Lizzie in Europe

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Lizzie in Europe

Post by Harry »

In an unidentified newspaper, dated June 5, 1893, under the heading Coming Trial of Lizzie Borden, I noticed this paragraph:

"Andrew Borden was 70 years of age and his second wife was three years younger. He was wealthy but very "close." This fact was shown at the inquest. For instance, on one occasion Lizzie went to Europe, and having spent all her money she wrote for enough to get home. This he refused to send, and the girl had to wait until her sister Emma had scraped and borrowed enough to pay her passage to Boston."

Then in Lizzie Didn't Do It by William Masterton, page 29:

"While touring Europe she ran out of money; Andrew, much as it pained him, had to send her more."

On the Emma item, I would have thought she would have had a round trip ticket. Of course she could have cashed the return voyage portion in.

More of the Legend or some truth in it? In any case it would be fun to know what financial arrangements were made for her stay. Thank goodness for Andrew that this was an age before credit cards. Imagine Lizzie with a credit card!

Masterton also mentions on page 28: "In 1890 she crossed the Atlantic to tour Europe. No one knows what countries she visited or what impressions she brought back to Fall River."

Coming from an author less knowledgeable than Masterton I would dismiss that paragraph as I was under the impression there was some sort of record of her trip at the FR Historical Society. I personally have never seen anything in writing detailing her trip, just snippets here and there.
diana

Post by diana »

That is interesting. We've all heard about Lizzie's trip to Europe. And two authors, Hunter and Belloc Lowndes made much of the trip when formulating their fictional takes on the case. But where are the details?

There's nothing in the trial with the exception of Anna Borden's testimony that Lizzie was unhappy at home. And at the inquest, the only mention is when Emma is asked when Lizzie went to Europe and if she accompanied her there.

The New Bedford Evening Standard August 6, 1892 seems to contradict that unidentified June 1893 item by suggesting:
"Last fall the young lady [Lizzie] made an extended trip of Europe, and some of her acquaintances said she had everything to keep her comfortable. She is a devout member of the Central Congregational church, and has been prominent in the work in which the young people of the society are engaged."

Perhaps the juxtaposition of these two sentences is where Hixson came up with idea that Lizzie was in Europe on church business. On page 13 he writes:
"Not even a trip to Europe on a church mission improved her disposition."

For some reason, Radin knows where Lizzie went, though. He says on page 39 -- "For her thirtieth birthday Borden gave Lizzie a three-month tour of Europe, and she visited England, Scotland, France and Italy. A group of young women from Fall River made the summer tour together. Since Borden always treated his daughters alike in financial matters, he probably offered Emma, the same opportunity, but she did not go. Emma never traveled outside New England in her life. During the trip Lizzie wrote to both her father and sister. The letters are filled with details of the many museums she visited. Lizzie stopped off in New York on her way home. The European souvenirs she brought back were mostly copies of museum paintings which had caught her fancy, and she gave them to friends as gifts. "

But Spiering is the best-informed, apparently. He not only knows where she went -- but what was in her suitcase when she came back! He claims on page 5:
"... Lizzie had taken a summer tour of Europe with a group of young women from Fall River, She had written back letters describing the museums she had visited, the parks in Paris and her greatest love, the theaters, where she had seen plays performed by the world's most famous actors. She had returned with a suitcase of souvenirs, copies of the paintings of Rembrandt, Michelangelo and Da Vinci and theater programs from plays starring William Gillette, Sarah Bernhardt and Lillie Langtry."

Now if we could only find his source.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks Diana, I was going to "hit the books" next.

I checked Rebello and on page 11 he has the following:

"With a party of friends, Miss Borden made a tour of Europe in 1890. She remained on the continent for three months, under the chaperonage of Miss Cox of Taunton... . They visited London, traversed Scotland, saw Paris and spent some time in Rome. Lizzie brought home a large collection of photographs of buildings and copies of works of the great masters. She was particularly found (fond) of Raphel's "Sistene Madona" and brought home several large copies of it. She had pictures of St. Peter's at Rome and other great European cathedrals."

He cites his source as the Boston Evening Recorder, dated June 5, 1893. I imagine Spiering used the same source but since he doesn't have his sources listed we can only assume.

That's pretty detailed information and I wonder where the Boston paper got it from. Certainly not Lizzie on June 5, 1893.
diana

Post by diana »

My guess is that this information in the newspapers is coming from that "party of friends" who accompanied Lizzie on her European jaunt. I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard for reporters to find passenger lists and hound those poor young ladies.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

telling.

Kat

Post by Kat »

hmmm, telling?

Does that look like Andrew and Abby genuflecting at the feet of his dear departed first wife Sarah, the "Mother" and Lizzie and Emma are those bored cherubs down below who are being looked upon by a disdainful Abby?
Those cherubs look like they are *up to no good* and they have *seen it all*!
:smile:

That's interesting researching Harry & Diana- thanks!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Saintly Sarah holding baby Alice? It's interesting how Lizzie's Europe trip almost always prompts someone to post the Sistine Madonna.

I always saw Rafael's cherubs (child spirits) as saying little children would be bored in heaven & daydreaming about earthly adventures.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Father, Mrs. Borden,
Wishing you were here. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Hehehehe...good one, FHG!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Susan

Post by Susan »

:lol: Nice job, FairhavenGuy, Lizzie as a cherub!

Looks like we might have Lizzie's itinerary here, but, the question that comes to my mind now is what cities in these countries did Lizzie and her group visit? If she did indeed visit the Sistine Chapel, we know she was in Rome. Wasn't Edinburgh, Scotland also thrown around as part of Lizzie's trip? :roll:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes that is very well done and quite a laugh, FairhavenGuy!
:smile:
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Susan, I think I read somewhere that while Lizzie was touring the Sistine Chapel, her sweetie proposed to her. . .oh, wait. . .that was somebody else. . .never mind. . .
Susan

Post by Susan »

:lol: Hopefully its not true what we have heard about what Lizzie's sweetie, David Anthony, did. You know, I did actually think about Lizzie a few times in Italy, things like she may have walked over this portion of the Colloseum, or stood and viewed this same sight that I'm viewing now, etc. It might be fun one day to travel to those European destinations that she visited. :smile:
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Love the cherubic Lizzie, Fairhaven! :lol:
I notice you made her the cherub with one wing. Maybe when the church tolls eleven, she'll earn the other one.

--Lyddie