing a “portrait” to life.

Well done! :wink:
ddnoe

Post by ddnoe »

Audrey @ Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:33 pm wrote:I enjoyed it as well.

(Denise) Thank you.

I was especially interested in Mr. Knowlton's work in helping to abolish the death penalty in Massachusetts.

I lived in Massachusetts for some time, it was my first home in America. I have always considered it somewhat progressive in areas of civil rights. Mr. Knowlton appears to be somewhat of an academic and in my experience people like this are often more liberal in this area.

augusta

Post by augusta »

Denise - I always enjoy your articles, both in the old LBQ and in The Hatchet. I think you write well and on a reader's level. I tend to skip articles where someone has several degrees after their name and they write to - I dunno - but it ain't to me. They write way over the general reader's heads. I think you are capable of doing that, that you have the smarts, but you keep it blessedly simple. I don't think I've ever read something of yours I haven't liked. I am thrilled that you are a regular contributor to our magazine.

I printed this issue out and am reading it, page by delicious page. I look forward to reading your article. Knowlton is a favorite character of mine.

When I read it, I'll post on it. I'm guessing I will really like it.

Good for you for posting, too.
ddnoe

Post by ddnoe »

augusta @ Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 pm wrote:Denise - I always enjoy your articles, both in the old LBQ and in The Hatchet. I think you write well and on a reader's level. I tend to skip articles where someone has several degrees after their name and they write to - I dunno - but it ain't to me. They write way over the general reader's heads. I think you are capable of doing that, that you have the smarts, but you keep it blessedly simple. I don't think I've ever read something of yours I haven't liked. I am thrilled that you are a regular contributor to our magazine.>>

(Denise) Thank you so much for the compliments. It is always heartening to know one's work has been appreciated.

<< I printed this issue out and am reading it, page by delicious page. I look forward to reading your article. Knowlton is a favorite character of mine.

When I read it, I'll post on it. I'm guessing I will really like it.

Good for you for posting, too.
>>

(Denise) I think this is one of the very best issues this fine journal has ever had.
Since you've enjoy my work, have you ever looked it up elsewhere? I've got several non-Lizzie related but true crime pieces up at http://www.crimelibrary.com and http://www.crimemagazine.com.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Audrey @ Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:33 pm wrote:I enjoyed it as well. I was especially interested in Mr. Knowlton's work in helping to abolish the death penalty in Massachusetts.

Did I miss something (probably) or were Sacco & Vanzetti executed in 1927. (While I heard of this case decades ago, not really interested in it.)
F. Lee Bailey had some interesting stories in "The Defense Never Rests".