Inventory of Lizzie's estate

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

bruceaddison

Inventory of Lizzie's estate

Post by bruceaddison »

Does anyone know a source for the inventory that was done of Lizzie's estate when she died? Both Lizzie's will and the probate records are available (the probabte records detailing the settlement of the estate), but I have not been able to locate the actual inventory. If anyone knows a source, I would be much obliged.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Do you have the Rebello book, Lizzie Borden Past & Present?

Pages 331-332 attributes an inventory to "Probate Court documents."

"A description of the above jewelry and furniture was located in Probate Court documents. The jewelry was appraised by A. Kopelman & Sons. Household furniture was valued at $370.00 by F. B. Hubley & Co. The furniture was given to Lee Cleverley Lanza. The jewelry was sold according to Helen's [Leighton] wishes. However, a review of probate records shows Helen's sister, Mrs. Mary L. Orters, of Portland, Maine, purchased the sapphire brooch.

JEWELRY (SCHEDULE B)

Lady's Yellow Gold Tiffany Diamond Ring $1,500.00
1 Diamond about 3 carats
Lady's Yellow Gold 3-Stone Diamond Ring 900.00
1 Diamond about 1 1/2 carats
2 Diamonds about 1 1/4 carats each
Lady's Yellow Gold Twisted 2-Stone Diamond Ring 500.00
2 Diamonds about 1 1/4 carat each
6 small diamonds
Yellow Gold Diamond, Pearl and Sapphire Brooch 200.00
1 Diamond about 1 carat
2 oval-shaped Sapphires
12 Small Genuine Pearls
$3,100.00

FURNITURE (SCHEDULE A)
Marquetry Slant Top Desk $75.00
Octagonal Inlaid Stand 15.00
Marquetry Drop Leaf Table 25.00
Brass Lamp with Glass Shade 10.00
Fan Back Windsor Chair 15.00
Cuckoo Clock 12.00
Blue Upholstered Arm Chair 15.00
Sheraton Card Table 75.00
Bric-a-brac in Living Room 5.00
Mahogany Inlaid Bureau 25.00
Cloisonne Vase and Stand 5.00
Gustafsberg Bowl 5.00
Seth Thomas Shelf Clock 8.00
Sheraton Chest of Drawers 25.00
Inlaid Three Drawer Bedside Table 15.00
Single Mahogany Four Post Bed 25.00
Ladder Back Rush Seat Chair 15.00 .

Note: Listed below is a description of jewelry owned by Lizzie.

In 1900, Lizzie purchased a ring set with three sapphires and two diamonds for $169.00.

Between 1899-1905, Lizzie purchased four rings set with diamonds for a total of $1,545.00.

Source: Diamond Record Book of Gifford Jewelry Store in Fall River, Massachusetts, Fall River Historical Society Archives.

Disposition of Lizzie's Jewelry (According to Her Will)."
bruceaddison

Post by bruceaddison »

Kat_ Many, many thanks. This is fascinating. I will definately have to order the Rebello book. It seems to be the ultimate source book. Thanks again.
Kat

Post by Kat »

You know, I never really thought about this inventory before- but notice there's not much on there!
Wouldn't Lizbeth have more than this stuff?
There must be more.
It's still in question, I would think. :?:

Anybody know anything?
bruceaddison

Post by bruceaddison »

Kat:

I think you are entirely correct. The probate records available on-line show the following:

Household furniture distributed $1,705.05
Books distributed 1,134.75
Silver, china, glassware 571.10
1923 Lincoln Sedan 1,000.00
1924 Buick Sedan 425.00
Jewelry 2,449.10

The probate records available on-line indicate how the estate was disposed of. Typically, these numbers would foot to an inventory done at the time of death. These inventories can provide a wealth of information, and were often almost excruciatingly complete- down to the contents of closets. It would appear that Leonard Rebello has a partial inventory listed. It would be great if anyone had a complete one. They should still be on file at the Fall River courthouse. By the way, the probate records indicate that Lizzie's 1924 Buick sedan was given or sold to Ernest Terry, her long-time chauffer and a beneficiary under her will.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I wonder if an inventory was ever made of the books in Lizzie's library? Wouldn't that be a helpful list to have! (And, it would be fun to know if Lizzie had a phongraph, and what music she liked to listen to, as well!)
Clearly, the inventory is not complete. Forgive my legal ignorance, but would the list have been made before the major legatees have chosen what they want to keep, or after?
Kat

Post by Kat »

My thoughts were similar- like maybe this inventory was only what that single legatee inherited?

bruceaddison, are you referring to a probate record on the website? I haven't looked at that in a long time! Thanks for reminding me!

