At Hame in my Ain Countrie

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

At Hame in my Ain Countrie

Post by Harry »

Today, June 1, is the 77th anniversary of Lizzie's death.

Obituary from the Fall River Daily Globe as printed in Joyce Williams' Lizzie Borden: A Case Book of Family and Crime in the 1890's.

Her name and age are incorrect. It's "Lizbeth" not "Lisbeth" and she was 66 years of age not 68. She would have turned 67 on July 19th. The trial date is also incorrect.

June 2, 1927

LISBETH BORDEN
DIES AFTER SHORT ILLNESS, AGE 68

Miss Lisbeth A. Borden died this morning at 306 French street, where she had made her home for about 30 years. She had been ill with pneumonia for about a week, although for some time she had been in failing health.
A member of one of the old Fall River families, having been the daughter of Andrew J. and Sarah (Anthony) Borden, she had lived here all of her life. With her two maids she lived a quiet, retired life, paying occasional visits to out-of-town friends and receiving a few callers, whose staunch friendship she valued highly.
Taking an intense pride in the surroundings in which she lived, she did much to improve the locality, purchasing adjoining property that the same refined atmosphere might be maintained. Greatly interested in nature, she was daily seen providing for the hundreds of birds that frequented the trees in her yard, taking care that the shallow box where they gathered was filled with crumbs, seeds and other foods that they favored. She had miniature houses erected in her trees, and in these, frivolous squirrels made their homes. Her figure as she visited with her wild callers, many of whom became so friendly that they never seemed to mind her approach, was a familiar one in that section.
Another pastime in which she greatly delighted was riding through the country roads and lanes. She made frequent trips about the town in her motor car, but was never so pleased as when winding through the shady country by-ways.
Surviving Miss Borden is a sister, Miss Emma Borden of New Hampshire, formerly of Providence.

The death of Miss Borden recalls to many one of the most famous murder trials in the history of the state. On the fourth of August, 1892, Andrew J. Borden and his wife, Abby D. Borden, were found murdered in their Second street home. After a preliminary investigation, Lisbeth Borden was arrested and formally charged with the murder of her father. After a hearing in Fall River she was indicted by the grand jury and in November, 1892, was tried and acquitted in New Bedford.
The trial attracted statewide interest. No further arrests were ever made and the murder has remained an unsolved mystery since. Following her acquittal, Miss Borden lived a rather retired life and devoted much of her time to private charities of which the public knew but little.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Sorry, Lizzie.....I couldn't find anything made with Pansies. :cry:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

It is not a bouquet proper.....

Rest well Lizzie.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Victorian Mourning Superstitions

http://www.mourningmatters.com/mourning ... tions.html

Do not attend a funeral if you are pregnant.

If the deceased has lived a good life, flowers will bloom on his grave; if he has been evil, weeds will grow.

If several deaths occur in the same family, tie a black ribbon to everything left alive that enters the house, even dogs and chickens. This will protect against deaths spreading further.

Do not wear anything new to a funeral, especially shoes.

A person who transplants a cedar tree will die when the lower limbs of the tree reach the lenght of his coffin.

It is bad luck to meet a funeral procession head on. If you see one approching, turn around.

A person who sees thirteen white horses at the same time will soon be carreid in a hearse.

Large drops of rain warn of that there has just been a death.

Stop the clock in a death room or you will have bad luck.

To lock the door of your home after a funeral procession has left the house is bad luck.

If rain falls on a corpse, the deceased will go to heaven.

If you hear a clap of thunder following a burial it indicates that the soul of the departed has reached heaven.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Wonderful Kat!

One of the superstitions is one my mother told me...

But she didn't tell me it was bad luck-- but bad taste!

"Audrey dear-- you must NEVER wear new things to a funeral. Even hose"
diana

Post by diana »

Yes -- that's the only one I'd heard of before. I remember my grandmother cautioning me not to wear anything new to a funeral. I wonder why? To avoid flaunting good fortune in the face of the family's adversity? I'm just speculating here...
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

I think I've seen some old movies where they stopped the clock at the deathbed.

Rest in Peace, Lizbeth.

--Lyddie
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Rest in peace dear Lizbeth...

Tracy...Image
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.