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... stWill.htm
bruceaddison

Post by bruceaddison »

Yes Kat. I got this information from the probate records on the website.

Typically, when someone dies (especially when there is an estate tax due, as there was in Lizzie's case), all property of the deceased is inventoried- not only the deceased's investment property, but also furniture, clothing etc. This inventory is filed with the court as part of the probate documents. What is avaialble on the website are the subsequent probate records- disbursements to settle outstanding and ongoing bills, sales of property and receipts of cash and disbursments to legatees. The estate is finally closed when everything is "zeroed out"- all property recorded in the inventories is accounted for. I only wish we had the original inventories. If I ever get to Fall River, I intend to visit their version of probate court and request the records.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I find the fact that Lizzie's library was worth 1,134.75 as very telling.

It places her in the field of very avid reader or "Collector." She either had many, many books or a few very expensive collectables, since only one book can easily be worth a couple of hundred, even back in her time.

Back in Lizzie's time the average book, (novel) was selling for about 1.50 to 2.00 dollars a copy. Today the average book is about 19 to 24 dollars, which works out to around 10 times as much. Which means that in today's money her books would be worth over 12,000 dollars. And if the estimate is one for "Used and worn books," which would be of less value, and if we consider them to be just average books, and not great collectables, we are talking about a substantially large library.

In my career my job has taken me into well over 10,000 households and dare I say I found very, very few of them to have libraries, let alone one of Lizzie's worth.

But sadly, all to most of these books have melted into the book world and there would be no way of tracing most or any of them. Even if one could make claim that they were books owned by Lizzie, a strong provenance would need to be established, such as her signature in the book, or a book inscribed to her by a said author or close friend to be of any great value. As far as I know, there are very, very few of these, if any at all, in existance. But, I would not be surprise if there are one or two out there pressed between someone's library and overlooked.

Even her signature would be difficult to authenticate if such a book could be suddenly discovered.

I like to think that Lizzie was an avid reader. To the well to do in her day, when girls in college were rare, and One did not hold a regular job, there was little left to do then to read a lot, or volunteer One's services to church, or such as Emma, take care of siblings.

Many of these girls became shut-ins if they could not find a suitor. But not to under estimate these women, many grew up to be just as informed and as wise as their college trained men folk. :smile:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Interesting, I did a online search of the items I could of Lizzie's furniture. There seems to be a trend for the simple, graceful lines of 18th century furniture which is always in good taste. I wonder if she had any heavy, ornate Victorian furniture around at all at that point in her life? If the pic comes through, heres an example of what Lizzie's fan back Windsor chair would have looked like:

“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Those are very interesting comments, bruceaddison, mbhenty and Susan!
Thank you!!
bruceaddison

Post by bruceaddison »

My guess is that the interior of Maplecroft was filled with late Victorian/early Edwardian furniture. If I recall, Victoria Lincoln said that the interior "sadly fullfilled its architectural promise", or words to that effect. I surmise that it was typical upper middle class taste of the period- overfull of knick knacks and overstuffed furniture, at least by today's standards. As to the books, I remember reading that Lizzie loved Dickens and, if I had to guess, her library was filled with first editions and expensively bound volumes of the classics, hence the high value (for the time) placed on her books at her death.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Just curious as to what happened to all of her things that were listed. I know she left money to an animal haven, but what about her jewelery, books, furniture and the like. Were there any relatives that got some of the goods?
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
bruceaddison

Post by bruceaddison »

Lizzie's will leaves her jewelry to various friends and relatives. If I remember correctly, her furniture, etc, was divided between her cousin (I think her name was Grace Howe) and Helen Leighton who was Lizzie's closest friend in her later years. Grace Howe and Helen leighton were also the largest beneficiaries under Lizzie's will.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm told one should contact the Bristol County Probate Court in Taunton, in writing, and be specific as to exactly what you need. It's $1 a page, and so duplicate info, or unneeded info can run your cost up.

There's an online site for requests that I found- but I don't know anything more about it other than what they print on the site as to what they do for requests.

http://www.mass-doc.com/probate_record_request.htm

Bristol County Probate Court
11 Ct St
Taunton, MA 02780-3223  
(508) 824-4004

9-4 weekdays
1-2pm Records dept. closed

I don't know if this is the proper address to write to. I tried calling today to find out, but it was 4:30 when I tried.
bruceaddison

Post by bruceaddison »

Kat- thanks so much- I'll give them a call and share what I come up with.